Angry lifting block out dates

My question is why do people care if someone cares about this?

If it doesn't affect you and/or you just don't care, great.

I'm sorry, there are just so many things in this world to be outraged over and Disney lifting black out dates so a few more guests can go to their parks isn't going to make the list. It's frankly venturing in to silly territory.

And for the record, I do have a trip during these dates.
Crowd levels in the parks can make a big difference to one's enjoyment of the experience. Especially for those who don't get to go back many times each year. Why do you care if someone else cares about it?

This would make me mad too. I purposely buy a high level Disneyland AP precisely to be able to go when the lower passes are blacked out (because they increase the crowds SO MUCH when they are not blacked out.)

Disneyland is a completely different animal. If they are unblocking at WDW it means the crowds are much lower than they anticipated. Probably isn't going to be a massive influx of locals at the Orlando parks due to this. For the most part you probably wont' be able to tell the difference. and I also don't get being upset because you paid more for a gold pass and now the silver people are going to be there in August. Won't be that many of them, and you really can't anticipate when or if the blackout dates will be lifted, which is why you buy the pass that corresponds to the dates you want to go.

In other words, on the list of things to worry about, this isn't ranked too high.

The lift of the blackout in August is because GRM is closing and it's giving passholders a chance for a last ride. The lift is reported for only DHS and Epcot. Epcot because Energy will be closing. Not exactly a reason to get angry.

All parks per Disney. But yeah, it only alters tomorrow through Aug 11. They can say what they want about attractions closing and the reason why, but it's about low park attendance.

This would make me mad too. I purposely buy a high level Disneyland AP precisely to be able to go when the lower passes are blacked out (because they increase the crowds SO MUCH when they are not blacked out.) If Disney suddenly lifted those black out dates I would be livid. I think of each level of pass as paying "per day" to access the parks. It is not cool for Disney to suddenly make one level of pass more valuable than it was when purchased without doing the same for all passes.

I could care less about lower or higher times, but if you pay a higher price for non blockout dates, they shouldn't be letting lower price people in on those days period.

I think that Disney is trying to up attendance during a massive construction crunch. With AK really being the only theme park that isn't slotted for any construction in the next year or two, we're going to see MK & EPCOT start construction and DHS is about to close down yet another ride and continue their current projects.

This, by the way, is just the construction in the parks. Roadways at WDW have been under constructions for several years now. It's less and less "magical" and more like a daily construction zone.

Disney has to do something in an attempt to appease the customers. When you're looking at closures and construction that's going to be eye sores everyday of your trip, the only thing you can do to bring in the customers is offer more. On top of that, current AP holders who are DVC or FL residents are capable of changing their tickets from Gold to Platinum Plus at no charge. This, essentially, negates the block out dates as well.

At the end of the day tho, Disney is a company that makes money by getting people in to the parks. Sell more food & drink, sell more merchandise and get more people to stay in the resorts. This is the only way that they can continue to make money. So, being angry won't resolve the problem... If you want, call Disney Guest Services and talk to them about your frustrations. They might do something for you. But, being angry won't help you enjoy your upcoming trip.
How do I change my pass to the premium? I know DVC had this deal, I didn't know Florida residents do. I didn't see anywhere to upgrade my pass

Wow. Never occurred to me that people would be mad about this. Every day I see people complaining about Disney not giving what they consider to be enough. Not enough notice for special events at Food & Wine. Not enough options. Not enough samples, not enough wine in the glass. Not enough compensation for the construction going on at certain properties. On and on and on. And when I saw this announcement I thought that was an incredibly cool thing for Disney to do. They are giving something MORE that they don't have to. Surely everyone should be happy about that?

They sprung this announcement of closing these rides in the middle of the blockout dates, leaving only 2 days open to ride them one last time. If you don't live in the area, you might not be able to make it during those two days. They gave those passholders an extra eleven days. If you paid for the higher priced pass, you still get lots more days than that.

I dunno. I guess if you're mad, you're gonna stay mad and that's your right. Personally I think it's not worth it to get worked up over what other people are doing. Sometimes people catch a break. Maybe you didn't catch one this time, but you certainly will some other time. It doesn't do any good to begrudge someone else their good fortune. (And this is coming from someone who has very rarely caught a break.)

And apparently Disney can't win no matter what they do. I am really surprised the number of people that continue to go there, considering all the horrible things I keep hearing about it. It's the happiest place on earth. Try to let yourself be happy. You have the means to buy an annual pass, and some other people may never get to go once in their lives. I think you got the better deal.

This isn't a permanent removal of blackout dates for us lowly silver pas holders. They're lifting it ONE WEEK early, this one time, because they're closing two attractions permanently with very little warning.

Until this announcement today, blocked pass holders would have had 2 days to get a last ride on GMR. Can you imagine the lines?

Would people seriously consider calling Disney and "demanding their money back" for their pass because they're giving other people (who also pay a ton of money for their passes) a few extra DAYS to get a last ride in? My god, people. You must be really lucky if this is the kind of thing you get outraged over.

I'm terrible at being angry. It gets me all worked-up and nothing good ever comes of it, I gave it up except for very special circumstances. :)

This isn't a permanent removal of blackout dates for us lowly silver pas holders. They're lifting it ONE WEEK early, this one time, because they're closing two attractions permanently with very little warning.

Until this announcement today, blocked pass holders would have had 2 days to get a last ride on GMR. Can you imagine the lines?

Would people seriously consider calling Disney and "demanding their money back" for their pass because they're giving other people (who also pay a ton of money for their passes) a few extra DAYS to get a last ride in? My god, people. You must be really lucky if this is the kind of thing you get outraged over.

When I pay extra so I can be there on those 2 days that are blocked out, yea I'm mad and I have a right to be mad.

I guess Angry is a hard word. Everyone here takes everything in such stride. Then I am sure Disney won't have a problem refunding everyone who paid for a higher price pass. Or better yet, the happy go lucky folks on the boards can get up a collection to reimburse people. I don't look at it as "Disney Magic". Disney started this surge pricing nonsense. They want to charge higher prices to avoid block out dates. Stick with it. If they want to get people through the gates, lower prices. Don't take away something I paid for. Even if it were only for 11 days. What is to keep them from doing it longer? Why have block out dates to start with and charge higher prices to get around them? They didn't lower ticket prices for slower times of the year, they RAISED ticket prices the busier times of the year and then to give that away?

I think that was nice of Disney. I wish I had the ability to do GMR and Ellen one more time. :(

I don't think this was the OP's issue, but I can see feeling miffed if you purchased a pass specifically to cover the week that was originally excluded. If I were in that boat, though, I would chalk it off to "sometimes you win, sometimes you lose."

Sometimes, you get a fantastic deal from WDW; sometimes, you wish you had a crystal ball to see ahead.

No it isn't permanent, but Disney has done this in the past and will continue to do it in the future.

This is like anything else regarding crowds...people are on here constantly looking for the lower crowd weeks. They want to know about everything...Jersey Week, cheerleaders, tour groups. People try to figure out when the country's spring breaks are to try to see a pattern. The marathons. Mardi Gras. On and on.

So this is just that, in reverse. There's nothing more wrong about complaining about this as there is looking for the other events and patterns when you are planning your trip. It's all the same thing, just the other side of the coin.

This is a last-minute factor that will increase crowds during those days. How much is anyone's guess. The last-minute decision, as someone traveling that week, is irritating.

If you bought a gold or higher pass specifically for 10 days, that's not Disney's fault. If you went at all during June or July, you got what you paid for. Planning too far into the future seems to be a gamble with Disney, and unfortunately this time it's a "loss."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter