Masks no longer required outdoors at WDW

And, on the side of the coin, many ppl found themselves in the same predicament with losing points when wdw blind-sided them when they implemented the mask mandate last summer. Ppl who didn’t want to wear a mask in the parks in the heat had to make a difficult choice.
Except that Disney put in special Covid rules for cancellations that made it easier on people. They just put the original rules back in place less than 2 weeks ago. If I wanted to cancel my upcoming DVC trip, my points would now go into holding.

I think it's a bit different now compared to when they opened in the summer. There are children who cannot get a vaccine yet that will be exposed to those just refuse to get one not wearing a mask. There will be those under 2 who cannot wear a mask. In the summer, if you were going, you all had a mask on and those under 2 were semi protected. It wasn't like playing Russian Roulette standing by maskless guests. As slim as the chances are of a child getting a serious case, it still happens
Except numbers are down so ppl are less likely to even have it & the cdc has said no one needs masks outside now. I wonder if some of you who are so concerned live in areas where schools have been closed.

Except that Disney put in special Covid rules for cancellations that made it easier on people. They just put the original rules back in place less than 2 weeks ago. If I wanted to cancel my upcoming DVC trip, my points would now go into holding.
I don’t think they had special rules for DVC points. I know ppl who sold their points b/c they had to use them or lose them & they didn’t want to go with masks.

I'm both happy not be have to wear a mask when I go soon but I'm also concerned. Reduced distancing + no masks + more crowds means that more people who are not vaccinated and possibly ill will be in closer proximity to each other. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that I can walk outside without a mask and my DD21 will be happy that she'll be able to walk and Drink Around the World at Epcot, but it all happened in the space of a couple of days. I had hoped for a more gradual transition.
It should've already happened. I think they are playing catch up and expect things to continue to open up at a brisk pace.

I don’t think they had special rules for DVC points. I know ppl who sold their points b/c they had to use them or lose them & they didn’t want to go with masks.
They did. If you were within 31 days of your vacation you could cancel and not have your points go into holding. Now, they go into "holding" which means that you can only use your points within 60 days. If you borrowed points from the next use year and cancelled, those points were automatically returned the the next use year. Now, you are stuck with those points in the current use year. I believe that there were special circumstances where they also allowed people to bank points forward when they normally would not be able to, especially early in the pandemic when the resorts were closed.

They did. If you were within 31 days of your vacation you could cancel and not have your points go into holding. Now, they go into "holding" which means that you can only use your points within 60 days. If you borrowed points from the next use year and cancelled, those points were automatically returned the the next use year. Now, you are stuck with those points in the current use year. I believe that there were special circumstances where they also allowed people to bank points forward when they normally would not be able to, especially early in the pandemic when the resorts were closed.
Yes but points couldn’t be banked indefinitely. My cousin had to use her points by jan 2021 or lose them. So she had to decide to go & suck up masks or not go & lose points.

We have tentative plans in November and I know that's a while away. But I don't know when we will be comfortable enough to not wear masks even after vaccination. I had to be hospitalized because of Covid and have to wait on the vaccination. I know I'm being overly cautious but it was pretty traumatic.

I was happy to hear the news, but if I read the particulars right , I don't think it will have that much of an impact. Our time in the park recently was 90% in line or eating, both still require mask wearing

I am really surprised by the change of the mask mandate by the CDC and that Disney would decide to follow suit. People still were paying to visit even with a mask mandate so it wasn’t like they were losing money by having a mask mandate. I am surprised they decided so quickly and not give people a warning so that people could have time to change their holidays if they didn’t feel comfortable with the new policy.
I am curious to see what happens. I am in Europe and we are slowly lifting up some safety measures. The US is ahead with their vaccines but I think most safety measures will stay in place for a few more months.

Yes but points couldn’t be banked indefinitely. My cousin had to use her points by jan 2021 or lose them. So she had to decide to go & suck up masks or not go & lose points.

They did extend banked 2018 points expiring while they were closed, to 11/30. They couldn’t extend anymore, there would be a huge availability problem. People are complaining now that there’s very little availability the rest of this year. That’s because of points banked last year. That’s why they are limiting borrowing. Can’t have more points outstanding than they have rooms. Unfortunate that members lost points but there was no other option, they are bound by timeshare laws.

I am really surprised by the change of the mask mandate by the CDC and that Disney would decide to follow suit. People still were paying to visit even with a mask mandate so it wasn’t like they were losing money by having a mask mandate. I am surprised they decided so quickly and not give people a warning so that people could have time to change their holidays if they didn’t feel comfortable with the new policy.
I am curious to see what happens. I am in Europe and we are slowly lifting up some safety measures. The US is ahead with their vaccines but I think most safety measures will stay in place for a few more months.
Disney and most airlines have very liberal cancellation policy’s right now.

Just put a deposit down for January. And yes I’m under the plan of still being in a mask even with being fully vaccinated next week. It drives me bonkers when people just keep on inching up when you’re trying to maintain the space.

Having been in retail for most of my life, I don‘t trust everyone who says their vaccinated. Pretty sure from the CM point a lot of them are in the same mindset; it’s covering your own self.

They did extend banked 2018 points expiring while they were closed, to 11/30. They couldn’t extend anymore, there would be a huge availability problem. People are complaining now that there’s very little availability the rest of this year. That’s because of points banked last year. That’s why they are limiting borrowing. Can’t have more points outstanding than they have rooms. Unfortunate that members lost points but there was no other option, they are bound by timeshare laws.
Ok thank you. I wasn’t sure the specifics. But, my point was ppl who are complaining now about the new policy are upset that they have to chose between losing points or dealing with the policy. My point was that happened to plenty of ppl who didn’t want to wear a mask.

Last edited:
Disney and most airlines have very liberal cancellation policy’s right now.

They are starting to close. Disney is back to 30 days for cancellation, DVC reinstated the holding and borrowing return rules. Not sure about airlines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter