Another dog thread. So..do you have a favorite breed?

What I am saying is that the average person does not buy a purebred dog. They buy one online, or from a friend, or,or, or. If someone Wants a purebred, then of course, they will do the research and find a reputable breeder and expect more. But the average person, IMO, does not care about the breeder. They just want a dog, that's all. We had a purebred, AKC registered beagle when I was growing up. That is what Dad wanted. That is what he researched and paid for. If he had wanted a pet, not a purebred, then he would not have gone that way. I am saying the amount of people who buy only purebred must not be huge. The average person buys a pet period. No matter where they get it or what breed it is.
I am not disputing the quality of purebreds by breeders, not at all.
I am just saying that this is what happened to people I know personally, and they did not know the breeder. I have had several black labs, not purebred by a longshot, and they were great, gentle, loving dogs. Don't know if I was just lucky.
I understand what you are saying about breeders, and am not disputing that at all. You are right.
Anyway, I gave the OP my insight into MY Personal Experiences concerning german shepherds. That's all. She can take it or leave it.
Have a nice day.
CAVEAT EMPTOR

Well then that is on the buyer if they buy a dog online or a pet shop or even a friend without researching what they are getting. If they get a dog that has a bad temperament, they own it. It should not matter if it is a pet or show dog. If you are buying a dog anywhere (not rescue or pound) it is up to the buyer to research what they are getting.

It always blows my mind that people will research the hell out of a washing machine before they buy one to make sure they get the most reliable one but will just buy whatever is cute or cheap with a living breathing animal that is going to be with them for 12-15 years.

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Well then that is on the buyer if they buy a dog online or a pet shop or even a friend without researching what they are getting. If they get a dog that has a bad temperament, they own it. It should not matter if it is a pet or show dog. If you are buying a dog anywhere (not rescue or pound) it is up to the buyer to research what they are getting.

It always blows my mind that people will research the hell out of a washing machine before they buy one to make sure they get the most reliable one but will just buy whatever is cute or cheap with a living breathing animal that is going to be with them for 12-15 years.
If you get a dog at a shelter, you can't always tell. You certainly don't usually know his history.

Anyway, if I were to have a dog again, I'm very partial to all kinds of shepherds and Collies and mixtures of them. Shelties are cool too.

Love them all but I am partial to Standard Poodles. I groom Gracie myself so the upkeep isn’t that bad.

TC :cool1:

Yes yes yes! My absolute favorite breed is the golden retriever. They are the best dogs with the greatest personalities, looks, and trainability. It does take work to maintain their coat but it is so worth it. I'm on my second golden now and will only ever be owned by this breed. My golden is enrolled in the Golden Retriever Lifetime Study which is an observational study on 3000+ golden retrievers across the country sponsored by the Morris Animal Foundation to try to figure out what the genetic and lifestyle links are to health issue that plague our dogs especially cancer. Anyone who has owned a golden knows that cancer is a big issue with these dogs so we are hoping that the study comes up with some good data. I lost my last golden to bone cancer when she was 8 years old.
I love Goldens too. On my 3rd. That’s wonderful about the foundation. Took a break from Goldens b/c we lost last 2 to cancer at 12 & 9 (bladder & spleen). So thought we would get another breed less prone to cancer so we got a beagle. But, guess what, he died at just 6 of pancreatic cancer! So we went back to Goldens. He is only 7 1/2 mos now & already such a wonderful dog. The beagle was umm...”challenging” although we loved him. The golden is already pretty much trained & calm. He’s the best dog we have ever had including the other 2 Goldens. We also always have a dachshund. Only on our 2nd though b/c the last one lived to be 16. They’re not “good” dogs like the Golden is, but so much personality & fun. Love all dogs & would love to have other breeds, but since we love Goldens & dachshunds so much, we probably never will.

When a breed is popular, it is even more important to get a dog from someone who breeds for proper temperament. Backyard breeders and puppy mills almost destroyed the cocker with their unscrupulous breeding. It is happening to the golden and labs too. We are seeing more and more poorly bred dogs without the proper golden temperament.

There is nothing wrong with the breed, only with the breeders who pay no attention to what they are breeding. Caveat Emptor.

This is so true. My girl (her pic is in my avatar) comes from a show breeder and when I researched where to get my next golden, I looked at multiple pedigrees to check on the necessary four health clearances, longevity, and reason why the relative died. It was extremely enlightening to know what my dog had in her background.

It is also sad that due to backyard breeders and puppy mills, there are a lot of goldens out there that do not fit the standard in terms of structure and temperament. I have been asked by people before what kind of dog I had and when I replied golden retriever, they look at me like I'm lying that I have a purebred golden! People are used to goldens that don't fit the standard and it is pretty sad.

We prefer larger dogs. Our last one was a Chocolate Lab. Before that we had a Border Collie.

I've never really liked smaller dogs, especially ones with a very shrill bark. Ouch.

I grew up with Brittanies. They’re high energy hunting dogs that shed.

My ex and I lived in a condo in Northern VA and decided a Bichon would be good for us because they don’t shed and don’t need a big yard. We adored her but she had a lot of health problems typical for the breed (cataracts, bladder surgery, etc.) Also she was kind of stoic and cat-like (not a compliment!)

We wanted one more dog and after doing a lot of research and hearing Barbara Walters talk about her talking dog we decided on a Havanese. Best decision ever. She was a terrible puppy but she is an amazing dog. She’s funny and sweet and loving. Not super clingy. And very in touch with my emotions. Provided me so much support during my divorce. She doesn’t shed, travels well, loves the kids, and does an amazing job keeping me company. Highly recommend Havaneses from a good breeder.

Attachments

• 7FE5CAFC-B4E4-4FA9-8026-382DF793530F.jpeg
    7FE5CAFC-B4E4-4FA9-8026-382DF793530F.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 14
View attachment 297003
This is my goldendoodle. She would really really like to be your friend. Lol Still trying to figure out the best way to groom her, but she's only a year so I've got time to figure it out.
Aww I’d be her friend! Lol! My dog would love to be her friend too! He LOVES dogs. He’s only 7 mos. This is him & his brother!

Attachments

• 99885E18-86C9-4553-9CD4-2BABF03FF502.jpeg
    99885E18-86C9-4553-9CD4-2BABF03FF502.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 23
I love Goldens too. On my 3rd. That’s wonderful about the foundation. Took a break from Goldens b/c we lost last 2 to cancer at 12 & 9 (bladder & spleen). So thought we would get another breed less prone to cancer so we got a beagle. But, guess what, he died at just 6 of pancreatic cancer! So we went back to Goldens. He is only 7 1/2 mos now & already such a wonderful dog. The beagle was umm...”challenging” although we loved him. The golden is already pretty much trained & calm. He’s the best dog we have ever had including the other 2 Goldens. We also always have a dachshund. Only on our 2nd though b/c the last one lived to be 16. They’re not “good” dogs like the Golden is, but so much personality & fun. Love all dogs & would love to have other breeds, but since we love Goldens & dachshunds so much, we probably never will.

I think with any breed it is a crap shot so why not enjoy life with my favorite breed. We can never predict what the future brings but at least we can live in the present! I would like to add a corgi to the family or get two goldens someday if I can afford it. We always joke that we work hard so our golden can live the life! Lol.

This is so true. My girl (her pic is in my avatar) comes from a show breeder and when I researched where to get my next golden, I looked at multiple pedigrees to check on the necessary four health clearances, longevity, and reason why the relative died. It was extremely enlightening to know what my dog had in her background.

It is also sad that due to backyard breeders and puppy mills, there are a lot of goldens out there that do not fit the standard in terms of structure and temperament. I have been asked by people before what kind of dog I had and when I replied golden retriever, they look at me like I'm lying that I have a purebred golden! People are used to goldens that don't fit the standard and it is pretty sad.
I agree! My first was a rescue & the other badly bred although we had gotten her from a family member who couldn’t care for her. This one we did A LOT of research & found a good breeder. But also had to pay a lot of $$$ for him b/c of this. We also picked the most laid back puppy in the litter & he definitely still fits that. He was well worth the $$$!

I think with any breed it is a crap shot so why not enjoy life with my favorite breed. We can never predict what the future brings but at least we can live in the present! I would like to add a corgi to the family or get two goldens someday if I can afford it. We always joke that we work hard so our golden can live the life! Lol.
Lol! Totally agree. My experience with our beagle taught me that.

Aww I’d be her friend! Lol! My dog would love to be her friend too! He LOVES dogs. He’s only 7 mos. This is him & his brother!

My parents recently showed up (snow birds) and brought their 9 month old yellow lab at the same time we were dogsitting a 90 pound Great Pyrennes who is rather old and slow moving. Let's just say it was a crazy house for a few days. My dog bounces between incessant begging for attention from every human she sees to running wild with the lab puppy - she was soooo happy. Makes me think I should take her out to dog parks and such more often, but we had a bad experience with a dog that bit there so I'm nervous about it.

My parents recently showed up (snow birds) and brought their 9 month old yellow lab at the same time we were dogsitting a 90 pound Great Pyrennes who is rather old and slow moving. Let's just say it was a crazy house for a few days. My dog bounces between incessant begging for attention from every human she sees to running wild with the lab puppy - she was soooo happy. Makes me think I should take her out to dog parks and such more often, but we had a bad experience with a dog that bit there so I'm nervous about it.
Yeah I don’t do dog parks either. Makes me nervous. Don’t trust ppl :(. Mine have each other & get visits from relatives’ dogs.

Yeah I don’t do dog parks either. Makes me nervous. Don’t trust ppl :(. Mine have each other & get visits from relatives’ dogs.

We don't live anywhere near family, so the best my dog gets on a regular basis the "old" great pyrennes which just isn't what a puppy needs for a play companion. I just need to convince the husband to let me get another dog - that would solve everything :)

No dog parks for us, either. Our dog was bitten in the eye, on our property, by a dog being walked on the sidewalk. We had ours on a leash at the edge of the property, a neighborhood dog was being walked, supposedly a friendly dog. The other dog went after ours, with our dog needing eye surgery. The couple paid for all expenses and said there dog was not a biter. Hmmm, we learned afterwards that this was not an isolated incident.

Small dogs are so much easier. Shih Tzus are the best. Great with people, not barkers, no shedding and the live well into their teens

I agree! I miss my shih tzu babies. My little girl was 18 when we lost her last year and my boy was 16 when he passed in late 2015. Someday I’ll have another but since life is busy now we rescued some guinea pigs. Not the same as a dog :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter