Pat Robertson dead at 93.

I'm definitely not defending him, but I do have one thing he got right. His statement(s) against things that occurred in 2020/2021.

While I can say that I was no fan of the man and the things he said, I also don't think it's right to revel in the death of anyone. It is not a cause for celebration, but rather should be a reflective moment. I understand the impulse, but I think we should strive to do better than that.

I'll reiterate. It's not about who died or respecting them at all. I didn't respect this man and still don't. It is certianly still valid to criticize him and his ideas. What I don't want to do is hope for people to die. I don't want to celebrate when they do and treat it as some great thing - even if I hated them. Of course, we shouldn't hate anyone either.

I just don't want to be that kind of person.

I’m conflicted. On one hand, I liked your posts, because it made me think about a late loved one’s forgiveness toward horrific abuse and religious cults. As someone who has a hard time with forgiveness, I aspire to be more like that kind of person (the anti-Pat).

On the other, it wasn’t too long ago that many on the Dis were celebrating Osama Bin Laden’s death.

If this is simply about the act of rejoicing and celebrating death - anyone’s death - isn’t it hypocritical to be ok with one and not another?

Also, BrianL, I’m not saying YOU do/did this. Just something for people to think about…

Last edited:
I never said I admired him. I don’t admire anyone. We’re all sinners. I don’t believe in reveling in someone’s death. Bad karma in my opinion.
Only if you believe in magical thinking. I don't believe in "karma" meaning that if I am happy an evil person is no longer here that I'm going to get some blowback. Nope, doesn't work that way. I'm relieved his is no longer able to spread his vile anymore. It hurts people.

I think some of people throwing around the the word "hate" don't really understand what that means. Buzzwords are simplistic and condescending dismissals. Not everything is black or white.

Only if you believe in magical thinking. I don't believe in "karma" meaning that if I am happy an evil person is no longer here that I'm going to get some blowback. Nope, doesn't work that way. I'm relieved his is no longer able to spread his vile anymore. It hurts people.
I don’t wish people dead that I disagree with, but you do you.

A lot of irony in that statement

Explain how what I said is ironic.

I fully admit that I have hate for certain people who have engaged in specific hateful actions against people that have actually had real life consequences for those people.

In this case, yep, I hated PR. I never once engaged in any behavior that directly affected him or anyone he was associated with. The extent of my hate has been internalized and shared here on this specific thread. I have never gone after him or his family. I have never influenced people in power to Co opt my hate for political or personal gain.

Hate is an emotion. I don't repress my emotions. I let myself feel them. I think that's healthy. I don't subscribe to the idea that emotions are good and bad. I am not religious in the slightest, so I don't feel any guilt for my feelings.

I don’t wish people dead that I disagree with, but you do you.
I never wished the man dead, nope. I wished fervently that he'd be exposed for what he was during his life. The fact that he died thinking everything he said was correct and moral and of God bugs the heck out of me. His statements were hateful and divisive, and so wrapped up in a twisted sense of religion that it helped create more people who thought exactly like him. Kirk Cameron comes to mind.

He's gone. The problem is that every hateful thing he said, particularly about the LGBTQ+ community, will live on in people he helped to create hate in. That will be his legacy.

I had to read Wikipedia to see what controversial things he said. It made laugh… seriously this is what your worked up about. I have not seen this guy on TV since I was 10. I doubt many people under the age of 35 have heard of him. He hasn’t been relevant in years. Certainly not worth getting worked up about.

I had to read Wikipedia to see what controversial things he said. It made laugh… seriously this is what your worked up about. I have not seen this guy on TV since I was 10. I doubt many people under the age of 35 have heard of him. He hasn’t been relevant in years. Certainly not worth getting worked up about.
The fact that you laughed says way more about you than it does those of us who are glad the old bat finally died.

His statements were hateful and divisive, and so wrapped up in a twisted sense of religion that it helped create more people who thought exactly like him. Kirk Cameron comes to mind.
He used religion to take advantage of desperate people, for political and financial gain. If you believe in sin, there are two huge ones right there.

Not everyone is uninformed. Many get their information from sources other than Google.

He was absolutely relevant to way too many people; just look at his bank accounts for proof of that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter