Have You Ever Formally Protested or Boycotted Anything?

Here's the thing, riots HAVE worked. The US would not exist, if not for people rioting.

Do riots always work? Of course not.

Does non-violence work? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Martin Luther King and Malcolm X were contemporaries. They even shook hands. One believed in non-violent, peaceful resistance in all circumstances, while the other could not embrace it - he felt violence was best oountered with violence, not pacifism. Yet they both contributed to the advancement of civil rights in their time. Where would we be now, if either of these men had not existed in their time?

Violent protest is sometimes co-opted by greedy, cynical interests. Innocents are hurt. Injustices are committed. No ethical person can support this kind of action.

But too often I suspect the cause of non-violent protest is also co-opted by people who just want to see the issue go away (and no, I'm not saying you're one of these people, I'm addressing this more generally).

I read statements like, "Don't stand in front of me." "Don't inconvenience me." "Keep your voices down." "Don't be offensive." "Don't make me uncomfortable." "If you - or anyone associated with you - resorts to violence you've automatically invalidated your position, and I won't care about it any more." "You don't even know why you're protesting!" "You're not rational and/or well-informed enough to even have an opinion on this." And I wonder... Did we ever support the cause? How civil and polite must protesters be, before we'll hear them? And if we can convince them to drop their voices to a mere whisper... will we then turn around and say, "Clearly it's not such an important issue, after all!"

The thing is, thousands of people do not spontaneously take to the streets for no reason at all. Riots happen in the face of real injustice. They happen when people feel they have no other way to make their voices heard, when they feel desperate. This was true during the American Revolution, and it's still true today.

I don't know the answer, but I refuse to dismiss the message, simply because I disapprove of the messenger.

Good post and even Martin Luther King supported protesting. He was not as docile as history tries to portray him.
"A riot is the language of the unheard." MLK

There's a quote where he says he does not condemn riots but condemns the CONDITIONS that lead to rioting. And from what I've seen on TV, since it was mentioned in this thread, there has been no BLM "rioting"
Anyone who can't ever empathize with any protestors on anything, but must in the group doing the oppressing

You are tired of people standing up for their human rights?
The Russians are protesting against Putin now. The Chinese are protesting in France. The list goes on & on. People are supposed to accept oppression and brutality?
Good post and even Martin Luther King supported protesting. He was not as docile as history tries to portray him.
"A riot is the language of the unheard." MLK

There's a quote where he says he does not condemn riots but condemns the CONDITIONS that lead to rioting. And from what I've seen on TV, since it was mentioned in this thread, there has been no BLM "rioting"
Anyone who can't ever empathize with any protestors on anything, but must in the group doing the oppressing

Protesting that is going on IS NOT PEACEFUL..they cover their faces so nobody knows who they are,hmmm wonder why.....what has been going on is disgraceful and if you want to see how bad life really is go over to Iran or Iraq and tell me how bad you got it here..Follow the Law and enter this country LEGALLY and we have no problem, I don't care what color you are or your religion..

Never plan to do without my Chic Fil A 'samwich' and from the long string of cars waiting to get in the drive throughs at their restaurants here at lunch time, a lot or others won't either!

Also, love Hobby Lobby! I actually think all the 'protesting' just gives free advertising to the 'boycotted' businesses, in most cases, which is the opposite of what protestors intend. It doesn't seem to have 'helped' any of their causes, no matter.

Just not an activist - 'if' I have any protests, they are demonstrated in very silent ways - not attention getting!

I've participated in a number of protests and rallies. I have a long list of establishments I won't frequent including Hobby Lobby, Forever 21, Chick Fil A, Walmart, Home Depot, BP, and some major actors who's views on humans are so bigoted, I won't see them, nor allow them to be shown or viewed in my home. I write my congressional representatives often. I like to stay involved, but I don't like to be disrespectful. If I think an event is going to get out of hand or there is the potential for bad behavior, I won't participate.

I don't think that any of the establishments I don't frequent will be hurt by going to Michael's instead of Hobby Lobby, but I'd feel bad if I walked in those doors and gave them money, so that's really something I do to be true to myself. Don't know if that makes sense, but I wouldn't feel good about it.

I've participated in a number of protests and rallies. I have a long list of establishments I won't frequent including Hobby Lobby, Forever 21, Chick Fil A, Walmart, Home Depot, BP, and some major actors who's views on humans are so bigoted, I won't see them, nor allow them to be shown or viewed in my home. I write my congressional representatives often. I like to stay involved, but I don't like to be disrespectful. If I think an event is going to get out of hand or there is the potential for bad behavior, I won't participate.

I don't think that any of the establishments I don't frequent will be hurt by going to Michael's instead of Hobby Lobby, but I'd feel bad if I walked in those doors and gave them money, so that's really something I do to be true to myself. Don't know if that makes sense, but I wouldn't feel good about it.
No judgement from me.. but why forever 21?
Guess I'm protesting them too cuz nonevent of their stufff fit she me lol

Protesting that is going on IS NOT PEACEFUL..they cover their faces so nobody knows who they are,hmmm wonder why.....what has been going on is disgraceful and if you want to see how bad life really is go over to Iran or Iraq and tell me how bad you got it here..Follow the Law and enter this country LEGALLY and we have no problem, I don't care what color you are or your religion..

That statement is ridiculous! Protests take place daily in our country and abroad. The VAST majority of them are peaceful and do not involve masked protesters wrecking havoc in the streets. And I can't even figure out what your statement means with "Follow the law and enter this country LEGALLY and we have no problem." Is it your understanding that protests and/or rallies are all about immigration? There are protests going on everywhere both for and against the current administration. There were health care rallies all over our country less than a week ago (again, both for and against). There have been LGBT, Planned Parenthood, pipeline, and environmental protests just in the past few weeks (both sides). No masked protesters, no violence, and absolutely nothing to do with entering the country LEGALLY.

I find the Hobby Lobby boycott interesting. On one hand, they don't wish to pay for BC because it goes against their religion. OTOH, they start their full-time employees at $15.35/hour. The starting pay at Michael's is $8.46/hour.

Would you rather get free BC or earn an extra $14,331 per year (AND get Sundays off)?

Who is really "better" to their employees and for the economy here?

Just an observation.

No judgement from me.. but why forever 21?
Guess I'm protesting them too cuz nonevent of their stufff fit she me lol

I love their super cheap, pretty much disposable camis and leggings, etc., and that I could run and buy an outfit that I could wear once and be totally fine with it and not even have to try it on...but their labor issues finally got to be too much noise and I couldn't feel good about a random cheap date outfit. I was kinda sad about this one.

I find the Hobby Lobby boycott interesting. On one hand, they don't wish to pay for BC because it goes against their religion. OTOH, they start their full-time employees at $15.35/hour. The starting pay at Michael's is $8.46/hour.

Would you rather get free BC or earn an extra $14,331 per year (AND get Sundays off)?

Just an observation.

I don't do business with any company that allows religious perspectives into their corporate policy. Its America, its totally cool that they have that right! I'd fight and support any business' ability to conduct business however they want. The right is very important to me; I buy free trade coffee, exclusively, I pretty much never eat at chain restaurants and buy locally sourced food whenever its available. I'm not crazy, I don't refrain from eating avocados because we can't grow them here, but I TRY. Other people are glad for the jobs and commerce it brings to smaller towns. Neither position is "right." That's an amazing part of our great country. But, my dollars won't go to businesses who support any religion. I am now willing to look into alternatives to Michael's though, and verify that they pay full time employees so poorly, so you got me thinking and that's always appreciated!

Wow, that is a very offensive post on many levels, not to mention it seems like you are missing the point of many of the protests that are going on.

Just an observation.

Actually you can work for Hobby Lobby, get paid $15.35 an hour and still have BC coverage on your employee sponsored health plan. The owners of Hobby Lobby only objected to providing coverage for a few forms of BC, not all BC.
So, I'd definitely pick $15 and hour, Sundays off and BC pills over $9 an hour, Sat and Sunday shifts and an IUD or the morning after pill.

Its not that BC goes against their religion in general, they object to the forms of BC whose purpose is to terminate a fertilized egg.

Just an observation.
Very interesting. Thank you for sharing. This information has the potential to sway the opinions of some, if not many of the people that disagree with Hobby Lobby practices.

As is often the case, far too many people read only the "headlines" and not the "whole article" so to speak.

Sure have protested - mainly political so must not be discussed here.

The last protest march we were involved in had a write up in one of Murdoch's rags which had words to the effect of calling ALL of the protesters 'feral'. Interestingly, the protest drew supporters from all walks of life (doctors, lawyers, teachers, those in allied health, construction workers, the elderly, people with disabilities, people on opposing political sides etc). But we were all feral ;)

Over here it's the opposing group (people with ideals similar to yours) regarding refugees that desecrate the Australian flag by using it to cover their faces. They are a bunch of half wits who cannot even comprehend the bare basics of Australian history.

I have currently quit getting Chinese take out from the only Chinese food store in town. For political reasons so can't say why.

I swore I'd never shop at Hobby Lobby. Then one day I went in to get my mother a gift card for her birthday, I browsed around and realized my morals were not as strong as my desire to have their decor and now I'm there a couple times a month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter