alamo rate..id#211220 worked great

Status
Not open for further replies.
snowbunny, if the worst thing I do in my life is use an Alamo code that I 'may' not be entitled to, then I've lived a pretty good life. So you can use that :rolleyes: emoticon all day, because to be quite honest, there is ALOT worse things I could be doing.

AND, I'm sorry to tell you that if I can save $100+ dollars on my reservation, you best believe that I will use that South American (or whatever) code that I can use. Just think of it as stimulating the AMERICAN economy.

Seriously, some of you people really need to loosen up........

The only people who can say we're not entitled are the Alamo people. I've used codes from the DIS for years for Alamo, National, Enterprise, Dollar, and I've never had 1 problem.

You can bet this code is now red flagged (as stated in the previous post) because of everyone emailing Alamo to 'see if this code was good'. There are other posts on this thread about people using this code, and using it successfully before this onslaught of emails and calls to Alamo to see if it was good to use.
It is not too hard to comprehend that you are using a code AT YOUR OWN RISK. I really don't know what all these calls/emails to Alamo will solve?
I had this code used for my upcoming trip, and now it seems they have red-flagged this because of everyone bothering them about it. WHAT IS SO HARD about having a back-up reservation in case they caught this at the counter??? (this is what I'm doing). Instead, people choose to bludgeon Alamo wanting verification if the code is 'good', and now they might have shut it down.

ITA with all your posts!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone benefited from the $199.00 mini van Florida special? I used that plus the Alamo $25.00 off and got a comparable rate to the codes. One of those codes...can't remember which one....SHOT my price through the roof!

ITA with all your posts!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone benefited from the $199.00 mini van Florida special? I used that plus the Alamo $25.00 off and got a comparable rate to the codes. One of those codes...can't remember which one....SHOT my price through the roof!

Hi, I was able to book this deal(199.00 Minivan) for my November trip (Thanksgiving week) I booked it a few weeks ago. But I could not get this deal for July. I do have the 7011111 code booked with an SUV at a decent rate for July. But I also have a back up res. for a FULL SIZE car with the Walmart code in July. So I keep following this thread to see what is going on!! Joan

well I have (2) reservations booked with the 'spooky illegal codes' for the end of April. If I'm still alive after I use them (Alamo counter agents are former Navy Seals), I'll post back here with my results.

And you know what, if the codes don't pass, then I'll just pay full-price and live with it. I'd post my exact travel dates, but I don't want anyone tipping off Alamo, and have them waiting for me with armed security guards.

Please wish me luck.............:goodvibes

well I have (2) reservations booked with the 'spooky illegal codes' for the end of April. If I'm still alive after I use them (Alamo counter agents are former Navy Seals), I'll post back here with my results.

And you know what, if the codes don't pass, then I'll just pay full-price and live with it. I'd post my exact travel dates, but I don't want anyone tipping off Alamo, and have them waiting for me with armed security guards.

Thanks for spoiling all the fun, now I have to call off the troops :mad:

When you get about two weeks out try Priceline. I had a reservation with one of the questionable codes (as well as a back up with a legitimate code which I was taken to task for) for my upcoming trip. I'd been trying Priceline with no luck for the past month. At exactly two weeks out Priceline accepted my bid and I got the same car (compact) through Avis for $10 more than I would have paid through Alamo using the questionable code.

Dang...I'm heading down next week...I was going to alert all the Alamo counter people that you guys are heading down!!! :thumbsup2
Seriously....I hope you have no issue whatsoever. I know I can come across as kind of hard on some of you, but make no mistake..I don't want to see anyone end up having to pay through the nose for their rental car.
Just want everyone to realize there is that chance. Really hope you all get those rates you are hoping for.

I don't think anyone is objecting to having a backup reservation. We usually have more than one (especially in trying to find the best rate). But we do cancel them w/in the specified time frame and I do not want to wait until we get up to the counter to find out whether or not we can rent using a specific code concurrent with a reservation.

If we consider using a code we like to know what it is and if we're eligible for it. There are so many codes out there, coming from a multitude of sources. Checking to see if one is available to certain customers is a natural part of the booking process, IMHO.

I think some people do take issue with backup reservations. These additional reservations drive down available inventory and drive up prices. If half of the people do this then there would be a ~33% no show rate. Backup reservations only do one thing, drive up prices of current and remaining available inventory.

I think some people do take issue with backup reservations. These additional reservations drive down available inventory and drive up prices. If half of the people do this then there would be a ~33% no show rate. Backup reservations only do one thing, drive up prices of current and remaining available inventory.

Amen. For every person who takes the position of "I want my cheese, too bad for you--in the end every one of us pays."
Rates continue to go up. If it continues on this track, I believe credit cards will be required to even make a reservation.

My feelings exactly and I couldn't have said it better. :rotfl2:

I'm going in May, ( I won't say when) the code worked for me back in Feb. and I plan on using one of them again. (Or maybe both of them, I won't say which code till I return). I'll also post my results when I return.

snowbunny, if the worst thing I do in my life is use an Alamo code that I 'may' not be entitled to, then I've lived a pretty good life.

Kudos to you!

I actually don't care whether or not you use a code intended for tourists from other countries (BTW without foreign tourists, the Florida economy would be in even deeper doo-doo than it already is). However, berating people you claim are spoiling it for the cheaters is taking it kinda far.

Kudos to you!

I actually don't care whether or not you use a code intended for tourists from other countries (BTW without foreign tourists, the Florida economy would be in even deeper doo-doo than it already is). However, berating people you claim are spoiling it for the cheaters is taking it kinda far.

I'm not going to go back-and-forth on this, but you keep on typing these passive-aggressive statements rather than just dropping the whole issue. Isn't the term 'cheaters' taking it 'kinda far' (in your own words). If I were taking a car without paying, or using a fake credit card, or stealing identities, THEN you could use the term 'cheater'.

All I (and we) are doing-----and brace yourself for this----is using a code to save a couple dollars. We are STILL paying for the car with our own money, and still using a USA business to rent from. If Alamo didn't have such a surplus of cars on their lot, they wouldn't offer these codes in the first place.

FUTHERMORE, what do you think Alamo would rater see:

A. A car that goes un-rented
B. A rented car to a customer that used the 'secret' code, but yet they still made money?

For all you high-and-mighty people that don't speed, don't use spooky-codes, and stop for 5 seconds at every stop sign---PLEASE think of it this way. Business sense will prevail.

I'm not going to go back-and-forth on this, but you keep on typing these passive-aggressive statements rather than just dropping the whole issue. Isn't the term 'cheaters' taking it 'kinda far' (in your own words). If I were taking a car without paying, or using a fake credit card, or stealing identities, THEN you could use the term 'cheater'.

Taking a car without paying is grand theft auto. A felony. Falsely representing your employment in order to obtain a rate you're not entitled to get is called cheating. I won't go as far as the "internet police posters" who claim people who falsely use a code are committing fraud but I won't let you get way with claiming that anything short of stealing the car doesn't constitute cheating.
All I (and we) are doing-----and brace yourself for this----is using a code to save a couple dollars. We are STILL paying for the car with our own money, and still using a USA business to rent from. If Alamo didn't have such a surplus of cars on their lot, they wouldn't offer these codes in the first place.

FUTHERMORE, what do you think Alamo would rater see:

A. A car that goes un-rented
B. A rented car to a customer that used the 'secret' code, but yet they still made money?

It depends on the code. Codes like AAA,AARP, COSTCO frequently produce similar discounts. A rental company makes money and may not care.

The "secret" codes with low rates are frequently for TAs. The rental agency is willing to rent at a loss for promotion. Decreased re-sale value for used vehicles means the rental agencies don't make money at those rates. The "bean counters" would prefer those cars go un-rented rather then go to the general public at those rates.

Rental agencies have decided it makes more sense to let a number of cheaters rent a car below cost rather then spend the resources necessary to stop the practice. Not that much different then a store that accepts certain level of shoplifting.

My issue isn't with the posters who want to abuse the system. Alamo could reduce the number of cheaters if they added some language on the rental confirmation. Language like verification of eligibility for contract codes may be requested at the time of vehicle pick up would deter some people. Actually asking for verification would deter a lot of people. Do it a few hours a day, a few days a month or even just do it when the inventory of cars is low. It wouldn't take that many posters from unsuccessful cheaters in the various internet boards to significantly reduce the number of people trying this budget saving technique.

My issue is with posters who pretend they're doing nothing wrong Who say rental agencies are still making money. Who say there is no possibility of being caught. The problem is people reading the thread think they're doing something legit.

You really think Alamo would rather see the car rented at these rates rather then sit in the lot? Then there shouldn't be an issue when posters call Alamo. You don't get it both ways. You can tell posters using the rate is cheating, please don't call Aalmo. You really can't tell people it's not cheating, the rental agencies don't mind renting to the public at these rates but don't call Alamo.

How does that affect honest customers? Rental agencies have fewer inventory available for real discounts. Backup reservations made be cheaters lead to more no-shows. That leads to overbooking with rental agencies either running out of cars or having cars sitting on the lot unrented.

Taking a car without paying is grand theft auto. A felony. Falsely representing your employment in order to obtain a rate you're not entitled to get is called cheating. I won't go as far as the "internet police posters" who claim people who falsely use a code are committing fraud but I won't let you get way with claiming that anything short of stealing the car doesn't constitute cheating.

"you won't let me get away with claiming that anything short of stealing the car doesn't constitute stealing". Well thank you for not letting me get away with this. LewisC is the new internet watchdog for Alamo to make sure poeple aren't posting that they are 'getting away' with cheaper rates. Thank you for clearing this up for me, and you have cured my cheating ways.

It depends on the code. Codes like AAA,AARP, COSTCO frequently produce similar discounts. A rental company makes money and may not care.

The "secret" codes with low rates are frequently for TAs. The rental agency is willing to rent at a loss for promotion. Decreased re-sale value for used vehicles means the rental agencies don't make money at those rates. The "bean counters" would prefer those cars go un-rented rather then go to the general public at those rates.

Rental agencies have decided it makes more sense to let a number of cheaters rent a car below cost rather then spend the resources necessary to stop the practice. Not that much different then a store that accepts certain level of shoplifting.

My issue isn't with the posters who want to abuse the system. Alamo could reduce the number of cheaters if they added some language on the rental confirmation. Language like verification of eligibilty for contract codes may be requested at the time of vehcile pick up would deter some people.

My issue is with posters who pretend they're doing nothing wrong Who saye rental agencies are still making money. Who say there is no possibility of being caught. The problem is people reading the thread think they're doing something legit.

You really think Alamo would rather see the car rented at these rates rather then sit in the lot? Then there shouldn't be an issue when posters call Alamo.

How does that affect honest customers? Rental agencies have fewer inventory available for real discounts. Backup reservations made be cheaters lead to more no-shows. That leads to overbooking with rental agencies either running out of cars or having cars sitting on the lot unrented.

Since you seem to know so much about the rental business, what exactly is the threshold where the car rental company loses money, rather than renting a car? Most cars are on credit terms, so a payment MUST be made one way or the other. Much like a new car dealership that would rather sell a car for a 'zero' gain rather than continue to make payments to their financing company. Do you think Alamo is really losing money but people renting off these codes? Furthermore, do you really think Alamo produces codes to travel agencies THAT LOSES THEM MONEY?????

Please tell me you are not that naive to believe that? Do you know how many travel agencies there are all over the world? Do you really think Alamo would offer rates to ALL THESE companies that loses them money??? :sad2:

I can't believe you actually posted that these 'illegal codes' are only offered to travel agencies because Alamo 'loses money' when cars are rented with these codes, LOL. And then you term it as 'advertisement' for Alamo to rent these cars at a profit loss. How much 'advertisement' do you think Alamo gains from SOUTH AMERICAN TRAVEL COMPANIES???? LOL.

Finally, I'm renting a car with these illegal codes for the SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY I PAID this past December WITHOUT using these secret codes!!! I just used a Walmart code, and a $25 off coupon back in December, and GOT THE SAME RATE. By your terms of financial thinking, I guess Alamo lost money back in December since I'm paying the exact same rate?

Some of you people on here will stop at nothing to preach your ways.......I just can't believe the amount of 'perfect' people on just one messageboard.

Finally, I'm renting a car with these illegal codes for the SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY I PAID this past December WITHOUT using these secret codes!!! I just used a Walmart code, and a $25 off coupon back in December, and GOT THE SAME RATE. By your terms of financial thinking, I guess Alamo lost money back in December since I'm paying the exact same rate?

Some of you people on here will stop at nothing to preach your ways.......I just can't believe the amount of 'perfect' people on just one messageboard.

I know that you are upset and no one likes to be called a "cheater" but I believe that Lewisc has a point about the changes in the car rental industry. I have "known" Lewis for many years both here on the DIS and on other travel websites. He is very knowledgeable about the current travel climate and I believe him when he says that car rental companies have had to change the way they do business. I have read the same thing from different sources.

It's a fact that car rental prices are up ... WAY up. There is no comparison between what you paid under last year's business model and what you will be forced to pay this year. Alamo did not lose money last year on your same-priced rental because the car companies were, for all intents and purposes, subsiding the car rental industry. Sadly, the car industry can no longer offer the same deals to the rental industry and they can no longer replace the cars as frequently and Alamo now has to absorb costs that it did not before. Those costs are passed onto the consumer. So, while your December rate might have made Alamo some money back in 2008 the same rental price will not make them the same profit this year. I also believe that there is a rental price point that will actually LOSE Alamo money due to increased maintenance costs and in reduction of resale value due to excess mileage.

Some of the cheaters are rather defensive. Taking a car without paying for it is theft, a felony. Possible jail time. It has nothing to do with people who cheat by using a code they're not entitled to use. The issue is a renter being forced to pay more then they expected to pay for a car or finding out, at time of claim, the damage waiver "insurance" isn't valid for your rental.

JMO but you don't have the right to complain about posters who call Alamo regarding the legitimacy of the code.

Some posters admit they're cheating, trying to "beat the system" and expect to get away with it. Some posters warn people not to do this unless they have a back up reservation and are willing to accept some risk. Those posters have the right to suggest a no phone call to Alamo policy.

Other posters claim using these codes isn't that much different then using a code you're qualified to use. Posters like you claim rates are frequently similar, Alamo still makes money and doesn't really care. JMO but posters who take that position have no right to complain when potential renters decide to research the code by contacting Alamo. I don't think even a yes email provides that much assurance, the rep is probably saying the code is valid but not really confirming the code is available to the public.

The only difference between using an questionable code to make a car rental reservation with improperly using a CM discount to book a hotel room is the likelihood of getting caught.

There are a couple of knowledgeable posters on flyertalk. I'm not going to take the time to provide a link and/or do a cut and paste. You can do a search if you want exact numbers. Basically the car mfg have stopped providing rental agencies with vehicles on a short term lease or with a guaranteed buy back after a year or two. Not too long ago the major rental agencies were actually owned by the car mfg. Cars were given to the rental agencies at very low prices with the hope renters would like the car and would purchase one from their local dealer. Rental agencies now have to sell used cars on the open market. Used cars are worth less then expected, particularly vehicles with high mileage. The conclusion is rental agencies will probably keep higher mileage cars, will probably put free mileage caps on some car categories and may keep a car on the lot rather then let it go for a very low price.

You want an analgy? I don't care if you safely drive 70mp in a 55mp zone. That means no tail gating, cutting cars off, flash brights etc. BUT don't complain if a cop gives you a ticket.

I'm not trying to be a smart-a**, but I have a very good friend that buys auction cars from the rental agencies, and explained to me how they work. They make more money that you all think, and have more profit included, EVEN in these secret-code rates.

They finance cars in bulk (much like the car lots), so a rented car (regardless of the codes used) is a positive for them. This is the whole reason you can sometimes haggle-down a counter agent if the lot is full of un-rented cars. They have to pay their finanace payments regardless if that car is rented, or un-rented, and regardless if the secret South American code is being used.

I have no issue with you posters than disagree with me (or the rest of us) that use these rates, if you present it in a mature level. LewisC comes off as a know-it-all, and tags each response with a holier-than-thou attitude that completely torques me off. I could honestly care less what he thinks constitutes cheating, stealing, or whatever illegal activity he thinks is going on.

I think that Alamo would rather rent a car to someone who may use a questionable code than not rent one at all.

The statement comparing using those codes to companies allowing shoplifting-:rotfl: The company put the codes out there. If Wal Mart or Macy's put out a shelf of freebies or coupons, you can bet those would be snapped up too.

Alamo chooses to allow the codes, why get your knickers all bunched? When the company decides to discontinue the code, they will do that. It cracks me up that some people act like they are St. George defending the innocent little car rental companies from the big bad dragon consumers.

The best way to stop it if they chose to do so would be to require the TA number when making the reservation. If the number cannot be produced, then the reservation would not go through. It's not rocket science and if it truly caused them to lose business $$$, then they would implement something along these lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter