Friends Think Disney Too Childish

kalel777

Earning My Ears
Hi all

Was wondering if anyone else has to deal with constant criticisms from friends, family, or acquaintances who just dont seem to get the magic of Disney. I went to Disney World with my ex-girlfriend in Novemeber of 2003 and had the best time ever!!!! Im already planning on going back again and want to really spoil myself with the deluxe treatment!!!

Im 35 & have only been to Disney World a handful of times, but everytime I go, it brings me back to the magic I felt when I first went in 1973 when I was 4 years old.

Im just tired of people shaking their heads or giving me a funny look or smirk whenever I say I cant wait to go back to Disney World.

Can anyone else relate?

all the time... :)

I've been going to WDW at least once a year for the past 5 years.
People I work with shake their heads constantly and ask me why... I tell them to go there themselves and let me know when they come back.

Just ignore them and have fun!!

It's not like you're asking them for $... hehe...

I can relate - most of the people who question my obsession have never been themselves and just do not understand the power of happiness at Disney.
Jo

I can totally relate. DH and I are in our early 30s and have no children. People that don't know us well cannot believe that WDW is one of our destinations of choice. "Why go to a kiddie place?" I feel kind of sorry for those people, they just don't "get it".

I can relate! My friends don't understand how I can go to Disneyland for Halloween, Disney World for Thanksgiving/early December and then back to Disneyland for New Years!

They keep asking..."Don't you want to vacation anywhere else?" of course the reply is 'sure, I want to go to Tokyo Disney, I just can't handle being on a plane that long!'.

I'm 40 and still have that Disney Magic inside me.

Diane

lol That's funny. Everyone I talk to grins very wide when I tell them I'm going to Disney for my honeymoon and says they wish they could come to (fiance's parents tried to convince us to let them come along for the honeymoon because they'd love to go lol. Ummm NO!!!).

In the last 6 months I've been planning this, I've had only one person say they don't like Disney and that was "It's just another theme park."

Really its no big deal. It's their perogative but also their loss if they don't try it out.

I have the SAME thing. I'm 30 and my friends are more into going to Mexico, which is NOT my choice. I absolutely LOVE Disney!!! When I was at Disney in '01 solo I had SUCH an amazing time. My friends thought it was sooooo kiddie. They kept saying "Why would I wanna be around all those screaming kids just to ride some dumb teacups." It's funny because I was geeked to go, but then I was a little apprehensive about "fitting in" and such. One trip down Splash Mountain and I was singing Zippedy Do Da the rest of the day.

You know the magic hits when...

You're an adult and seriously consider buying a hat with goofy ears. You secretly think this would look good as office attire.

LOL...

We get it all the time from friends. When they ask me, "Why keep going to Disney? Isn't it always the same??" I say, "Of course not! How can YOU always go to the Jersey shore year after year, weekend after weekend? There's a lot more going on at Disney than you can EVER imagine! Plus, you don;t get sand in your shorts!"

My husband doesn't understand. He said our wedding vows should have included that I grow up. I always tell him that he doesn't want me to grow up, you wouldn't like me if I were grown up. Most of the grownup grown-ups I know are boring.

I can not get him to go to WDW, I know he would love it if he ever did. He has to have an inner child in there somewhere. Doesn't he?? :confused:

clr - any chance that he will ever attend a business meeting in Orlando?

that is generally all it takes.

I use to get kidded alot - but that was before I brought DVC - most people understand that you go back to your timeshare each and every year.....Of course they don't understand timeshares exchanges and I am not going to educate them!

Have your friends ever been? It's magical, that's what makes it so special. I've only been once as an adult and I am planning on going back with my daughter and hopefully a younger cousin in 2005. I think I am more exicited than they are. Only, if your friends knew what they were missing.

No chance of a business meeting.

His brother wants to take his boys in the next couple of years, I'm thinking (hoping, wishing, praying) that he will go then. That will be my only chance. As it is now I have to wait for my sister and her family to go before I get to go. Oh well, that's better than never.

I can relate as well. Where I work, everyone prides themselves on being "hip," and to them, Disney is the exact opposite of hip. They head straight for NYC or Europe--when they vacation at all, which is a rarity, as they not only pride themselves on being hip, but on being indispensable to the company. Oh well, I'm more than happy to carry the unhip banner and travel to the World or on DCL whenever possible--I work to live, not the other way around!

My parents don't get the concept of WDW. My step dad has been to DL once and thinks that alone is enough. My mom doesn't think it's that big of a deal...if we win a trip to WDW she would go but she wouldn't go or even if I paid for her trip...she wouldn't go. Though, my in-laws are another story...my MIL is a huge Disney freak.

I can totally relate. No one around me "gets it". I have tried to explain the magic I feel when I go but they still say the same ol song and dance "it's disney world, its kid like, its too expensive, its another theme park" blah blah blah.....This is the 3rd time I have gotten my boyfriend to go but trust me he really doesn't want to. The first year I got him to go I swore that when he got back he would have fallen in love with it just like me...WRONG! the 2nd time we went with his best friend, thinking now..ok now he will love it cuz his best friend is there....WRONG.....now we leave to go again in 2 days and the only reason he is going is b/c I only got 1 weeks vacation this year when he has 5 so he is going where I want to go. Unfortunately he doesn't feel the magic at all and this will be a problem if we get married ::yes::

Oh my goodness. I can totally relate. We are considering going to disney for our 10 year anniversary soon and we are considering going to WDW. I can already see the childish remarks from people. Like disney isn't romantic, why there? You've been before, blah, blah, blah! I just look at it as envy! So I totally understand what your feeling!!!

I can relate. I have coworkers who love it and I have coworkers who think its childish. I have family members who don't understand as well. People act like I don't go anywhere else (let's see I have managed to take 5 cruises in the past 6 years with 3 of them being 10 day cruises and have been to Mexico, Alaska, Canada, Costa Rica, Honduras, Aruba and numerous other island but I guess this doesn't count) not to mention a few days in the world the last 2 years and a beach vacation in a condo last year as well not to mention working out of our Texas office a few weeks here and there. Short term memories. When people say "your going to Disney again" I say yep and head off on my own direction. I know that I don't have to think or do a lot of research for a disney vacation. I know what I'm getting, how to get around and best of all, the feeling I get when happy and I forget about all of those critics around me. The only choices I have to decide on is what I can afford, length of ticket and if I want to make PS.

My wife cant get why i love disney and WDW so much.... but its everything... the sights... the sounds... the attention to detail... I love walking around and just listening to how the music changes.... or the little touches most people wont even spot...

Also like alot of people on here... it allows us to forget all our normal daily worries and stress and feel like a kid... when anything was possible... and there is nothing wrong with that

also when i have been stressed with work and life... a trip to disney just calms me down and I love being in epcot... do you think they would let me live there?

My friends and coworkers are the same way. They ask me how I can go to Disney so many times etc.....until I offer to take them with me and then they love it lol! I went in Jan and I wanted to go in Nov. and mentioned that to them. Their first repsonse was "You're going to Disney again ?" Until I asked them if they would like to come with me. Wow their attitude changed quickly! They were looking at guidebooks and websites in a second!! So now when peoplesay things like that I just laugh!

Didn't Picasso say that it had taken all of his life to learn to paint like a child? Maybe they all need to learn to have fun like a child.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter