Have You Ever Formally Protested or Boycotted Anything?

Watching the news, protests, boycotts, things like that, I was struck that I really have never formally protested anything. Even when the union of which I was a member went on strike, I worked behind the scenes. Have you ever marched for anything? Is this too political of a thread?

I'm currently trying 30 days of being news-free. No newspapaers, no national news, no local news. DD's Elementary school's newsletter is the only "news" allowed but that's only info about fundraisers and after school activities.

I have never protested or anything. I don't really consider not seeing a movie that looks bad to be a "boycott." In my younger days I wrote a few critical letters to some comic books that I felt weren't very good. These days I just let my wallet speak for me, but again, one person not buying something they don't even want is not really a boycott.

Yes. Won't say what so as to not stray into politics, but I will say it was specific policies, not a person or just generic hate mongering for hates sake.

Nope. Too often..unintended targets are can be hurt. Local communities and employees are often the losers in boycotts.

As a TV junkie.... had to give up the nightly TV when going through college. I won't give up the news.

I won't get into specifics for fear of getting this thread closed for being too political, but yes, yes I have. Many times.

Whatever side of an issue you are on, you have the First Amendment right (if you're an American) to make your voice heard. And even if I disagree with you, I will fight to the death for your right to say what's on your mind. And you should exercise that right while you still have the chance.

Also, on the subject of boycotts: it's hard to boycott a place that you wouldn't patronize anyway. Like, I'm boycotting Hobby Lobby, but I've been "boycotting" them my entire life since arts & crafts aren't my thing. Similarly, I'm boycotting Chick Fil A, but since I live a hundred miles from the nearest one, it's hardly a boycott. And when I'm near a Chick Fil A, I'm near a White Castle too. And boycott or no boycott, given the choice between Chick Fil A and White Castle, I'm picking White Castle every time.

For the people boycotting news channels and newspapers, how do you stay informed about what's going on in the world? Just curious.

I boycotted a TV station when they replaced Dark Shadows with Lassie in 1969. Ironically, in 1989 I went to work at that station.
Way to stick to your guns! :rotfl2:

There's a store I have boycotted for years because of the way I was treated. But I've never "officially" (whatever that means) protested.

Never have really protested or boycotted. Except I will never see Hamilton. So I guess that's my one boycott.
I can't manage to get tickets to Hamilton, so does that count as a boycott? ;-)

I've been to three marches in my life, and written a ton of letters/emails to elected officials or others.
My very first letter was to our local TV station when they took reruns of The Facts of Life off the air. I couldn't have been more than 10. Kudos to my parents for teaching me to speak out if I wanted to see change. (As far as I remember, The Facts of Life didn't come back on the air due to my letter. So sad.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter