If global warming could be stopped and earth saved by ending the use of all forms of electricity, would you do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's pause a moment. I have to love how everyone's favorite innocent soccer fan, Buzz Rules, always finds a way to create a thread that precariously grazes a topic that easily gets a thread locked.

Remember the thread about the Afterlife? "No religious discussions intended!"
I think there was one about ghosts too...

My prediction: This thread gets shut down by the end of the day today.

But while it's open...I'm curious about the connection between electricity and global warming. It's not electricity that is accelerating global warming, it's the processes we use to create electricity that are. If we could generate electricity in ways that do not produce excessive amounts of carbon, then electricity wouldn't be a factor in climate change.

Also, to get meta about this, we are all considering this using electricity.

"ALL forms of electricity"? That means even the electrical activity in our own bodies?
So basically, Buzz wants to kill everyone to save the Earth??
Anything that is generated by an unclean/non green energy source. It was a simple yes or no question.

The question is IF that were true, would you be willing to make the sacrifice

purely from this perspective, based on where i currently live, choosing to say 'yes' would result in a rather rapid death sentence for our household so my answer would have to be 'no'. i live in a rural area where i was fascinated with reading the land documents dating back to the early 1800's that were included with our title paperwork when we purchased our home. it is clear that the reason thousands of acres that for over a century was owned by a single family and their descendants were never developed into either farming or housing (save a single original family home) is because of water access. wells have to be dug deep to access water in our area and because of cold winter weather are prone to freezing near the surface access. it wasn't until 1937 that a consumer owned electric cooperative began to bring electricity to our region such that wells with powered well pumps and plumbed to homes was feasible. it wasn't until the 1980's that the system was established enough for subdividing and development of housing (10 or more acres minimum). advances in solar power have not been such to override our lack of sun for the majority of the year. new to the region people spend exorbitant amounts only to find that for even with the newest/best systems they have to rely on the power company at least 8 months out of the year to access water/ensure pipes don't freeze and explode.

without water we cannot live, where we live-at this point/without electricity we have no water.

But while it's open...I'm curious about the connection between electricity and global warming. It's not electricity that is accelerating global warming, it's the processes we use to create electricity that are. If we could generate electricity in ways that do not produce excessive amounts of carbon, then electricity wouldn't be a factor in climate change.

Also, to get meta about this, we are all considering this using electricity.
This was basically what I was trying to ask.

Let's pause a moment. I have to love how everyone's favorite innocent soccer fan, Buzz Rules, always finds a way to create a thread that precariously grazes a topic that easily gets a thread locked.

Remember the thread about the Afterlife? "No religious discussions intended!"
I think there was one about ghosts too...
🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️ You can ask a grey area question with only yes or no responses. Anyway, I’m off to kick a soccer ball. ⚽

Grid-tied/provided electricity from coal/gas sources? Sure. I'd do my best to do without it.

I'd also look into installing a turbine and solar so I could produce my own green electricity to live the life I'm used to.

Let's be direct. I think it's important we all have the capacitance to remain grounded in the face of resistance. Alternating ideas are going to occur in this type of current, which can switch at any moment.

Since I think the idea of “global warming” and “climate change” are interesting theoretical constructs that most people would greatly benefit from actually looking into (by analyzing opposing viewpoints from experts in the field rather than taking the word of political commentators or people with an agenda) my answer would be a firm “no”.

"ALL forms of electricity"? That means even the electrical activity in our own bodies?
So basically, Buzz wants to kill everyone to save the Earth??
Ya… I was thinking the same thing. Science is hard for a lot of people. But school’s back in session, and we can all access Wikipedia until it’s outlawed.

🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️ You can ask a grey area question with only yes or no responses. Anyway, I’m off to kick a soccer ball. ⚽
:rolleyes1 Of course you can, but claiming to expect the responses to be limited in that way is disingenuous.

No, not all forms of electricity. I can’t see the world giving up all of the tech innovations that make our lives better, especially in medicine. However, I am quite open to making less harmful sources of electricity more mainstream than they currently are. I wish people were more motivated to find cleaner sources of energy.

Those of us who are older remember when global warming (they called it that then) would destroy the earth in the 1960s. So we seasoned folk don’t get as alarmed as those who are hearing this rhetoric for the first time. We’re old enough to know weather comes in cycles for tens and sometimes hundreds of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter