Have You Ever Formally Protested or Boycotted Anything?

Part time workers aren't eligible for benefits anyway, so they're not really part of the equation. And it's still 20% better than Michaels part time help - who also don't receive benefits.

I compared apples to apples. You did not.

The workforce is always going to be filled with jobs that pay lesser than others and I wasn't calling Hobby Lobby "merely bad" . My point was the $10.23 starting out is quite good. What in your opinion should every cashier in all of the United States make then as far as starting salary? To make it equal playing field assume part-time position.

*You're speaking to someone who was in retail from age 16 to age 22 so I completely understand what being in retail means*

No $10.23 isn't quite good. It's bad rather than terrible. Sorry. Not going to sugar coat it.

I compared apples to apples. You did not.

I compared full time to full time. If that's not your definition of apples to apples, we have very different definitions.

And because neither of your "apples" apply to the topic of employer provided health benefits, you may as well have compared pears or cars or anything else.

I compared full time to full time. If that's not your definition of apples to apples, we have very different definitions.

And because neither of your "apples" apply to the topic of employer provided health benefits, you may as well have compared pears or cars or anything else.

You're the one that went off on the tangent. And now you're complaining I followed you there? Do as you say and not as you did then. Check.

I made no statement about what people should be paid. My statement is $10 an hour is bad and nothing to write home about.

Totally OT but decided to take what is usually consider P/T and F/T (32 and 40 hours) and the difference between 10 at PT and 7.25 at full is only 1,580 for the year. So as you put it not good either way. Not saying I know what starting positions should "rightfully" be paid but to act like 10 part time is great compare to minimum wage full time would be missing part of the equation.

I made no statement about what people should be paid. My statement is $10 an hour is bad and nothing to write home about.
No but what you did say is that 10.23 wasn't good. So you have an opinion on what isn't good so I was asking what you think all cashiers should make. That shouldn't be difficult to pin down a number really since you already have the thought that 10.23 isn't good. Really to be fair too the number should be the same for every cashier in all parts of the U.S and every company out there.

Does anyone have the figures on how many full time vs. part time Hobby Lobby employs? I'm in our local HL a lot, and the same employees are there all the time. Not so at JoAnn's or Michael's. My impression has always been that there are far more full timers at HL.

You're the one that went off on the tangent. And now you're complaining I followed you there? Do as you say and not as you did then. Check.

But, you didn't follow me there. I made a point about the hourly wage of a full time employee potentially being enough to overcome other shortages in their benefit package, and you responded by listing the part-time wage. That's not following me anywhere. That's making your own tangent that isn't relative to mine in any shape or form. If you want to do that, go for it. But stop trying to tie it into my point because it's not relevant.

Totally OT but decided to take what is usually consider P/T and F/T (32 and 40 hours) and the difference between 10 at PT and 7.25 at full is only 1,580 for the year. So as you put it not good either way. Not saying I know what starting positions should "rightfully" be paid but to act like 10 part time is great compare to minimum wage full time would be missing part of the equation.

That one's kind of tricky because the part time worker may also be working part time at a second job. Or, maybe they use the free time to avoid paying daycare. But then again, the full-time minimum wage earner might have benefits like insurance, 401K, and paid vacation. Too many variables to say.

I do think it safe to say all other things being equal, most people would choose $10/hour over $8.50.

My dd works part time retail and works on average 10-12 hours a week. She makes $9 and hour. I know she would love an extra dollar an hour, that would fill her gas tank every pay period.
I worked retail for about 10 years, and rarely was a part time employee scheduled to work more than 20 hours a week.
Granted that was a long time ago, but I know enough teens working part time jobs now to know they aren't getting 32 hours a week, they are lucky to get that every two.

I will have to look into the People's Climate March on the 29th. Is that in April as well? Might be an alternative to my busy day debacle.

Yep, April 29. It was scheduled before the March for Science got rolling so they're back-to-back Saturdays.

I worked retail for about 10 years, and rarely was a part time employee scheduled to work more than 20 hours a week.
Granted that was a long time ago, but I know enough teens working part time jobs now to know they aren't getting 32 hours a week, they are lucky to get that every two.

Teens are much more limited than adult part-timers, though. At least they are in my state. Work rules for under-18s who are still in school limit them to ~10 hours a week maximum because school + work can't add up to more than 48 hours/week.

Most of the adults I know who work part time work 20-30 hours/week.

Yep, April 29. It was scheduled before the March for Science got rolling so they're back-to-back Saturdays.

Teens are much more limited than adult part-timers, though. At least they are in my state. Work rules for under-18s who are still in school limit them to ~10 hours a week maximum because school + work can't add up to more than 48 hours/week.

Most of the adults I know who work part time work 20-30 hours/week.

True, in fact most teens under 18 don't find jobs around here because most places start hiring at 18. I don't know any adults working part time in retail so I have no knowledge of of their hours. The teens I was referring to were 18 and 19 year olds.
I thought we were talking about moving out of mom's basement so I assumed the discussion was about young adults :)

Protesting that is going on IS NOT PEACEFUL..they cover their faces so nobody knows who they are,hmmm wonder why.....what has been going on is disgraceful and if you want to see how bad life really is go over to Iran or Iraq and tell me how bad you got it here..Follow the Law and enter this country LEGALLY and we have no problem, I don't care what color you are or your religion..

If you're in the oppressor group, you have no right to tell people how to fight for their lives.
And America is way more violent for a black person than is Iraq or Iran. Trust me, Black people could handle life anywhere because the real war zone is the good ole USA.

Last edited:
If you're in the oppressor group, you have no right to tell people how to fight for their lives.
And America is way more violent for a black person than is Iraq or Iran. Trust me, Black people could handle life anywhere because the real war zone is the good ole USA.
Have you ever been in a war zone?

Another I just thought of... kinda boycotting a couple places: won't go to Aruba because of how they treated the Holloways and won't ever go to Cuba and give my money to the Castros. There are other places I won't go but we don't fly internationally but we do cruise the Caribbean a lot.

Just curious over the Holloway bit? I do not remember much about the case but I don't recall Aruba treating the family in any extraordinary way.

Mind you, I wasn't inclined to go to Aruba after that, but seems to me the girl did not make the best decisions anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter