If global warming could be stopped and earth saved by ending the use of all forms of electricity, would you do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cost to charge:
Thus far in August $32 for 1000 miles, July was $58 for 1600 miles, June was $69 for 1900 miles. A total over the last three months of 4500 miles for $159. Those same 4500 miles at 25 MPG would need 180 gallons. 180 x $3.50 = $630 for gas. In reality the gas costs would have been more since gas has was much more expensive than $3.50 in June and July. So lets say $159 electric vs $700 gas. A savings of about $180-$200 a month. Plus the maintenance cost savings. The maintenance is effectively tire rotations and cabin air filters for the first 100,000 to 200,000 miles. Much less than the maintenance for an ICE car.

Battery degradation:
EVs do not have such a short expected EOL. Auto makers warranty the battery for 8 years 100,000 miles. Car batteries degrade much more slowly than people think. Real world usage has shown about 10% degradation over the first 100,000 miles on average. The initial burst of degradation is most dramatic and then slow and linear after that. So at 200,000 miles it should at around 18% or so. Still plenty of life. Using my Mach e as an example it would take me about 13 years to reach 200000 miles and I would have about 257 miles of range on a full charge at that point.

End of EV life:
As more and more EVs do approach their end of life, businesses will crop up to tackle recycling. As with any new opportunity to make money, people will step up to make the money.

Battery fires:
A recent study conducted by AutoInsuranceEZ using data from the NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) showed that electric cars in the US caught fire at a rate of 25.1 per 100,000 sales compared to 1,530 for ICE vehicles and 3,475 for hybrids.

The fires when they do occur can be more problematic as they are difficult to extinguish but they occur 60x less often than ICE cars.
Yes! Two friends lost their homes in the past two years from fires caused by these batteries. They are blessed to be alive, but they lost everything. The fire Marshall said he sees it frequently. But I never hear that on the news?

Yes! Two friends lost their homes in the past two years from fires caused by these batteries. They are blessed to be alive, but they lost everything. The fire Marshall said he sees it frequently. But I never hear that on the news?
Because it does not happen that often.

You are much, much, much, more likely to have your home burn down because of your hybrid or gasoline powered car than by your EV.

I understand that if an EV is powered by a coal fired plant that there's no net gain, although you would be emitting less pollution in your immediate area. I was referring to the United States in the breakdown that I gave. I didn't know the breakdown for Canada, but just a quick google search reveals that Canada is in far better shape the U.S. A whopping 60% of your power comes from hydro, 16% from nuclear, 9% from natural gas, 8% from coal, 6% from other renewables...and 1% from petroleum.

And listen, I get it....China emits twice what the U.S does, they're building coal fired plants like crazy....etc, etc, but what should we do? Nothing? I guess this "all or nothing" mentality that I see sometimes frustrates me. And I'm not saying that is you at all. There have been lots of EV threads, and many posters will say that it doesn't work for them....and that's fine, there will be ICE cars for a long, long time....far beyond my lifetime. Yes, we obviously still need petroleum products....I just don't see the point in doing nothing if it works personally for an individual. Or mocking (not saying you), someone for getting an EV. I think that's juvenile and silly when in the U.S (and now I've learned Canada), less than 20% of our power generation comes from coal. And so in over 80% of the cases in our two countries, buying an EV is better for the environment.
:scratchin What should we do? Develop transport channels and support and facilitate China, India and the entire developing world to transition to LNG, instead of ridiculous schemes like cash carbon off-sets and crushing taxation on fossil-fuel sources for heating and transporation (where no viable alternatives exist), which are simply weird forms of dictating ideologies...but I digress... ;)

And to digress even further, the German Chancellor met with the Canadian Prime Minister this week to strongly urge development of an LNG supply-chain to Atlantic tide-water. This would allow Germany and many other European nations to get out from under their dependency on Russian supply. (They are currently looking at an energy crisis this winter.). :mad: But nope - curtailing fossil fuel production is our only "goal", regardless of how ridiculous and detrimental that is. We are instead apprarently promising them first dibs on Canadian-produced blue hydrogen, from a plant that won't actually exist for 4 years. Stay warm Europe...thoughts and prayers. :sad2:

Last edited:
Absolutely not, and I highly advise people to look into the sources of some of our non-fossil-fuel energy sources and see the damage they are doing to the environment. Google Lithium mining for one. Seems like lots of people used to be super concerned about various forests/deserts/rivers/lakes and indigenous people, but there’s never much said about all the destruction being done down in South America for the sake of electric vehicles which only the upper-middle-class can even afford…

:scratchin What should we do? Develop transport channels and support and facilitate China, India and the entire developing world to transition to LNG, instead of ridiculous schemes like cash carbon off-sets and crushing taxation on fossil-fuel sources for heating and transporation (where no viable alternatives exist), which are simply weird forms of dictating ideologies...but I digress... ;)

And to digress even further, the German Chancellor met with the Canadian Prime Minister this week to strongly urge development of an LNG supply-chain to Atlantic tide-water. This would allow Germany and many other European nations to get out from under their dependency on Russian supply. (They are currently looking at an energy crisis this winter.). :mad: But nope - curtailing fossil fuel production is our only "goal", regardless of how ridiculous and detrimental that is. We are instead apprarently promising them first dibs on Canadian-produced blue hydrogen, from a plant that won't actually exist for 4 years. Stay warm Europe...thoughts and prayers. :sad2:
Russia and China will never get behind the green new mess, but they are going to love watching the west implode because of it.

Agree...fossil fuels are in our future for the foreseeable future....way, way into our future. Agree...let's move to cleaner sources of fossil fuels. And also agree....Europe is in trouble.

Interesting new series from Bill Nye just premiered yesterday on Peacock…. Ijust watched the first episode about Hurricanes…
The End is NYE … it is getting good reviews .

I'm reminded of a video "George Carlin Saving the Planet" -- watch it on youtube it's really funny.

The loss of electricity would result in a loss of life on a scale I can’t even fathom. My kids and their kids would suffer greatly until we rediscovered and adapted to primitivism in a few generations. It’s a tough call, most of us here wouldn’t survive the first three weeks. I’m going to say no, purely for survival of my offspring.
It would be like our biggest fear an EMP attack. Yeah no thanks.

Because it does not happen that often.

You are much, much, much, more likely to have your home burn down because of your hybrid or gasoline powered car than by your EV.
Houses rarely burn down from any cause. My house burning down is pretty low on my list of things to worry about…in fact its not even on my list. Power outage in the middle of Summer that’s high on my list.… “knock on wood” for the next storm that rolls through.

Houses rarely burn down from any cause. My house burning down is pretty low on my list of things to worry about…in fact its not even on my list. Power outage in the middle of Summer that’s high on my list.… “knock on wood” for the next storm that rolls through.
My house was hit by lightening and caught fire. Can we ban lightening? What was amazing, we still had lights. Blew out tvs and computers but lights stayed on.

My house was hit by lightening and caught fire. Can we ban lightening? What was amazing, we still had lights. Blew out tvs and computers but lights stayed on.
Yikes that’s scary. Nope can’t ban lightening it fertilizes the plants.

I don't believe in global warming, at least with regards to it being a human induced issue. There have been cyclical changes in climate throughout history. I don't believe humans can change climate outcome in any way.
Yes, climate changes have been cyclical throughout history.

How do you explain the difference between walking on grass with bare feet on a hot, sunny day, and walking on pavement/asphalt on a hot, sunny day? The pavement/asphalt is CERTAINLY hotter than grass... and it's a man-made construct. Now add in all the paved sidewalks, roads, parking lots, all the roof tops, not to mention all the shade that's been taken out by buildings, homes, short tree-less lawns... I don't know how anyone can question whether humans have made an impact on the environment and climate.

Not picking on you personally... I just don't understand how people in general can deny that we've affected things?

My ICE car caught fire while I was driving it. I trust my EV MUCH more... and wouldn't consider going back to ICE.

Most of the car manufacturers have announced plans to end production of gas powered cars by 2030. Washington State just announced that dealers will no longer be able to sell gas powered cars by 2035, although they are expect to end sales far before then. EVs are upto 12% of new vehicle registrations and doubling every couple of years. Gas stations in Seattle are already starting to close. Although that has more to do with developers coming in an offering them $40m an acre for their property. There is no way that making a $1 gallon profit off of gas is going to pencil out for them so they sell.
This why the US will break up and they may not be a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter