Have You Ever Formally Protested or Boycotted Anything?

I want to do the Science March on "Earth Day" April 22nd. Here in STL MO it is from 12:30 to 3pm. We have a wedding at 4pm and a morning garage sale. Remains to be seen if I will be able to go. I would like to go and slip out early just to be there.

I want to do the Science March on "Earth Day" April 22nd. Here in STL MO it is from 12:30 to 3pm. We have a wedding at 4pm and a morning garage sale. Remains to be seen if I will be able to go. I would like to go and slip out early just to be there.

That is an interesting one, I hadn't heard about it. I'm not a marcher, and neither is my dh who is a scientist but I'm going to mention it to my dd, I'm sure she would be interested in it. There is a satellite march in our area, thanks for mentioning it.

That is an interesting one, I hadn't heard about it. I'm not a marcher, and neither is my dh who is a scientist but I'm going to mention it to my dd, I'm sure she would be interested in it. There is a satellite march in our area, thanks for mentioning it.

You are welcome. It is the "nerd march", lol. There are a lot of us out there.

How about "Be There IF you are Square"..haha

I boycott the City of Oakland, CA going back to the murder of several police officers about 8 years ago. I refuse to step foot in that city. I also boycott Seaworld, Six Flags Discovery Island, and any other park that keeps captive dolphins/whales/sea lions for entertainment value.

I boycott the City of Oakland, CA going back to the murder of several police officers about 8 years ago. I refuse to step foot in that city. I also boycott Seaworld, Six Flags Discovery Island, and any other park that keeps captive dolphins/whales/sea lions for entertainment value.
I googled it and came up with 4 officers killed in 2009, I may have missed it but what does that have to do with the city of Oakland itself? Other than that's where it transpired. I'm honestly curious, hopefully it's not political because I'd like to know.

Yes, this is in regards to the murders of the four police officers in March of 2009. There were several "tributes and memorials" for the murderer/rapist. Bystanders taunted the police as they arrived at the scenes of the murders. They called this child rapist a martyr, praised him, etc. It was beyond disgusting. Now, I know of course, that was a relatively small section of the population, but it just turned my stomach so much that I can't bear to go there.

Yes, this is in regards to the murders of the four police officers in March of 2009. There were several "tributes and memorials" for the murderer/rapist. Bystanders taunted the police as they arrived at the scenes of the murders. They called this child rapist a martyr, praised him, etc. It was beyond disgusting. Now, I know of course, that was a relatively small section of the population, but it just turned my stomach so much that I can't bear to go there.

So the actions of roughly 60 people affects your opinion on the whole city including those who helped the officers when they initial arrived and praised their actions (including one of the murders family members). I try not to let such a small population change my opinion on an entire group unless that small group is the ones making the rules/leaders.

Now, I know of course, that was a relatively small section of the population, but it just turned my stomach so much that I can't bear to go there.

I understand the visceral nature of your reaction, and you have every right not to visit places that make you feel uncomfortable, but it's important to be very careful whenever you slip into assigning collective guilt to a people. Be aware.

Whether it is the people of Oakland, or any other identifiable group, it is critically important, especially these days, to remember that they are all individuals. The actions of a few do not define the value and worth of the whole.

Collective Guilt:

"Yes, it's only a few, but it's their people who are doing it."

"They say they're opposed to what's happening, but why aren't they doing more to stop it?"

"This person actually did try to stop the bad guys? Well, he's one of the rare good ones. Too bad there aren't more like him."

"This stuff is symptomatic of the way their group thinks. Sure, they aren't all that extreme, but they're still members of that same group. They share the same values, and those aren't our values."

"You can't trust any of them. Even if they seem nice. We're too fundamentally different."

This is how we slide into the kind of thinking that allows atrocities to be committed against innocent people.

Heck, I know quite a few Canadians who are presently "boycotting" the entire USA, holding each and every American responsible for the current state of affairs. As someone who has friends and family in the US, I think it's ridiculous and unfair, and it makes me angry how easily we can blame certain people for the actions of others, regardless of where we stand philosophically.

So the actions of roughly 60 people affects your opinion on the whole city including those who helped the officers when they initial arrived and praised their actions (including one of the murders family members). I try not to let such a small population change my opinion on an entire group unless that small group is the ones making the rules/leaders.

There is a reason the families of the officers didn't want the Oakland mayor to speak at the funerals. I was surprised they even allowed him to be there.

I find the Hobby Lobby boycott interesting. On one hand, they don't wish to pay for BC because it goes against their religion. OTOH, they start their full-time employees at $15.35/hour. The starting pay at Michael's is $8.46/hour.

Would you rather get free BC or earn an extra $14,331 per year (AND get Sundays off)?

Who is really "better" to their employees and for the economy here?

Just an observation.

That's been a tough one for me for just that reason. I wouldn't boycott them over that as a company policy, but their role in leading a court case seeking to allow any business, anywhere, to don the cloak of religion to exempt themselves from laws they don't like doesn't sit well with me. Even moreso since the ruling extended the corporations-as-people precedent and accepted shifting the burden of providing a minimum quality of care from the business to the taxpayers as a reasonable measure to protect the corporation's right to practice its faith.

I wanted to be back in DC for that one, since it is over spring break, but we're probably going to settle for going to the Detroit satellite march. That one and the People's Climate March on the 29th are particularly close to DD's heart, since she's planning on majoring on marine or environmental biology and going into conservation as a career, and I do try to encourage/enable her desire to be involved to the best of my ability.

I find the Hobby Lobby boycott interesting. On one hand, they don't wish to pay for BC because it goes against their religion. OTOH, they start their full-time employees at $15.35/hour. The starting pay at Michael's is $8.46/hour.
Would you rather get free BC or earn an extra $14,331 per year (AND get Sundays off)?
Who is really "better" to their employees and for the economy here?
Just an observation.

According to information I got from Hobby Lobby themselves list starting pay at $10.23 for part time hourly. Part time is what one is overwhelmingly likely to get at Hobby Lobby to start. And at that rate even if they did get full time, which they don't, it would amount to just under $22,000 a year for the Hobby Lobby. Hardly anything to write home about or leave mother's basement for as the case may be.

According to information I got from Hobby Lobby themselves list starting pay at $10.23 for part time hourly. Part time is what one is overwhelmingly likely to get at Hobby Lobby to start. And at that rate even if they did get full time, which they don't, it would amount to just under $22,000 a year for the Hobby Lobby. Hardly anything to write home about or leave mother's basement for as the case may be.
You do want to put that though in the context of the industry. Hobby Lobby is retail. A $10.23 starting pay for retail!!! Heck yeah! And yeah most retail jobs that people take are part-time but a starting salary like that is really quite good for retail in general.

You do want to put that though in the context of the industry. Hobby Lobby is retail. A $10.23 starting pay for retail!!! Heck yeah! And yeah most retail jobs that people take are part-time but a starting salary like that is really quite good for retail in general.

Being merely bad just because others are totally terrible isn't something I would commend.

Part time workers aren't eligible for benefits anyway, so they're not really part of the equation. And it's still 20% better than Michaels part time help - who also don't receive benefits.

Well you could get a room mate or 2, and then move out and write home.

Being merely bad just because others are totally terrible isn't something I would commend.
The workforce is always going to be filled with jobs that pay lesser than others and I wasn't calling Hobby Lobby "merely bad" . My point was the $10.23 starting out is quite good. What in your opinion should every cashier in all of the United States make then as far as starting salary? To make it equal playing field assume part-time position.

*You're speaking to someone who was in retail from age 16 to age 22 so I completely understand what being in retail means*

I wanted to be back in DC for that one, since it is over spring break, but we're probably going to settle for going to the Detroit satellite march. That one and the People's Climate March on the 29th are particularly close to DD's heart, since she's planning on majoring on marine or environmental biology and going into conservation as a career, and I do try to encourage/enable her desire to be involved to the best of my ability.

I will have to look into the People's Climate March on the 29th. Is that in April as well? Might be an alternative to my busy day debacle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter