• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

**UPDATE in State Dept Warnings***Mexico All-Inclusives Whaaaaaat??????

We have some good friends that go to Secrets in Mexico every year. (multiple times per year usually) ...they've never had any unusual circumstances like in this article and they are people who like to drink and take advantage of the all inclusive. Not saying it doesn't happen, but the way they go and how frequently go there I just find it odd that they've never encountered or witnessed any of this, as Secrets is mentioned in the article.

The fact they accuse Trip Advisor of being in on the conspiracy is where I write off the entire thing.
Right! I see negative reviews on Trip Advisor for places all the time. I've even left 1 or 2 myself. I use Trip Advisor pretty religiously to decide where to stay, eat, and visit in lots of locations, so I've seen my fair share of both positive and negative reviews for places. I can't imagine them telling someone they wouldn't post their negative review because it was biased.

Here's the problem. I could understand that if a lot of these folks were visiting from a cruise stop but the vast majority were there specifically for a land vacation. It's unlikely they were on scopolamine for motion sickness. Not impossible, just unlikely that many people were.

No, I think it is more likely these folks displayed something these perpetrators found valuable (inadvertently or not) making them a target for theft, robbery, etc. And think about it... almost all of the victims (who didn't die) had to shell out exorbitant amounts of cash just to LEAVE Mexico.

Seems the bartenders target the victims, drugs them, and the hospital fleeces them.

And what I can't understand is how these people can just go take tens of thousands out of the ATM. Most banks limit ATM withdrawals to $200-500 per day. Plus, you know, we all run around with tens of thousands in cash in our checking accounts we can just go to the ATM and get at any moment.

I was at the Iberostar where all of this supposedly went down two weeks ago. We had no issues whatsoever. This story is a tragedy. I'm sure bad things happen. Bad things happen when your blood alcohol level is 3 times the legal limit! Statistically, will it happen to you? Not likely. Certainly not any more likely than in any other city in any other country. We have visited Mexico numerous times. We are responsible and respectful of being in another country.

I've read several articles on this topic and they are all very "fearmongerish". I want to see some hard data but it's just broad sweeping accusations. I don't see a motive to replace known liquor with some other stronger liquor instead of watering it down. That narrative doesn't make sense to me.

A similar scam is water bottles re-filled with the local tap water. It helps to verify the cap seal before drinking, but some criminals have even replaced the cap with fake seal.

-Paul

I was at the Iberostar where all of this supposedly went down two weeks ago. We had no issues whatsoever. This story is a tragedy. I'm sure bad things happen. Bad things happen when your blood alcohol level is 3 times the legal limit! Statistically, will it happen to you? Not likely. Certainly not any more likely than in any other city in any other country. We have visited Mexico numerous times. We are responsible and respectful of being in another country.

I've read several articles on this topic and they are all very "fearmongerish". I want to see some hard data but it's just broad sweeping accusations. I don't see a motive to replace known liquor with some other stronger liquor instead of watering it down. That narrative doesn't make sense to me.

I've actually read several accounts in all this of people who had a single drink (which is not at all outside their norm) and then the strange blackout experience. A single drink doesn't make your blood alcohol content 3 times the legal limit. Additionally, since the original story went mainstream the news agency who wrote it has apparently been contacted by more than 3 dozen different people who had similar experiences. Here's what I'm thinking: it's much like other crimes where people think what happened to them was their fault in some way. People didn't come forward and say anything because they didn't feel like they could or should. They're ashamed or embarrassed. If you read how the resort staff, medical staff, & even authorities treated these people it's really not surprising. The victims felt it was their own stupidity.....but then they've read all these other stories like theirs and they realize they aren't the only ones, that it wasn't their stupidity at all. It makes sense. It also explains why there isn't more info to be found. Nobody has been talking about it. That seems to be changing.

As far as what benefit it is to the resorts to serve tainted alcohol, there's actually many reasons they would/could benefit from it. First, at an all-inclusive that people often go to with the intent of taking advantage of an unlimited bar the cost of the alcohol to the resort is sure to be a significant expense. How can they reduce their overhead when it comes to the liquor? Stretch the bottles by adding "fillers". "Watering" is common & juvenile. Easy to call someone down on it. No loss of capacity to realize what's happening. Buy a quantity of the alcohol on the side from backdoor vendors untaxed. Then, if guests get sick make sure you have a "deal" in place with local ambulance services & medical facilities for a little kickback. A guest fully incapacitated? Perfect time to deliver them to their room to rifle thru their things. Or clean out their wallet. They'll never know. All possibilities make perfect sense in terms of motivation. I've looked at a bunch of all-inclusives all over and I'm often surprised at how inexpensive they can be. How is that place making any money? I know my husband & I can easily drink over a hundred in drinks any given day. Sometimes more. Then they also include all the food, facilities, etc. It would totally make sense.

Maybe the few articles out there seem fear-monger-ish but there's enough people coming forward reporting similar experiences that our government has added a carefully worded warning to the travel information & advisories for that area. It's enough for them to add a warning. If it was just a fair few who were simply sloppy drunks who got in over their head I really don't think they'd have made an addition to the travel advisories.

I find all of this sad. I have personal Mexican native friends that work in an AI in Cozumel. I don't for one minute believe it is as wide spread as some of the fear mongering people want you to believe. It angers me that people are now in fear of traveling to MX. Thousands of people are at an AI in MX on any given day year round. If it is as wide spread as some want you to believe then there would be a heck of a lot more deaths and people sick every single day. I traveled immediately following 9-11, I traveled to MX during the swine flu scare, I just got back from Europe where terrorist activity killed people in Stockholm and St Petersburg both of which we visited. We would never experience the world if we live in fear. Heck, there are drug spiking people at bars, murders, rapes and gangs throughout the US. Should we stop traveling in our own country?

Just my opinion after our day at Nachi Cocum in April of this year, bring your own booze. Their drinks were terrible. The location is nice, the food was delish, and the massage girls work a great massage (though they overbook and pressure to change your booked time to suit their needs)

I remember reading a thread on Cruise Critic a few years ago where someone claimed they were drugged at a day-pass resort (I want to say it was in Cozumel.) I think they claimed it was ambien or something like it. I can't remember details, but I do remember arguing with them (as I am generally anti-fear-mongering and they seemed a tad hysterical ... but I'm trying to be better about not "piling on" to people online).

I remember thinking at the time that it would be insanely stupid of the resorts to do that (or to not prevent their sketchier employees from doing so) because once word spreads they're screwed. That was part of my internal logic of why it wasn't likely to be true. Now--who knows. Don't underestimate greed and stupidity, I guess.

I remember reading a thread on Cruise Critic a few years ago where someone claimed they were drugged at a day-pass resort (I want to say it was in Cozumel.) I think they claimed it was ambien or something like it. I can't remember details, but I do remember arguing with them (as I am generally anti-fear-mongering and they seemed a tad hysterical ... but I'm trying to be better about not "piling on" to people online).

I remember thinking at the time that it would be insanely stupid of the resorts to do that (or to not prevent their sketchier employees from doing so) because once word spreads they're screwed. That was part of my internal logic of why it wasn't likely to be true. Now--who knows. Don't underestimate greed and stupidity, I guess.
Never underestimate. What criminal has a long-term plan? Not many would be my guess.

When I first read it I was skeptical, too. But with more and more coming forward....I'm not so sure.

And what I can't understand is how these people can just go take tens of thousands out of the ATM. Most banks limit ATM withdrawals to $200-500 per day. Plus, you know, we all run around with tens of thousands in cash in our checking accounts we can just go to the ATM and get at any moment.

This. Exactly.

Honestly, this article seems to be sensationalizing a few bad experiences. I'm not a fan of travelling to Mexico, and I am very cautious when I visit, but I've never had a problem at all-inclusives. They make their money on Tips, they're not going to intentionally make customers sick.

As for this article being a "State Department Warning", the only site the article mentions is a grudge site written by a grieving parent with an ax to grind. There are no such warnings on the actual state department site; and they are usually very over-cautious in their recommendations of travel.

What it currently says for Quintana is:

"Quintana Roo (includes Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, and Tulum):
No advisory is in effect. However, U.S. citizens should exercise caution when traveling south of Felipe Carrillo Puerto or east of Jose Maria Morelos as cellular and internet services are virtually non-existent."

Last edited:
Honestly, this article seems to be sensationalizing a few bad experiences. I'm not a fan of travelling to Mexico, and I am very cautious when I visit, but I've never had a problem at all-inclusives. They make their money on Tips, they're not going to intentionally make customers sick.

As for this article being a "State Department Warning", the only site the article mentions is a grudge site written by a grieving parent with an ax to grind. There are no such warnings on the actual state department site; and they are usually very over-cautious in their recommendations of travel.

What it currently says for Quintana is:

"Quintana Roo (includes Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, and Tulum):
No advisory is in effect. However, U.S. citizens should exercise caution when traveling south of Felipe Carrillo Puerto or east of Jose Maria Morelos as cellular and internet services are virtually non-existent."

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/mexico.html

Scroll down to Safety & Security then scroll down to the part about alcohol.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/mexico.html

Scroll down to Safety & Security then scroll down to the part about alcohol.

"There have been allegations that consumption of tainted or substandard alcohol has resulted in illness or blacking out. If you choose to drink alcohol, it is important to do so in moderation and to stop and seek medical attention if you begin to feel ill."

Not exactly a typical "stay away" DoS warning, reads more like lip service. Note that they say there have been allegations, not confirmed incidents. The only recommendation is to use common sense.

If you want to see how a real DoS warning reads, take a look at the one for the Sudan:

"The U.S. State Department warns U.S. citizens against travel to the Republic of South Sudan because of ongoing fighting, intercommunal violence, and violent crime."

Honestly, I wasn't trying sensationalize anything. Info is coming out about this. More & more are stepping forward with various reports along the same lines. I have/had travel plans in Mexico. I love to drink on vacation. I'm choosing not to take a chance drinking in Mexico because the what-if is more than I'm willing to consider for myself. Thats me. Everyone else can decide for themselves. Believe it. Don't believe it. It's all good.

"There have been allegations that consumption of tainted or substandard alcohol has resulted in illness or blacking out. If you choose to drink alcohol, it is important to do so in moderation and to stop and seek medical attention if you begin to feel ill."

Not exactly a typical "stay away" DoS warning, reads more like lip service. Note that they say there have been allegations, not confirmed incidents. The only recommendation is to use common sense.

If you want to see how a real DoS warning reads, take a look at the one for the Sudan:

"The U.S. State Department warns U.S. citizens against travel to the Republic of South Sudan because of ongoing fighting, intercommunal violence, and violent crime."
I never stated it was a "stay away" warning. But the state department found reason to include it. It's there. Some government agency (I forget which) in Mexico stated some estimated figure of 40-something percent of alcohol in that country is illegal. (Wish they'd elaborate on that. Is it bootlegged? Smuggled in to avoid the tax man?) More and more people are stepping forward with questionable stories. This isn't stuff I made up. Just info I'm sharing. Everyone can decide for themselves if they believe it or not. I, personally, feel if you have dozens of people gradually coming forward with similar tales (what do these people benefit from a spun tale of that sort?) paired with legit motive ($$$$), the state department found it mention-worthy (probably more than 1 or 2 occurances), and a Mexican government agency themselves quoted an alarmingly high estimate of illegal alcohol (when you'd think they'd benefit by keeping THAT under wraps)....I dunno....it's an awful lot of things. I'm not there. I can't tell you for sure. All I can share is what I've read. If you don't buy it, that's cool. No sweat off my back. Those are the reasons I'm suspicious enough to modify my travel plans to err on the side of caution.

Ps. No travel plans for the Sudan either but thanks for the tip.

All the sensationalizing is hurting the innocent that depend on their AI jobs and tips to feed their family. You have to weigh it all out. Figure out the statistics of how many travel and how many actual people have been harmed. Take into consideration that sun and alcohol don't mix. Take into consideration there will always be those that drink beyond their limit and then blame the food and/or tainted alcohol. Take in to consideration how the ones are able to even pull out thousands from the ATM when there are daily limits. For many it's easier to point the finger than accept personal responsibility. Until there is 100% proof that it is a huge widespread problem then I am not buying it. I will continue to travel to Mexico.

I've actually read several accounts in all this of people who had a single drink (which is not at all outside their norm) and then the strange blackout experience. A single drink doesn't make your blood alcohol content 3 times the legal limit. Additionally, since the original story went mainstream the news agency who wrote it has apparently been contacted by more than 3 dozen different people who had similar experiences. Here's what I'm thinking: it's much like other crimes where people think what happened to them was their fault in some way. People didn't come forward and say anything because they didn't feel like they could or should. They're ashamed or embarrassed. If you read how the resort staff, medical staff, & even authorities treated these people it's really not surprising. The victims felt it was their own stupidity.....but then they've read all these other stories like theirs and they realize they aren't the only ones, that it wasn't their stupidity at all. It makes sense. It also explains why there isn't more info to be found. Nobody has been talking about it. That seems to be changing.

As far as what benefit it is to the resorts to serve tainted alcohol, there's actually many reasons they would/could benefit from it. First, at an all-inclusive that people often go to with the intent of taking advantage of an unlimited bar the cost of the alcohol to the resort is sure to be a significant expense. How can they reduce their overhead when it comes to the liquor? Stretch the bottles by adding "fillers". "Watering" is common & juvenile. Easy to call someone down on it. No loss of capacity to realize what's happening. Buy a quantity of the alcohol on the side from backdoor vendors untaxed. Then, if guests get sick make sure you have a "deal" in place with local ambulance services & medical facilities for a little kickback. A guest fully incapacitated? Perfect time to deliver them to their room to rifle thru their things. Or clean out their wallet. They'll never know. All possibilities make perfect sense in terms of motivation. I've looked at a bunch of all-inclusives all over and I'm often surprised at how inexpensive they can be. How is that place making any money? I know my husband & I can easily drink over a hundred in drinks any given day. Sometimes more. Then they also include all the food, facilities, etc. It would totally make sense.

Maybe the few articles out there seem fear-monger-ish but there's enough people coming forward reporting similar experiences that our government has added a carefully worded warning to the travel information & advisories for that area. It's enough for them to add a warning. If it was just a fair few who were simply sloppy drunks who got in over their head I really don't think they'd have made an addition to the travel advisories.

My comment about 3x the legal limit is the blood alcohol level of the two teenagers that was measured when they were found unconscious and injured in the pool. The boy admitted that they had multiple shots of tequila within an hour. I don't automatically assume then that the alcohol was tainted. They were drinking excessively.

As for motive, several of these stories say that the people blacked out but then woke up to find themselves unharmed and their valuables untouched. They can rifle through your room without you being there. Crimes happen all of the time. This isn't new.

If they were serving tainted alcohol. wouldn't you have groups of people falling ill all at the same time?? Those bartenders are going a mile a minute behind the bar and everyone is being served out of the same bottles. I watch them work. I would be more inclined to think that one isolated, bad employee slipped something into one drink than all of the resorts are out to get us.

Sadly, this family suffered a great loss and they are looking for something to explain what happened. That's why this story has blown up.

In my honest opinion, I would go but abstain from drinking. Maybe buy water bottles from the ship? If they don't let you maybe express your concern and work out another solution.
I am thanking God I don't drink, and don't have a desire to do so.
I have always been leery of Mexico but its somewhere my mom really wants to go, but I don't think she realizes it is a lot different than when she took a trip in highschool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter