• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another dog thread. So..do you have a favorite breed?

14925760_10154317797247886_6319683248552792187_n.jpg
15940944_10154523412922886_5896060351460023020_n.jpg

This is my baby. We adopted her at 5 months old and she was listed as a lab mix, but have had people tell us they see pit/boxer/Rhodesian Ridgeback in her so not sure. She's currently 2 and is super clingy, loves to cuddle, and just the sweetest little thing.

No favorite breed. I got my first dog 2 1/2 years ago. Didn't really want a dog, but I ended up with an untrained, un-housebroken, un-spayed, ugly beast. A border collie mix. Border collies are supposedly one of the most intelligent dog breeds, but this mutt got passed over in the brains department.

Here she is with her cone of shame after being fixed.

11037046_10101525853160075_295336470199220914_n.jpg

All in all, she's a very good dog. And she actually likes me, unlike the cats and my wife whom I strongly suspect merely tolerate my presence.

I don't have a particular favourite breed, although we are currently dog-sitting my parents' Wheaten Terrier and I'm really liking her. Good size (about 45lb), non-shedding!, fairly low key. She occasionally barks, but is generally friendly and is good with my kids.

I had a Dalmatian. A good one-person dog (I was a single student when I got her), but she wasn't good with other people or kids. I got her as an adult, and I don't blame the breed for her issues, but her upbringing (or lack-thereof). The only breed of dogs I don't like at all are Boxers. Bad experience with one as a kid, I can't stand them.

If you get a dog at a shelter, you can't always tell. You certainly don't usually know his history.
Bingo! We got a good dog at PetSmart adoption day, told the group we were looking for a dog that would be good with my boys. He WAS great, but we found he had Chow in him and eventually his Chow came out and sadly we had to put him down. Wish I'd know he had Chow in him.

Years later we wanted a second dog for the a fore mentioned dog. Went to the local Human Society and picked one out. Of course my kids were attached and the staff told us as we were walking out the door he was a digger! Gee thanks for the heads up as we're leaving. Two weeks with him he'd dug 5 holes (big holes) and one of them next to our house, I could see the bottom of the foundation which was down some 4 feet!!! I took him back, pretty upset and got lectured by them, told I could never adopt again. Never have, never will and make sure everyone in my area knows about their dishonesty, eventually got to pay them back when they got denied funding from a group I'm part of. I did what I could to channel funds to another option group that didn't play games.

I've only ever rescued dogs, but one of them was a purebred German Shepherd (abandoned by a breeder at 3 weeks old because they were going on a Florida vacation). She was wonderful. She helped raise my daughter and was the dog that showed my DH how awesome dogs are (she was his first and he eventually fell head over heels for her). She died of cancer 3 years ago.

I've always had bigger dogs (all mutts) before her. Today I have an older beagle mix, a terrier mix and a Chihuahua mix. These are my first small dogs and I absolutely adore them. I thought I was a "big dog" person before these three came into my life. The Chihuahua has cancer and heart disease (which I have learned are common to Chihuahuas) but she finished radiation in 2016 and is still going strong. The heart disease is a new diagnosis but we've caught it early.

I would love to rescue a Great Dane/mix someday. They are just such gentle giants and they just make me happy.

When I first met my husband he had an American Eskimo. She was the best dog. Super sweet, loved to play, and was by my side my entire pregnancy with my first 2 kids. Sadly we lost her in 2011. Our dog now is Mini pin possibly Australian or Blue Heeler mix. The shelter wasn't exactly sure what she is. She is insanely smart. She is a huge cuddle bug. Love her to death. Even if she does steal my side of the bed!:lmao:

I would love to rescue a Great Dane/mix someday. They are just such gentle giants and they just make me happy.

We were considering a Great Dane, but wound up adopting a retired greyhound. The height, laid back personality, and the tendency to lean on you were some of our favorite characteristics of both breeds, but greyhounds weigh a lot less and live longer on average.

Attachments

• 8630C08B-7F17-47D3-B032-11579B8DA734.jpeg
    8630C08B-7F17-47D3-B032-11579B8DA734.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 17

Our last three rescues have all been mutts but all have been Husky mixes. We like bigger fluffy dogs but an American Foxhound is a breed me may try in the future provided we can find one in need of rescue.

We love German Shepherds and mutts, currently sharing our home with one of each. Our first two GSD were dogs who needed to be rehomed and were both adults when we found them. Our current boy was purchased from the breeder as a washout from search and rescue training. He has AKC papers and his sire is some type of international big deal in obedience, tracking and something else. Our boy is a snuggly goofball.

Our current mutt is a brindle girl with hound, boxer and Pitt in her heritage. She is a sweet dog. Our previous mutt was a black lab/ beagle mix that we found abandoned in the mountains. She was probably the best dog I’ve ever had the pleasure of being around, smart, sweet and gentle with everyone and a comedian at heart.

We had Shelties growing up because my Grandma bred them or a while. They were great dogs. But as an adult, my preference has always been Poodles. They are smart and cute and hypoallergenic! My aunt had a silver, miniature Poodle named Setsu. I thought she was such a pretty dog. Fast forward 20 years and I got my first dog just after I bought my first house when I was 28 and single. She was a chocolate Poodle that I named Hershey. Those were good times. She saw me through marriage, a child, a new house, new job, etc. She passed away at 15.

Now I have a red, Toy Poodle. His name is Q, after the Star Trek character. He's a 5lb ball of energy and so loveable!

When a breed is popular, it is even more important to get a dog from someone who breeds for proper temperament. Backyard breeders and puppy mills almost destroyed the cocker with their unscrupulous breeding.

My first cocker was purchased from what today would probably be called a backyard breeder. She was pure bred akc registered, etc., but here temperament was not the greatest. I didn’t help because I didn’t socialize her very well either. With my current dog, I wanted a certain breed, but he wouldn’t sell to me because I would have small children and he didn’t want his puppies to go to home with small children. We ended up purchasing from a breedeer I met through him and she was wonderful. Her dogs had lovely temperaments and she also had their hips xrayed and eyes tested prior to using them in her breeding program.

We love yorkie mixes. We are on our 4th. Our last one died after 10 years. I wasn’t sure we would get another one until I found the one we have now. I felt we would never find one as great as the last one until I found our snorkie on pet finder. She is the best dog we have ever had. She is 9 and had been well trained. She has hair so she doesn’t shed which is a plus.

I go for BBD, big, black dogs. I go to the shelter and ask for the black puppy that is going to get big. Those are the ones that most people don’t want. I adopt puppies because my older dogs do better with a smaller dog at first. When I have tried to bring home an older dog, it has not gone well. I have 3 large dogs, 2 black, one grey, only because someone dumped the grey one at Petco.

Golden Retrievers for us.
We did consider a Huskie for our next dog but have ruled that out suiting or lifestyle, same for boarder collies, love them too but a huge exercise commitment.

We have a Bishon-****zu mix. I can't imagine a better dog. He was super easy to train and just loves to be loved. My 89 year old mother lives with us and he has taken it upon himself to be her protector/buddy. He just loves to snuggle!

Our Collie was the best dog for kids! He was severely neglected his first two years of life. We were hesitant to adopt him so took him to rehome him. He adopted us!! Sweetest, smartest animal. It was like losing a family member when he passed at the nice old age of 12.

I love that everyone says, “they are the best dog!” It’s so awesome when you find the perfect pet for your family.

I’m partial to corgi’s. I’ve had dogs most of my life, all rescues until we got our corgi. He is just the most snuggly, patient, smart, adorable dog that I’ve ever been around. I’m fairly certain he thinks he’s a lap dog despite his size and length. He’s always been great with my children and neighbors, although he hates the UPS man. Poor guy. The only thing I wish I could change about him is if he would shed less!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter