Is Toy Story Land underperforming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsbowl16

DIS Veteran
I wanted to get everyone's thoughts after the first full week of TSL. I have noticed how low the wait times have been for the three TSL attractions especially with it being 4th of July week. Each time I have checked this week other than opening day, there are multiples rides at other parks that have longer waits than SDD. Is this an indication that TSL isnt as popular as some of us thought it would be?

The attractions are aimed at smaller children. I’m not sure why anyone would think the wait times would be just as long as FOP or other popular attractions that appeal to more people.

I agree with you but I think SDMT and SDD are aimed at the same group yet SDMT still has longer wait times after being open for a few years vs a week for SDD.

Weather also hasn’t been too promising. A lot of times I’ve checked My Disney Experience everything has been down for rain that could be

That’s okay - just wait about 16 months and those wait times will shoot right up. We might be wistfully remembering when there were only 45-60 min waits while we’re biding our time to get into SW:GE.

But that’s really the answer, isn’t it? You need a baseline to determine how something is performing. TSL has been open a week. Too little time to establish a baseline on its own - and probably apples-to-oranges to start pulling comparisons in other parks. More importantly - TSL in part will serve as a counterbalance and overflow to SW:GE once it opens to provide DHS with more options for the hordes that will descend next year. Frankly, I’m glad to see it doesn’t have huge waits now since there’s then the promise it’ll do what it was intended to do in late 2019.

That’s okay - just wait about 16 months and those wait times will shoot right up. We might be wistfully remembering when there were only 45-60 min waits while we’re biding our time to get into SW:GE.

But that’s really the answer, isn’t it? You need a baseline to determine how something is performing. TSL has been open a week. Too little time to establish a baseline on its own - and probably apples-to-oranges to start pulling comparisons in other parks. More importantly - TSL in part will serve as a counterbalance and overflow to SW:GE once it opens to provide DHS with more options for the hordes that will descend next year. Frankly, I’m glad to see it doesn’t have huge waits now since there’s then the promise it’ll do what it was intended to do in late 2019.

I agree to a point but they also have the new Cars show and Mickey ride coming to DHS to help with the crowds so I dont think TSL will get much busier than it is now.

We haven't been yet, but from what I have seen of reviews, etc. people seem to find the land fun and the rides quite good - but not something you plan a vacation around and not something you need to do like 20 times

So there was the huge rush the first day and a lot of locals have done it and don't *need* to do it again. I also think the largely exposed queues sort of cap the wait time as people seem to not want to wait more than 45-60 mins in the sun like that

I am a bit surprised that they aren't a bit longer and also that 7DMT still seems to be keeping long lines (or at least longer than the new SDD)

Think it's a mix of factors as others have stated. The rides are geared more towards kids/families than all ages. Though are ones that everyone can enjoy still. Think SDD looks better and more fun than I was expecting. Also one of the two main rides is one that has been there for years, so its really just a new family coaster and a small flat. Also as stated the land looks great and is very detailed, but given what the theme is it doesn't have the same wow factor as something like New Fantasyland or especially Pandora.
TSL I think was meant to draw people in with it being more rides but overall it wasn't mean to be a major attractor but to pad out the park'
s line up and give it new rides and to get that mid-level of attractions too for older kids and families. The park overall so far had been mostly stuff for little kids and big thrill rides.

Agree 100%. Trying to compare TSL with 7DMT is hard. MK is by far a busier park daily and is a bigger draw for families with small children(about double the attendence). 7DMT is the marquee attraction at MK geared for kids.

We just got back today from Disney. We arrived last Sat. 6/30. There was a bad rain storm in the afternoon as soon as we got to Animal Kinngdom. We did go to the studios late night on Sun. July 1st and did Toy Story Mania because we had fast passes for the two new rides. There was a long line for Slinky and a smaller line for Aliens. It sure what the wait time was though

I don't think anyone called it a failure.

I think everyone is comparing it to Pandora and rightfully so. It hasn't remained the same demand initially as Pandora.
I agree everyone had an expectation that it would be similar to Pandora in their head. I disagree with the "rightfully so" part though. I don't see how any one could look at the plans for TSL and think it would have the same draw as Pandora.

At the end of the day it is a kiddie land, that isn't really infant/toddler friendly, with no shade or AC. I am surprised how quickly the wait times dropped off, but they are in line with what I was expecting after the new wore off.

I am still looking forward to it, and I think it'll be fun for my family, but I never got why people were hyping it so much.

I am shocked at how much the new rides seem to be cannibalizing TSMM waits, though. I have feeling if this continues AS may not stay a tier 1 long term (i.e. may change in months rather than when SW:GE opens).

I agree everyone had an expectation that it would be similar to Pandora in their head. I disagree with the "rightfully so" part though. I don't see how any one could look at the plans for TSL and think it would have the same draw as Pandora.

At the end of the day it is a kiddie land, that isn't really infant/toddler friendly, with no shade or AC. I am surprised how quickly the wait times dropped off, but they are in line with what I was expecting after the new wore off.

I am still looking forward to it, and I think it'll be fun for my family, but I never got why people were hyping it so much.

I am shocked at how much the new rides seem to be cannibalizing TSMM waits, though. I have feeling if this continues AS may not stay a tier 1 long term (i.e. may change in months rather than when SW:GE opens).
Oh I agree I didn’t have that expectation from concept art but Disney was selling it as Pandora/carsland level theming.

Oh I agree I didn’t have that expectation from concept art but Disney was selling it as Pandora/carsland level theming.
Of course they were, just like they also make it look like you can have Main Street all to yourself in their commercials. But I'm surprised how many people on here that saw the plans were expecting Pandora like crowds/theming. I personally don't think that if maintains the current crowd levels for the long term that it isn't a failure but par.

SDMT opened before the advent of FP+.

So you didn't know for sure that you had a fastpass until you got to the park.

I KNOW I have a FP+ for SDD. I won't be spending half my day on that line... not that I personally would choose to wait that long for any ride.

But people now have the option of choosing to go to DHS on a day when they can get a FP+, as opposed to showing up, and deciding that if they want the ride they need to spend the time on lines.

I don't think anyone called it a failure.

I think everyone is comparing it to Pandora and rightfully so. It hasn't remained the same demand initially as Pandora.

I wasn’t expecting Pandora level interest so I don’t even compare it to the waits for those rides

But is interesting that 7DMT is having a longer wait than SDD (now, maybe good reasons - capacity, just number of people in each park, etc) but you would think the latest, greatest version of something would carry a longer wait - at least for a while

Also that other rides within DHS have longer waits as well - might be due to change to tie ring levels or something else logical, but even taking Pandora out, waits appear a bit lower that I would have expected at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter