**UPDATE in State Dept Warnings***Mexico All-Inclusives Whaaaaaat??????

Would drinking beer (bottled/canned) or wine be less of a threat? Seems to me that mixed drinks would be a crap shoot just about anywhere (i.e. watered down.)

I've never been handed bad liquor. Or tainted liquor. I wonder if it smells or tastes different at all.

From the new story that I saw who reported on this, there is no difference in taste or smell, which is scary!!

I'm not someone who drinks and tends to order "virgin" drinks due to side effects of alcohol with prescription medication I take. The problem with that is a lot of virgin drinks are blended with ice, which isn't always filtered water. I think it's sad that Mexico has been run by such a corrupt government because as a pp mentioned, there are so many neat things to see and do there!

Would drinking beer (bottled/canned) or wine be less of a threat? Seems to me that mixed drinks would be a crap shoot just about anywhere (i.e. watered down.)

Beer or single serve wine is likely safe.

Most of those sites produce fake news everyday and all day. I can see why people are skeptical. I tend to believe these stories. Although I haven't really researched enough to know if there's any agenda out there. You do realize people die and we don't get the real story. The number of news sites a story is reported on has nothing to do with if a story is real or not.

I never saw the appeal of going to these resorts, of course I live in Southern California, so we get lats of great beaches.....really when we go on a cruise, it is about the ship, not to go to some all inclusive resort, we don't drink, so the ship already has that for us......lol

Scary situation. We did an all inclusive years back and had no issues. Just not a repeated style of vacation for us.

Watering down drinks is one thing, thinking that there are places using tainted alcohol (purposely or otherwise) is another story entirely. deaths/serious illnesses.. people then being directed to clinics versus hospitals,, being divested of cash to get treatment and/or help. Refusal for police and/or investigations.
scary indeed.
There are too many of these horror stories coming to light... makes you wonder how many go Un-reported (due to unwarranted)embarrassment
??

It has been on Good Morning America multiple times in the last week. Will not keep us from going to Mexico. We go with our two children every other year and love our time there. I guess we are lucky that we only order "virgin" drinks...will probably continue that and enjoy our time there,
I think most people don't end up getting "poisoned", just like most people don't die in amusement park rides, or die in terrorist attacks while on their Med cruise, or get shot by the police for no reason. I'm glad you're not living your life in fear, sort of.

MUN

PS, ordering "virgin" drinks won't stop someone from slipping something in your drink.

Already have our yearly 3 week trip to Cozumel booked for next year. It's not stopping us. If you think about it, how many people are in MX at a given time? I would think if it was THAT wide spread there would be many, many more deaths.

Could happen anywhere. That being said, we opted to try Punta Cana instead of going back to Mexico. DH was a uncomfortable with returning to Mexico for several reasons. We're going back to Punta Cana again in October! We don't leave the Resort with the girls but they love it too.

I never saw the appeal of going to these resorts, of course I live in Southern California, so we get lats of great beaches.....really when we go on a cruise, it is about the ship, not to go to some all inclusive resort, we don't drink, so the ship already has that for us......lol
Not everyone lives on the beach. The beach is a big draw for many cruisers.
It won't stop me from enjoying Mexico. I just wont drink alcohol. Theres plenty of time to drink on ship if I so choose.

Could happen anywhere. That being said, we opted to try Punta Cana instead of going back to Mexico. DH was a uncomfortable with returning to Mexico for several reasons. We're going back to Punta Cana again in October! We don't leave the Resort with the girls but they love it too.

We LOVE Punta Cana, too, and have returned twice to our favorite all inclusive there. Amazing food, weather, accommodations, resort, just today my husband and i were reminiscing. .. about the food! Lol. Would go back in a heart beat. I'm still wary of the Riviera Maya region, that seems to be popular now.

Well I'll tell you the appeal for me...it's living here where that blue dot is that I've circled:
upload_2017-7-28_19-33-32.png

But really... if you adjusted your comment to: "I never saw the appeal of going to these resorts, really when we go on a cruise, it is about the ship, not to go to some all inclusive resort, we don't drink, so the ship already has that for us" I'd understand more-especially given that a large enough draw of an all-inclusive does tend to be alcohol is included.

But throwing if "of course I live in Southern California, so we get lats (I assume you mean lots not lats) of great beaches"...it just comes off :snooty: (though not trying to be mean here) moreso because it's combined with "I never saw the appeal of going to these resorts".

That being said I am sure there are a few people even in southern CA that enjoy a cruise for a beach or at the very least it's an attractive perk of the cruise.

Just booked a 5 night stay for November.....our 7th time at an all inclusive (and second time staying at this particular 5* resort in Mexico). Guess I better just drink beer :thumbsup2

Just booked a 5 night stay for November.....our 7th time at an all inclusive (and second time staying at this particular 5* resort in Mexico). Guess I better just drink beer :thumbsup2
Yeah, considering there's been numerous reports at 5* resorts in Mexico. :crazy2: :magnify:8-)

I find this all very interesting. I have a relative that went on their family reunion vacation at an all inclusive resort in Mexico a few years ago. One night her teenage niece was found drugged and raped at the resort. They took her to the hospital and she was eventually ok, a few days later. They tried to press charges because she was found in that state in a young man's room. The authorities did very little to help the family. At the time I thought it was a freak thing but now I wonder. It is also very concerning of the possibility, of a medical facility being in cahoots with criminals so they can make more money off of travelers. My son got very sick from food or drink poisoning, not alcoholic, when we were at Xcaret on our April cruise. It was not the flu and he had to be put on an antibiotic to get completely better.

I find this all very interesting. I have a relative that went on their family reunion vacation at an all inclusive resort in Mexico a few years ago. One night her teenage niece was found drugged and raped at the resort. They took her to the hospital and she was eventually ok, a few days later. They tried to press charges because she was found in that state in a young man's room. The authorities did very little to help the family. At the time I thought it was a freak thing but now I wonder. It is also very concerning of the possibility, of a medical facility being in cahoots with criminals so they can make more money off of travelers. My son got very sick from food or drink poisoning, not alcoholic, when we were at Xcaret on our April cruise. It was not the flu and he had to be put on an antibiotic to get completely better.
Wow that's awful. Its a different world down there when it comes to law enforcement. I'm sure the authorities would have done more if your family had paid them.

So very sorry to hear about your relatives niece. Awful!
One of the news outlets reported something about possibility of cohorts with medical facilities.
Hope your soon had a quick recovery as well... scary stuff!

You know, I had a company-awarded trip there a while back. Coming out of the airport onto 307 on the way to Playa, had to go through a military roadblock where they were searching cars while pointing automatic weapons backed up by someone on a .50 cal. OK, one bad thing. We go to Xel-Ha a few days later and it takes a sec, but you see the guys in camo on the tree line (which begins right at the edge of the parking lot) with their automatic weapons.

This is fun? And makes for a relaxing vaca? Even your average Six Flags doesn't require that kind of protection . . .

I've been in Cozumel several times. Went to Costa Maya once, too. Had fabulous days. Yep, I drank a drink here & there, too. This definitely makes me think of my options more cautiously. Hubby & I were planning to do an all-inclusive resort stay in fall 2018 in the Playa Mujeres or Isla Mujeres area (north of Cancun) so we could swim with whale sharks for our 25th anniversary. Maybe we'll just go to Tokyo, Hawaii, or tour Ireland instead. Yikes!

Isla Mujeres is such a fantastic little island! We love it!Hubby and I just got back from our 2nd trip to Excellence Playa Mujeres. Best trip ever! These articles were starting to circulate just before our trip and we were tagged in so many articles and sent so many messages while there but we had zero issues nor did we have issues last year. Just a really great time!

I too am from the South and know about bad shine and while I'm not saying these articles aren't true, it just seems like a WHOLE lot more people would be affected if it were tainted alcohol.

A picture of Playa Norte on Isla Mujeres.
playa norte.jpg

Oh wow! You've been to Playa Mujeres! We were actually looking at the Secrets resort there. A different Secrets was cited in the article.

I toured Secrets Playa Mujeres while there. It wouldn't be at the top of my list for Secrets Resorts but you may enjoy it depending on what you're looking for in a resort. If you do decide to visit the area, check out Excellence. Its rated the top all inclusive in the world and while I haven't visited them all, it is by far the best I've ever visited.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter