Masks no longer required outdoors at WDW

Are masks required for popcorn carts and Flower and Garden food kiosks?
Only for the prepackaged popcorn bags in merch shops. Who knows what diseases that terrible stuff carries?!

I'm pretty sure OUTSIDE means anything outside, so I doubt you'd need it there. The CMs have their masks and the big plastic shield in front of the register.

Disney has constantly said that it was implementing Covid policies based on CDC guidance, and guidance from local health authorities. CDC, Florida and Orange County have all lifted the mask mandate outdoors (for everybody). Therefore, Disney is doing exactly what they said they would do (and actually is being more cautious than the guidance indoors).

I’m not sure how Disney could create a policy that would align with the metrics and risk assessments that each attendee values. They quite simply are inconsistent. The situation also seems to change day-to-day. We’ve been told to trust the science, and when guidance seems inconsistent, to understand that conclusions change as we get more information. It seems that people who have particular expectations of what will be required during Covid should consider not planning something weeks or months out. The pandemic (and the reaction to it) is too unpredictable to allow rigid plans that far out.

As for me, the mask requirements can’t be totally gone soon enough. I’ll be in WDW in June, and am hoping that we continue to see a rapid return to normal.

Disney can't create a policy that matches what everyone wants, and I don't think anyone legitimately expects them to. People complained when they instituted mask requirements, too. And while I agree that things fluctuate quickly, when there have been several policies in place and unchanging for some 6 months now, the sudden removal of those policies without warning or intermediate steps is jarring. This isn't the first that CDC has said that vaccinated people can be outside without masks or that people in general can be outside without masks if they're distanced or in small groups, but Disney didn't make changes based on those policies. The idea that they would suddenly say no masks are needed for anyone outdoors - when that's not what the CDC said, really - and make that change at the same time they cut distance to basically 0 is unexpected and not something anyone could have predicted, let alone timed...especially since vaccination rates have slowed way down so it's not as though we reached a tipping point there this week, either.

(I also don't understand why people hate masks, but that's another issue entirely and not a fight I'm trying to start. Just in terms of things that colour my viewpoint. I also really enjoyed not having people right up against me in line when we went in December and am disappointed that space is going away - to each their own.)

Again, they can make whatever policies they want. That isn't my argument. But as the original question was "why would anyone be upset by this?", my response remains that the sudden change in multiple policies, from "several forms of protection" to "look how normal things feel!" without any intermediate steps or any warning to allow people to make the best decisions for their families, makes me uneasy. I would be really upset if I were on-property this week as everything changes, that's all.

Last edited:
Disney can't create a policy that matches what everyone wants, and I don't think anyone legitimately expects them to. People complained when they instituted mask requirements, too. And while I agree that things fluctuate quickly, when there have been several policies in place and unchanging for some 6 months now, the sudden removal of those policies without warning or intermediate steps is jarring. This isn't the first that CDC has said that vaccinated people can be outside without masks or that people in general can be outside without masks if they're distanced or in small groups, but Disney didn't make changes based on those policies. The idea that they would suddenly say no masks are needed for anyone outdoors - when that's not what the CDC said, really - and make that change at the same time they cut distance to basically 0 is unexpected and not something anyone could have expected, let alone timed...especially since vaccination rates have slowed way down so it's not as though we reached a tipping point there this week, either.

(I also don't understand why people hate masks, but that's another issue entirely and not a fight I'm trying to start. Just in terms of things that colour my viewpoint. I also really enjoyed not having people right up against me in line when we went in December and am disappointed that space is going away - to each their own.)

Again, they can make whatever policies they want. That isn't my argument. But as the original question was "why would anyone be upset by this?", my response remains that the sudden change in multiple policies, from "several forms of protection" to "look how normal things feel!" without any intermediate steps or any warning to allow people to make the best decisions for their families, makes me uneasy. I would be really upset if I were on-property this week as everything changes, that's all.
As we were all told in the beginning when ppl didn’t like current policies, it’s a very fluid situation & you (collective) have to prepare for that if you choose to travel during a pandemic.

Disney can't create a policy that matches what everyone wants, and I don't think anyone legitimately expects them to. People complained when they instituted mask requirements, too. And while I agree that things fluctuate quickly, when there have been several policies in place and unchanging for some 6 months now, the sudden removal of those policies without warning or intermediate steps is jarring. This isn't the first that CDC has said that vaccinated people can be outside without masks or that people in general can be outside without masks if they're distanced or in small groups, but Disney didn't make changes based on those policies. The idea that they would suddenly say no masks are needed for anyone outdoors - when that's not what the CDC said, really - and make that change at the same time they cut distance to basically 0 is unexpected and not something anyone could have expected, let alone timed...especially since vaccination rates have slowed way down so it's not as though we reached a tipping point there this week, either.

You’ve put this so, so well and somehow half the people who read it are going to come away thinking “this masker wants to take away my freedoms to be scared forever”when that’s not what anyone was saying.

And constant replies of ‘well don’t like it , don’t go’ and comparisons of ‘well we didn’t like the old policy so now it’s your sides turn to not like a policy’ are doing nothing for the conversation.

The very best part of all this eventually being over is we can just go back to arguing over stuff that matters - like re-themes of classic rides and the return of FP+. popcorn::

I am loving the positive news from the CDC and Disney! It really feels as though we are turning a corner. We are not quite there in Canada but hopefully will be soon. Now just open the border so we Disney loving Canadians can go "home". ❤
And I know we are ready to welcome you back! And I really hope Canada will soon welcome us back as well!

I agree... it seems crazy to change it overnight. They should have just said starting June 1st this will be the new policy so it gives people time to decide if they want to continue with their trip. People booked under the assumption of certain conditions and even though we have been told to be flexible at least give the people the opportunity who are already there or about to board the plane to Orlando to decide what is best for their families. Maybe people felt ok taking their under 12 kids when there was a mask mandate and maybe they don’t feel comfortable now. And that is ok but at least give them time to decide.

Personally, if we have already gone this long with mask then I would wait 2-3 months more and see what happens. Having things being open and being around people is what I miss. I can stand a few more months of masks.

I’m still shocked at the number of people who thought they should wear a mask outside!? I mean, you are OUTSIDE! Do you understand how insignificant your breath is in relation to the air all around you? Just stop and think for yourself for one minute. Fresh air is good! Breathing in CO2 expelled from your own lungs is not healthy. I’m so glad we are turning the corner on some of the most outlandish policies!

I’m still shocked at the number of people who thought they should wear a mask outside!? I mean, you are OUTSIDE! Do you understand how insignificant your breath is in relation to the air all around you? Just stop and think for yourself for one minute. Fresh air is good! Breathing in CO2 expelled from your own lungs is not healthy. I’m so glad we are turning the corner on some of the most outlandish policies!
True if you can keep a minimum distance between folks. But just imagine a group of kids playing on the playground and they are all on top of each other fighting for the slide and coughing and sneezing on each other. Fresh air can only do so much.

However..., walking around outside, your unvaccinated 10 year old will be exposed to many people (each potentially with Covid), whereas in a line to enter an attraction, you are exposed only to the people immediately around you (and in a much more controlled setting). I agree, though, that the length of time near the same people increases risk of transmission if those around you do have Covid.

Hopefully we can all take some comfort in knowing that an increasing amount of people are vaccinated, or have had Covid (and have antibodies). I also would think it is unlikely that somebody with a high viral load (with Covid) would be walking around in the parks especially as it gets hotter).
You do realize covid spreads by close contact for an extended amount of time. Passing random people outside for split seconds is very unlikely to spread covid. It literally says this on the CDC how it’s spread.

True if you can keep a minimum distance between folks. But just imagine a group of kids playing on the playground and they are all on top of each other fighting for the slide and coughing and sneezing on each other. Fresh air can only do so much.

And any of those kids is far more likely to die from the flu than from Covid - and even dying from the flu would be a rarity.

They should have just said starting June 1st this will be the new policy so it gives people time to decide if they want to continue with their trip. People booked under the assumption of certain conditions and even though we have been told to be flexible at least give the people the opportunity who are already there or about to board the plane to Orlando to decide what is best for their families.

This 100%. While I hope they keep masks indoor as a rule until after the fall, if they change that rule I hope they do so to give me enough time to cancel our October trip. This new rule will not cause me to cancel, but I do not want to ride the bus or stand in line for 40 minutes sandwiched between people who are not wearing masks until rates fall significantly more. Let's not forget that Disney has international tourists and many countries are still in the thick of the pandemic.

Yes...this exactly. The CDC guidance does NOT say that no one should be wearing a mask outside. The new guidance says FULLY VACCINATED people are very safe not to wear a mask outside in all situations, but unvaccinated people should still be wearing masks to be safe outdoors if they are at a small gathering with mixed company (some vaxed and some not). Unvaccinated people, even wearing a mask, are “least safe” if they “attend a crowded, outdoor event, like a live performance, parade, or sports event”, which is exactly what outdoors at WDW can be like, especially during shows, parade, fireworks, etc. Even just trying to walk from attraction to attraction I would call a “crowded outdoor event” during many times of the year.

Current CDC guidance for outdoor activities for vaccinated and unvaccinated people: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/participate-in-activities.html

So I also understand why people might not be happy with these current changes....they don’t actually follow the latest CDC guidance. I understand why Disney is doing it. I’m sure they’re getting a lot of pressure to do it, and no one enjoys wearing a mask outside in heat and humidity of a Florida summer, but they are being way more lax than the new CDC guidance. You can’t equate a small outdoor gathering with only fully vaccinated family and friends with visiting WDW at even the least crowded time of year, but that, or being outdoors with your only immediate household, are the only two outdoor scenarios the CDC is advising unvaxed people not wear masks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter