Another dog thread. So..do you have a favorite breed?

Golden retrievers. We have our 3rd one now(1 of those we adopted when she was older). The one we have now is so playful and loyal. She's just a couple years old, so it will be a while before we get another dog. I do think I'll want it to be a smaller/medium sized dog the next time...just because it's a little easier to walk a smaller breed(and to travel with it). We haven't traveled much with our pets in the past, but I can see us doing that more when we visit our kids as they start to get places of their own.

I like a lot of breeds. Probably my biggest preference is related to fur. I tend to prefer short-haired dogs.
Over the years, we have had a Rottweiler, two Labs, a German Shepherd, and a small-med rescue mutt, and a mutt who followed us home. :)
I love Great Danes, but we don't really have the space for a dog that large. The neighbor has a Corgi I really like, it wouldn't take much to convince me we need one.

Of course, I have to take the family into account: DH likes Rotts, Pitts and Boxers. DS likes Rotts. And DD worked at a vets office and fell in love with Dobermans.

Yes yes yes! My absolute favorite breed is the golden retriever. They are the best dogs with the greatest personalities, looks, and trainability. It does take work to maintain their coat but it is so worth it. I'm on my second golden now and will only ever be owned by this breed. My golden is enrolled in the Golden Retriever Lifetime Study which is an observational study on 3000+ golden retrievers across the country sponsored by the Morris Animal Foundation to try to figure out what the genetic and lifestyle links are to health issue that plague our dogs especially cancer. Anyone who has owned a golden knows that cancer is a big issue with these dogs so we are hoping that the study comes up with some good data. I lost my last golden to bone cancer when she was 8 years old.

I don't love overly hyper dogs. I prefer low key mushes that also have a personality--a basset hound is probably my number one choice, but I also love PBGVs. I've never "known" one, but there's something about King Charles Cavaliers that seems adorable.

Last edited:

Yes yes yes! My absolute favorite breed is the golden retriever. They are the best dogs with the greatest personalities, looks, and trainability. It does take work to maintain their coat but it is so worth it. I'm on my second golden now and will only ever be owned by this breed. My golden is enrolled in the Golden Retriever Lifetime Study which is an observational study on 3000+ golden retrievers across the country sponsored by the Morris Animal Foundation to try to figure out what the genetic and lifestyle links are to health issue that plague our dogs especially cancer. Anyone who has owned a golden knows that cancer is a big issue with these dogs so we are hoping that the study comes up with some good data. I lost my last golden to bone cancer when she was 8 years old.

A former co-workers golden is also enrolled.

I prefer dogs with hair as opposed to fur. Also, small to small/medium breeds. I had 3 poodles growin up and loved them. Have had 2 cocker spaniels being married and fell in love with them. I like bichons, doxies, corgis, shih tzu’s, King Charles cavalier, Maltese. DS24 & his girlfriend want a bulldog...no thanks.

In the past, we have had big dogs - Irish Setter, Shepherd/Saint mix, Saint Bernard. Now we have gone smaller. Corgi is the breed or mix of choice in our house. We have had 2 full corgis and one mix. We also have a basset hound/lab mix who is just the most awesome dog. Love that mix! All our dogs have come through rescues.

Someone posted a lab/basset puppy on my facebook marketplace for sale. It was sooo cute.

Right now we have a border collie mix and a lab mix. I would like to get smaller dogs as well, unless we end up on some land, then I will probably get larger dogs too.

When getting a dog, is there a specific breed you want? Though I've always loved dogs of all sizes, when it comes to owning one, I prefer small ones. Like lhasa apsos, cairn terriers, cocker spaniels. I can never own a pitbull because my homeowner's insurance wouldn't allow it. And it breaks my heart to see how many of those are at the pound. If I ever live on an acre or two some day, I think I'd want to get a couple of big dogs. Maybe labs or golden retrievers, or whatever I could find at the pound.

Thanks, OP, for this refreshing thread:)
I always had big dogs, black lab's.
I most recently had a little bichon friese, and I loved it. There is a lot to be said for having a small dog that you can pick up and take to the vet, etc. He also didn't shed, which I loved! I loved his personality and he was a great companion to me. Sadly, had to put him asleep due to health problems, but he was 16 years old at the time. I Inherited him from my daughter. If I ever get over losing Scruffy, I will absolutely get another bichon! Great dogs.

I loved my dachshund..RIP my little Pie. But right now, I am looking for a dog who can be a family dog/hunting companion. So I am specifically looking for a lab,Golden, English springer, coonhound, or mix of those.

If your serious about pit bulls. Check out State Farm for insurance. That’s what I had to do for when my insurance drop me when I had a rotewerrier mix. Don’t know if it’s the same for pit bulls but if your serious check them out and see if they will cover you.

Honestly, a pitbull isn't the right dog for me, but thanks anyway for the info. I do adore my neighbor's pitbull/lab mix. Three years ago we went camping with our neighbors. My then 12 year old dog had a hot dog in his mouth and was growling at the neighbor's dog (who was a puppy) and eating it at the same time. Lol!!!

Love all dogs but prefer medium size and larger to the toy sizes. Although my daughter is pushing hard for a toy dog. We need a dog that doesn't shed which is very hard to find when going the shelter or rescue route. Spent a very long time trying to find one and there were few to begin with and went very fast once made available. Soo we ended up buying a goldendoodle. She is simply lovely. 40 pounds of pure happiness. Her coat takes quite a bit of work but its worth it to me.

German Shepherd. As soon as life calms down so that we have the time to dedicate to one, we will be getting a female.

Have you had german shepherds before?
I only ask because I had a bad experience with one once. We lived next door to a family with a german shepherd. Our kids played with theirs and we were back and forth between the yards/houses several times. What I'm trying to say is that we were not strangers to the german shepherd.
One time I was returning a cookie platter and went into their yard and stepped up onto their patio. The german shepherd was sitting by the sliding doors. He stood up and put his ears back, and bared his teeth while deeply growling. He also hunched like he was going to attack. I was literally stunned by this behavior. He had always been friendly before and I had approached their patio with him there before with no problems. I just stood there. The neighbor came outside at the growling and told me not to move. I didn't. She put him in the house. She said he had never done that before.
Ever since that day, I always called before going over. I also had her kids come to our yard, unless the dog was in.
I have another bad experience with a german shepherd too.
My daughters dog was attacked by a german shepherd. She had a small bichon. The dog required stitches and had a $400 vet bill. The owner apologized and paid for the vet bill. She said the dog never did that before, but promised to keep it tied up while out. One hot summer day, she admits to letting the dog off his leash so he could roam in the yard and get cooled down. They lived across the street in a rural area. That dog came to their yard and attacked viciously the little bichon. My daughter found him curled up in the garage amid a lot of blood. He had to have major surgery and cost well over 800 dollars. Again,, the lady paid and had the dog put down. It had never acted like that before. My daughters dog was friendly and loved to play, never had a mean bone in it's body.
So, since these 2 incidents I have never trusted german shepherds again.
I know others will write and say how their german shepherds are not like that, and I get it. Neither were these dogs, til they were.
Just my opinion and a heads up.

OMG his name was Scruffy??? That was my dog's name who died two days ago.

So sorry to hear that. Losing a pet is very traumatic. It is a loved member of the family. I don't pretend that they are "kids", but they are loving companions who take you as you are. They love you for being you. Of course, it's sad when you lose them. It's been 3 years since we lost Scruffy and I still can't get past it and get another bichon. Not yet. I know what you are going through with your Scruffy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter