Friends Think Disney Too Childish

Hi

DH and I have been married for 11 years (no kids) and have been to Disney 10 times together! We had moved from Canada and lived in the Middle East for 2 years, and we have travelled extensively through Africa, Europe, Middle East and Carribbean...and Disney is still our favorite vacation destination!

I thought after our many adventures to exotic locales we wouldn't want to return to Disney, but the fever returns every year, sometimes every 6 months!

I have also converted several co-workers who now are Disney fanatics!

I have given up on my parents as they just don't get it.

Inga

Yeah, I get that all of the time. I just smile and say to each his own. They have their ways of having fun and I have mine. :earseek:

My friends think I'm crazy becuase I love Disney sooo much! Plus now that I have a second trip booked within 3 months of my last trip and I'm thinking about a Septmeber trip I'm even mor crazy (apparently visiting Disney more than once a lifetime is un-heard of amongst my co-workers!). I made one of my good friends listen to Wishes in the car the other night and then I showed her photos of it she was not impressed (granted she has never been to any Disney Parks!). At work one day I was laughing to myself and kind of smiling and my co-worker is like what is up...so I told her that there was a smell in the back that reminded me of WDW...she just about died and was like so now you can smell WDW from here?!?! It was funny, but I always get so giddy and excited about a trip and no one can really understand it. I have one friend who loves Disney as much as me, but she is flat broke and won't be going for a couple years more she tells me. SO I guess until then I will have to convince new people to try the magic or go it alone either way is fine with me as long as I make it there :) Thanks for letting me vent :cool1:

I TOTALLY understand. I too get the "fever" every six months. I am such a freak that I get teary eyed on the Disneyworld website, these boards, watching the video, and numerous other times. I am such a fan that I made my husband get married there last May!
We are planning a trip to celebrate our 1 year anniversary(isn't that perfect, now I have an excuse every year to go back!) and I am nervous to tell our friends. They are going to flip out that we are going back again! I almost hate telling everyone, and when we say we are going to Florida, they will say, "Where in Florida?" and then they figure it out. They call me a "disdork." They just don't understand, but I guess that's good, because then there will be less people in the parks for the TRUE Disney fans!

DW (47) and I (54) went for the first time in '79 before we had children. The kids haven't interested in vacation with parents for several years but we still go at least once a year. 34 trips at 1021 miles each way is more like a pilgrimage but we wouldn't miss it. I think people see WDW as if every trip is made in July with kids screaming. They don't realize that the Drink Around the World tour is fun and there is excellent dining I also find it funny that they freak-out when they hear that you still ride the rides. Last I checked riding Space Mountain might speed up the heart rate a little but it really isn't exactly manual labor. I've decided I'm too old to drive down I-75 but I'll never be too old to walk down Main Street. We're looking forward to the day when we are grandparents and can experience the joy of a little one's first trip to the Castle.

Everyone besides my sister think that my husband and I are nuts....
We Love WDW and when we visit it's like going home again....it's great and beyond words to descibe the feeling I get when I am there...I've discovered the ones who think we're crazy have never experienced the magic, I keep on telling them once they do they will totally get it...

Ever since my maiden trip as a High School senior in 1979 ,I fell head over heels in love with Disney! You never forget your first time and that same feeling is what I get every trip back!Igo twice a year and have become a dang good embassador Disney. If these people cant see the "Real Magic" I feel sorry for them. That's my story and Sticking to it!!! : )

kalel777 said:
Hi all

Was wondering if anyone else has to deal with constant criticisms from friends, family, or acquaintances who just dont seem to get the magic of Disney. I went to Disney World with my ex-girlfriend in Novemeber of 2003 and had the best time ever!!!! Im already planning on going back again and want to really spoil myself with the deluxe treatment!!!

Im 35 & have only been to Disney World a handful of times, but everytime I go, it brings me back to the magic I felt when I first went in 1973 when I was 4 years old.

Im just tired of people shaking their heads or giving me a funny look or smirk whenever I say I cant wait to go back to Disney World.

Can anyone else relate?

Nope. They all think its funny. Besides, they can tease me if I can tease them. :bitelip:

Obviously, all those people who do not understand us are wrong! Seriously, I'm middle aged, no kids (although I have rented them on an occasional WDW trip) and work in an environment that "frowns" on the "trivial". I thank my lucky stars every day that the person most important to me "gets it" and we intend to continue our magical travels and rejoice in those of you who both understand and help spread the magic!

Those who get it, get it.
Those who don't, never will.

Nobody I know is interested in going to WDW. I have resigned myself to the fact that any trips I take will be solo ones and that I have no one (outside of the people on these boards) with whom to discuss WDW.

At a recent regional meeting we were given the choice of vacation destinations for exceeding our quarterly budgets. All agreed upon the caribbean but one. (ME) I opted for WDW and was literally laughed at and ridiculed for wanting to spend my time with a ficticious mouse. I tried to explain it to them but was not successful. I'm not sure all would agree with this but being at WDW is like Christmas every day. People seem to be a little more friendly and kind. The way I remember Christmas being before it was about finding the perfect or most popular toy of the season.
All I can say is, those that don't get it probably never will. No words or experience in life can truely capture the way it feels to walk through the gates and the overwhelming amount of joy it brings. As for me.....I give this gift to my children every year.. ("because that is where the magic lives")
DD01 :cool1:

I'm a 25 year old male and I completely understand where you are comming from. I could go to disney every year and I would be happy. I dont like the whole mexico thing. sure I like cruises and I have fun but there is no feeling like being in disney. It is the only time I feel like a kid again and I can do what I want and feel so magical. I convinced my GF to let me pay for us to go in march :). We are going for 8 days and I can't wait :)

One of my friends, when asked whether she had been to Disney World and what she thought of it, said that it was "just a bigger version of Six Flags."

SACRILEGE!!!!

I'm a senior in college, and when talking about it with friends, I get the impression (whether verbally or gesture-wise) that they think it's something that's only worth a one-time visit ("once you've seen it, you've seen it") and/or it's something that is only relagated to very young children. People grow up and they get "too cool" for "a bunch of people in costumes." How false and absurd!!!

I've stopped tyring to explain it. DH doesn't get it, he thinks that there are SO many places to see. Most of our friends and relatives don't get it, they think Disney's for kids. Fortunately, my Dsis and BIL get it, so I have folks to plan and dream with. My DD gets it, but she's only 11, and of course my nieces get it, they are 4 and 7. I finally figured it out...When I'm at WDW, I'm always happy. Even when my feet are swollen and some kid is screaming and it's hot or raining or I sat in gum or I can't find the too small rental car or somebody is sneaking a cigarette or the line is soooo long or i have to wait for a bus or monorail or, well, anything...I'M ALWAYS HAPPY IN DISNEY WORLD, and who wouldn't always want to be happy?

I love WDW, want to go there as often as I can (once a year is all I can afford) and also get the "you're going there again?" question from others that know me.

But where else in the world, can you leave the world's problems outside the main gate and have a truly happy time?

While typing this I'm listening to Disney Sorceror radio on www.LIVE365.com
and it makes me feel a little closer to WDW.

Why isn't my counter going faster? I'm ready to go NOW!!!! ;)

iluvwesties (AKA Carol) :wave:

My wife and I have had nothing but Oooohs and Aaaaahs from all the adults we've told about our plans to go to Disney by ourselves.

However... My stepson's reponse was - "What a waste! Why go there? It's so childish!"

They grow up so quickly. Oy!

All the time. One girl I used to work with was the worst. She always said "Are you going there again!?!?! What's there that you haven't seen or done already?" So one day I stumped her and said "You go to the beach every year. What's there that you have seen before?" She just looked at me. So I said "Nobody questions people who enjoy going to the same beach year after year, so don't question why I go to WDW every year. Try it some time, you might like it." She never said anything again after that.

I'm not sure about any of you but part of it with me is that I *know* I will have the vacation of a lifetime at Disney. Not a single one of my trips has ever fallen short. I'm the type of person that has to have things to do laid out on a platter for me I guess and I have a harder time where you just go somewhere (like the beach) and then figure out what's there :flower:

So I guess I like knowing that Disney is predictable, and that is ok by me. I like knowing I won't spend thousands of dollars and be disappointed. I like knowing that I will return to the only place in the world where I can be a kid and nobody cares. It's my favorite place in the world.

I do get flak about returning there. My parents don't get it at all. Of course, I don't get what they do either...they like to switch it up but they have disappointing vacations. Most of theirs are to an ocean destination so he can scuba and she can lay on the beach. So essentially what we hear about is if the water was good for scuba and if the service was good on the beach :rolleyes: Blah, I am bored already!!! :rotfl2: I purchased DVC at the ripe old age of 19, one of the youngest members I was told. For me it was a great investment and I don't regret buying for a second. There is no place on earth that possesses the comfortable charm, youth and thrill like Disney. So, as my friend Dana on the DIS says, we should all tell our friends to kiss our buttfeathers because Disney is the best vacation in the world. ::MickeyMo

kalel777,

Your not alone.

I get the same shaking of the head and strange comments when I tell people of my WDW plans this year. Just because other people decide that they wouldn't go, shouldn't mean that you can't.

:cool2: I can't stand people who think they are too cool for WDW. My DH and I went before we got engaged and then for our honeymoon. It was the most awesome fun EVER!! :flower:
Now that we have 2 little girls we try and go every year. When our youngest was 6 months old we went and everyone said, How can you do that with a little one that's ridiculous! Too much work etc., Then my friends with little kids say oh, we're waiting until they're older so they can go on all the rides. HELLO people what better time to take your kids. But, I guess if you don't feel the magic no one can make you.

My brother goes on a big hunting/fishing trip to Alaska every year and he and his wife cannot understand our WDW obsession. I'm like woo hoo who wants to freeze their butt waiting for a moose to come by or whatever it is they hunt. I would like to see Alaska it is beautiful but I don't know if I could forgoe a WDW trip for it.

Most of our friends and family think we are crazy for going every year and the more we try to explain to them how awesome it is the less they get it. I just say C'est La Vie. They can go to Alaska and the beach and wherever else it is they want to go and I will continue my yearly trek. But, do I have to hear their stupid comments on it? Such as:

Haven't you seen everything already?
Isn't it so boring?
Don't you get tired of schlepping your kids around?
What's the big deal about a couple of kiddie rides?

Luckily my husband and I are both nuts for WDW. I can't wait to go again in Nov of 05. :wizard: I'm sprinkling a little pixie dust on the naysayers!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter