Have You Ever Formally Protested or Boycotted Anything?

I have never protested. But tired of all the groups doing it. And the violence that comes with it. Wish one day the silent majority would march on. But we did win the election.

The electoral college didn't project the majority of voters. There was no violence during the Women's March I participated in - check your alternative facts, please.

I think there were too many messages and it muddied the waters. As I stated previously (missing now :rolleyes2) that I support the March for historical context and general awareness of women's issues and obviously as a free speech issue. I'll add I wish it had encompassed more actual issues women are really facing across the globe that I dare not address here, but it seemed it was more a protest of something I can't name combined with general venting and hating. Totally muddied it for me and it lost it's meaning. The media, both large scale (major networks) and small (as in FB etc...) ALL of them that I saw focused on the nasty. Even people I know who were there, what they were posting pictures etc..of, with a very small exception, was vulgar things. Again, for me, that squashed any "real" issues that may have been discussed. All I heard was nasty. :confused3

That was something that really disappointed me about the coverage. I know why it is done - pageviews, shares, ratings, whatever... controversy "sells" better than serious messaging. But I took maybe 200 pictures that day in DC, mostly of creative, witty, smart, or beautiful protests signs. And although I was in the city from about 9:30 a.m. until after 10 p.m., I didn't see any of the ****** costumes and other nastiness that seemed to be the heart of the story when I got home. It really wasn't all, or most, or even a sizable minority or I'd have seen it somewhere. And I'd have taken a picture too, because I have an immature sense of humor sometimes. But of all the shots I took, I can only think of two that wouldn't be DIS friendly (one for language, one for an off-color joke).

Last edited:
I'm only a year younger than her. Has she been working in the industry? One of the first tests I was taught when evaluating any story was to ask "Really, how can that be?"

She worked for over 10 years as an editor for a magazine. I don't remember what kind but I know it wasn't fluff-type magazines.

But I would think anyone with a degree in journalism would be able to utilize those questions like that one you mentioned of "really how can that be". It's not meant as a put-down to my mother-in-law but more it's clear that even those with at least some training don't necessarily utilize it when looking at articles and such on all various types of places where you get your information from.

It isn't ability, it is will. Even if someone has the tools to evaluate sources critically doesn't mean they're immune to "suspending disbelief" when it comes to things that support their personal beliefs or positions. And that's something much harder to overcome than simply not knowing better, because it is willfully chosen and people tend to get defensive if challenged over it.

It isn't ability, it is will. Even if someone has the tools to evaluate sources critically doesn't mean they're immune to "suspending disbelief" when it comes to things that support their personal beliefs or positions. And that's something much harder to overcome than simply not knowing better, because it is willfully chosen and people tend to get defensive if challenged over it.
I agree with that. I think that's why I pointed out that while she has a degree in that field, worked in that field, doesn't stop her from disregarding even the most obvious clues that what she was reading isn't true or mostly isn't true.

I do think that it is possible that being in that field might make you more aware or more skeptical (though certaintly not saying you have to be in that field obviously) but like you said you would have to make the choice to do that.

That was something that really disappointed me about the coverage. I know why it is done - pageviews, shares, ratings, whatever... controversy "sells" better than serious messaging. But I took maybe 200 pictures that day in DC, mostly of creative, witty, smart, or beautiful protests signs. And although I was in the city from about 9:30 a.m. until after 10 p.m., I didn't see any of the ****** costumes and other nastiness that seemed to be the heart of the story when I got home. It really wasn't all, or most, or even a sizable minority or I'd have seen it somewhere. And I'd have taken a picture too, because I have an immature sense of humor sometimes. But of all the shots I took, I can only think of two that wouldn't be DIS friendly (one for language, one for an off-color joke).

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I also participated in the D.C. Womens March and was in D.C. from 8:30 am to about 9:00 pm. Only kindness, no tension, even during times when we were crushed together and couldn't move!

The electoral college didn't project the majority of voters. There was no violence during the Women's March I participated in - check your alternative facts, please.
Let's not go too far with that alternative facts business. This thread is nit about the Women's March, even though the last few posts have mostly pertained to that. A LOT of the recent protests have included violence, which is what I assume the poster was referring to. If I'm wrong, I am sure I will be corrected.

And the electoral college strays too far into political talk, so we should probably leave that one alone. I'll just say it's there for a reason.

My mother-in-law has a journalism degree (she's 61 so it's not like she just graduated it's been a while) and yet she is one of the worst offenders when it comes to FB and believing all the false or mostly false stuff.

My mum's a university prof, and one of the finest minds I know, but she has a huge blind spot when it comes to anything printed in the New York Times.

Usually they're a good source, but even the Times doesn't get it 100 percent correct 100 percent of the time. But, for whatever reason, she can't see that. Even when I point out documented times they got it wrong, her answer is just, "But they were very quick to correct themselves!"

It makes me wonder what my blind spots are. (But, of course, it's a blind spot, and by definition I can't see it.)

I don't buy food at Chick-fil-a. I'm sure it's delicious but I have no problems passing it up knowing what they do with the money.

Well my Nordstrom card is chopped up, and I'm no longer shopping there, I'm Very selective on choosing movies, books, films and such.
I've eliminated websites and news stations.
So Yes, I'm Proudly taking my own stance in my own way. And saving money is an added Plus!

I won't get into specifics for fear of getting this thread closed for being too political, but yes, yes I have. Many times.

Whatever side of an issue you are on, you have the First Amendment right (if you're an American) to make your voice heard.
And even if I disagree with you, I will fight to the death for your right to say what's on your mind. And you should exercise that right while you still have the chance.

Regarding the 3rd paragraph.....I think I'd appreciate it more if the people that want to protest for others rights actually Asked me/us if I/we wanted them too, lol ??
A niece recently said she marched/protested for the Aunts in the family..
but 3 of us were together and Clearly she was under the wrong impression... as None of us needed or wanted To be represented by her.. despite what She thought were good intentions...just say'n

Well ...just cancelled Macy's card..and it feels Good! Other 3 family members are on board too! Yup, feels Real Good!

Last edited:
Well my Nordstrom card is chopped up, and I'm no longer shopping there, I'm Very selective on choosing movies, books, films and such.
I've eliminated websites and news stations.
So Yes, I'm Proudly taking my own stance in my own way. And saving money is an added Plus!
If you shop Amazon, may want to remove them too.

I'm not a faithful-boycotter... but, I don't usually patronize Starbucks (unless I have a gift card) or Target (unless it's the only option) or 84 Lumber...on the other hand, if there is a company doing something I believe in, I will find myself supporting them instead of a competitor. I'm a over all over Shonda Rimes (sp?) political leanings in the TV shows she produces, so those are no longer being watched in my household. No Madonna, Bruce Springsteen concerts will get my $$$. Or Dixie Chicks, but this past summer one of my friends' husbands gave her 4 tickets for the DC in Nashville and she invited me, I didn't give them MY money!

Last edited:
Let's not go too far with that alternative facts business. This thread is nit about the Women's March, even though the last few posts have mostly pertained to that. A LOT of the recent protests have included violence, which is what I assume the poster was referring to. If I'm wrong, I am sure I will be corrected.

And the electoral college strays too far into political talk, so we should probably leave that one alone. I'll just say it's there for a reason.

I honestly don't think most people realize how many protests/marches there are. There are marchers going on all the time. When your state legislature is in session, swing by the Capitol building and you will most likely see some sort of protest. They may range from just a handful of people to hundreds or thousands and they don't usually make the news. If you want to protest in DC with a permit, you need to do it months in advance because most days fill up. As in, literally, on almost any given day in DC, someone is protesting something. Usually lots of someones protesting lots of different things.

Unfortunately, as with most things, only the bad stuff makes the news. The *very few* protests that have become violent are obviously horrible and no rational person wants that. But to equate protests with violence in general really isn't accurate.

I honestly don't think most people realize how many protests/marches there are. There are marchers going on all the time. When your state legislature is in session, swing by the Capitol building and you will most likely see some sort of protest. They may range from just a handful of people to hundreds or thousands and they don't usually make the news. If you want to protest in DC with a permit, you need to do it months in advance because most days fill up. As in, literally, on almost any given day in DC, someone is protesting something. Usually lots of someones protesting lots of different things.

Unfortunately, as with most things, only the bad stuff makes the news. The *very few* protests that have become violent are obviously horrible and no rational person wants that. But to equate protests with violence in general really isn't accurate.

Seconding this.

When I was a child, in Trenton, New Jersey in the 1970s, there was a period of time when every Sunday it seemed had a gay rights march down in front of City Hall. I remember looking forward to my mother taking me to go see, after Meeting was over. Of course, being a child, I thought they were protesting for the right to let boys wear dresses, and also so that everyone could grow their hair any length they liked. :laughing: I got very passionate about this cause, and refused to wear skirts for awhile, in solidarity.

If there'd ever been any violence, or any risk of violence, my mum wouldn't have taken me. This was Trenton, where I apparently did witness a kid get shot at my school bus stop! (I say "apparently", because I've forgotten whatever it was I saw. The police called my mum.) So, she was very conscious of my safety.

And later, I lived a couple blocks from Parliament Hill in Canada. Frequently, I'd hear parades of protesters going by. I used to bring the baby out on the balcony to watch and wave. And there's always someone camped on the Hill, it seems. Never had any violence, that I recall.

Even now, in the middle of winter, there's a store down the road from me that has anti-fur protesters peacefully camped out front in folding chairs. They've been there for over two years now. :confused3 I really admire their persistence!

I live in my state's capital city. There is a daily noon protest that is either inside the state capitol's rotunda or outside on the sidewalk and it is completely peaceful.

Lol, the closest I've come to protesting is writing a strongly worded letter to a television network in my teen years when a television program I loved was not renewed.

I admire people who are willing to stand up for their strong convictions though, I'm just more of a go-with-the-flow type of person. I watched the entire Women's March on tv and know many women who attended the march in DC or in our city.

Also, I agree with the OP that it's amazing this thread stayed civil, given the turmoil that our country is currently experiencing. DISers are awesome!

I have never protested. But tired of all the groups doing it. And the violence that comes with it. Wish one day the silent majority would march on. But we did win the election.

People are supposed to accept oppression and brutality from the majority? And the majority as never been silent...always been oppressive and extremely hateful & violent towards the 'minority'

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter