Angry lifting block out dates

mjr0483

DIS Veteran
i am probably in the minority here. But I am angry that they lifted block out days.

Disney wants it both ways. They charge higher prices to "balance out" crowds for high demand periods. But when attendance is down too much they release these restrictions is crap. What about the people that pay higher prices so they have lower crowds and they are met with this betrayal. They are devaluing thier product.

Angry? I don't see a reason for getting angry. There aren't enough people in the parks. Disney would like for there to be a few more. Won't turn it into Christmas. Is anyone really paying the higher prices because they think there will be lower crowds...either you want to pay to go to WDW or you don't. High crowd times of year usually cost more than traditionally lower times anyway.

So just making up numbers ...
.. the price you pay is to assume there are only 100,000 in the parks.
.. attendance is down and there are only 60,000 in the parks.
.. Disney wants to up the numbers so last minute drops blocks.
.. Last minute 30,000 decide to come because block opens.
.. Now there are 90,000 in parks when you expected 100,000.

School starts early in August, you are talking only Florida folks who don't have that issue and who like to be roasting in the heat. There are plenty who get that pass because they don't even want to go to the parks in August.

It is no different than ... I book my cruise asap and past my change date, they drop the prices to fill cabins ... I buy something at a store and past the 30 days refund they put it on sale half price ... I pay way more for my plane ticket or hotel because I planned in advance than the person who got it on Priceline last minute.

Really, not worth getting upset as I doubt there will be any more people than Disney planned at pricing. This is to fill the gap.

I would be upset if I purchased a higher priced pass with no block out dates to visit during specific dates in August. I would contact Disney and ask for a return on my money actually. I just purchased park hoppers for our trip in August though so now I know if I want to upgrade to a AP I can just go with the lowest price one since you never know when you may get your block out dates negated...lol! You can always upgrade if they leave the block out dates in place :)

One thing to note is that numbers must be way down if they are cutting block out dates. I am spending literally a small fortune for a thrice (lol) in a lifetime (this will be our third trip to WDW in 25 years...not been since 2005) trip and maybe it is because I know too much from reading all the forums online about ride closures and extra costs for this or that and all the "uncharge" for events like EMM or dessert parties etc. etc. and the lack of late summer hours, now the adding of two more levels of AP holders....but... I am getting disillusioned with Disney only 3 weeks out from our trip. I have planned for 18 months and I feel like I should be excited but I am more feeling like what will they close next or what price increase will they make next before we get there?

I guess my point is you can plan and plan and they encourage that but in the end Disney is a big money making machine and they get to do what they want when they want :)

This would make me mad too. I purposely buy a high level Disneyland AP precisely to be able to go when the lower passes are blacked out (because they increase the crowds SO MUCH when they are not blacked out.) If Disney suddenly lifted those black out dates I would be livid. I think of each level of pass as paying "per day" to access the parks. It is not cool for Disney to suddenly make one level of pass more valuable than it was when purchased without doing the same for all passes.

I've said it here elsewhere, and I will say it in this thread.

My local newspapers are saying that foreign tourism in NYC is way down this summer. They are attributing it to current events. I am certain that if I were European, I would not choose to visit the U.S.A. this year.

It would stand to reason that Orlando is similarly affected.

My local newspapers are saying that foreign tourism in NYC is way down this summer. They are attributing it to current events. I am certain that if I were European, I would not choose to visit the U.S.A. this year.

It would stand to reason that Orlando is similarly affected.

While I agree with you, I'd also include other areas of the world as well.

For that matter, I've talked to a number of Americans that also decided to put off international trips they'd considered taking this summer.

I'm not sure I agree with OP though. I see the main point, but I've also personally taken advantage of many WDW discounts over the years, including a few that were very late discounts.

I was also thrilled when my AP got me into a preview opening of a major e-ride.

If international travel is down, then WDW probably should offer a bit of something to keep their most loyal guests.

Last edited:
Buying higher priced tickets doesn't mean the crowds are guaranteed to be less it just means you are paying a premium to come when it is usually the most convenient to travel. This is the travel industry version of supply and demand. Schools out and weather is sunny = higher prices.

I don't see lifting black out with be that big of a deal because most AP holders who would come in the summer have the premium passes and those who don't may come one or two days but aren't going to be rushing to the parks to deal with the heat especially if they already have activities planned for their kids etc.

I'm sorry, there are just so many things in this world to be outraged over and Disney lifting black out dates so a few more guests can go to their parks isn't going to make the list. It's frankly venturing in to silly territory.

And for the record, I do have a trip during these dates.

They only lifted it for some dates. I was still blocked out for much of June and all of July. Like the other poster said, if you bought a higher level only due to an August trip, then it makes sense to be annoyed. But otherwise, I don't see the issue. (And I'm not just saying this because it affects me positively. For Universal, I was on the other side with the pass that started out not blocked out during summer).

*Also note that those people don't get 30 days ahead to make their fastpasses.

Buying higher priced tickets doesn't mean the crowds are guaranteed to be less it just means you are paying a premium to come when it is usually the most convenient to travel. This is the travel industry version of supply and demand. Schools out and weather is sunny = higher prices.

I don't see lifting black out with be that big of a deal because most AP holders who would come in the summer have the premium passes and those who don't may come one or two days but aren't going to be rushing to the parks to deal with the heat especially if they already have activities planned for their kids etc.

This. It's 10 extra days, definitely not going to make or break it for us. We may take DD for a couple hours after her first day of school and we may go for an evening the Friday before hand. But we will literally only spend an extra 5 or so hours in the parks... I promise our presence isn't going to affect your touring. ;)

I'm sorry, there are just so many things in this world to be outraged over and Disney lifting black out dates so a few more guests can go to their parks isn't going to make the list. It's frankly venturing in to silly territory.

And for the record, I do have a trip during these dates.

And the number of August dates that were blocked and now open are minimal.
They could actually go most of August already.
Certainly not worth the drama.

Weekday Select are still blocked from weekends.

I think that Disney is trying to up attendance during a massive construction crunch. With AK really being the only theme park that isn't slotted for any construction in the next year or two, we're going to see MK & EPCOT start construction and DHS is about to close down yet another ride and continue their current projects.

This, by the way, is just the construction in the parks. Roadways at WDW have been under constructions for several years now. It's less and less "magical" and more like a daily construction zone.

Disney has to do something in an attempt to appease the customers. When you're looking at closures and construction that's going to be eye sores everyday of your trip, the only thing you can do to bring in the customers is offer more. On top of that, current AP holders who are DVC or FL residents are capable of changing their tickets from Gold to Platinum Plus at no charge. This, essentially, negates the block out dates as well.

At the end of the day tho, Disney is a company that makes money by getting people in to the parks. Sell more food & drink, sell more merchandise and get more people to stay in the resorts. This is the only way that they can continue to make money. So, being angry won't resolve the problem... If you want, call Disney Guest Services and talk to them about your frustrations. They might do something for you. But, being angry won't help you enjoy your upcoming trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!