Pat Robertson dead at 93.

I remember times in university, coming home super late flipping the channels & somehow landing on him.

This is over thirty years ago and I still remember a young wife & mother phoning in because she was being physically abused by her husband. Obviously was looking for help and compassion during a horrific time. She was trying to balance the sanctity of marriage with it all, in her head (sadly as it was obviously unsafe).

Mr. Robertson without skipping a beat told her to stay in her marriage & simply pray for her husband. A la that will do it. Left her with passages. Counselled her just to work it out with him.

I remember my mouth aghast like it was yesterday.
and charged her 29.99 for the phone call I am sure.

Your correct the person that started this thread did not set up it up to wish he was dead.
If you are implying that he did, his timing sucked because PR was already dead at the time. Kind of a waste of a wish. None of the responses no matter how negative sounding wished him dead. In fact, I have spent years ignoring him unfortunately many didn't and many were scammed.

His social standing is what kept him from having any consequences and he used religion as a shield. It really isn't up to us to judge, but we can only go by what standards we might individually have about his behavior. If indeed all his preaching is true, no matter how unchristian is seemed then he will be rewarded in the after life. None of us, that I am aware of are responsible for his death. The number 93 is the actual guilty party here. I didn't hate him, I didn't respect him enough to hate him, but I did then and I still do think he was the worse kind of thief doing his robbing dressed in the armor of religious leader. The question is what did god think about all this. And maybe all of us should think about how would god/jesus/holy spirit want us to act and exemplify. Talking means nothing, it is actions that define good or evil and his actions were anything but what I think a deity would have wanted.

And if it is true that it was what god wanted then I will be, an atheist because I don't want that to be part of anything that its members think is commendable. If people cannot see that all people are a creation of the same deity that they believe created everything I cannot be part of that.

If you are implying that he did, his timing sucked because PR was already dead at the time. Kind of a waste of a wish. None of the responses no matter how negative sounding wished him dead. In fact, I have spent years ignoring him unfortunately many didn't and many were scammed.

His social standing is what kept him from having any consequences and he used religion as a shield. It really isn't up to us to judge, but we can only go by what standards we might individually have about his behavior. If indeed all his preaching is true, no matter how unchristian is seemed then he will be rewarded in the after life. None of us, that I am aware of are responsible for his death. The number 93 is the actual guilty party here. I didn't hate him, I didn't respect him enough to hate him, but I did then and I still do think he was the worse kind of thief doing his robbing dressed in the armor of religious leader. The question is what did god think about all this. And maybe all of us should think about how would god/jesus/holy spirit want us to act and exemplify. Talking means nothing, it is actions that define good or evil and his actions were anything but what I think a deity would have wanted.

And if it is true that it was what god wanted then I will be, an atheist because I don't want that to be part of anything that its members think is commendable. If people cannot see that all people are a creation of the same deity that they believe created everything I cannot be part of that.
The world is full of false prophets. There's lots of people on TV that lie to you without blinking an eye. If he is what you say he is then he’s just one of many in this world.

Im sure this thread was started to get a few frequent posters riled up and it looks like it worked.

You can have a moral compass without believing in God. Most people know right from wrong and act accordingly. Some do it without the thought of eternal damnation or some other sort of punishment from God, which is commendable. I believe in God. However, I don't believe He or She or whatever God is is up there waiting to smite me if I "sin." I went through that phase of my life, and I'm glad I don't think that way anymore.

You can have a moral compass without believing in God. Most people know right from wrong and act accordingly. Some do it without the thought of eternal damnation or some other sort of punishment from God, which is commendable. I believe in God. However, I don't believe He or She or whatever God is is up there waiting to smite me if I "sin." I went through that phase of my life, and I'm glad I don't think that way anymore.
Most people know right from wrong because they were taught it. Where did it originate? There are certain laws and standards we live by they came from somewhere. I’ve never been to a church that taught anything other than all sins are forgiven. Never heard the smiting from above theory.

Did not forgive Eve.
Are we talking before or after Christ. I don’t think religion is allowed on these boards, but from the standpoint of what most Christian churches teach is that Jesus died on cross for our sins. There are differences between demolitions. but that is a common denominator. Muslims and Jews have a different take on things. It’s been decades since I took a college course on different religions.

So you’re saying Pat Robertson had no god?

My moral compass:

- If it spreads joy, peace, and justice: RIGHT.

- If it affects and harms people: WRONG.
You still haven’t answered the question?

Most people know right from wrong because they were taught it. Where did it originate? There are certain laws and standards we live by they came from somewhere. I’ve never been to a church that taught anything other than all sins are forgiven. Never heard the smiting from above theory.
Well, Pat Robertson said that hurricanes were caused by having gay people in America. If that ain't a smite, I don't know what is. He also said that the Haitian earthquake a while back was caused by Haiti making a pact with the devil to get out from under slavery by the French. He certainly thought God was smiting from above. Many denominations believe this sort of crap.

Anyway, I'm done here. You had your say, I had mine. I don't want points for discussing religion, although I guess maybe that horse is out of the barn.

Well, Pat Robertson said that hurricanes were caused by having gay people in America. If that ain't a smite, I don't know what is. He also said that the Haitian earthquake a while back was caused by Haiti making a pact with the devil to get out from under slavery by the French. He certainly thought God was smiting from above. Many denominations believe this sort of crap.

Anyway, I'm done here. You had your say, I had mine. I don't want points for discussing religion, although I guess maybe that horse is out of the barn.
I’ve never heard that maybe you need to find a new church. There’s are plenty of churches from all different denominations that help the community. I wouldn’t base an opinion on one tv personality.

I'm sure if you could you would, but you can't or don't want to... or maybe you really don't know.
I think what you are trying to push the other poster into saying is that right and wrong and how we view that today is derived from religion and God. It is not. All one has to do is a quick google search on morality and societies and it's supposed origins and there is evidence it existed well before organized religion. In fact, primates and other intelligent mammals already display morality in their "societies." It seems to be hardwired into highly evolved brains as a means for survival of a species and it seems to be based on, conceptually, "fairness." Lying, stealing, and negative behaviors if permitted in a society (human or primate) appear to have detrimental effects on that society with regard to survival.

When various religions were formed they adopted the hardwired behaviors as tenets of their doctrine. Humans were not all raving, thieving, murderous lunatics for thousands of years before religion. There was already a code, so to speak.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter