WDW and DL Pirates to change Redhead scene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if anyone else brought this up but the concept of the new scene doesn't make sense to me? Why are the pirates auctioning off the goods to other pirates?
It hasn't been brought up here but it has been elsewhere.

If we are at the point in society that using the terms male and female are deemed offensive, it really shows that you'll never make everyone happy and someone will always be offended no matter what.

I know,

a woman = a female. I don't know how she was offended by being called a "Female". I don't care if people call me a "Male". She has just proven my point about how some people are too emotional/sensitive and also how some are too P.C..

It came because why else would they change this specific scene? I'm all for plussing and making things better but there are numerous other rides that need it more than pirates.

I don't disagree with you about redirected attention, but we can't accurately pinpoint motivation outside of what was shared. If you are connected with the company and those that made the choice and know otherwise that makes sense, but for everyone else it is speculation. A speculation that seemed to be igniting passions and misguiding others. There's so much about Disney that isn't "pc" per say, that it leads to taking the alteration at face-value and not infering otherwise. I completely understand why people are disappointed, just dislike seeing inaccuracy lead to unnecessary dispute. Hope that makes sense. They just had a new movie come out based on the ride, so it isn't surprising that they are tweaking the ride yet again in the wake of changes they've already completed. People feel strongly about this change more than some of the others it appears. Someone started a petition even.

We're getting off topic so I'll leave it at this: as a woman I don't appreciate being referred to as a "female". I am a female human, a.k.a. a woman. I don't speak for all women but I can tell you every woman I am friends with feels the same.

Just a pro tip.

To get back on topic, I'm glad Disney is keeping with Walt's vision of an ever-changing, constantly growing and improving theme park. This scene has to go. It's also fatphobic, in my opinion. Glad to see what they come up with to improve this great classic ride.

Every woman I know sees being called "female" as a huge red flag.

Not sure if anyone else brought this up but the concept of the new scene doesn't make sense to me? Why are the pirates auctioning off the goods to other pirates?

I am sure they will have a storyline. Maybe that is all that was plundered and then they bid on who gets what ( and then use the proceeds for a pizza party or something)

It came because why else would they change this specific scene? I'm all for plussing and making things better but there are numerous other rides that need it more than pirates.

The scene is simply outdated and needed to be modernized...we scream for the VERY same at Epcot - the principle still applies. Move on.

I am sure they will have a storyline. Maybe that is all that was plundered and then they bid on who gets what ( and then use the proceeds for a pizza party or something)

Some people may not like that they plundered it. Maybe Disney can say that "They bought it fair and square at Wal-Mart" and then "They decided to return it at the customer service desk... with a receipt of course."

They'll have to add in some gray Wal-mart bags and give the auctioneer a blue vest to really sell it.

Of course no one, but Disney truly knows why they are removing the controversial elements. But there's only two possible reasons for the change.

either

1. P.C. hippies have forced Disney's hand

or

2. Disney decided to change it because of the negative message it portrayed

---

Either way, I don't like the decision. Sure, people will still keep going on the attraction. Because even with all of the changes it's still one of the best rides in the park. But where does the changes end? Will there be anything from people's childhood memories that remain? Or will it be like Universal who seems to have no loyalty.

There's so many attractions that could be changed if everything has to be totally P.C. Is Haunted Mansion going to be changed as well? It tells the story of a woman who likes to kill off her husbands for their money. A person is even shown hanging from a noose at the beginning of the attraction.

It's probably not just one thing

Maybe they have had some complaints, maybe Iger just doesn't like it, maybe they see an opportunity to market a female pirate, maybe the scene needs maintenance and it seems like good time to execute a plan the have been thinking about for years, maybe a combination of stuff

Every woman I know sees being called "female" as a huge red flag.

Honestly curious about this as I have literally never heard of this. I just asked my wife and neither has she and sees being a female just what biologically she is and would have no issue

I try to be sensitive to these things and involved with some stuff at work looking at how to to have equal treatment for women (He for She, etc) but I have never heard of that being an issue

Ok this is purely out of curiosity. If anyone is offended by the auction scene, are they also offended by the spousal abuse allegations of Johnny Depp?

that is a little different in that is more the question "can you separate the art from the artist" ... in this case it is more the art is what is offensive not the artist

I thoroughly enjoy all things Disney because they provide a respite from the problems, struggles, and worries of my life and career. Disney parks provide a complete get away. I spend money to go to the parks because they were designed to bring us into a place removed from the things going on in the outside world. They are immersive and fantasy. The characters, stories, rides, sounds, smells, and sights are designed to make us smile, laugh, love, and in some cases even get a little teary-eyed.

The constant kowtowing toward the PC world by Iger and company has started to drag the park experience back toward the real world (Captain Beatty would be proud). This entire discussion is case in point. If I don't like something or someone, I elect to ignore it or them. Heck; I have elected to hit the ignore button on some people on this site, and I fully expect and understand that others have done the same to me. I just don't get the entire push for acceptance unless you don't accept the things we want you to accept then we won't accept you because you are an evil person not worthy of being accepted thing. To me, it is sad that the “Happiest Place on Earth” is now becoming the “Happiest PC Place on Earth.”

If we want to take every ride in the most literal sense, we must also demand the following changes:

Dumbo - Animal cruelty and the racist overtones if the crows
Haunted Mansion - Celebration of murderous acts and self-harm
Splash Mountian - More racist overtones
Peter Pan - Native American stereotypes
Frozen - Blatantly ignores the culture of Norway
The Jungle Cruise - Tons if stereotypes
The Country Bear Jamboree – Oops, nevermind, it is more than acceptable to make fun of hillbilly southerners. Either that or it is just a silly show about a group of bears. I never can tell.

And the list goes on and on, feel free to add any other examples. The point is if we wanted to we could be offended by almost anything. The entire Stitch experience offends me, but I have elected not to go there. If they change it all, there will be nothing left but the real world.

Last edited:
As far as I'm concerned, Disney lost all credibility when they limited my ability to smoke anywhere I wanted in the parks. It made me feel like Walt! Second hand smoke never bothered me, and PC sissies who complained about it should just not go to Disneyland!

Millennials are the worst. Especially the emotional female ones.

The scene is simply outdated and needed to be modernized...we scream for the VERY same at Epcot - the principle still applies. Move on.
Now this I disagree with. The scene isn't outdated unless you look at it in a PC point of view. Epcot is just outdated period. Like I said before I stand by that other attractions needed to be updated and changed before pirates did.

Honestly curious about this as I have literally never heard of this. I just asked my wife and neither has she and sees being a female just what biologically she is and would have no issue

I try to be sensitive to these things and involved with some stuff at work looking at how to to have equal treatment for women (He for She, etc) but I have never heard of that being an issue

Its a thing with modern men... the use of "female" is a bit dismissive, IDK, probably the wrong word, but I see it loads, in a not positive way.

Its a thing with modern men... the use of "female" is a bit dismissive, IDK, probably the wrong word, but I see it loads, in a not positive way.

ok, honestly never heard that be an issue but perhaps it is how it is used. I certainly would see if using it as like a greeting "Hey Female" - that all you are is a female and not an individual person as not being cool (though I would think it would be the same if one said "Hey Woman")

Now this I disagree with. The scene isn't outdated unless you look at it in a PC point of view. Epcot is just outdated period. Like I said before I stand by that other attractions needed to be updated and changed before pirates did.

Welp, agree to disagree. This scene is outdated for modern audiences. Disney made that call. Done.

I don't respond to "PC" issues. Not really sure why in a forum that says "no politics" this can be brought up as a positive or as a negative, so I don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter