Another dog thread. So..do you have a favorite breed?

PS the reason the dog behaves at the vet when it won't behave at home is because he knows that there are strong leaders there who aren't going to put up with not doing what they have to do. He respects them.

This is the way it has to be at home, too - strong leadership. That does not equate to being mean to the dog. It means giving the dog direction, training it to understand what you mean, then following through each and every time so the dog understands misbehavior isn't optional. Re-read article above.

When done correctly with a stable dog, it can be a beautiful thing. Dog behaves.

A GSD looks to its leader to see what it's supposed to do, unless there is no leader or a weak one. Then it does as it sees fit. If a dog is allowed to get away with a certain type of behavior, the behavior will increase.

If there is no correction when someone enters the house and the dog barks, that behavior is reinforced and will continue. The dog needs to be trained how to act when people enter the house - and it's not jumping on or going after people. Ideally, training starts when the dog is young.

GSDs live about 11 years, so it sounds like you allowed that type of behavior to go on for his whole life. Is there another explanation besides "he's just overprotective"?

My absolute favorite are English Springers.

We had them growing up, and we have one now. She is very loving, obedient, playful and protective of the children. Belle of Southern Comfort sleeps on her pink princess pillow in the middle of our king size bed every night.

holy cow you are out of control. You know nothing about my background with dogs. People not coming to my house that was tounge in cheek, of course people came. We can be more care free about it now though, we can tell people "doors open, just come in" for example. He was huge. He protected our house, what was wrong with that? We had a family member who was terrible terribly ill for a very long time and he looked after him and was super protective of him. When our 2nd child was born he slept under the crib. He didn't want anybody to hurt that baby. So we put him away when people came to visit baby. Or they visited baby at their house. Once we took in a cat who gave birth to kittens. Sadly mom died. OMG our GSD was total mamma kitty to those kitties. Letting them sleep with him and nurse on his fur. He was protective of them too.
Another poster admitted that she was afraid when GSDs came to her vet office, I was commenting on THAT. Not that I couldn't handle our GSD. He was almost 12 year when he died 3 years ago of cancer. Never was it said we ever rehomed him or gave him to a rescue.

Yup, that's me, out of control.

holy cow you are out of control. You know nothing about my background with dogs. People not coming to my house that was tounge in cheek, of course people came. We can be more care free about it now though, we can tell people "doors open, just come in" for example. He was huge. He protected our house, what was wrong with that? We had a family member who was terrible terribly ill for a very long time and he looked after him and was super protective of him. When our 2nd child was born he slept under the crib. He didn't want anybody to hurt that baby. So we put him away when people came to visit baby. Or they visited baby at their house. Once we took in a cat who gave birth to kittens. Sadly mom died. OMG our GSD was total mamma kitty to those kitties. Letting them sleep with him and nurse on his fur. He was protective of them too.
Another poster admitted that she was afraid when GSDs came to her vet office, I was commenting on THAT. Not that I couldn't handle our GSD. He was almost 12 year when he died 3 years ago of cancer. Never was it said we ever rehomed him or gave him to a rescue.
That's why I probably won't get another one. He was truely a great dog TO US, but I swear we didn't have any guests to the house for 11 years! After he died, I'd invite people over and they'd be like, "wow we never seen the inside of your house before!"
I hated taking him to the vet too. The assistants and receptionist treated him like such a horror, it was like he didn't want him there. But he actually behaved there...He would give smooches to the vet, but nobody else would go near him.

Last edited:

PS the reason the dog behaves at the vet when it won't behave at home is because he knows that there are strong leaders there who aren't going to put up with not doing what they have to do. He respects them.

This is the way it has to be at home, too - strong leadership. That does not equate to being mean to the dog. It means giving the dog direction, training it to understand what you mean, then following through each and every time so the dog understands misbehavior isn't optional. Re-read article above.

When done correctly with a stable dog, it can be a beautiful thing. Dog behaves.

A GSD looks to its leader to see what it's supposed to do, unless there is no leader or a weak one. Then it does as it sees fit. If a dog is allowed to get away with a certain type of behavior, the behavior will increase.

If there is no correction when someone enters the house and the dog barks, that behavior is reinforced and will continue. The dog needs to be trained how to act when people enter the house - and it's not jumping on or going after people. Ideally, training starts when the dog is young.

GSDs live about 11 years, so it sounds like you allowed that type of behavior to go on for his whole life. Is there another explanation besides "he's just overprotective"?

I had no idea that owning six German Shepherds made you a certified expert on the entire breed! To the point that you can diagnose issues in dogs and owners you've never met. Amazing!

That's why I probably won't get another one. He was truely a great dog TO US, but I swear we didn't have any guests to the house for 11 years! After he died, I'd invite people over and they'd be like, "wow we never seen the inside of your house before!"
I hated taking him to the vet too. The assistants and receptionist treated him like such a horror, it was like he didn't want him there. But he actually behaved there...He would give smooches to the vet, but nobody else would go near him.
What color was he? It’s not right that they treated y’all like that, but, in my experience, staff may have been very afraid. The ones I saw just couldn’t be trusted & you didn’t get much warning. And since they’re such large powerful dogs, they can do a lot of damage quickly.

I had no idea that owning six German Shepherds made you a certified expert on the entire breed! To the point that you can diagnose issues in dogs and owners you've never met. Amazing!
Maybe you missed the part where I said I had a LIFETIME of experience with the breed. Not just owning, but learning as much as I could about them over many years, working to train, and teaching others about them BECAUSE of my love of the breed.

One of the reasons they get a bad rap, as they have here on this thread by a couple of posters, is because people don't understand them or what it takes to own them. I am trying to help, not so much the posters I've quoted, but OTHERS who said they were interested in the breed. So they'll have a successful experience with them.

But thanks for the snark anyway!

Maybe you missed the part where I said I had a LIFETIME of experience with the breed. Not just owning, but learning as much as I could about them over many years, working to train, and teaching others about them BECAUSE of my love of the breed.

One of the reasons they get a bad rap, as they have here on this thread by a couple of posters, is because people don't understand them or what it takes to own them. I am trying to help, not so much the posters I've quoted, but OTHERS who said they were interested in the breed. So they'll have a successful experience with them.

But thanks for the snark anyway!
I like the advice I’ve gotten from you and that I’ve seen you give others regarding dogs. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter