• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another dog thread. So..do you have a favorite breed?

German Shepherds are my love. I like other dogs, especially big dogs, but GSDs are my love.

I received my first German Shepherd when I was 1 year old. I have had a German Shepherd in my life ever since (presently on my 5th and 6th!).

When I was engaged, I told my future husband that I will always have a cat, and I will always have a German Shepherd. Accept it or move on. He accepted it. :-)

My present female Shepherd came from a bad breeder and I did not want her and was ready to walk away. She does not have the typical confidence nor personality of a Shepherd. However, she picked me, glued herself to me, cried in my neck, and since I already had grown up with Shepherds, I figured if I don't give her a chance, then she has no chance. She has come a long way in her 7 years, but she will never be the typical confident Shepherd. Yet, she is the most loving and attached to me dog I have ever had. She does love the rest of the family, and is loyal to us all, but I am the one she seeks out first when she is scared or just needs love.

My present GSD does, however, love to play with other dogs, but does not pick up on social cues in a pack very well, so we had to be careful which dogs we allow her to play with. We went to many shelters when she was 2, and tried to find a good companion for her. We ended up with an Australian Shepherd owner surrender. The shelter assured us that the dog was great, but something didn't seem right to me when we introduced our girl. Still, we wanted to help this other dog, so he came home with us. 9 days later, after the dog lunged and bit my husband, tried to bite my adult daughter, and attacked my female Shepherd, all because they came near me and the Australian Shepherd decided I was his one and only, we had to return him. That dog needed to be in a one person, one pet only household.

We then did the unthinkable for so many - we skipped the shelters and went to another breeder and bought a purebred male GSD puppy. He has been the best gift for our girl. In the four years since we had him, she has gained so much confidence and has become so much braver due to his influence. He is definitely the poster boy for all that is wonderful about German Shepherds, and now that we have two dogs, I can't imagine life with only one!

I've only had one dog (our current one), so I guess my 'favorite breed' would be dachshund. :) :)
How long have you had him/her? Anyone I know who has ever had just one doxie has ended up always having a doxie! I have to pick 2 breeds though b/c I have a dachshund & a Golden.

How long have you had him/her? Anyone I know who has ever had just one doxie has ended up always having a doxie! I have to pick 2 breeds though b/c I have a dachshund & a Golden.

He'll be 5 next month - we got him as a puppy. My wife had a doxie growing up as well, so that's how we decided on one when we chose to get a dog.

My first pup was a dachsund, and I would totally get another, and maybe I will, but we really want a hunting companion. Really really. Doxies are not lol. Maybe we will get both eventually. Weenies are just so funny! (and easy compared to the other dog we had at the same time, a GSD)

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Well then that is on the buyer if they buy a dog online or a pet shop or even a friend without researching what they are getting. If they get a dog that has a bad temperament, they own it. It should not matter if it is a pet or show dog. If you are buying a dog anywhere (not rescue or pound) it is up to the buyer to research what they are getting.

It always blows my mind that people will research the hell out of a washing machine before they buy one to make sure they get the most reliable one but will just buy whatever is cute or cheap with a living breathing animal that is going to be with them for 12-15 years.

I don'tknow what you are getting so upset about? I was responding to the OP's question.
Most people buy what they want where they can, and a lot of them are rescue dogs, from someone they know. Nothing wrong with that.
I don't know why you are getting upset that I had 4 episodes with german shepherds and related them to the OP.
I agree, knowing the breeder is a wonderful thing and if people do that, great.
Have a magical day.

I've only ever rescued dogs, but one of them was a purebred German Shepherd (abandoned by a breeder at 3 weeks old because they were going on a Florida vacation). She was wonderful. She helped raise my daughter and was the dog that showed my DH how awesome dogs are (she was his first and he eventually fell head over heels for her). She died of cancer 3 years ago.

I've always had bigger dogs (all mutts) before her. Today I have an older beagle mix, a terrier mix and a Chihuahua mix. These are my first small dogs and I absolutely adore them. I thought I was a "big dog" person before these three came into my life. The Chihuahua has cancer and heart disease (which I have learned are common to Chihuahuas) but she finished radiation in 2016 and is still going strong. The heart disease is a new diagnosis but we've caught it early.

I would love to rescue a Great Dane/mix someday. They are just such gentle giants and they just make me happy.

I was always a big dog person, too, until we took my daughter's bichon friese to care for. We loved that little dog. So easy to care for and didn't shed at all. They have to e groomed every 6 weeks but that was no problem. If we ever get another one, it will be a bichon.
So sorry about your Chihuahua. Hope all goes well.

Rough collie. The absolute best dog we have had. They are nanny dogs. He constantly checks on everyone in the house through out the day and through out the night. And smart like you wouldn't believe.

My favorite breed is the German Shepherd Dog, followed by the Cairn Terrier. Like luvavacation, I've also spent my life with German Shepherds, having had six of them since I was little. Right now I have a hole in my heart after losing my last one, that still hurts. My last two lost function in their rear ends and were on wheels. It was heartbreaking.

So I decided I wanted a break for a while, and decided to get a Cairn Terrier, a breed I'd always admired. He has done a really good job of piecing my heart back together again. :lovestruc He's very funny, and has wormed his way into our lives pretty solidly! And I like that he's small and doesn't shed, which is a great feature after a lifetime of dealing with horrible shedding year round! I think the most challenging things with him are a) the grooming piece and b) the stubborn terrier personality. But I've got him so he does what I ask of him, albeit rather slowly if it's not what he wants to do, lol.

Love all the dog stories! :goodvibes

Have you had german shepherds before?
I only ask because I had a bad experience with one once. We lived next door to a family with a german shepherd. Our kids played with theirs and we were back and forth between the yards/houses several times. What I'm trying to say is that we were not strangers to the german shepherd.
One time I was returning a cookie platter and went into their yard and stepped up onto their patio. The german shepherd was sitting by the sliding doors. He stood up and put his ears back, and bared his teeth while deeply growling. He also hunched like he was going to attack. I was literally stunned by this behavior. He had always been friendly before and I had approached their patio with him there before with no problems. I just stood there. The neighbor came outside at the growling and told me not to move. I didn't. She put him in the house. She said he had never done that before.
Ever since that day, I always called before going over. I also had her kids come to our yard, unless the dog was in.
I just thought I'd comment on this.

That is not surprising behavior with a German Shepherd, nor out of the norm for what it was bred to do. He was guarding his unsuspecting family from someone, in his eyes, that shouldn't have been there. (I take it you were cutting through the backyard and going toward the back door. Probably not something the dog was used to seeing. The front yard may have been a different story altogether, where he was used to people coming up to the door, idk. But being in the back yard, I think, was part of the problem here.) Sure, he knew you, but his family was inside and he wasn't exactly sure of what your intentions were, or even what you had in your hands, so he warned you to stay away.

Had he wanted to hurt you, he would have. But he didn't. That was probably because he sort of knew you. I don't think he liked you, though. He may have sensed you didn't like him. Truly. They do that. That is part of the beauty of their intelligence, and why many people have them for protection. They are independent thinkers, and can care for their "flock" by themselves. Obviously, though, they do better when a human is actually at the helm. But they can manage things on their own if they have to.That's why good leadership is so important when you own them. If you don't lead, they will. And their way of doing things won't always be the best way.

Within the breed there are obviously a range of personalities. Some really are big couch potatoes (I had one), and others may lean more toward the protective side. Most are probably somewhere in the middle. I always liked to make sure I knew where my dogs were and what they were up to even if they were just out in the yard. (Although it would've been a rare site, indeed, for someone to come across my patio and up to my slider.) And if people were over, I gave clear direction and signals to my dogs of what I expected of them. No floundering at all. They didn't have to decide things because I already decided things for them. That's how it has to be with them, and they're good with that.

I don't know what type of relationship this particular dog and owner had, and it may be a moot point because the dog was outside by himself when your incident happened, but when you were over there and the owner and kids were there and out in the open, etc, that was different. The dog knew you were ok to be there then - his people were there and he sensed everything was ok. It was only when he was left to decide on his own what was up that he decided he'd choose the protection of his family over playing nice with you. When you think about it, being in someone's yard isn't really expected, and in fact, had the dog bitten and you sued, they likely would've won, because the only people legally allowed in someone's yard are those that have an inherent right to be there, like a utility reader or delivery person, etc. Others are trespassers. And if a dog bites a trespasser, at least where I live, they're not found at fault. The only exception would be a child under age 8. Older children are expected to know better than to go in somoene's yard without permission.

This is from German Shepherd Rescue of New England. It perfectly describes typical GSD characteristics.

General Characteristics of a German Shepherd Dog

The German Shepherd Dog (GSD) is a large, active dog with a double coat. This double coat sheds and sheds and sheds and sheds, year round, and produces greater volumes of fur when the dogs “blow coat” in the spring and fall. Some shed more than others, but be sure that your vacuum will become your best friend. For some owners, this is not a trivial point. Being a large dog, expect muddy paw prints in the house every time it rains.

The breed was developed for service as a herding and general purpose working animal. Their desire to “work” or do something is genetic, and is stronger in some GSDs than others. Many GSDs end up in shelters precisely because they are working animals. Their first family really just wanted a couch-potato. Think about this carefully!

Most adult GSDs are handsome, giving, loyal, active, loving, protective and intelligent. Without proper guidance and training, GSDs can be rambunctious, destructive of property, obnoxious, and exhausting to live with. It is up to you to guide your dog to suit your lifestyle and that of your family.

Many GSDs can also become overly protective/territorial if they do not receive the level of leadership in the household that they respect and want to follow. Who is really running the show in your house? Evaluate this objectively. If it isn’t you or your dog doesn’t believe it’s you, then your German Shepherd Dog will assume that responsibility himself, and will run things as a dog will, not as a human being will. (After all, he’s just a dog!) In many instances, the dog way of running the world is NOT how humans would like, and we get calls from owners about overt protective and territorial behaviors showing up and getting out of control. It all has to do with YOU.

Most, if not all, GSDs need training and a structured lifestyle to thrive and become a canine good citizen. Training is not something you do once in an 8 week obedience class…training is teaching. You need to make sure the dog is following your rules for most of the dog’s life!

In addition, your leadership skills are something you will employ all of the time. Clarity, follow-through, fairness, and showing your dog that there are immediate consequences for all actions (good and not good) make all the difference! If you do this kind of thing naturally or work on doing it, owning a GSD can be the most amazing experience of your life. If you don’t want to commit to this level of mental and physical stimulation for your dog, and to this level of leadership bearing that you and your household need to employ as a lifestyle, please check out other more suitable breeds. You won’t be sorry then.

Different types of GSDs look and behave differently, and to some degree, have different needs. Learn about these differences and ascertain what it is you really want from the dog. There are American line dogs, German line dogs, other European line dogs, etc. Many people love the idea of a novelty like a Czech-line dog, but are you really ready to take on a dog like that? Most families are NOT. By researching different types and their general attributes you can make an educated choice about what type of GSD is right for you.

GSDs are known for being an “intelligent” breed. Remember that “intelligent” can be a nice thing in that your dog can learn quickly *if* you communicate with him well. However, “intelligent” can also mean that your dog has a need for physical and mental activity and stimulation, just like an intelligent child does. A bored GSD will often find his own excitement and stimulation, which might include digging, barking, herding small children around, “creating” toys out of household furniture or the children’s toys, etc. GSDs need exercise, socialization, and mental stimulation almost every day to be on their best behavior. Training never stops.[/B]

That is not surprising behavior with a German Shepherd, nor out of the norm for what it was bred to do. He was guarding his unsuspecting family from someone, in his eyes, that shouldn't have been there. (I take it you were cutting through the backyard and going toward the back door. Probably not something the dog was used to seeing. The front yard may have been a different story altogether, where he was used to people coming up to the door, idk. But being in the back yard, I think, was part of the problem here.) Sure, he knew you, but his family was inside and he wasn't exactly sure of what your intentions were, or even what you had in your hands, so he warned you to stay away.

Had he wanted to hurt you, he would have. But he didn't. That was probably because he sort of knew you. I don't think he liked you, though. He may have sensed you didn't like him. Truly. They do that. That is part of the beauty of their intelligence, and why many people have them for protection. They are independent thinkers, and can care for their "flock" by themselves. Obviously, though, they do better when a human is actually at the helm. But they can manage things on their own if they have to.That's why good leadership is so important when you own them. If you don't lead, they will. And their way of doing things won't always be the best way.

Within the breed there are obviously a range of personalities. Some really are big couch potatoes (I had one), and others may lean more toward the protective side. Most are probably somewhere in the middle. I always liked to make sure I knew where my dogs were and what they were up to even if they were just out in the yard. (Although it would've been a rare site, indeed, for someone to come across my patio and up to my slider.) And if people were over, I gave clear direction and signals to my dogs of what I expected of them. No floundering at all. They didn't have to decide things because I already decided things for them. That's how it has to be with them, and they're good with that.

I don't know what type of relationship this particular dog and owner had, and it may be a moot point because the dog was outside by himself when your incident happened, but when you were over there and the owner and kids were there and out in the open, etc, that was different. The dog knew you were ok to be there then - his people were there and he sensed everything was ok. It was only when he was left to decide on his own what was up that he decided he'd choose the protection of his family over playing nice with you. When you think about it, being in someone's yard isn't really expected, and in fact, had the dog bitten and you sued, they likely would've won, because the only people legally allowed in someone's yard are those that have an inherent right to be there, like a utility reader or delivery person, etc. Others are trespassers. And if a dog bites a trespasser, at least where I live, they're not found at fault. The only exception would be a child under age 8. Older children are expected to know better than to go in somoene's yard without permission.

This is from German Shepherd Rescue of New England. It perfectly describes typical GSD characteristics.

The German Shepherd Dog (GSD) is a large, active dog with a double coat. This double coat sheds and sheds and sheds and sheds, year round, and produces greater volumes of fur when the dogs “blow coat” in the spring and fall. Some shed more than others, but be sure that your vacuum will become your best friend. For some owners, this is not a trivial point. Being a large dog, expect muddy paw prints in the house every time it rains.

The breed was developed for service as a herding and general purpose working animal. Their desire to “work” or do something is genetic, and is stronger in some GSDs than others. Many GSDs end up in shelters precisely because they are working animals. Their first family really just wanted a couch-potato. Think about this carefully!

Most adult GSDs are handsome, giving, loyal, active, loving, protective and intelligent. Without proper guidance and training, GSDs can be rambunctious, destructive of property, obnoxious, and exhausting to live with. It is up to you to guide your dog to suit your lifestyle and that of your family.

Many GSDs can also become overly protective/territorial if they do not receive the level of leadership in the household that they respect and want to follow. Who is really running the show in your house? Evaluate this objectively. If it isn’t you or your dog doesn’t believe it’s you, then your German Shepherd Dog will assume that responsibility himself, and will run things as a dog will, not as a human being will. (After all, he’s just a dog!) In many instances, the dog way of running the world is NOT how humans would like, and we get calls from owners about overt protective and territorial behaviors showing up and getting out of control. It all has to do with YOU.

Most, if not all, GSDs need training and a structured lifestyle to thrive and become a canine good citizen. Training is not something you do once in an 8 week obedience class…training is teaching. You need to make sure the dog is following your rules for most of the dog’s life!

In addition, your leadership skills are something you will employ all of the time. Clarity, follow-through, fairness, and showing your dog that there are immediate consequences for all actions (good and not good) make all the difference! If you do this kind of thing naturally or work on doing it, owning a GSD can be the most amazing experience of your life. If you don’t want to commit to this level of mental and physical stimulation for your dog, and to this level of leadership bearing that you and your household need to employ as a lifestyle, please check out other more suitable breeds. You won’t be sorry then.

Different types of GSDs look and behave differently, and to some degree, have different needs. Learn about these differences and ascertain what it is you really want from the dog. There are American line dogs, German line dogs, other European line dogs, etc. Many people love the idea of a novelty like a Czech-line dog, but are you really ready to take on a dog like that? Most families are NOT. By researching different types and their general attributes you can make an educated choice about what type of GSD is right for you.

GSDs are known for being an “intelligent” breed. Remember that “intelligent” can be a nice thing in that your dog can learn quickly *if* you communicate with him well. However, “intelligent” can also mean that your dog has a need for physical and mental activity and stimulation, just like an intelligent child does. A bored GSD will often find his own excitement and stimulation, which might include digging, barking, herding small children around, “creating” toys out of household furniture or the children’s toys, etc. GSDs need exercise, socialization, and mental stimulation almost every day to be on their best behavior. Training never stops.[/B]
This is true. If you’re the owner of this breed, they’re wonderful dogs. But when I worked in veterinary medicine, I hated tk see this breed. They were so unpredictable, (especially white & black ones), but they were good dogs for their owners.

This is true. If you’re the owner of this breed, they’re wonderful dogs. But when I worked in veterinary medicine, I hated tk see this breed. They were so unpredictable, (especially white & black ones), but they were good dogs for their owners.

That's why I probably won't get another one. He was truely a great dog TO US, but I swear we didn't have any guests to the house for 11 years! After he died, I'd invite people over and they'd be like, "wow we never seen the inside of your house before!"
I hated taking him to the vet too. The assistants and receptionist treated him like such a horror, it was like he didn't want him there. But he actually behaved there...He would give smooches to the vet, but nobody else would go near him.

That's why I probably won't get another one. He was truely a great dog TO US, but I swear we didn't have any guests to the house for 11 years! After he died, I'd invite people over and they'd be like, "wow we never seen the inside of your house before!"
I hated taking him to the vet too. The assistants and receptionist treated him like such a horror, it was like he didn't want him there. But he actually behaved there...He would give smooches to the vet, but nobody else would go near him.
That's why it's so important, when you get a dog, to find one that has a stable temperament.

Nice article, thanks.
No, the dog was used to the neighbors, kids, coming and going through the back door all the time. So, that wasn't it.
All in all, I have found this behavior in 3 different dogs (one twice), so I feel that is too much for coincidence.
Thanks for the info.

We love our Keeshond! Keeshonden are the best dogs, & I would have another one again in a heartbeat!

I also love Golden Retrievers & German Shepherd Dogs! I wish I had the discipline necessary to have a GSD. Beagles are also adorable, & Great Danes are awesome! I also like the American Eskimo Dog & the Finnish Spitz.

All dogs are great, but I do probably prefer the medium to large-sized dogs over the smaller dogs. I'm also not personally a fan of pugs or bulldogs, & I have to admit that the pit bulls scare me.

I love pugs! :love:pug: We had a pug/terrier mix that we got from the shelter my senior year of high school and she lived to 16. She was the sweetest, funniest, most loving dog. She was my first. Now we have a Chihuahua that we inherited from DH's grandfather when he passed in May. He's such a little pain in the behind, but I love him too. I would never go out of my way to adopt a Chihuahua though. He's a very nervous dog and marks everywhere!

No not my point. He was stable, he was just very protective of our house.
People couldn't come in your house for 11 years? But yet he behaved at the vet's? :scratchin

"Just over-protective of the house"?

Nope, I know that type.

Either temperament off or not trained and socialized correctly. Probably both.

Not a stable dog.

This is why, when GSDs are put up for adoption, they require experience with the breed and assess the owner and home to make sure the dog is being trained and handled correctly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter