Pat Robertson dead at 93.

Things we've learned this week:

1. An old 90+ yr old guy died this week.
2. The old guy was on TV for a long time.
3. Many people have strong feelings about the dead guy.
4. Many people have strong feelings about other people's strong feelings about the dead guy.

:-)
That pretty much sums it up. :) It's been a very informative thread.

There are TWO of the Ten Commandments that are in our laws. If it was that important, why aren't there more?

I really prefer the ten alternate commandments, and think PR violated several of these.

1. Be open-minded and be willing to alter your beliefs with new evidence.

2. Strive to understand what is most likely to be true, not to believe what you wish to be true.

3. The scientific method is the most reliable way of understanding the natural world.

4. Every person has the right to control of their body.

5. God is not necessary to be a good person or to live a full and meaningful life.

6. Be mindful of the consequences of all your actions and recognize that you must take responsibility for them.

7. Treat others as you would want them to treat you, and can reasonably expect them to want to be treated. Think about their perspective.

8. We have the responsibility to consider others, including future generations.

9. There is no one right way to live.

10. Leave the world a better place than you found it.

https://time.com/3582354/heres-a-secular-alternative-to-the-ten-commandments/

Actually, one of the biggest problems with society right now is that corrupt grifters have convinced a not-insignificant portion of the population that mainstream media is fake news.
It’s less then .25% of the population that watches cable news. It’s actually less than 200k in the key demos. If you’re watching it then actually you’re part of the insignificant portion of the population that watches it . Numbers don’t lie. People are tuning out.

I don’t ignore that theory I don’t agree with it . Are humans born with morals or are they taught them . I believe the later. If people are born with morals than why does such a large percentage of people lack them? I think lack of religion and the breakdown of the nuclear family have a lot to do with it. If you look back over the decades it’s the one thing that has changed.

Yes you will find many hypocrites in church and many wonderful people that never set foot in a church that wasn’t really the point. Something has changed in our society and not for the better. I believe lack of religion bringing people together plays a role, but like you said there are other factors. If we ever have another economic depression in the country it will be all out chaos.
Which large percentage of people are you talking about? Whose morals are you judging them by?

It’s less then .25% of the population that watches cable news. It’s actually less than 200k in the key demos. If you’re watching it then actually you’re part of the insignificant portion of the population that watches it . Numbers don’t lie. People are tuning out.
Citations, please?

You still haven't answered my question of which media sources are unbiased enough to watch, @DCLMP . I agree that many news outlets are biased one way or another. I am genuinely curious, as I said before.

I don’t ignore that theory I don’t agree with it . Are humans born with morals or are they taught them . I believe the later. If people are born with morals than why does such a large percentage of people lack them? I think lack of religion and the breakdown of the nuclear family have a lot to do with it. If you look back over the decades it’s the one thing that has changed.

Yes you will find many hypocrites in church and many wonderful people that never set foot in a church that wasn’t really the point. Something has changed in our society and not for the better. I believe lack of religion bringing people together plays a role, but like you said there are other factors. If we ever have another economic depression in the country it will be all out chaos.
How can someone be born with morals? Morals are, for lack of a better description, a social construct. You can get these morals from religion, social interactions, or both. Most people will get them from the latter as religious and social norms are intertwined into most cultures.

Morals and religions beliefs are frankly not always synonymous. There are some fundamental religions beliefs I personally find amoral. A lot of evil has been done in the name of just about every religion.

You still haven't answered my question of which media sources are unbiased enough to watch, @DCLMP . I agree that many news outlets are biased one way or another. I am genuinely curious, as I said before.
None I don't watch any cable or mainstream media. One of the few good things that have happened over the last few decades is that we have numerous sources of information. Numerous blogs, websites podcasts etc.

I spend a great deal of my time on the financial markets and the economy. There are a variety of sources and podcasts to listen to every day. We're no longer limited to a handful of news stations.

We got rid of DTV five years ago and got cable then we got rid of that two years ago. If I turn on the TV it's for Netflix or Prime. I listen to a variety of podcasts when I'm working out or going for long walks. There's also the internet with a variety of sources.

If you look at the ratings for all cable news it's a minuscule amount of people tuning in every night. Of course, there are clips put on Twitter or youtube that people comment on which will give you a different perspective.

The way people get their news keeps evolving. I personally think that's good I don't want to be spoon-fed a narrative.

I know this is late and all. But you’ve posted so much during this thread, I’ve got ask: What“s your point?
Everytime I log in I have like 10 people quoting me. I respond to a couple of them and it just multiples. My natural instinct is to respond to people. It’s definitely a flaw. I need to learn to zip it.

Interesting article. Here are my thoughts on religion/goverment historically speaking. Main point is you cannot compare Christianity and the insitutions is creates today to Chritianity and the institutions of past centuries. the arguement that our country was based on "christianity" has less to do with religion/ the bible, but more on the political influence religion had; back then "the Church" was highly influenctial politicially speaking both in England ( prostestant, founding fathers) or catholic. Good example: The reason catholic priests were/ are not allowed to marry is that this ensured that church money,. property, captial was past down within the Bishipdoms ( kept in the church) vs inherited to legitimate kids ( most priests probably had kids anyways). This why the catholic church is worths 100s of billions. Which makes me angry on how growing up we were told priests cannot marry as they are married to God or I was told having a family would not allow them to give 100% to their flock 24/7. Henry the VIII didnt create his own church based on some religios/christian epithony but politics/money/marriage.

Today in europe the two main churces still have political/social influences due to the shear billions they own in properties and how they underwrite so many social institutions such as public kindergartens, hosptials, nursing homes and more. But the majority of peopl who use this services or infrastructures i would put money on, don't identify themselves as bible reading "Christians" in the religious sense.

Same with our founding fathers as the article explains. Most were free thinkers, liberal ( in the true sense of the word) and all came from old world christian backgrounds as this was largely the only religion back then. I would say more coincidence than influence.

my post is not to start a religious conversation, but I find the historical aspect of the "church" or not is fascinating.

None I don't watch any cable or mainstream media. One of the few good things that have happened over the last few decades is that we have numerous sources of information. Numerous blogs, websites podcasts etc.

I spend a great deal of my time on the financial markets and the economy. There are a variety of sources and podcasts to listen to every day. We're no longer limited to a handful of news stations.

We got rid of DTV five years ago and got cable then we got rid of that two years ago. If I turn on the TV it's for Netflix or Prime. I listen to a variety of podcasts when I'm working out or going for long walks. There's also the internet with a variety of sources.

If you look at the ratings for all cable news it's a minuscule amount of people tuning in every night. Of course, there are clips put on Twitter or youtube that people comment on which will give you a different perspective.

The way people get their news keeps evolving. I personally think that's good I don't want to be spoon-fed a narrative.
You think a blog or podcast isn’t spoon-fed and is unbiased? It’s literally one person’s opinion.

You think a blog or podcast isn’t spoon-fed and is unbiased? It’s literally one person’s opinion.
Agree 100% Many media/ cable or not actually have "professionals" who study journalism or what not. Most cable news are AP affliliated etc...

ANYONE can develop a youtube channel, blog/vlog or social followers and all of these have some short of agenda/bias.

There is "cable news" (meaning it's inaccessible if you don't subscribe to a cable/satellite package), and then there is the content provider named after a woodland animal with reddish fur, a pointy nose and a bushy tail. You can get *that* content all over the place on the Web without spending a dime. It won't be perfectly fresh, and you'll have to sit through some ads, but those who want it can access that content for free with just a little effort. And, as a lot of that provider's fans are older folks on fixed incomes, they make that effort. That means that a lot of folks who are not subscribed cable customers still manage to regularly consume that content.

Walk into any dining or drinking establishment in the Villages (pop. 145K at last count) and it's the only TV you will see. They even broadcast the News Radio programming via the Village Communications-owned local AM radio station in public areas of the communities. (It's actually like that in a lot of over-55 communities, particularly those in the South.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter