**UPDATE in State Dept Warnings***Mexico All-Inclusives Whaaaaaat??????

sweetpee_1993

DIS Veteran
I really make it a point NOT to be a paranoid tourist. I've walked to Starbucks & the straw Market in Nassau. I've left the port area & made my way out to a nearby beach/fishing village in Costa Maya. I've never done an all-inclusive in Mexico but I was planning to in October. Second guessing this now. I often wondered how the beach clubs with the day passes made money charging so little while including all the drinks & food. This is definitely making me think long & hard....

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...mexico-suspected-drugging-tourists/490429001/

I have been to a dozen place in between Playa del Carmen to Cancun and never had an issue. They do have water filtration systems at almost every place. They will not be open long it they have a rash of sick people. Just use common sense to stay out of stretchy areas. :-) You will likely not leave the place much.

I have been to a dozen place in between Playa del Carmen to Cancun and never had an issue. They do have water filtration systems at almost every place. They will not be open long it they have a rash of sick people. Just use common sense to stay out of stretchy areas. :-) You will likely not leave the place much.
Did you read the article? These occurrences were not at back-alley sketchy places. Secrets. Iberostar. An Iberostar in Cozumel who sells day passes. Really highly rated places! A figure of up to 40-something percent was given (not sure who collected that statistic) of alcohol is known to be sub-standard or tampered with to reduce bar costs. So essentially they're willingly poisoning people to save a buck. That's kinda scary to think about. And would make sense with the business models of the all-inclusive beach clubs. They go on to say you won't see any mention of it on Trip Advisor because Trip Advisor won't post the reviews from people who mention it. That's also alarming because I know I use that site as a research resource. Just makes me nervous. How could I know my drinks aren't okay? Not talking about water or ice. I'm talking alcohol.

I really make it a point NOT to be a paranoid tourist. I've walked to Starbucks & the straw Market in Nassau. I've left the port area & made my way out to a nearby beach/fishing village in Costa Maya. I've never done an all-inclusive in Mexico but I was planning to in October. Second guessing this now. I often wondered how the beach clubs with the day passes made money charging so little while including all the drinks & food. This is definitely making me think long & hard....

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...mexico-suspected-drugging-tourists/490429001/
It must be particularly shocking for these Milwaukee area families to experience crime in Mexico considering Milwaukee is crime free.

I read this and it worries me too. I think I'll remain "alcohol free" on my excursions.

Thanks for posting. Honestly, even before seeing that, you couldn't pay me to go to Mexico. And I've visited and loved Jamaica - which so many people talk about avoiding.

Shame though - such a beautiful area and popular destination 2-3 decades ago, from what I understand?

We did visit Cozumel on a couple of past cruise stops and visited the state park chankanaab.

You couldn't PAY me to ever go to one of the all inclusive resorts in a third world country. Nope. Mexico is particularly sketchy...this article doesn't surprise me at all.

It must be particularly shocking for these Milwaukee area families to experience crime in Mexico considering Milwaukee is crime free.

I'm assuming you jest? **giggles** Seriously. Never been to Milwaukee. Or anywhere near it. But I get you. My parents who live in a small, rural Alabama town watch the local news out of the nearest big city and the way they talk the only reason to ever go to that city is if you wanted to get murdered or robbed. I asked why they feel that way. "It's on the news every day. People robbed, shot, murdered. That city is so dangerous." I live in the Houston area. There's long lists of those things here daily yet we function just fine. Definitely not naive. I like to think I'm not overly sensitive to it the way my poor folks are.

Nope! Wouldn't go after reading that.

Everyone sings the praises of the all-inclusives in Cozumel such as Nachi Cocum or Mr. Sanchos. That's what my friends & I were planning to do in October when we port there. Maybe I just won't drink any alcohol....which kinda defeats the purpose of going to an all-inclusive..... sadly. I wonder if I could pay the all-inclusive but also carry a bottle of liquor I purchased myself in the port shops. Hmmmmm........

From what I hear, all inclusive resorts are notorious for watering down drinks, not making them more potent.

They're saying they pour things that aren't the what the label reads into the bottles. Bootlegged liquor. Being a southern girl I'm aware of the dangers of gettin' hold of a bad shine. This is pretty dang scary to think about. Bad alcohol or the substitutes mentioned are dangerous!

I read this and it worries me too. I think I'll remain "alcohol free" on my excursions.

Sadness for me. I was looking forward to an all-inclusive day! But, what the article describes sure answers some confusing questions I've had. Like how do grown people stand in waist-deep water, drink 1 drink or do 1 shot, and drown? You're STANDING and SOBER. One drink, unless you have a really out there metabolism thing going on which you'd likely already be aware of, wouldn't render a person unconcscious. BUT, if it's tainted alcohol or other chemicals altogether.....explains a LOT.

Mexico has been on my "do not go there" list for a long time.

I've been in Cozumel several times. Went to Costa Maya once, too. Had fabulous days. Yep, I drank a drink here & there, too. This definitely makes me think of my options more cautiously. Hubby & I were planning to do an all-inclusive resort stay in fall 2018 in the Playa Mujeres or Isla Mujeres area (north of Cancun) so we could swim with whale sharks for our 25th anniversary. Maybe we'll just go to Tokyo, Hawaii, or tour Ireland instead. Yikes!

Thanks for posting. Honestly, even before seeing that, you couldn't pay me to go to Mexico. And I've visited and loved Jamaica - which so many people talk about avoiding.

Shame though - such a beautiful area and popular destination 2-3 decades ago, from what I understand?

We did visit Cozumel on a couple of past cruise stops and visited the state park chankanaab.

We did a manatee interaction at Chankanaab a couple years back. I liked that place. Seemed nice enough. It poured rain all day so once our interaction was over we didn't stay around. But it did seem very nice. Such a shame. I agree. There's some really amazing things to see & do in Mexico.

You couldn't PAY me to ever go to one of the all inclusive resorts in a third world country. Nope. Mexico is particularly sketchy...this article doesn't surprise me at all.

I just read so so sooooo many people doing the all-inclusive day passes at various resorts and they all seem to enjoy it. This article definitely makes me wonder if that's the way to go. Like I said, I've visited Mexican ports many times and had fantastic experiences. I was so excited for my next one. Now I'm kinda nervous. Maybe there's a way to "test" drinks to rule out certain substances. I know there's a way to check for rohypnal and things like that. Hmmmm.....

I'm not a nervous traveller either, I will go any and everywhere, but you can bet your *** I won't be drinking in mexico!
That's pretty alarming, isn't it?! I love to relax with some drinky-drinks....but maybe I'll just stay on the ship where the drinks are okay....

Fake news.

As someone who loves close to the border, I've always been taught to not drink opened drinks or drinks served directly in a glass in Mexico. Those are just border towns we used to frequent as a day trip until things got bad, but I'm sure my practice would carry over to resort towns too. But I'm a person that if I did book a cruise I would want to stay on the boat.

We've been to six different all inclusives in Mexico, ranging from 3 star to 5 star (will only do 5 star now that we are older and have more money lol) and have never had any issues such as this. Lucky? Who knows. We will continue to frequent Mexico when we can (gotta stop booking cruises I guess :confused3 haha don't want to do that either!)

"...four or five shots of tequila, and then another shot. .." That's a lot of tequila. I'm not saying they weren't poisoned but they could have just been drunk and dehydrated and jet lagged. That article is a little sensationalized, written with some generalizations; however, I've never been to any of the places in that article, so I shouldn't comment, but. ..

Everyone sings the praises of the all-inclusives in Cozumel such as Nachi Cocum

We've been twice, LOVE Nachi Cocum! Highly recommend! They can make money charging so little bc Mexico is a poorer, developing nation, and tourism is one of the most important industries to their economy. Why would they intentionally poison people. Doesn't make sense.

Isla Mujeres area

Been there twice, too, love it there, too! Was a sleepy town, now they're really trying to rebuild a lot of resorts. Would def go back.

Also, the all-inclusives they're citing in that article are not the all-inclusives you're speaking of for port excursions. These, they try to please day trippers so you come back and write good reviews, tell your friends, etc. I'm not sure what they would gain by poisoning you.

Who's to say, though. Sad stuff in that article.

I've always worried more about the ice that's melting in my drink. I'm not sure about the water down there. I'm not sure you can say because it's never happened to me. It's fake news. It may be rare, but it probably happens. Mexico is an mess of corruption in my opinion so nothing surprises me. We had a vacation house down there when I was a kid. The town was run by a drug lord.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter