• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

First time receiving transfer from another member

hmccarter

Mouseketeer
What does the process of transferring points to another member work? You do a conference call with member services? Do I pay the member for the points after the transfer is complete? How are they protected in that scenario? Is a contract needed?

Thank you for any tips!!

It is common for those doing a transfer to another member to require payment before the transfer is actually done for the obvious reason that once a transfer happens it cannot possibly be reversed, and thus the transferor cannot get the points back if the transferee fails to pay.

Doing a transfer for money mainly relies on the honor of both participants and many such transfers occur. One could draft a contract, and probably some have, but that may provide no protection to either party. DVD/DVC will not do anything to protect either party if any transfer agreement for money is breached, and it is highly likely that bringing a lawsuit if things go wrong that a court would provide no relief. That is because the POS documents expressly prohibit doing any transfer for money, and courts generally will just leave the parties as they are when an agreement to do an invalid act is at issue.

I have done several over 3 decades- some with the same person. Look at their account here to see how long and how active they are. We've done it with them transferring the money as we were on the phone with MS. I've also had an owner from Texas that was willing to transfer the money ahead of time - we've done several transfers together now but that was going way back.
Note: These were private individuals who needed the points for extended trips. They were not resellers or commercial entities.

What does the process of transferring points to another member work? You do a conference call with member services? Do I pay the member for the points after the transfer is complete? How are they protected in that scenario? Is a contract needed?

Thank you for any tips!!
I've always done them on a 3-way call, most cast members require it. You both need to give all of your information.

I've also done a few with the same member I met on the dis...there certainly needs to be a level of trust and I can tell you the first time I sent that 5k and hoped the person said ok transfer to the DVC rep i was a little sweaty. Lol but all was good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter