Pat Robertson dead at 93.

I never said I admired him. I don’t admire anyone. We’re all sinners. I don’t believe in reveling in someone’s death. Bad karma in my opinion.

When did I say we people? What religions have I mentioned?
Karma - comes from Hindu and Buddhist religions. "We're all sinners" - there's the we. Hope this helps?

I could give two hoots about Pat. it was all the hate language that got me interested in the thread. The fact that people think hate is healthy emotion is rather shocking. Like the other posters meme go ahead and "let the hate flow through you",
I use right and wrong. Those words have very clear meanings of their own.

Morality has nothing to do with religion.
You do realize what a lot of our laws are based on, don't you?

I think what you are trying to push the other poster into saying is that right and wrong and how we view that today is derived from religion and God. It is not. All one has to do is a quick google search on morality and societies and it's supposed origins and there is evidence it existed well before organized religion. In fact, primates and other intelligent mammals already display morality in their "societies." It seems to be hardwired into highly evolved brains as a means for survival of a species and it seems to be based on, conceptually, "fairness." Lying, stealing, and negative behaviors if permitted in a society (human or primate) appear to have detrimental effects on that society with regard to survival.

When various religions were formed they adopted the hardwired behaviors as tenets of their doctrine. Humans were not all raving, thieving, murderous lunatics for thousands of years before religion. There was already a code, so to speak.
I'd have a lot to comment on that, but I don't want to get the thread shut down. Google really? Morality is subjective, When I look around today I don't see a lot of morality. I don't believe people are born with morals. They are usually taught and what's acceptable to one person may not be to another.
The nice thing at least in this country you can believe whatever you want to believe. You can even walk around hating on everyone if you want to.

Crime, depression, suicide, adultery, drug addiction, pedophilia, child abuse, and divorce are common in our society and are increasing. The family structure is barely there anymore.

I always love how people google find an article that agrees with their point of view and then post it as fact. Like Hey I was right.

Are we talking before or after Christ. I don’t think religion is allowed on these boards, but from the standpoint of what most Christian churches teach is that Jesus died on cross for our sins. There are differences between demolitions. but that is a common denominator. Muslims and Jews have a different take on things. It’s been decades since I took a college course on different religions.
So many different versions, Who's right?!

Great AutoCorrect with "demolitions," btw. :laughing:

I always love how people google find an article that agrees with their point of view and then post it as fact. Like Hey I was right.

Actually, if you read, they interviewed a variety of history professors from various institutions and who all gave answers based on history.

The poster does not believe in CNN
Well, it's not actually a CNN study but rather a report of a study by CNN. Just a news item of a study. I mean, it is what it is. If CNN said, based on studies, that the sun rises in the east, I wouldn't universally doubt the statement.

I could give two hoots about Pat. it was all the hate language that got me interested in the thread. The fact that people think hate is healthy emotion is rather shocking. Like the other posters meme go ahead and "let the hate flow through you",

You do realize what a lot of our laws are based on, don't you?

First of all, I didn't say hate was a healthy emotion. I said that allowing yourself to recognize and feel your emotions signals a healthy mental state. Not all emotions are useful or healthy. It's whether you ACT out towards others or yourself that defines whether you have a healthy or unhealthy relationship with your emotions.

Second, you have it backwards. The religions are based on the laws that a society decided it needed in place in order to function. The social compact, if you will. It was never okay, for example, to murder others. So, sure, it's one of the 10 commandments. Probably the most important one.

Humans and other highly intelligent animals all behave in similar basic ways when in groups. Acts like killing, stealing, and hoarding have detrimental effects on a social group. Fairness is a basic concept that is hardwired into our brains. A violation of this concept causes distress and a breakdown of the social structure.

Religion was created as a means to control people's behavior in large groups, primarily through fear. The ten commandments, as the story goes, are "God's Rules" for man. And if you disobey them, you don't get to go to heaven. Believers feel so strongly about the afterlife that they toe the line while on earth. It's been pretty effective, I guess. Manipulation through fear has always been a good way to control the behavior of people that you need to fall in line.

Well, it's not actually a CNN study but rather a report of a study by CNN. Just a news item of a study. I mean, it is what it is. If CNN said, based on studies, that the sun rises in the east, I wouldn't universally doubt the statement.

Exactly. I had also cited a CNN study just above your post that the poster dismissed because it was reported by CNN.

I'd have a lot to comment on that, but I don't want to get the thread shut down. Google really? Morality is subjective, When I look around today I don't see a lot of morality. I don't believe people are born with morals. They are usually taught and what's acceptable to one person may not be to another.
The nice thing at least in this country you can believe whatever you want to believe. You can even walk around hating on everyone if you want to.

Crime, depression, suicide, adultery, drug addiction, pedophilia, child abuse, and divorce are common in our society and are increasing. The family structure is barely there anymore.

Yes, Google, really. No need to be snide. Google provides links to papers written by people who spend their lives studying Archeological Social Science. There are writings and findings that predate organized religion. You can also observe the behaviors in a society of primates and, again, there are findings on that. Obviously you don't wish to believe that. Now if you want to believe that a Creator instilled moralistic behavior in humans and primates, then that's one way of getting there. The athesist can say that it's an evolutionary behavior that developed for survival in groups.

Not sure what you are trying to equate the crime, depression, etc to so I'm not sure how to respond to that.

As for hate, I'm not sure why you think I am walking around hating on everyone. I don't care much about Pat Robertson. I was bored yesterday and decided to respond to that thread. I feel no hatred toward the man. But I know he is an AWFUL human being, despite being full of religion, and I don't feel bad that he passed away.

It's mighty stretch to get to hate. Your hyperbole is helping here.

Yes, Google, really. No need to be snide. Google provides links to papers written by people who spend their lives studying Archeological Social Science. There are writings and findings that predate organized religion. You can also observe the behaviors in a society of primates and, again, there are findings on that. Obviously you don't wish to believe that. Now if you want to believe that a Creator instilled moralistic behavior in humans and primates, then that's one way of getting there. The athesist can say that it's an evolutionary behavior that developed for survival in groups.

Not sure what you are trying to equate the crime, depression, etc to so I'm not sure how to respond to that.

As for hate, I'm not sure why you think I am walking around hating on everyone. I don't care much about Pat Robertson. I was bored yesterday and decided to respond to that thread. I feel no hatred toward the man. But I know he is an AWFUL human being, despite being full of religion, and I don't feel bad that he passed away.

It's mighty stretch to get to hate. Your hyperbole is helping here.
Research requires looking at both sides. Google is also censored and the media leans one way.

The hate comment was not directed at you. It was in reference to many posts.

It doesn’t take a genius to see that there’s a problem with society right now. I guess we can agree to disagree on what’s causing it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter