Friends Think Disney Too Childish

::MickeyMo I used to get kidded all the time about going to disney again:tongue: But now I am asked alot about what's new there? : where to stay? Almost like a personal tour guide for them..Heck they get free travel advice and I'm always happy to talk about "MY favourite place on Earth" I wished a :space: ship would beam me aboard and take me away there..

Yes. SO many people think I'm a freak.

I did trick my SIL, the most vocal Disney downer I know, into going with us next month. I offered them our timeshare resort free for a week and then talked up MVMCP. She fell for it hook line and sinker. Now I cannot WAIT to see her face when we're at the MK and I can say "na na na na na, you're at Disney World!" :tongue:

I know she'll love it. The first and last time they went was spring break 8 years ago. They waited in 90 minute lines and had a terrible time.
I'm going to show them how to have fun in Disney. She'll be begging me to take her again, I just know it. :)

I can relate, though I'm lucky enough to have several friends who are also adult Disney lovers. :teeth:

DW and I have been Disney people all our lives. We took our children to WDW as often as possible and now that we live in Florida, we take our grandchildren there often. However, between all the family trips, we still make time for ourselves. We made two get away trips in the spring. We were at MKand MGM two weeks ago and we are going to Epcot and AK this weekend.

Like most of you, we have friends and relatives who just don't get it. I especially feel sorry for married couples who don't both love Disney. It can make life difficult. After all these years we both still feel the magic.

All the time. Usually, the comments come from people who have never even been there, too. :rolleyes: My friends all like "the beach".

Oh well. Personally, I think going to an island and sitting on a beach for a week sounds positively dreadful.

Esmerelda X -- I said the same thing in an earlier post & I am DELIGHTED to hear you agree. I mean -- the BEACH? I can sit & read a book anywhere. I wouldn't object to a half-day at Waikiki or some place similar, but for a WHOLE vacation? And, yeah, you're right about it usually being the people who have never been there who roll their eyes. I have a few coworkers who say, "It's never tempted me," but don't judge me for my choice -- & that's okay! It's what I say to them about the beach, regardless of what I say to everyone here. ;) But, that's very different from putting down my choice.

Beaches Disney's got beaches and when a get tired of Beaches there is plenty things to do just minutes away!! Beaches one minute Paris & Canada (Epcot) the next!!! I'll take Disney anyday : )

lc1965 - I know!

I mean, I could probably do a day or two on a beach, but after that I would get sooo bored. Plus I sunburn horribly and so there's that too. I live near the Atlantic Ocean. If I really want to go to a beach, I can go to one here!

I just don't get it. Disney has a little bit of everything. I can't imagine ever not loving it. :)

I can relate!! We live right next to Sixflags over Texas and have season passes and we hardly ever go.. Recently when I talked about going back to Disneyworld I was told it was just another park!! Its not like SixFlags at all.. Its hard to get others to understand the feeling of needing to go to DW..

I can relate too. My DH doesn't like or get Disney. He calls it "that baby business." We had a fight over it once and I said that he should be happy that I was into Disney, afterall, there are worse things I could want to do. I could be into hanging out at bars or gambling or drinking. But no, my interests don't hurt anyone else (except maybe my wallet)!

As far as others making comments about my going back to Disney, I feel it's really none of thier business what I like or where I want to spend my vacation that I paid for and that I worked hard to earn.

I'm lucky, though, that I have sucessfully converted my DSS into a Disney lover too! :earsboy:

I get teased at work that Mickey is my boyfriend. I don't mind. Cause I :love: him!!!! I know people at work think I go cause of my D. But I'd go w/out having her. I went before I had her too. She is a Disney nut too. So yes, I am raising her right. :earboy2: The only ones who say anything is my ex in laws. esp. the fil. Every time I go he complains. It's too far away, haven't you done everything already, What is there to do for 5 days??? And so on. Like 5 days is ever enough. :sad2:

I wanna live at Disney.

I hear some of that. I really couldn't care less whether anyone else approves of my vacation destinations or not.

I treated my sister to WDW for her high school graduation this summer, and now we're going back. Of the two, I'm the crazy fan :D While my friends never make snide comments about it, I do get long pauses in the conversation. I never thought I'd be flirting with 30 and still as excited about WDW as I was when I was 10. I still pause before I mention going back, but I'm learning to be unapologetic about it. I figure I work damn hard, and I've chosen to laugh, be goofy, and enjoy myself through this life...what could be wrong with that? :D

Hello ~

I am surrounded by other Disney fans and it's awesome!!! I'm sorry other people are missing out on the magic of Disney...but it's their loss!

Any adult who turns up their nose at WDW has obviously never been to the Food and Wine Festival. Or seen Arturo Sandoval playing Jazz at Pleasure Island, while smoking a good cigar and sipping a cocktail. Or had dinner at the California Grill. Or watched them feed the tigers at the Animal Kingdom. I could go on, of course, but honestly- people don't know what they're missing! Which is fine with me- more room for the rest of us!

I agree with everyone. I LOVE WDW, there is no better place to be.

Why would you always want to go to those all inclusive results and just end up sitting around! I would get sooooo bored.

At Disney there is always something going on. You can do something or you could just sit around and be.

The people that I know are used to my obsession and just roll their eyes and say that I must have the most understanding husband in the world. What they don't understand is that I have converted him too!

kalel777 said:
Hi all

Was wondering if anyone else has to deal with constant criticisms from friends, family, or acquaintances who just dont seem to get the magic of Disney. I went to Disney World with my ex-girlfriend in Novemeber of 2003 and had the best time ever!!!! Im already planning on going back again and want to really spoil myself with the deluxe treatment!!!

Im 35 & have only been to Disney World a handful of times, but everytime I go, it brings me back to the magic I felt when I first went in 1973 when I was 4 years old.

Im just tired of people shaking their heads or giving me a funny look or smirk whenever I say I cant wait to go back to Disney World.

Can anyone else relate?

Did get this a bit myself. Had a friend that would always call it a tourest trap etc....but he and his wife rather spend 7 days doing nothing on the beach (not for me). I mean I can do that on the beaches here at home for alot less.

And when I brought my wife to Disney on our honeymoon, some of her friends couldn't understand why I was bringing here there and not to some tropical island. Their loss not mine! :)

I think alot of it is done out of jealousy. You know, if they can't do it then it must not be fun. But who cares, that one less crab apple we have to deal with within the parks!

I definitely have heard this all before :P. I've even attempted to take people with me and a lot of times they haven't really gotten into it :(. Then people started to think I was really nuts when I started going alone a couple years ago. But I tell them I rather go by myself for the most part since then I can do everything I want to do and don't have to worry about someone complaining about xyz. All I know is that the worst trip to a disney park I had was with a couple. Yes they were my best friends, but being there solo with a couple is torture for me. They just held each other and made out the whole time (they were 21 at the time) and then went off on rides together while I waited for them. I was miserable and after spending some time alone while they wanted to go on IASW yet again, I realized it wasn't so bad to be there alone. It just makes waiting in line or eating a little lonely, but I usually manage to find people to talk to.

I've told every boyfriend I've had that I intend to either get married at WDW and/or at least have my honeymoon there! Most guys think my Disney obsession is adorable luckily. I'm about to get my MBA so I can even work for Disney one day :). For now I'm quite alright if people don't want to love WDW cus that means less people in the parks when I go ;). As long as they don't stand in my way from going, they can think what they want :).

The whole concept of someone's inner child "growing up" as clr's spouse said is rediculous. Our understanding of joy is something we learned as a child, and we should never forget it. I have the same problem with my DW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter