Another dog thread. So..do you have a favorite breed?

I am partial to Goldens and Labs but never owned either. I only had fish growing up. My husband and I decided when we felt the time was right to adequately care for a dog we wanted to adopt from one of our local shelters and our former dog was a golden retriever/greyhound mix and our current dog is a hound/shep mix.

I'm partial to labs. We adopted a black lab in 2002, and she just passed away at the age of 16 last summer. We adopted a chocolate lab in 2011, she's 11 years old now and and is the best dog ever. And we just got a chocolate lab puppy who is 9 weeks old (and is the 2nd best dog ever). :)

I like Corgis. They are adorable. I had a mutt that must have had some corgi in her and she was a good dog. I also like retired Greyhounds. They are big couch potatoes.

I have a male cairn terrier now and will never again get a...
A) terrier... they are very stubborn
B) male dog... they pee on/mark stuff in house (or at least this one does)
C) small dog.... they have teeth issues and stinky breath (or at least this one does)
D) long haired dog... pain to keep up with especially when they hate grooming (like this one does)

But DH says no more dogs. Probably get a cat after our cairn is gone.

Last edited:
I love really big dogs and really tiny dogs. I loveeee pitties and Rottweilers, they are the sweetest dogs. I also love anything big and fluffy. But I would love to have a corgi or a dachshund one day too.

We've had a few. In my life I've been around 3 Wire Fox Terriers, Scottish Terrier, Lhasa Apso and a Golden Retriever all AKC, plus a couple of mutts. Of all the dogs the Wire Fox Terrier is my hands down favorite. This is Scout our current WFT.
Scout_Lost_Lake.png

Have you had german shepherds before?
I only ask because I had a bad experience with one once. We lived next door to a family with a german shepherd. Our kids played with theirs and we were back and forth between the yards/houses several times. What I'm trying to say is that we were not strangers to the german shepherd.
One time I was returning a cookie platter and went into their yard and stepped up onto their patio. The german shepherd was sitting by the sliding doors. He stood up and put his ears back, and bared his teeth while deeply growling. He also hunched like he was going to attack. I was literally stunned by this behavior. He had always been friendly before and I had approached their patio with him there before with no problems. I just stood there. The neighbor came outside at the growling and told me not to move. I didn't. She put him in the house. She said he had never done that before.
Ever since that day, I always called before going over. I also had her kids come to our yard, unless the dog was in.
I have another bad experience with a german shepherd too.
My daughters dog was attacked by a german shepherd. She had a small bichon. The dog required stitches and had a $400 vet bill. The owner apologized and paid for the vet bill. She said the dog never did that before, but promised to keep it tied up while out. One hot summer day, she admits to letting the dog off his leash so he could roam in the yard and get cooled down. They lived across the street in a rural area. That dog came to their yard and attacked viciously the little bichon. My daughter found him curled up in the garage amid a lot of blood. He had to have major surgery and cost well over 800 dollars. Again,, the lady paid and had the dog put down. It had never acted like that before. My daughters dog was friendly and loved to play, never had a mean bone in it's body.
So, since these 2 incidents I have never trusted german shepherds again.
I know others will write and say how their german shepherds are not like that, and I get it. Neither were these dogs, til they were.
Just my opinion and a heads up.
A good testament to always seek a reliable breeder who pays attention to temperament. That is not typical for a Shepherd and I would venture to guess these were both either puppy mill or backyard breeder dogs who were bred with no attention to what was being bred together.

My parents bred shepherds and there is a reason they are/were a popular dog for seeing eye dogs. A well bred, well trained shepherd is one of the most stable temperaments you can find.

Last edited:
I’m honestly partial to any wiry terrier mutt- I grew up with a chihuahua/terrier mix and loved him. I’ll definitely get my next dog from a rescue/shelter.

I love corgis though, they’re just too cute. I’ve always loved Goldens; they’re just such sweet family dogs.

A good testament to always seek a reliable breeder who pays attention to temperament. That is not typical for a Shepherd and I would venture to guess these were both either puppy mill or backyard breeder dogs who was bred with no attention to what was being bred together.

My parents bred shepherds and there is a reason they are/were a popular dog for seeing eye dogs. A well bred, well trained shepherd is one of the most stable temperaments you can find.

I don't know who their breeder was, and I doubt 99% of people don't either. The point is, they became unstable for no apparent reason, and that's concerning. I recall another friend whose friendly gs suddenly attacked her granddaughter while she was playing quietly on the floor. No provocation whatsoever, and thankfully the parents pulled the dog off before she was harmed, more than a few scratches and being scared of dogs now. So, that's 4, that I know of personally. It just makes you wonder what it is that sets off a dog who is normally fine, with NO provocation in those instances?
I would bet that good breeders like your parents had great dogs, but there seems to be some thing inherently wrong going on here.
Don't get me wrong, I love all dogs, but I will always be leery of this breed due to those personal instances. I cannot just write them off.

There's lots of breeds I like. I have a much shorter list of "breeds I refuse to let in my house".

I'm currently sitting with the Beagle/Lab/misc. mutt we adopted a few months ago lying next to me. She's a sweetheart, but also a serious pain in the behind. I didn't want a terribly smart or active dog, but I got both. I've started agility training with her, just to give her another outlet for her seemingly boundless energy. She goes to the dog park several times a week and has a doggie play group (where she wears out dogs twice her size). Oh, and the invisible fence we had to put in (she's a bolter, and our HOA prohibits normal fences) was NOT cheap. What with the training and the medical bills and the fence, I probably could have saved money getting a purebred puppy!

I grew up with toy poodles. DH likes bigger dogs. Together we've had several Lab mixes (love them) and now a Standard Poodle. (He's a rescue, but he came with his papers.) I think I have found my breed. He's the BEST dog. He doesn't shed, he's happy-go-lucky, he likes to play but doesn't have extreme exercise needs, and is the sweetest thing. Love him to pieces.

Right now we have a yorkie, a yorkie/shih tzu mix and one of their puppies.

I grew up with Australian Shepards. They are great dogs. Whenever my husband and I are in the position to bring in a new dog, we will really consider an Australian Shepard or a mini Australian Shepard.

I grew up with dachshunds, but now we are a cocker spaniel house. She is the best dog I have ever had. She has the most wonderful termperament, stayed on the smaller side of the spectrum, and is just beautiful color.

Attachments

• 6A9E1374-8B65-4974-9723-119D25D9D70E.jpeg
    6A9E1374-8B65-4974-9723-119D25D9D70E.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 10
  • C93DB9DF-D736-4675-AAA0-D878A9B81BFB.jpeg
    C93DB9DF-D736-4675-AAA0-D878A9B81BFB.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 9
I don't know who their breeder was, and I doubt 99% of people don't either. The point is, they became unstable for no apparent reason, and that's concerning. I recall another friend whose friendly gs suddenly attacked her granddaughter while she was playing quietly on the floor. No provocation whatsoever, and thankfully the parents pulled the dog off before she was harmed, more than a few scratches and being scared of dogs now. So, that's 4, that I know of personally. It just makes you wonder what it is that sets off a dog who is normally fine, with NO provocation in those instances?
I would bet that good breeders like your parents had great dogs, but there seems to be some thing inherently wrong going on here.
Don't get me wrong, I love all dogs, but I will always be leery of this breed due to those personal instances. I cannot just write them off.
I would be concerned that 99% of people who purchase a purebred dog do not know who their breeder is. That should be your #1 priority before selecting a purebred dog: researching reputable breeders. And I disagree that most people don't know who they get their dog from unless they get a rescue, dog from the pound or heaven forbid, a pet shop.

Again, shepherds are a popular breed, so have been prone to unscrupulous breeding by puppy mills and backyard breeders. And a popular breed = lots of money for unscrupulous breeders = lots of poorly bred dogs out there. It is no wonder you have encountered several with poor temperaments. The dogs you describe are atypical temperaments for a GSD, indicating that they came from someone looking to make a buck rather than breeding for the betterment of the breed. Usually what sets off a dog is poor breeding.

When a breed is popular, it is even more important to get a dog from someone who breeds for proper temperament. Backyard breeders and puppy mills almost destroyed the cocker with their unscrupulous breeding. It is happening to the golden and labs too. We are seeing more and more poorly bred dogs without the proper golden temperament.

There is nothing wrong with the breed, only with the breeders who pay no attention to what they are breeding. Caveat Emptor.

Rescue is my favorite breed :love:

All 4 of my pups are rescues.

My very favorite breed is the westie. I also love the Labrador and Golden Retriever.

I would be concerned that 99% of people who purchase a purebred dog do not know who their breeder is. That should be your #1 priority before selecting a purebred dog: researching reputable breeders. And I disagree that most people don't know who they get their dog from unless they get a rescue, dog from the pound or heaven forbid, a pet shop.

Again, shepherds are a popular breed, so have been prone to unscrupulous breeding by puppy mills and backyard breeders. The dogs you describe are atypical temperaments for a GSD, indicating that they came from someone looking to make a buck rather than breeding for the betterment of the breed. Usually what sets off a dog is poor breeding.

When a breed is popular, it is even more important to get a dog from someone who breeds for proper temperament. Backyard breeders and puppy mills almost destroyed the cocker with their unscrupulous breeding. It is happening to the golden and labs too. We are seeing more and more poorly bred dogs without the proper golden temperament.

There is nothing wrong with the breed, only with the breeders who pay no attention to what they are breeding. Caveat Emptor.

What I am saying is that the average person does not buy a purebred dog. They buy one online, or from a friend, or,or, or. If someone Wants a purebred, then of course, they will do the research and find a reputable breeder and expect more. But the average person, IMO, does not care about the breeder. They just want a dog, that's all. We had a purebred, AKC registered beagle when I was growing up. That is what Dad wanted. That is what he researched and paid for. If he had wanted a pet, not a purebred, then he would not have gone that way. I am saying the amount of people who buy only purebred must not be huge. The average person buys a pet period. No matter where they get it or what breed it is.
I am not disputing the quality of purebreds by breeders, not at all.
I am just saying that this is what happened to people I know personally, and they did not know the breeder. I have had several black labs, not purebred by a longshot, and they were great, gentle, loving dogs. Don't know if I was just lucky.
I understand what you are saying about breeders, and am not disputing that at all. You are right.
Anyway, I gave the OP my insight into MY Personal Experiences concerning german shepherds. That's all. She can take it or leave it.
Have a nice day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter