Masks no longer required outdoors at WDW

I was solo this trip and about 1/4 of the time when a loading or queue CM saw me they assumed I was a larger party based on the people immediately behind me!!!
I go solo a lot anyway, and that always happens to me, and because I'm a woman they always ask a man behind me how many are in "our" party so I have to yell that I'm alone AND in front of them. In August I got visibly angry with a CM because of this when he put us all in a row together on Frozen, and ended up with some FP to use. It's really annoying, sometimes I want to have shirts or buttons made stating the fact I'm alone and happy.

Fantastic! The June trip is saved!

I see the pictures of the lanyards - that is a great idea - but the pics don't show where we can get them. Where do I get a mask lanyard?

Amazon is where we got ours. But I did see some at Wal-Mart. Check in the accessories area and also in the feminine hygiene area. I saw them in both.

Fantastic! The June trip is saved!

I see the pictures of the lanyards - that is a great idea - but the pics don't show where we can get them. Where do I get a mask lanyard?
I found some at Hobby Lobby, and they were inexpensive. I can't remember exact price, but I think in the $3-$5 range.

I go solo a lot anyway, and that always happens to me, and because I'm a woman they always ask a man behind me how many are in "our" party so I have to yell that I'm alone AND in front of them. In August I got visibly angry with a CM because of this when he put us all in a row together on Frozen, and ended up with some FP to use. It's really annoying, sometimes I want to have shirts or buttons made stating the fact I'm alone and happy.

Yes I go solo a lot too and know this happens. But it’s the fact that right now we should be distancing and obviously most aren’t. Someone else had mentioned it seems people are doing ok in an outside queue but once it moved inside they bunch up. I noticed that too. Like it gets them on sooner???

Problem is how do you if someone is vac once inside and not just taking their mask off?
How will you EVER know? Some people I know have had cancer and can't get the vaccine. Some have already had COVID and won't get the vaccine (over 33 million just in the United States). There are a LOT more that have had it and not reported or tested. I know of several families that all were sick and just one person got tested, so they assumed all had COVID.

Problem is how do you if someone is vac once inside and not just taking their mask off?

You don't. However, if you are vaccinated, you are covered. Dr. Fauci says that being in "mixed company" (my words, not his) *will* happen, but if you are vaccinated, it is still safe for you (probability-wise, not absolute-wise), so he's OK with, if you are vaccinated, to take your mask off (except in the special outlined circumstances).

As an aside, talk of "how will they verify that someone who is not wearing a mask is vaccinated", it might be that they don't. If you are vaccinated, you don't care that someone else without a face mask isn't (except in the outlined limited exceptions like public transportation). On the other hand, if you are not vaccinated, continue to wear your mask, studies show that it is at least as effective as the J&J vaccine at keeping *you* "safe". And if you are extra cautious, wear a mask while vaccinated (although, truthfully, the safest thing to do is to not be around other people, period). That's it. There is no more.

Last edited:
Yes I go solo a lot too and know this happens. But it’s the fact that right now we should be distancing and obviously most aren’t. Someone else had mentioned it seems people are doing ok in an outside queue but once it moved inside they bunch up. I noticed that too. Like it gets them on sooner???
Yeah, it's like they forget, I don't get it! I had the worst time on Splash, they got in there and distancing went out the window while they were perfectly fine outside. I get to where they ask how many are in the party, and while it should be obvious because of distancing the lady is like "there are too many people in your party, we'll have to split you in to two boats....how do you want to split up?" and I'm like "I don't know these people" and she laughed until she realized I wasn't actually joking and ushered me off to my own boat. I don't get why people want to stand so close to people they don't know, I have never understood that, and even after all this is over I'm still gonna keep asking people to back up because I'm over having people stand in my back pocket.

Also, my favorite way to get people to back up is to turn around and start talking to them like we're all together. Ask them where we're having lunch, what ride they want to go on next, what they thought of the last ride they went on......who the heck thought the Hades "ears" were a good idea anyway?!, what park are we hopping to later?, they usually look really confused and I'm like "we were getting so close here I thought you wanted to hang out?" and when they're like "nah....we're just in line....." I'm like "then maybe you need to stay back on yours....."

I'm scared of getting vaccinated. I have RA and shellfish allergies. As well as asthma. I've heard some horror stories from people after getting their second vaccine. I have an appointment Thursday so we shall see what they say...
I think you will do fine. We have volunteered at the mass COVID vaccination sites (over 1,000 per day sometimes) and saw two people that had a "reaction". Both cases turned out that they were anxious about being stuck with needles. Our job was in post-vaccination. That is where you have to wait 15 minutes after receiving your shot.

I'm scared of getting vaccinated. I have RA and shellfish allergies. As well as asthma. I've heard some horror stories from people after getting their second vaccine. I have an appointment Thursday so we shall see what they say...
At ours you let them know about allergies and they'll have you wait an extra 15 minutes just to make sure. They'll keep an eye on you, and they're medically trained personell so they'll know what to do. There is no need to be frightened, they'll take care of you.

I did that once in Target and it didn't end very well. In Frozen each time they moved with us I turned and looked, then looked down at the line. After about 4 lines is when I commented to my friend that weren't the lines supposed to be for social distancing. She responded back that she believed they were. The party behind us made no attempt to back up. It was just after that a CM came and asked how many in our party. We said 2, he took us onto the boat. The people behind us remained there. I wasn't rude in my comments, but just letting them know what the lines were for without talking to them. I have learned with this pandemic there are some people who do not like you asking them to move. It's better to basically shame them into doing it as opposed to getting into an argument
My guess is 95% of the time people just aren’t paying attention and aren’t intentionally encroaching into your space. if you ask someone behind you nicely to give you a little more space, most of the time they will apologize and comply.
“shaming” people by being passive aggressive most certainly is being rude.

Yeah, it's like they forget, I don't get it! I had the worst time on Splash, they got in there and distancing went out the window while they were perfectly fine outside. I get to where they ask how many are in the party, and while it should be obvious because of distancing the lady is like "there are too many people in your party, we'll have to split you in to two boats....how do you want to split up?" and I'm like "I don't know these people" and she laughed until she realized I wasn't actually joking and ushered me off to my own boat. I don't get why people want to stand so close to people they don't know, I have never understood that, and even after all this is over I'm still gonna keep asking people to back up because I'm over having people stand in my back pocket.

Also, my favorite way to get people to back up is to turn around and start talking to them like we're all together. Ask them where we're having lunch, what ride they want to go on next, what they thought of the last ride they went on......who the heck thought the Hades "ears" were a good idea anyway?!, what park are we hopping to later?, they usually look really confused and I'm like "we were getting so close here I thought you wanted to hang out?" and when they're like "nah....we're just in line....." I'm like "then maybe you need to stay back on yours....."

Nevermind, it was a DAS line. Hopefully everything gets the single rider lines back for our solo artist friends.

Last edited:
My guess is 95% of the time people just aren’t paying attention and aren’t intentionally encroaching into your space. if you ask someone behind you nicely to give you a little more space, most of the time they will apologize and comply.
“shaming” people by being passive aggressive most certainly is being rude.
I don't think you can use the not paying attention excuse at a place like Disney World right now where you are constantly reminded about spacing with announcements, signs and markings throughout the entire queue. Especially if it's happening the entire time you are in the queue, eventually someone that just wasn't paying attention would notice. This is not to say they are intentionally trying to invade your space or make someone uncomfortable, just that they don't care.

There are a lot of anti-mask, anti-distancing people out there that would love nothing more than to get in an argument or fight about it so I don't blame anyone for not saying anything directly to them.

Nice. I have to wonder about how many guests will automatically take their masks out and put them on when entering the lines, especially ones that start outside or outside with a cover of some type. While I'm all for this change I hope it won't be a headache for the CM's to enforce when guests enter the queues.

Guests call CMs all sorts of things when they tell them they can't enter through an exit, leave through an entrance, or go over/under a rope. There will be issues.

Simple solution, just make mask optional everywhere. Visitors
who have been vaccinated or immune to Covid should not be required to wear a mask anywhere on property just to appease the "have to wear a mask" crowd. If you are concerned about your well being of being around visitors that are not wearing a mask then wear your all important mask, stay away from them or stay home.
Yep just how ppl were told to stay home if they didn’t like the policy to wear a mask. Is it works the other way.

Reminds me of the Seinfeld movie theatre episode, "I gave him the half turn with the eye roll! Beyond that I'm risking a punch in the mouth" lol. Over Thanksgiving at our SeaWorld day, the two teenage girls behind me and my son kept following us so close, after a couple minutes I had to turn around and ask, "Do you girls plan on riding with us? Then back up."
That is a good one. I need to remember that. I should try humor because simply asking some really doesn't work

Can someone please clarify what part of a queue is required? Is all outdoor queue portions not mask required? Is it only when you get to an indoor portion?

Dan
For Toy Story Mania, it was only the actual queue. When the line was almost to the entrance, the CM said that your mask had to be on by the time you passed under the arch. So no masks in the extended queue outside Toy Story Land and leading up to the ride sign, but yes masks in both the outdoor and indoor sections of the actual queue. The queue was also still distanced the full 6 feet.

I'm both happy not be have to wear a mask when I go soon but I'm also concerned. Reduced distancing + no masks + more crowds means that more people who are not vaccinated and possibly ill will be in closer proximity to each other. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that I can walk outside without a mask and my DD21 will be happy that she'll be able to walk and Drink Around the World at Epcot, but it all happened in the space of a couple of days. I had hoped for a more gradual transition.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter