Angry lifting block out dates

When I pay extra so I can be there on those 2 days that are blocked out, yea I'm mad and I have a right to be mad.

The thing is when you buy the higher priced ticket no where does it say that higher price guarentees you no silver annual passholders (or whatever they call it now) it simply is getting into the parks during a peak capacity time they set based on travel patterns. The only people that paid more are people who bought single day tickets as that is the only people who see flex pricing.

Also just know that black out dates are always subject to change. Any pass (CM, AP, military etc) that has black outs always comes with a disclaimer that disney can change those black outs whenever they want.

Last edited:

Sorta true. Sorta not. I paid a higher price NOT to contend with block out tickets.
Silver passholders are mostly locals and other FL residents. There's nothing to say that this is going to heavily impact crowds or even impact them in a way you'd notice AT ALL.

I see it both ways.

I can understand feeling frustrated with Disney if you're travelling the first week of August. Everyone hopes for lower crowds. Nobody knows for certain if this will impact wait times....probably not, but maybe?

But I certainly don't begrudge the people who have their block out dates lifted. Good for them! I'd certainly be going if I was local.

Disney is damned if they do and damed if they don't.
We've heard for months how Disney is sticking it to the guest for taking this and that away. They finally give something TO the guest and they are getting lambasted for it. Probably by some of the same folks who have complained about things being taken away. Ironic.

We've heard for months how Disney is sticking it to the guest for taking this and that away. They finally give something TO the guest and they are getting lambasted for it. Probably by some of the same folks who have complained about things being taken away. Ironic.
Agreed. All by professional economists on internet forums, too. :rolleyes1

:rolleyes:

It's all about perception. Disney is sticking it to some guests by offering this to other guests. If Disney doesn't want the damned if they do, damned if they don't label, they should find a way to be fair to all. I don't know if that's possible. That's just the way I see it.

I can see being annoyed especially if I had purposely chosen the beginning of August because of the possibility of lower crowds due to some passes being blocked.

I don't see this as a case of Disney 'can't win because when they finally give something TO the guest, they are being criticized'. They are being criticized because they are giving something for free to select guests...something that other guests had already paid for. Of course, the people who get the free days are going to be happy. And, the people who paid for the days AND the people who planned specifically around lower relative crowds are going to be frustrated.

I know that someone upthread said that blackout days are always subject to change. I don't have an annual pass so I don't know the answer to this: Does it say anywhere on annual pass paperwork that blackout days are subject to change?

I can see being annoyed especially if I had purposely chosen the beginning of August because of the possibility of lower crowds due to some passes being blocked.

I don't see this as a case of Disney 'can't win because when they finally give something TO the guest, they are being criticized'. They are being criticized because they are giving something for free to select guests...something that other guests had already paid for. Of course, the people who get the free days are going to be happy. And, the people who paid for the days AND the people who planned specifically around lower relative crowds are going to be frustrated.

I know that someone upthread said that blackout days are always subject to change. I don't have an annual pass so I don't know the answer to this: Does it say anywhere on annual pass paperwork that blackout days are subject to change?

Our winter blackout dates changed in January. There were a couple more days blocked out that weren't there originally when we renewed our passes. It also says "attractions, entertainment, and operating hours subject to change" right on the blackout calendar on the app.

Yes when you buy a pass with black outs it says subject to change. In theory you could show up to MK and find out it is so crowded the stopped taking silver passes. Usually they change CM balckouts first thought to really manage excess crowds.

Yes when you buy a pass with black outs it says subject to change. In theory you could show up to MK and find out it is so crowded the stopped taking silver passes. Usually they change CM balckouts first thought to really manage excess crowds.

Thanks to both of you! That changes my view a bit. It does say right on the page that blackout dates are subject to change. In that case, I can still understand the OP being disappointed because he planned around a certain expectation. But, I guess when you buy the more expensive pass or plan a trip at a certain time, you do so knowing that blackout dates can possibly change.

Silver passholders are mostly locals and other FL residents. There's nothing to say that this is going to heavily impact crowds or even impact them in a way you'd notice AT ALL.

THIS^ My DS has an AP with Block Out dates. I am okay with saving the money on this because they are dates that I would likely never take him due to either the heat or the crowds. So just because Disney now says I can come to the park with him on some stifling hot days, doesn't mean I will. Often if you are okay with block outs it is because you don't want to be there anyway.

Again we are literally talking about a week of time ....... and I do not believe it if someone says .... oh I planned those weeks because I knew the Weekday and Silver Passholders couldn't come in the park.

Last edited:
They lift block out dates that start in a couple days. And their only removing about 2 weeks of a block out period. I have a silver pass and i was already coming up there as soon as my block out dates are lifted. Only if hotel rooms are super cheap off site would I purposely take advantage of these lifted block out dates.

So fact is them lifting this is really only benefiting locals. Those that are there won't notice any increase in crowd.

For those few mad that Disney is nice and lifted these few block out days, I'm equally as mad as you then since Disney is tempting me to come out in this heat. Heat which is exactly why I got a silver pass, to avoid majority of the summer.

Only way anyone should be mad is if they opened up the photopass option to all AP's. I'm silver so I don't have the photopass option. If they did that, then I could understand for those shelling out more money. But not for Disney lifting a few days.

There's not a single person that when picking out their AP went "hmm, let me look at the other block out dates because I want to specifically avoid those pesky lower tier AP's. I'm only going when their not there"

They lift block out dates that start in a couple days. And their only removing about 2 weeks of a block out period. I have a silver pass and i was already coming up there as soon as my block out dates are lifted. Only if hotel rooms are super cheap off site would I purposely take advantage of these lifted block out dates.

So fact is them lifting this is really only benefiting locals. Those that are there won't notice any increase in crowd.

For those few mad that Disney is nice and lifted these few block out days, I'm equally as mad as you then since Disney is tempting me to come out in this heat. Heat which is exactly why I got a silver pass, to avoid majority of the summer.

Only way anyone should be mad is if they opened up the photopass option to all AP's. I'm silver so I don't have the photopass option. If they did that, then I could understand for those shelling out more money. But not for Disney lifting a few days.

There's not a single person that when picking out their AP went "hmm, let me look at the other block out dates because I want to specifically avoid those pesky lower tier AP's. I'm only going when their not there"

Yessss!! I'm so pregnant right now (4 weeks to go!) and I pretty much plan my day to stay inside as much as possible... but Disney is such a sultry temptress that now I want to venture out for a couple more nights before baby comes.

Ditto the photopass thing. My hubby has a gold pass for the photo perk, but he still doesn't go in the summer because it's so hot.

It's all about perception. Disney is sticking it to some guests by offering this to other guests. If Disney doesn't want the damned if they do, damned if they don't label, they should find a way to be fair to all. I don't know if that's possible. That's just the way I see it.

This post reminded me of the year that everyone got in free on there birthday and ap holders were complaining rightfully so

I just booked a last minute trip for the 5th. I was deciding btwn 5th and 12th and someone on social media said go the 5th since some APs are blacked out then and not the 12th. Well, now it isn't blacked out. Annoying, but hopefully it won't be a huge impact and I have never done a last minute trip before so I am having to learn to go with the flow this time anyways.

ETA: I agree it is more about attendance and less about the rides. I got POFQ for $82/night and flights were even dirt cheap last minute...11 days out. I also got EMM and a dessert party at this late hour.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter