• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Angry lifting block out dates

Sorta true. Sorta not. I paid a higher price NOT to contend with block out tickets.

Disney cannot read your mind and know WHY you decided to travel when you did. If you're coming during peak period, you pay peak price – regardless of whether you're trying to line up with passholder block-outs, really love the heat or can only travel during that time.

The fact that Disney says so that guests can ride GMR one last time is crap. I say if you have Silver, pound sand. If you want to go on it that much, buy a pass or upgrade yours.

I planned a trip to Disneyland from the east coast our first and only time and after we booked Disneyland closed what seemed like half the rides to get ready for the 60th. So we sucked it up. We didn't get to go on the Matterhorn and a bunch of other rides.

We also went to DLP this past April and Space Mountain was supposed to be open but the renovations were running super late. And we sucked it up. Not sure if we will ever get back to Paris.

People get over the Great Movie Ride already. Good riddance. It's not good anyway. And I bet you have already been on it 100 times.

I think you may just have to suck this up too. Disney isn't going to take back their decision.
Got one question though, just how big an impact do you think this will have on your trip? Out of the entire number of guests in the parks what percentage are going to be passholders that were otherwise blocked out? Think maybe you are making a mountain out of a molehill?

I am going to suck it up. Just like peeps are going to have to suck up GMR is gone. But it doesn't stop them from complaining about it.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter if nobody goes. And there is no way to tell what if any impact it will have. Disney tells you that this time is blocked out so we will charge you more. Oh wait, it isn't but we will keep your money anyway.

The fact that Disney says so that guests can ride GMR one last time is crap. I say if you have Silver, pound sand. If you want to go on it that much, buy a pass or upgrade yours.

I planned a trip to Disneyland from the east coast our first and only time and after we booked Disneyland closed what seemed like half the rides to get ready for the 60th. So we sucked it up. We didn't get to go on the Matterhorn and a bunch of other rides.

We also went to DLP this past April and Space Mountain was supposed to be open but the renovations were running super late. And we sucked it up. Not sure if we will ever get back to Paris.

People get over the Great Movie Ride already. Good riddance. It's not good anyway. And I bet you have already been on it 100 times.[/QU

I'd suck it up too if I had a chance to go to DLP...but not in my cards. Glad you had a chance to go OP ;)

Who is paying more? Guests buying 1 day tickets. Anyone else? Multi-day tickets are the same price every day, no different pricing for those

I agree with the OP. Disney talks about providing a great guest experience, but constantly undercuts it by doing everything possible to stuff the parks full of people all year long. This AP move is just another example of that. The AP holders bought their pass knowing that there would be blockout dates. That was part of the deal. A "gift" to them is a slap in the face for everyone else, especially travellers who are paying a premium to visit WDW.

One of Disney's (stated or unstated) reasons for rapid price increases (which have been racing ahead of inflation, like a sprinter running by a turtle) is to reduce crowding. In fact, they couldn't care less, and only seem happy if they're running the world's best themed sardine cans. Their absurdly high capacity numbers (to provide one example) attest to that; when the park is at capacity, people can barely move or breathe, trapped in a sea of humanity. The fact is that the quality of the guest experience is eroded by excessive crowding. Theme parks exist in physical space, not cyberspace.

I can hear the apologists already: "Disney is a publicly traded company, it exists to make money for its share holders, etc." Sure, but does that mean anything is acceptable? If their guests are miserable at times, that's okay because Disney makes more money? Disney would make even more money if they put a vacuum cleaner in guest's pockets and siphoned out every last dime. I guess they should do that, since they're a for-profit company and the greedy shareholders would be happy?

I have news for you, the guests matter, too. This is not Wall Street Week, this is a FAN forum. Where do you think all those park profits are coming from, anyway? That's right, from OUR beleagured, shallow pockets. We have a right to expect a quality guest experience, not a rock 'em, sock 'em cluster*!#& with 10,000 of our closest friends.

I applaud Disney for adding capacity and reinvesting billions into their parks. But their sardine can policies show nothing but contempt for their guests. It's not ALL about the almighty dollar. Disney is earning billions. Will enough ever be enough?

Last edited:

People get over the Great Movie Ride already. Good riddance. It's not good anyway. And I bet you have already been on it 100 times.

I have silver.

Instead of me going to pound sand can you email Disney and ask them to extend the photopass option to me that you have? An extra 10 days lifted just isn't good enough. I'd also like Dec 18th-Jan 2nd lifted on silver passes, because you know, there's still blackout dates for AP passes outside of these 10 days

I mean if you're going to be salty about rides being closed at Disneyland and even ONE ride in Paris, Disney World should actually give you something to be mad about. I don't think 10 days is enough for anyone to be mad

#SilverPassLivesMatter

Last edited:

WOW, maybe Disney isn't your kind of vacation. I can't imagine going somewhere I'm so angry about.

Aside that many of your facts are wrong, no reason to hate on a loved classic ride that is leaving ... just don't ride it again.

Disney is damned if they do and damed if they don't.
We've heard for months how Disney is sticking it to the guest for taking this and that away. They finally give something TO the guest and they are getting lambasted for it. Probably by some of the same folks who have complained about things being taken away. Ironic.

That's because, by giving something to some guests, they take away from others. People visiting during those dates this month and in August will have more people in front of them in line, and crowding the finite park space.

Last edited:
Silver passholders are mostly locals and other FL residents. There's nothing to say that this is going to heavily impact crowds or even impact them in a way you'd notice AT ALL.

Umm, Yea, it will. especially if the reason is to ride the great movie ride. What do you think we'll be riding when we are there? So now I should pay more money because the blockout date was when we knew we would be going to the park to stand in longer lines? Sorry but that's messed up.

That's because, by giving something to some guests, they take away from others. People visiting during those dates this month and in August will have more people in front of them in line, and crowding the finite park space.

And less hours at the parks because crowds are supposedly lower.

If you bought a gold or higher pass specifically for 10 days, that's not Disney's fault. If you went at all during June or July, you got what you paid for. Planning too far into the future seems to be a gamble with Disney, and unfortunately this time it's a "loss."

No that actually is Disney's fault, thats why the pass was bought. It's also not a minor upcharge for these passes.

It's interesting when locals are like "who cares" with no regard to the fact that tourists have bought airfare and accommodations. Maybe it is a big deal to them to have increased crowds. But they get called bitter

Not unexpected though

Last edited:
I understand why Disney did it. Lower crowds than normal = wanting more people in the gates, not that hard to figure out. But I can also understand why people traveling there and visiting during that time would be annoyed. The thoughts don't have to be mutually exclusive and I don't think anyone needs to be called "bitter" or ridiculous for being concerned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter