If global warming could be stopped and earth saved by ending the use of all forms of electricity, would you do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe in global warming, at least with regards to it being a human induced issue. There have been cyclical changes in climate throughout history. I don't believe humans can change climate outcome in any way.
Therefore, my answer is no.

It's definitely cyclical but we are speeding it up a bit. How much is the question?

Since I think the idea of “global warming” and “climate change” are interesting theoretical constructs that most people would greatly benefit from actually looking into (by analyzing opposing viewpoints from experts in the field rather than taking the word of political commentators or people with an agenda) my answer would be a firm “no”.
Well, climate change is not a theoretical construct. It is actually happening and that is not up for debate. The climate is always changing. What IS up for debate, however, is the extent to which man is contributing to climate change in a way that is accelerating it. To answer the OP's question you have to first believe that man's use of electricity is accelerating it.

I think that everyone should analyze viewpoints that don't align with their own. We collectively spend too much time in our own echo chambers.

Well, climate change is not a theoretical construct. It is actually happening and that is not up for debate. The climate is always changing. What IS up for debate, however, is the extent to which man is contributing to climate change in a way that is accelerating it. To answer the OP's question you have to first believe that man's use of electricity is accelerating it.

I think that everyone should analyze viewpoints that don't align with their own. We collectively spend too much time in our own echo chambers.
Ding ding ding! Winner winner chicken dinner. Just now you’re stuck debating whether or not you can use that stove/oven to cook the chicken … or should you start rubbing sticks together to start a fire! 🔥

I kid, I kid.

But that is a key piece we are missing in our current world. Quit tuning out others that don’t agree. Debates are a good thing if they are done respectfully. It’s a novel concept to some. 🤯

Ding ding ding! Winner winner chicken dinner. Just now you’re stuck debating whether or not you can use that stove/oven to cook the chicken … or should you start rubbing sticks together to start a fire! 🔥

I kid, I kid.

But that is a key piece we are missing in our current world. Quit tuning out others that don’t agree. Debates are a good thing if they are done respectfully. It’s a novel concept to some. 🤯
Tubing out misinformation is not the same thing as tuning out “alternate opinions.”

Those of us who are older remember when global warming (they called it that then) would destroy the earth in the 1960s. So we seasoned folk don’t get as alarmed as those who are hearing this rhetoric for the first time. We’re old enough to know weather comes in cycles for tens and sometimes hundreds of years.

if i remember correctly the workbooks we were given in elementary school on the subject were published by the same company that had done our previously issued 'duck and cover' workbooks.

Those of us who are older remember when global warming (they called it that then) would destroy the earth in the 1960s. So we seasoned folk don’t get as alarmed as those who are hearing this rhetoric for the first time. We’re old enough to know weather comes in cycles for tens and sometimes hundreds of years.

Well, I'm almost 55 and I don't remember the more dire calls that we hear today until the last 20 years or so and they've gotten worse. And rightfully so. Whether 50, 100 or 200 years from now, if we don't make significant changes to our CO2 emissions, we're making the planet increasingly more inhospitable for many species, including humans. We are actively contributing to the global temperature going up, more than any time since human beings have existed. Global temperatures have been warmer for sure....3 million years ago temps were 2-4 degrees higher than they are now, and we know that sea level fluctuated between 16-82 ft higher than it is now.

Weather is cyclical...and always has been....always will be. But the trends are certainly getting worse over the last twenty years. We break the record nearly every year for the "warmest year on record". We have longer heat waves, then rains that are causing "500 or 1,000 year floods" every few years or so. Again, I don't think this happens in my lifetime, but it's just so obvious that things are getting worse. And it's not like the world ends overnight for humans, it just won't be able to support as many of us in as many places. As always, the poorest will suffer the most.

Tubing out misinformation is not the same thing as tuning out “alternate opinions.”

I was speaking generally not just to this specific topic. However, "alternate opinions" may have some nuggets of useful information peppered in. If you brand everyone that sees an opposing side as misinformation you could potentially miss some facts. JMO

You likely won't agree, and that is fine. No sense going down this road ... the road of tuning out. Have a great night!

Question, how many ice ages have there been?
what ended them?

hint it was not man

It wasn't man that ended previous ice ages....but we're helping out considerably this time around. We're in an "interglacial period" now....so, still melting from the last ice age 12,000 years ago. We're speeding up the melting considerably, and our CO2 levels are the highest they've been over the last 800,000 years. We know this from ice core measurement/analysis. Again...it's not really a debate. Those are the facts, it's a matter of whether or not people think it's a big deal or not, and whether we need to changes in order to slow down the rise in global temps.

You are correct. I meant “climate change” in parentheses as a modern day construct that alludes to the idea that man is not only the only contributing factor to actual climate change(which is of course real as it has changed drastically over the course of time, way before humans were ever in the picture) but that we can or should alter a myriad of different things any of which may or may not be a factor in said climate change.

And yes that was my bigger point that you have to look at different view points because that is science. If you look at one idea and think that is the final answer then you are looking at it all wrong. You really need to look at the big picture and the cycles throughout time and not magnify one period because that can’t give you the total picture.

It’s actually very complex and I’ll admit it’s hard for a layperson to go through (I am a layperson in that field so it’s hard to comb through the vast amount of data that’s out there).

No.
Even left completely unchecked, the worst case scenario of global warming is better than returning to the dark ages.

Moving everyone inland by a few dozen miles would be a logistical nightmare but we’d have at least a few dozen years to get it done.

Giving up electricity is basically a death sentence for every sick person dependent on radiation therapy, imagining diagnostics, and every new medication not able to be developed. To say both about diabetics who depend on refrigerated insulin.

While those saying that ending the use of electricity would not stop global warming are correct, that's not the question. The question is IF that were true, would you be willing to make the sacrifice. It could be anything important that you give up really - it's a thought exsercise not a literal proposal. Would you be willing to radically alter your life in order to ensure the lives of subsequent generations? I'm betting that the answer is no for most people, as that is in fact exactly what humans have always done and likely always will do. We see the future as someone else's problem.

This is the correct answer.

Well, I'm almost 55 and I don't remember the more dire calls that we hear today until the last 20 years or so and they've gotten worse. And rightfully so. Whether 50, 100 or 200 years from now, if we don't make significant changes to our CO2 emissions, we're making the planet increasingly more inhospitable for many species, including humans. We are actively contributing to the global temperature going up, more than any time since human beings have existed. Global temperatures have been warmer for sure....3 million years ago temps were 2-4 degrees higher than they are now, and we know that sea level fluctuated between 16-82 ft higher than it is now.

Weather is cyclical...and always has been....always will be. But the trends are certainly getting worse over the last twenty years. We break the record nearly every year for the "warmest year on record". We have longer heat waves, then rains that are causing "500 or 1,000 year floods" every few years or so. Again, I don't think this happens in my lifetime, but it's just so obvious that things are getting worse. And it's not like the world ends overnight for humans, it just won't be able to support as many of us in as many places. As always, the poorest will suffer the most.
https://nypost.com/2021/11/12/50-years-of-predictions-that-the-climate-apocalypse-is-nigh/amp/

I remember all these dire predictions from 1970s that never have come true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter