• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Angry lifting block out dates

I said who cares and I am not local. I am a tourist who bought airfare and accommodations during this time.
I think it's ridiculous to believe this change is going to have any impact on waits for rides in any way whatsoever.

Of course it will. It might be minimal and we'll probably never know if it made a difference or not.

I am also a tourist travelling during this time period. I am not upset. I am fine with the change. But I travel to DW a few times a year and I've been many times. Rides are not the primary goal anymore. If I visited every few years and I heard about this, I'd be annoyed. I don't get how others cannot see another's point of view.

When I heard about the closures I snagged a GMR FP for the 12th. I really think (though it still will be bad) that there will be exceptionally long lines for those 2 rides the weekend of the 12/13 and by opening up the dates will help spread out the crowds a little. Most of the local silver really will probably come in for the 2 rides and leave (but probably buy a meal or 2 on the way out).

For the record I do have a Gold pass (but the rest of my family has silver) and still haven't set foot in Disney all Summer...i thought about taking my 2 year old for the day...but now we will just sweat it out on the 12th.

When I heard about the closures I snagged a GMR FP for the 12th. I really think (though it still will be bad) that there will be exceptionally long lines for those 2 rides the weekend of the 12/13 and by opening up the dates will help spread out the crowds a little. Most of the local silver really will probably come in for the 2 rides and leave (but probably buy a meal or 2 on the way out).

For the record I do have a Gold pass (but the rest of my family has silver) and still haven't set foot in Disney all Summer...i thought about taking my 2 year old for the day...but now we will just sweat it out on the 12th.
I do think those 2 rides will have long lines from now till they close. Just do not believe the pass holders that would have otherwise been blocked out will have any significant impact on the numbers.

I believe it's the most logical conclusion that lifting blockout dates from a whole set of local/FL passes will increase crowds and waits. Certainly crowds won't go down?
No, it's not a logical conclusion for me.
Will some passholders that were otherwise blocked out go? Yes.
Will they be enough to make any difference in the entire volume of park guests? No.
It is like adding 5 drops of water to a bucket already holding a gallon of water. Will those 5 drops have any measurable impact on that bucket? No. You'll never notice those 5 drops.

Will they be enough to make any difference in the entire volume of park guests? No.
It is like adding 5 drops of water to a bucket already holding a gallon of water. Will those 5 drops have any measurable impact on that bucket? No. You'll never notice those 5 drops.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the impact

Can your crystal ball get me the powerball numbers? They also lifted weekends for the entire month for weekend passes.

I understood it to be something that WDW was doing as a courtesy to those AP holders that would like to take a final ride on Great Movie Ride as there has been alot of people upset about it. I think WDW did the right thing for the AP holder that is traditionally more "loyal" to WDW. And it's only for 10 days. Try to relax and just feel happy for those that can visit GMR one last time!

I understood it to be something that WDW was doing as a courtesy to those AP holders that would like to take a final ride on Great Movie Ride as there has been alot of people upset about it. I think WDW did the right thing for the AP holder that is traditionally more "loyal" to WDW. And it's only for 10 days. Try to relax and just feel happy for those that can visit GMR one last time!

I don't think it's a big deal, but it is something. And it's not about visiting GMR or Ellen's once more (as has been said, all parks would not be free of block outs if that were the case).

Last edited:
Then why did they lift the blackout through September as well, or even after August 13th when GMR closes?

They didn't. There's no blackout dates within September. There's June 5th-August 10th (Aug 1st-10th was lifted), then blackout dates Dec 18th-Jan 2nd

They didn't. There's no blackout dates within September. There's June 5th-August 10th (Aug 1st-10th was lifted), then blackout dates Dec 18th-Jan 2nd
Yes misunderstanding on my part as to what was lifted, thanks for the clarification.

Sorry, I meant through to September (all of August). If GMR closes on the 13th and that was the reason for the lift, why would they let previously blacked-out AP holders in from the 14th-30th?

Those days weren't blacked out before so nothing was extended that far.

I do think those 2 rides will have long lines from now till they close. Just do not believe the pass holders that would have otherwise been blocked out will have any significant impact on the numbers.
If those pass holders were going to have such a tiny impact on crowds, I wonder why Disney even bothered to block them in the first place.

So based on that logic, you booked your trip specifically during the week when the silver passes were blocked out? It seems as if you were taking these block out weeks too seriously as the difference in crowd level is totally minimal. Case in point is the week of Christmas. No silver passes are allowed in yet the park is always at capacity.

No, I knew when I could go and I bought the passes that fix those dates. I could have bought the cheaper passes if the first 2 days of the trip were open.

Disney tells you that this time is blocked out so we will charge you more.

You keep repeating this, but I'm sorry ... it's just not true. Disney charges higher prices in the summer because MORE PEOPLE want to go in the summer. They reduce the rates when fewer people want to go to entice more people to come. Sure, in YOUR situation you booked these dates because other people were blocked from coming to the parks, but again, Disney cannot read your mind and know that.

If those pass holders were going to have such a tiny impact on crowds, I wonder why Disney even bothered to block them in the first place.

Probably to keep you all Safe, as August is usually peek Brit Holiday times; and due to the UK being so cold we can become quiet Irate in the heat especially due to the lack of good tea lol :crazy2:

But considering all the fun we're having at the moment with "cough" brexit "cough" it's a bit more expensive to hop over the pond so a few of us are staying away!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter