WDW and DL Pirates to change Redhead scene

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, honestly never heard that be an issue but perhaps it is how it is used. I certainly would see if using it as like a greeting "Hey Female" - that all you are is a female and not an individual person as not being cool (though I would think it would be the same if one said "Hey Woman")

Yep. You've got it. Its used as a dismissive. To the point that single women won't respond to men who use it in online dating - its a huge red flag. Cringy for sure. I don't expect that everyone would know it, just letting you know, that a small subset of people have polluted it. But that happens ALL the time for things that shouldn't be. It still is, though:(

I'm certain I'm doing a bad job explaining, but the use of "female" is like some dudes who are looking for a 50s wife and someone to reproduce with. Female as a describer is of course, fine!

We're getting off topic so I'll leave it at this: as a woman I don't appreciate being referred to as a "female". I am a female human, a.k.a. a woman. I don't speak for all women but I can tell you every woman I am friends with feels the same.

Just a pro tip.

To get back on topic, I'm glad Disney is keeping with Walt's vision of an ever-changing, constantly growing and improving theme park. This scene has to go. It's also fatphobic, in my opinion. Glad to see what they come up with to improve this great classic ride.

Fatphobic??? How is it fatphobic? Now we can't have fat women being portrayed? Let's change every ride to include just stick figures, with no gender, so no one gets offended. PS-I am not a thin woman and I don't get my feathers ruffled by every character trait that people "should" be able to laugh at. What's happened to our country?

I absolutely disagree.

with which part :confused3

do you mean you can't separate the artist from the art? That is fine and I understand - but I still see there being a difference between an offensive person executing inoffensive art and an inoffensive person creating offensive art

Welp, agree to disagree. This scene is outdated for modern audiences. Disney made that call. Done.

I don't respond to "PC" issues. Not really sure why in a forum that says "no politics" this can be brought up as a positive or as a negative, so I don't.

Saying "politically correct" is NOT talking about politics. They are very different. No one is bring up politics on here, so lets keep it that way.

Is this a joke? Female is a "red flag"? Every woman I know, realizes they are females and they are OK with it.

Of course! For goodness sake...

But when men call women "female this" and "female that" it is NOT a good look. Are you single? Do you have any single male friends that use that in a dismissive way? If not, you're cool, but I promise, it's a thing.

Saying "politically correct" is NOT talking about politics. They are very different. No one is bring up politics on here, so lets keep it that way.

When its used as some kind of slur, sure seems political...but I totally agree, this forum SHOULDN'T be political, and we should all keep it that way:) That was the point I was trying to make:) Its all good, we're all here for WDW goodness:)

"politically correct" is as apolitical as "deplorables," which is why it's fine to say that only deplorables are upset about these changes. Cue the countdown to the "Make Pirates Great Again" hats.

By the way, calling someone a deplorable can seem as reductive and offensive as calling someone a female. You might be deplorable, but this does not define you.

tumblr_ollpiz2bAm1qzg3f8o3_r1_500.gif

Last edited:
with which part :confused3

do you mean you can't separate the artist from the art? That is fine and I understand - but I still see there being a difference between an offensive person executing inoffensive art and an inoffensive person creating offensive art

I can definitely distinguish the artist from the art. I am not offended by the ride. At all. I think that if one were offended by the auction scene, they would also be offended by JD's likeness in the ride. JD is representing the Disney brand. They both relate to abuse of women. It's picking and choosing what to be offended about.

But there's only two possible reasons for the change.

either

1. P.C. hippies have forced Disney's hand

or

2. Disney decided to change it because of the negative message it portrayed

or 3. Disney thinks they can make a boat-load of money off the introduction of a strong female pirate character in the ride.

or a combination of the above. but there's no way that #3 isn't in play here. spaceballs the flamethrower is coming.

Of course! For goodness sake...

But when men call women "female this" and "female that" it is NOT a good look. Are you single? Do you have any single male friends that use that in a dismissive way? If not, you're cool, but I promise, it's a thing.

No, I am married with children but I have never heard the word female being negative. I don't see it as a slang either. As a female, I just want to say I have never been discriminated against in any way and can hold my own. I work for a government agency and myself and my fellow 3 supervisors are all female. Personally, I think it's great being a female in this country.

No, I am married with children but I have never heard the word female being negative. I don't see it as a slang either. As a female, I just want to say I have never been discriminated against in any way and can hold my own. I work for a government agency and myself and my fellow 3 supervisors are all female. Personally, I think it's great being a female in this country.

I think this county is great too! It's certainly not perfect though, nor all its citizens. I work in high finance as a subject matter expert - I've had the opportunity to speak all over the US and the EU (my areas of expertise), so I can hold my own too and have never felt discriminated against...and that's a whole lot of privilege. But the use of "female" as a dismissive IS a thing, just like mansplaining is a thing. If you haven't encountered it - count your lucky stars, but don't dismiss other's experiences, that's all:)

Totally OT though - so back to the redhead - who I think it going to be great in the next chapter of POTC! Yeah! Brightside!

Is this battle still raging? :rotfl2:

You can pretty safely assume it's not "political correctness" ruining your thirty seconds (or however long) part of POTC.

Marketing. The blog post ties in this change with introducing Barbarossa to the ride. It's much more likely Disney, a profit-driven entity, is doing this to capture MORE people who want to see "the redhead" as an active pirate, which leaves it open to future franchises.

Where's the evidence of "PC hippies circling WDW" and pressuring the change?
Point me to any evidence anyone has of this beyond their speculative imagination and confirmation bias.

They didn't change their plans for HoP despite online petitions and a LOT of outcry.

Why does anyone here actually believe this is a move solely based in political correctness, suddenly, out of nowhere, instead of
1) an old ride that needs a refresh,
2) timed perfectly with yet another movie,
3) along with an opportunity to introduce a female pirate, and all the merch that goes along with it

Again, evidence. Show me the evidence. Because for however long this ride has been open, allllll of the people who have said "well I don't know anybody who's complained in the last 50 years!!1!11!" -- that's exactly the point. Nobody complained! There's tons of off-color crap in all things Disney. You think the company cherrypicked ONE thing to "fix" with no other motivation?

I can definitely distinguish the artist from the art. I am not offended by the ride. At all. I think that if one were offended by the auction scene, they would also be offended by JD's likeness in the ride. JD is representing the Disney brand. They both relate to abuse of women. It's picking and choosing what to be offended about.

I would agree if is was JD being represented but it isn't- it is the character Jack Sparrow

I do agree about the issues as far as JD and he (the person) being connected to Disney and that being problematic

Ok, sorry for going a bit OT

Is this battle still raging? :rotfl2:

You can pretty safely assume it's not "political correctness" ruining your thirty seconds (or however long) part of POTC.

Marketing. The blog post ties in this change with introducing Barbarossa to the ride. It's much more likely Disney, a profit-driven entity, is doing this to capture MORE people who want to see "the redhead" as an active pirate, which leaves it open to future franchises.

Where's the evidence of "PC hippies circling WDW" and pressuring the change?
Point me to any evidence anyone has of this beyond their speculative imagination and confirmation bias.

They didn't change their plans for HoP despite online petitions and a LOT of outcry.

Why does anyone here actually believe this is a move solely based in political correctness, suddenly, out of nowhere, instead of
1) an old ride that needs a refresh,
2) timed perfectly with yet another movie,
3) along with an opportunity to introduce a female pirate, and all the merch that goes along with it

Again, evidence. Show me the evidence. Because for however long this ride has been open, allllll of the people who have said "well I don't know anybody who's complained in the last 50 years!!1!11!" -- that's exactly the point. Nobody complained! There's tons of off-color crap in all things Disney. You think the company cherrypicked ONE thing to "fix" with no other motivation?
1. It doesn't need a refresh and just had a 4.5 month refurb last year. All of the animatronics were updated during that time. Several other rides need work before this one.
2. This change has nothing to do with the movie. If it does show me where and how.
3. I can see this but I truly don't believe that's their only motivation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter