• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

**UPDATE in State Dept Warnings***Mexico All-Inclusives Whaaaaaat??????

I go to Cozumel once or twice a year, three weeks at a time and stay at a resort and have done so for over a decade. I have gotten to know many, many locals who we visit in their homes. They are regular people like you and me that need their jobs. Resort jobs are the ones they aim for. They serve filtered water. The switching water in a bottle is just plain hogwash. Why would they switch it out and risk their jobs? I drink water back in the neighborhood restaurants. They give filtered water. Not once have I gotten sick in Cozumel. I have a friend friend from TX that lives in Cozumel. She has never heard of any of this in Cozumel. She works in a resort but not in the food service. We, as visitors, need to take some responsibility for ourselves and quit blaming MEXICO for everything. We need proof just like in a court of law before hanging a country as a whole.

I go to Cozumel once or twice a year, three weeks at a time and stay at a resort and have done so for over a decade. I have gotten to know many, many locals who we visit in their homes. They are regular people like you and me that need their jobs. Resort jobs are the ones they aim for. They serve filtered water. The switching water in a bottle is just plain hogwash. Why would they switch it out and risk their jobs? I drink water back in the neighborhood restaurants. They give filtered water. Not once have I gotten sick in Cozumel. I have a friend friend from TX that lives in Cozumel. She has never heard of any of this in Cozumel. She works in a resort but not in the food service. We, as visitors, need to take some responsibility for ourselves and quit blaming MEXICO for everything. We need proof just like in a court of law before hanging a country as a whole.
Whose blaming Mexico for Everything. I think that's a bit of an overstatement. A lot of people don't care for Mexico that's totally understandable and within their right.

Fake news.

Most of the time I can't tell whether or not you are being sarcastic. But here, calling an article where a woman describes being sexually assaulted "fake news" is insulting and insensitive, at best.

I will be reporting you.

And what I can't understand is how these people can just go take tens of thousands out of the ATM. Most banks limit ATM withdrawals to $200-500 per day. Plus, you know, we all run around with tens of thousands in cash in our checking accounts we can just go to the ATM and get at any moment.

$2000 in pesos is far less in USD and probably under the limit. But you seem inclined to discount the story entirely, so...

Never been to Guatemala, huh?

Having LIVED in southern Mexico and travelled in Latin America I can tell you that you are 100% wrong.
Poor and undeveloped are not the same thing. Corruption is the issue rather than being just plain behind.

In my honest opinion, I would go but abstain from drinking. Maybe buy water bottles from the ship? If they don't let you maybe express your concern and work out another solution.
I am thanking God I don't drink, and don't have a desire to do so.
I have always been leery of Mexico but its somewhere my mom really wants to go, but I don't think she realizes it is a lot different than when she took a trip in highschool.
FWIW, all-inclusive resorts are only one of many ways to visit Mexico. If the goal isn't all-you-can-drink by the pool, you'd be staying somewhere else regardless.

Never underestimate. What criminal has a long-term plan? Not many would be my guess.
It really depends on the type of crime. There are certainly plenty of criminals operating elaborate criminal organizations the same as one would a business. And there are plenty of criminals perpetrating elaborate frauds. There are also people snatching purses from old ladies on the street without a thought as to their next steps. So I wouldn't let how elaborate a scheme is or isn't be my deciding factor in whether I believe this type of allegation. (I suppose I should credit my source on this, which is 10 years of legal experience including working for the courts).

I personally don't see what benefit there would be to fabricating the types of stories that were in the article that the OP posted. But I suppose we'll know more as more details come out.

Cozumel is not Cancun. This is reportedly happening in Cancun, NOT Cozumel. You should know they are not the same.

It is very possible to take thousands of US dollars out of an ATM. My own bank allows us to choose our own daily limit. I think the maximum is $3000/day.

In addition, you can use ATMs to take credit card cash advances. I have two credit cards with cash advance limits of $6000 each...

Cozumel is not Cancun. This is reportedly happening in Cancun, NOT Cozumel. You should know they are not the same.

The original link to the news article in the original post specifically listed Iberostar Cozumel as one of the locations.

Poor and undeveloped are not the same thing. Corruption is the issue rather than being just plain behind.

Poor? check
Missing or inferior infrastructure? check (One house I lived in had water only when the cistern was full, and another had a shower with only cold water coming from a plain pipe sticking out of the wall - and they were considered upper middle class in town).
Corruption and crime? check (busloads of disappearing students, anyone - that was actually the town I used to live in way back when https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/25/...ered-a-night-of-terror-investigators-say.html )

I guess what else are you looking for? I loved Mexico - but its a different place now than when I lived there in the 90s and the changes are not for the better.

Most of the time I can't tell whether or not you are being sarcastic. But here, calling an article where a woman describes being sexually assaulted "fake news" is insulting and insensitive, at best.

I will be reporting you.
I lot of stories on the internet are fake. We don't know if the women's story is true ior false. I would assume it's true, but you certainly can't blame someone for being skeptical or questioning a news story. The poster did not personally insult another poster.

This particular poster has a long history of sarcastic comments of questionable taste. The article was published by a reputable newspaper. So what was MUN claiming was "fake" - the newspaper or the story?

But - to make my Dis experience a more pleasurable one, I've "ignored" all future posts from that person. No reporting required.
I've never interpreted this persons post as sarcastic. Interpretation is up to the reader.
If I ignored everyone that I interpreted as sarcastic or that disagreed with me I would only see half the posts. You miss a lot of content by doing that.

$2000 in pesos is far less in USD and probably under the limit. But you seem inclined to discount the story entirely, so...
But the story said the family paid out tens of thousands of dollars, not pesos.

"Abbey Conner's family paid about $17,000 to a small medical clinic south of Playa del Carmen and within several hours paid tens of thousands more to a hospital in Cancun, north of the resort, where Abbey and her brother were transferred. "

and further down about another family it said they were told they had to come up with $2000 cash, and when they said they didn't carry that kind of cash on them they were told they would be accompanied to an ATM to withdraw the cash. That was dollars, not pesos.

36bfb3d944017d90d24bd7081eb3ca86.png

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter