alamo rate..id#211220 worked great

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that Alamo would rather rent a car to someone who may use a questionable code than not rent one at all.

The statement comparing using those codes to companies allowing shoplifting-:rotfl: The company put the codes out there. If Wal Mart or Macy's put out a shelf of freebies or coupons, you can bet those would be snapped up too.

Alamo chooses to allow the codes, why get your knickers all bunched? When the company decides to discontinue the code, they will do that. It cracks me up that some people act like they are St. George defending the innocent little car rental companies from the big bad dragon consumers.

The best way to stop it if they chose to do so would be to require the TA number when making the reservation. If the number cannot be produced, then the reservation would not go through. It's not rocket science and if it truly caused them to lose business $$$, then they would implement something along these lines.

EXACTLY........I've been on this board for awhile, and its amazing the people that come on here just to argue their rightgeous ways. I like the St. George comment, LOL.

Alamo would not be in business too long if they 'lost money' on these codes. That does not take a business degree to figure out.

The statement comparing using those codes to companies allowing shoplifting-:rotfl: The company put the codes out there. If Wal Mart or Macy's put out a shelf of freebies or coupons, you can bet those would be snapped up too.
I don't think it's like shoplifting, but I *do* think it's exactly like using an AP discount code for a room at a Disney resort when you don't have an AP. I have booked AP rates many times and I have never been asked for my AP (even though I had one). If I didn't have an AP then I would have been able to "get away" with using the discount each and every time without needing to buy an AP because the CM didn't ask to see it. Other CMs do ask ... the same as some Alamo employees ask for proof while others do not.

My issue is with the poster who claims anything short of stealing the car can't be called cheating.

If it's OK to use the code then it's OK for a poster to contact Alamo. Sorry but you don't get to claim Alamo has no problem with use of the code but get annoyed when posters call and email.

K-Mart had a problem when they started self service check outs. Too many customers thought they were entitled to BOGO offers.

Discount abuse caused Disney added PIN codes to their room discount promotions. Some coupons have now have bar codes to prevent duplication. Some companies taken positive actions to reduce the number of "cheaters" The fact that Alamo doesn't generally verify eligibility for a rate code doesn't change the fact that using a code you're not entitled to use is cheating. I agree Alamo is stupid in not checking.

My point in posting isn't to deter the cheaters who want to take their chances. It's to inform the posters who are mislead into believing they are using a 100% legit code and not to worry about.

edited to add--Robin I didn't use an AP example. A person who books a room with an AP rate can tell the CM at the desk they're going to get an AP, purchase an AP and then show it to the clerk. A person using a TA employee code or a PR resident code doesn't have the ability to instantly change their employer or place of residence. It's more like getting an ID code and a phone number in order to book a CM rate.

I don't think it's like shoplifting, but I *do* think it's exactly like using an AP discount code for a room at a Disney resort when you don't have an AP. I have booked AP rates many times and I have never been asked for my AP (even though I had one). If I didn't have an AP then I would have been able to "get away" with using the discount each and every time without needing to buy an AP because the CM didn't ask to see it. Other CMs do ask ... the same as some Alamo employees ask for proof while others do not.

You=generic person, not this poster or any individual poster.

I guess I see it like trying to get your child who is 3 or older in at WDW and hoping that a CM won't question the child's age. If you are questioned, sure, you'll pay up, but if you aren't, you are happy you "got a good deal." If that's what you want to do, fine...I really don't care and I'm not going to spend time posting about why you shouldn't. Cause how other people live life and make decisions doesn't affect me (mostly - I could make an argument about higher prices as a result, but it seems tenuous at best). And whether or not I would do it has no bearing on how anyone else lives their life. But I'm also not going to feel badly if I call to check out a rule (age for admission, whether or not I PERSONALLY am eligible for a code, etc), no matter how many people on a board like this chastise me because they think my actions make it harder for them to break the rules or bend the rules or whatever you want to call it.

My hunch is that Alamo DOES care about who uses these codes or else they wouldn't be locking them out of kiosk use (some people have reported they couldn't check in using kiosk because of a certain code and had to go to the counter, where they were asked for ID). I don't know why it isn't happening consistently, but I bet that issues like customers using codes they aren't eligible for are things that counters report to corporate and that when corporate receives enough of these reports, they'll institute more controls. And it's the increasing attempt to use the code without proper ID that will lock it down, not calls to customer service about who can use the code.

edited to add--Robin I didn't use an AP example. A person who books a room with an AP rate can tell the CM at the desk they're going to get an AP, purchase an AP and then show it to the clerk. A person using a TA employee code or a PR resident code doesn't have the ability to instantly change their employer or place of residence. It's more like getting an ID code and a phone number in order to book a CM rate.
I know :). I used the AP as my own example, but Tara's example of the over-3 child would work the same. If you don't have an AP then you are not really eligible for an AP rate. If your child is 37 months old, then s/he is not really eligible to get into WDW for free. If the false AP rate booker gets caught they can pony up extra for an AP or pay rack rate. If the parent of the 37-month old gets caught then they can buy their child a park pass. If a "211220" Alamo code booker gets caught they will be asked to pay full price. I know that I have never been asked for my AP when checking into a WDW resort, although others have. I know that my sister was never asked the age of her 3-year old DD when she strolled her into WDW without paying, although other kids are asked their age. I don't know what the odds are that an Alamo agent will question the 211200 code. Some posters have reported no problems and some have had to pay extra.

It's no skin off my nose if people use "hinky" codes. I have used them myself. I just think that people need to be informed and prepared for the worst.

I think some people do take issue with backup reservations. These additional reservations drive down available inventory and drive up prices. If half of the people do this then there would be a ~33% no show rate. Backup reservations only do one thing, drive up prices of current and remaining available inventory.

That's out of context :) When I said that no one has an issue with backup reservations I was responding to the OP who said WHAT'S SO DIFFICULT ABOUT MAKING A BACKUP RESERVATION IF YOU'RE WORRIED ABOUT AN IFFY CODE (or words to that effect).

:goodvibes

If I were taking a car without paying, or using a fake credit card, or stealing identities, THEN you could use the term 'cheater'.

You are using a fake identity; the identity of someone who is actually entitled to the code. It's a cheat. Why try to rationalize it away? Just admit it. No one cares, except when you scream about people contacting Alamo to find out what the code is, who you say are ruining a good thing.

You are using a fake identity; the identity of someone who is actually entitled to the code. It's a cheat. Why try to rationalize it away? Just admit it. No one cares, except when you scream about people contacting Alamo to find out what the code is, who you say are ruining a good thing.

+1 You said what I was trying to say a lot clearer and with fewer words.

The poster doesn't want to follow Alamo's rules regarding discount eligibility but gets irate when people don't follow his made up rule by checking with Alamo.

If no one cares, why have you been on this thread for 2 days straight worrying yourself if I've properly called myself a cheat? LOL. You got the DIS hall monitor/Alamo CPA LewisC chiming in with his self-righteous jibberish about K-mart self-checkouts, and his own little world of 'how Alamo business works', LOL. I just picture him all red-in-the-face while typing, and a pocket protector and fanny pack. Just a feeling.

Maybe you 2 should meet in your own thread, and talk amongst each other how perfect you both live your lives, and why you are lonely.

From,

Your favorite cheat (although $100 richer cheat from using those codes)

Looks like Travel Time/LAC Tours has negotiated a daily rate of $25 for a full size, $17 for a mid, and $27 for SUV on weekly rentals with the code that is in discussion.

I'm convinced that Priceline could match this rate, so I am shocked that more people don't go this route to avoid any potential problems.

The questionable codes are good, but if you do some research, you will realize that there are still some other options that are competitive.

If you need a full size car for a week, I can't believe that Priceline would not get below $25 a day. Sites like Betterbidding.com back me up on this.

If no one cares, why have you been on this thread for 2 days straight worrying yourself if I've properly called myself a cheat? LOL. You got the DIS hall monitor/Alamo CPA LewisC chiming in with his self-righteous jibberish about K-mart self-checkouts, and his own little world of 'how Alamo business works', LOL. I just picture him all red-in-the-face while typing, and a pocket protector and fanny pack. Just a feeling.

Maybe you 2 should meet in your own thread, and talk amongst each other how perfect you both live your lives, and why you are lonely.

From,

Your favorite cheat (although $100 richer cheat from using those codes)

Sorry, but your comments are personal and out of line. If you want to use a code you are not entitled to use and get away with it, then why are you so worried about what other people think of you? If you have no guilt for it, just do it. People in this world have varying degrees of conscience and apparently they can no more make you realize its wrong than you can make them stop calling in to inquire about the rules of the code when it is their desire to find information and follow the rules. People have legitimately pointed out their discoveries with these codes, and that is what this thread should be about.

If someone wants to research a code there are plenty of way online to do so but I don't understand why someone would call Alamo and say "I'm not entitled to this code meant for Brazilian boxer's of Indian descent can I still use it?" What? Why would you call and ask such a question when other posters here and on flyertalk have said this has a chilling effect?

Why should I post a code if someone kills it like that?

I've noticed Lewisc does not engage in this argument over at flyertalk yet every post regarding Alamo codes here he chimes in, again and again.

Looks like Travel Time/LAC Tours has negotiated a daily rate of $25 for a full size, $17 for a mid, and $27 for SUV on weekly rentals with the code that is in discussion.

I'm convinced that Priceline could match this rate, so I am shocked that more people don't go this route to avoid any potential problems.

The questionable codes are good, but if you do some research, you will realize that there are still some other options that are competitive.

If you need a full size car for a week, I can't believe that Priceline would not get below $25 a day. Sites like Betterbidding.com back me up on this.
It all depends on the dates for both the Travel Time rates and Priceline. For instance, Compact cars are $98 for April but $144 for December (when I need one). I would suggest that people check Hotwire first and then start bidding at 70% of Hotwire's asking price. Heck, Hotwire itself beats $25 per day for a full size call for the end of April.

robinb,

The $144 is probably for dates that Alamo has blocked out. It might be tough to get a good price from anyone with dates near the holiday.

Good thinking about the 70% starting point.

-NL

robinb,

The $144 is probably for dates that Alamo has blocked out. It might be tough to get a good price from anyone with dates near the holiday.

Good thinking about the 70% starting point.

-NL
You're probably right. I booked with Avis for about the same price per week but Avis is charging me more in fees.

The thread is about Alamo codes....if you don't want to use or believe in using the code why do you join in on the thread?

The thread is about Alamo codes....if you don't want to use or believe in using the code why do you join in on the thread?

Because certain people on this site are not happy unless they are arguing or pointing out other peoples apparent lack of morals.

I never saw the big deal (like I've posted numerous times) if you use the code, as you do it at your own risk. When I go down in a few weeks, I am doing so with the knowledge that I MIGHT get turned down. So be it. I will then pay a higher price with the WalMart discount, and another reservation.

Not sure what the big deal is, and the reason for posting those of us that use the codes are somehow 'cheaters' and the dregs of society, LOL. As stated previously, certain people on here need to get a life, and worry about their own issues.

Sorry, but your comments are personal and out of line. If you want to use a code you are not entitled to use and get away with it, then why are you so worried about what other people think of you? If you have no guilt for it, just do it. People in this world have varying degrees of conscience and apparently they can no more make you realize its wrong than you can make them stop calling in to inquire about the rules of the code when it is their desire to find information and follow the rules. People have legitimately pointed out their discoveries with these codes, and that is what this thread should be about.

Sorry, but look back on the previous posts of mine, and I didn't start any personal attacks until the Dis hall monitor started calling me (and others) 'cheaters'.

Maybe you ought to look back on the thread history before you chime in with your comments?

Sorry, but look back on the previous posts of mine, and I didn't start any personal attacks until the Dis hall monitor started calling me (and others) 'cheaters'.

Maybe you ought to look back on the thread history before you chime in with your comments?

I think some people took offense that you advocated it was okay for you to use the code at your own risk but then in post #295 you got upset that Alamo may have flagged the code or shut it down because of all the calls and e-mails to them.

If the code was a publicly available code then there should be no issue with the calls and e-mails to Alamo. You may choose to use a questionable code at your own risk that is up to you, but don't get upset at others when they wish to obtain verification from Alamo.

If people feel the need to call and ask about a code, then I think it's pretty safe to assume they shouldn't be using it, so why not just use a code they know for a fact is legit especially when we all know that customer service agents will almost always give different people different answers

It's ridiculous that some people here feel the need to preach to others and/or call them "cheats" why the heck does anyone care what anyone else does anyway !?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter