Is Toy Story Land underperforming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That to me is the biggest head shaking thing about TSL. Even Woody's Lunchbox not having shade for all tables. You'd think Disney world know by now that they're located in Florida. A kiddie area is not going to go over well with no shade. My kids are much less heat tolerant than I am. I might get in an uncovered line, but they will complain about it a lot. Doesn't have to be AC but at least covered with fans like Navi.

I am surprised that there wasn't the huge surge that Pandora had. A lot of people didn't see or didn't like Avatar. I think TS has a much bigger fan base so I would have expected more people to come out for a beloved franchise that's got new rides even though they are kiddie rides. I wouldn't expect it to have the staying power of Pandora because of the rides though. I have to think Disney is at least a little disappointed.

The lack of shade is real. We got in line during EMH on Sunday morning at 6:55. Overall wait was right at an hour. Half way through it everyone around us was lamenting the fact that it was so hot. I couldn't imagine doing that around 1.

it has a height restriction of 38", most toddlers aren't that tall :confused3
Both of my boys were 38 inches tall on their third birthdays. Maybe preschoolers? That make you happier? ;)

I was hoping that this part of the park would sponge up more people if only to keep them away from the parts of the park that I enjoy. It doesn't look like that is happening.

I was hoping that this part of the park would sponge up more people if only to keep them away from the parts of the park that I enjoy. It doesn't look like that is happening.
That's because there is more things for people to enjoy which draws more people to the park overall. Its only going to get worse as more opens at DHS.

That's because there is more things for people to enjoy which draws more people to the park overall. Its only going to get worse as more opens at DHS.
At some point, when the construction projects are complete in all of the parks, we will see some normalcy returned again with a more even distribution of guests in the 3 parks not named Magic Kingdom. Epcot and DHS have been so stripped for so long that they are shadows now. I really look forward to seeing what WDW looks like in 3-4 years.

I guess I find it funny that the perception of the lines at SDD are short.
As I write this, SDD is 80 minutes. Rockin Roller Coaster is 45 minutes, star tours 25 alien saucers 40, tower of terror 45, toy story mania 60
Expedition everest 40 minutes, flight of passage 120
7dmt 105, barnstormer 40, big thunder 40, peter pan 70, pirates 35, space 95 and splash 65

I think toy story land hasn't hit it's 'normal' yet. It still fluctuates a bit based on the day, and crowds/weather.

I don't think it's under performing, nor do I think it is over performing. I think it's right about where Disney thought it would be.

At some point, when the construction projects are complete in all of the parks, we will see some normalcy returned again with a more even distribution of guests in the 3 parks not named Magic Kingdom. Epcot and DHS have been so stripped for so long that they are shadows now. I really look forward to seeing what WDW looks like in 3-4 years.
I am not sure about that unless crowds don't increase and I don't see evidence of that. While there is a bit of a slow down right now come 2019-2022 crowds are destined to go up with Star Wars, Epcot attractions, Tron, and the 50th all being part of WDW.

Also in terms of construction, there is really never a period at WDW where there is no construction happening. Something is always coming.

As I write this, SDD is 80 minutes. Rockin Roller Coaster is 45 minutes, star tours 25 alien saucers 40, tower of terror 45, toy story mania 60
7dmt 105, barnstormer 40, big thunder 40, peter pan 70, pirates 35, space 95 and splash 65

I think toy story land hasn't hit it's 'normal' yet. It still fluctuates a bit based on the day, and crowds/weather.

I don't think it's under performing, nor do I think it is over performing. I think it's right about where Disney thought it would be.
That is probably true. Although it really depends when you look at it. I believe noon yesterday Star Tours and Slinky had very similar wait times. Like you said though there is a lot of fluctuation based on many factors which happens with any ride really (except for FoP lol).

i think that is probably fair - and maybe more a sign that the previous additions - Flight of Passage/Pandora and 7DMT were have been over-performing more than Toy Story Land is under-performing. I know MK is more crowded and all that but still unexpected to me that 7DMT would have a 25 minute longer wait that the new coaster aimed at similar audiences (and one that is arguably getting better reviews as a coaster/ride)

I am not sure about that unless crowds don't increase and I don't see evidence of that. While there is a bit of a slow down right now come 2019-2022 crowds are destined to go up with Star Wars, Epcot attractions, Tron, and the 50th all being part of WDW.

Also in terms of construction, there is really never a period at WDW where there is no construction happening. Something is always coming.
Even if crowds continue to increase, and that depends on the economy far more than anything happening at WDW, what we are seeing now amounts to a new gate opening at WDW. There are so many new attractions planned, and so many of them will be significant draws. That translates to shorter lines overall because a single guest can only be in one place at a time, and there will be far more attractions which are actually attractive than there are right now.

Right now WDW is at a very low period. Not nearly enough rides to handle the people in the parks. Epcot is a waste right now (relatively speaking). DHS is a half day park for most. Only MK and AK are operating at their capacity. When all 4 are operating at their capacity, I expect to see things look like they did 7-8 years ago. Sure, there will be long lines, but there will also be crowds evenly dispersed across all of the WDW parks. None of the parks will be half day parks anymore. Exciting stuff.

For my family, if we see 60 minutes plus, we re-think whether we really want to go on the attraction. Usually if it's something we've done....and we've done everything at WDW at this point (Excluding SSD and AS2) we shy away from 45 minutes plus. 60 minutes plus means we'll look to try it again in a few hours.

Disney doesn't "need" TSL to peform like Pandora. SWGE will do that. TSL is there simply to give people something else to do (aka distribute crowds) once SWGE opens. Just like Frozen was added to get young kids to Epcot, TSL is there to draw those families to DHS .. so now there won't be a skippable park. As someone who has gone with young kids, (4 or under) .. we've always skipped a park. (Usually Epcot - and our trips to DHS were half-days or less).

That was the problem with Pandora .. it is the ONLY new thing there so everyone flocks to it, creating those crazy crowds for a year plus now. If they had redone the awful area known as DinoLand, USA with an immersive area and two new rides, that would have helped balance out Pandora a bit.

i think that is probably fair - and maybe more a sign that the previous additions - Flight of Passage/Pandora and 7DMT were have been over-performing more than Toy Story Land is under-performing. I know MK is more crowded and all that but still unexpected to me that 7DMT would have a 25 minute longer wait that the new coaster aimed at similar audiences (and one that is arguably getting better reviews as a coaster/ride)

But, if you have a 6 year old who doesn't like shows, what is there for them to do once they're done riding SDD? They can ride TSMM or TSMM or there's also TSMM? I think therein lies the difference. I would think Slinky Dog and Jedi Training can only get you so far if your kids aren't old enough for Tower of Terror and RR. Who's going to pay $100 a head to only have 3 rides they can ride? A lot of people in that boat are probably still skipping that park completely.

And if you're a Tower of Terror/Rocking Rollercoaster kind of person, how long is Slinky Dog going to hold your interest?

Last edited:
But, if you have a 6 year old who doesn't like shows, what is there for them to do once they're done riding SDD? They can ride TSMM or TSMM or there's also TSMM? I think therein lies the difference. I would think Slinky Dog and Jedi Training can only get you so far if your kids aren't old enough for Tower of Terror and RR. Who's going to pay $100 a head to only have 3 rides they can ride? A lot of people in that boat are probably still skipping that park completely.

And if you're a Tower of Terror kind of person, how long is Slinky Dog going to hold your interest?
And Alien Swirling Saucers...

What about Star Tours? I am not sure what the requirements are on that one though...

And if you're a Tower of Terror/Rocking Rollercoaster kind of person, how long is Slinky Dog going to hold your interest?

Well, my current 6 year old, who was 4 at the time rode Tower of Terror ... didn't like it though

he loved Star Tours, rode that twice. At the time we went Great Movie Ride was open so did that too, and did ride TSMM a few times

He also did a number of character meets (Olaf, Mickey & Minnie, the Disney Jr characters, got a picture with a Stormtrooper, Chewie), etc. Only show we did was the Frozen Singalong (well, and the fireworks).

I guess some people are just into the rides, but I think there is a lot to take in at DHS - even things like Citizens of Hollywood, but obviously it isn't ride heavy

Who's going to pay $100 a head to only have 3 rides they can ride?
You could say that about any of the non-MK parks.

The fact remains that there is plenty to do in these parks to fill an entire day if this is your first or second time to the parks.

If you go every year? Yes .. none of the parks really have a lot to do because you've seen all the shows and done the "bad" rides and don't want to repeat them.

I am going to all four parks with my 6 year old in November. At DHS we will have a full day:
All three rides in TSL (with a fast pass) will probably take most of the morning . .maybe longer if we do a M&G or grab lunch at Woody's.
There will be this new Cars "show" at that time.
Then there is for my Star Wars fan (me and my son) . .Launch Bay, Star Tours, a show, the march .. spend some time building a droid in the gift shop.
My daughter will want to do Disney Junior and Little Mermaid maybe even Muppets.
Probably see the Indiana Jones Stunt show in the afternoon.. dinner at Sci-Fi drive in.
We probably won't go on RnRc or Tower of Terror unless I can convince my wife to go on one with me.
Heck .. we probably won't get all that done depending how the day flows.

That is easily a full day's .. for a family that has gone to DHS every trip since 2014.

I think there's definitely something to the idea that some people will purposely stay away from a brand new area or ride when it first opens. And the weather, of course, was certainly a deterrent.

80 minutes is the longest wait I have seen since TSL opening day including all of 4th of July week. Maybe SDD was down earlier today or July 4th week was much slower than normal.

You could say that about any of the non-MK parks.

The fact remains that there is plenty to do in these parks to fill an entire day if this is your first or second time to the parks.

If you go every year? Yes .. none of the parks really have a lot to do because you've seen all the shows and done the "bad" rides and don't want to repeat them.

I am going to all four parks with my 6 year old in November. At DHS we will have a full day:
All three rides in TSL (with a fast pass) will probably take most of the morning . .maybe longer if we do a M&G or grab lunch at Woody's.
There will be this new Cars "show" at that time.
Then there is for my Star Wars fan (me and my son) . .Launch Bay, Star Tours, a show, the march .. spend some time building a droid in the gift shop.
My daughter will want to do Disney Junior and Little Mermaid maybe even Muppets.
Probably see the Indiana Jones Stunt show in the afternoon.. dinner at Sci-Fi drive in.
We probably won't go on RnRc or Tower of Terror unless I can convince my wife to go on one with me.
Heck .. we probably won't get all that done depending how the day flows.

That is easily a full day's .. for a family that has gone to DHS every trip since 2014.

Were you able to make a full day of it pre-TSL or is Toy Story Land what put you over the top for making the day worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter