Is Toy Story Land underperforming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our granddaughter in law (27) was there with 2 friends and one of the gals little one (1yr) on 5th ..She said it was awesome...road the Aliens but Dash wait was tooo long....they were at POR..got upgraded to a Royal Room and said it was cloudy most of the 2 nites 3 days they were there and once a good down pour.....
they loved the resort/pool too..also ate at Boatwright's on the 4th...said it was great!!!

Our granddaughter in law (27) was there with 2 friends and one of the gals little one (1yr) on 5th ..She said it was awesome...road the Aliens but Dash wait was tooo long....they were at POR..got upgraded to a Royal Room and said it was cloudy most of the 2 nites 3 days they were there and once a good down pour.....
they loved the resort/pool too..also ate at Boatwright's on the 4th...said it was great!!!
There was a lot of extended rainy evenings/nights last week.

On the 5th it continued to drizzle after the heavier rain.. but It cleared a lot of guests out. We rode ToT 3x between 9:10 and 9:50 (there was 6 people in ththe standby line in front of us the 1st time) then headed to TSL, got in the Slinky standby line at 10:10, rode and was able to get back in at 10:31 :)

I didn't expect this to produce large lines. It is a toddler ride in an adult park.

Hollywood Studios is hardly an adult park. Frozen Sing A Long, Disney Jr., Beauty & The Beast, Little Mermaid, the character meet and greets, Minnie's Seasonal Dine, not to mention many, many children love Star Wars, so there's the fireworks, Launch Bay, the March, Star Tours etc... Are there many children's rides, no - but for that matter, there aren't many adult rides, either. Are there many children's attractions? Yes.

40", but I find height requirements and developmentally appropriate to be very different.

Yup, just ask my 8 year old, who is still only 45" tall, 43 lbs. Not necessarily at Disney, but at other places, she is constantly frustrated by not being allowed to do things she is very developmentally ready to do, just because she's not tall/heavy enough.

Hollywood Studios is hardly an adult park. Frozen Sing A Long, Disney Jr., Beauty & The Beast, Little Mermaid, the character meet and greets, Minnie's Seasonal Dine, not to mention many, many children love Star Wars, so there's the fireworks, Launch Bay, the March, Star Tours etc... Are there many children's rides, no - but for that matter, there aren't many adult rides, either. Are there many children's attractions? Yes.
We can agree to disagree. All of the kids in our extended family have hated DHS - their least favorite park by a lot.

We can agree to disagree. All of the kids in our extended family have hated DHS - their least favorite park by a lot.
I think the point is that just because your family doesn’t like it doesn’t mean that is what the majority thinks. Especially now DHS has things for the entire family to do. Is it a perfect park? Of course not. It still needs work.

40", but I find height requirements and developmentally appropriate to be very different.

YES. Height is completely about physical safety on a ride and Developmental aka age is about maturity.

Yup, just ask my 8 year old, who is still only 45" tall, 43 lbs. Not necessarily at Disney, but at other places, she is constantly frustrated by not being allowed to do things she is very developmentally ready to do, just because she's not tall/heavy enough.

But not being of the correct size is a pure safety issue and they have reasons for every ride. DD worked at Soarin' and often parents complained that it was "only a swing" "only a movie" "why can't they ride"? Soarin' is rated like a car with seat belts. In the event of an E-Stop those belts lock and the unit goes back so fast that a too short child could get hurt just like if they were in a seat belt instead of a booster. No amount of maturity changes the safety factor.

The maturity factor kicks in when letting a 7 year old enter an attraction or riding alone. It is the age at which Disney has determined they trust the child to use good judgement. Beyond that it is up to the parents to determine if their child is actually mature enough.

We love DHS, but we also enjoyed the original park when our kids were young. But I don't think you are alone, I think many families do not like DHS. Yes, there are things small kids are permitted to do but presently, until TSL, that pretty much was show after show ... not everyone is in to shows and not all kids are willing to spend hours traveling from one show to the next. Makes sense to me.

When my kids were young we still had GMR, lots of great parades full of Disney that kids love, lots of meet & greets including Power Rangers, Ninja Turtles, Backlot tour with explosions, Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground, GREAT fireworks shows ... too bad ToonTown never made it in. Hoping in time that the LM/Playhouse area is replaced, that ST/Backlot/Indiana is replaced and we give more life to the park.

But not being of the correct size is a pure safety issue and they have reasons for every ride. DD worked at Soarin' and often parents complained that it was "only a swing" "only a movie" "why can't they ride"? Soarin' is rated like a car with seat belts. In the event of an E-Stop those belts lock and the unit goes back so fast that a too short child could get hurt just like if they were in a seat belt instead of a booster. No amount of maturity changes the safety factor.

The maturity factor kicks in when letting a 7 year old enter an attraction or riding alone. It is the age at which Disney has determined they trust the child to use good judgement. Beyond that it is up to the parents to determine if their child is actually mature enough.

I'm not talking rides per se (hence why I said not Disney but obviously needed to be clearer), but other experiences etc... that she is both mentally and physically capable of doing, but they have arbitrary legal restrictions (horseback riding comes to mind) etc... Though we have encountered the odd ride that she most certainly would have fit in the safety harness despite it's 48" requirement. Or other activities that she could have done if they would have provided equiment small enough.

Last edited:

The park is currently in the midst of a massive transition, so it's pretty understandable to not like it much right now, but as MGM it was by far my favorite park as a child (and honestly it was basically until a couple years ago). It was always the first and last thing we did, and rarely didn't go every single day we were there.

It's my favorite park, but a lot of that is nostalgia.
The park opened when I was a teenager - I went to it sometime after it opened in 1989 or early 1990 (I was blessed my parents took us to Epcot and DHS within the same year after they opened . .not sure if it was intentional, but it was pretty cool).

As a 16-17 year old -- when you are just starting to explore movies on your .. go to movies on your own a -- a park devoted to the making of movies was magical to me. From the neon lit main street to a ride and show about two of my favorite IPs (Star Wars and Indiana Jones) .. I was in awe. Indiana Jones recently had a new movie and the last Star Wars move came out only 6 years prior. Both were fresh in my mind.
A dark ride taking you through movie scenes, there were cool "shows" about how that made movies, sounds, special effects. It was just incredible.
And this was before Tower of Terror, Rock n Roller coaster, TSMM, Fantasmic, etc. etc. etc.

It has changed a lot (probably more than any of the other parks), but I still love it and it is ONLY going to get better. This new direction, though, was needed a long time ago once movies practical effects began being replaced by digital effects.

When my kids were young we still had GMR, lots of great parades full of Disney that kids love, lots of meet & greets including Power Rangers, Ninja Turtles, Backlot tour with explosions, Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground, GREAT fireworks shows ... too bad ToonTown never made it in. Hoping in time that the LM/Playhouse area is replaced, that ST/Backlot/Indiana is replaced and we give more life to the park.

Honestly, I think Toontown could make a great replacement for the Animation Courtyard. t could flow well with Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway at the Chinese Theatre. They could throw in more character stuff, still have some shows and meet and greets for kids and add in a couple rides like Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin. (Would love to see this ride come to WDW as it's one of my favorites and has an amazing queue too.) This would add more rides but keep the overall feel of the area similar but be better themed to fit the new feel of the park. With the removal of the toon area at MK it wouldn't feel too similar anymore either.
This would also provide more family attractions that everyone can enjoy from young to old versus just young kids. Galaxy's Edge and potential expansions/rethemes of areas next to it like Indiana Jones can still provide the bigger thrills for teens and up as well.

Honestly, I think Toontown could make a great replacement for the Animation Courtyard. t could flow well with Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway at the Chinese Theatre. They could throw in more character stuff, still have some shows and meet and greets for kids and add in a couple rides like Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin. (Would love to see this ride come to WDW as it's one of my favorites and has an amazing queue too.) This would add more rides but keep the overall feel of the area similar but be better themed to fit the new feel of the park. With the removal of the toon area at MK it wouldn't feel too similar anymore either.
This would also provide more family attractions that everyone can enjoy from young to old versus just young kids. Galaxy's Edge and potential expansions/rethemes of areas next to it like Indiana Jones can still provide the bigger thrills for teens and up as well.

Not sure I would do the same type of toon town, but would love something animation focused and Roger Rabbit could fit really well and bring back the drawing classes and stuff like that

I don't think anyone called it a failure.

I think everyone is comparing it to Pandora and rightfully so. It hasn't remained the same demand initially as Pandora.

But isn’t the difference also that Pandora was Disney’s latest masterpiece of immersion and the next best-ride-ever ala Cars Land in DL and Harry Potter at Universal. Expectations were lowered, understandably, because it wouldn’t be the next Pandora (that’s gonna be Star Wars of course), so shouldn’t expeditions about the demand for the land also be lowered?

I’m sure there are a lot of factors involved in the lower than some expected attendance at TSL, but I will add that we’ve been many times in the last several years and by far, July has been, in our experience, the least crowded month of any (we have never been in January or August, though).

It will be interesting to see what this fall brings.

This is basically it. It's just NOT that crowded in July anymore. Period. We purposely booked our trip now because of that fact. We have been here since July 3. We had our first park day on July 5. By and large, the parks are not crowded at ALL. The longest wait we have had was about 30 min, and it was the FP line for Test Track (ride had been down for a couple hours earlier in the day).

Nothing is crowded. We did Typhoon Lagoon yesterday in the middle of the day (11-3pm) and never waited more than 10 min for anything. It was the same story at Blizzard Beach last Friday. No crowds at the pool either (Stormalong Bay).

I've seen MUCH worse crowds at Disneyland on a weekday in January.

It's nice. We will be back in July again for sure.

This is basically it. It's just NOT that crowded in July anymore. Period. We purposely booked our trip now because of that fact. We have been here since July 3. We had our first park day on July 5. By and large, the parks are not crowded at ALL. The longest wait we have had was about 30 min, and it was the FP line for Test Track (ride had been down for a couple hours earlier in the day).

Nothing is crowded. We did Typhoon Lagoon yesterday in the middle of the day (11-3pm) and never waited more than 10 min for anything. It was the same story at Blizzard Beach last Friday. No crowds at the pool either (Stormalong Bay).

I've seen MUCH worse crowds at Disneyland on a weekday in January.

It's nice. We will be back in July again for sure.
Right .. if given a choice, most people don't want to CHOOSE the heat and humidity.

Plus .. if THIS July is low as people wait for SWGE . .you'd imagine that next summer would be even worse so close to the opening of it.

I have my sister trying to choose between March (during the kids Spring Break (which is thankfully a few weeks before Easter) or June/July of next year. I am almost tempted to tell them July .. just prepare for the heat, humidity and daily afternoon thunderstorms. Coming from Wisconsin, I am not sure they realize how oppressive the heat becomes in July/August -- especially when standing outside, on concrete, with little shade or A/C ... in the middle of a swamp :).

Plus .. by July maybe the gondola system will be done and Runaway Railway will be open . .*shrug*

Right .. if given a choice, most people don't want to CHOOSE the heat and humidity.

Plus .. if THIS July is low as people wait for SWGE . .you'd imagine that next summer would be even worse so close to the opening of it.

I have my sister trying to choose between March (during the kids Spring Break (which is thankfully a few weeks before Easter) or June/July of next year. I am almost tempted to tell them July .. just prepare for the heat, humidity and daily afternoon thunderstorms. Coming from Wisconsin, I am not sure they realize how oppressive the heat becomes in July/August -- especially when standing outside, on concrete, with little shade or A/C ... in the middle of a swamp :).

Plus .. by July maybe the gondola system will be done and Runaway Railway will be open . .*shrug*

The heat is not THAT bad. And we haven't had an afternoon thunderstorm in 6 days and counting. The first half of our trip was a rainout almost every night. Since then, though, it's been dry. We sleep in, so water parks midday, and head to the theme parks after 5pm and stay until 10 or 11. Works great for us and it's usually nice and cool (mid 70s) at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!