TSA precheck... Anyone turned down?

you just pay your money, easy right?

Not sure how you felt that an application with a big background check, that states clearly is nonrefundable, is "just pay your money, easy right".

it says i got sent a letter in the mail but im out of town (flew here without being able to use the benefit i paid for by the way) and wont be able to read this mysterious letter in my mailbox for another week. How long do i have to wait to get a straight answer?!?

Seems like it might be just about as long as it takes for you to get home and read your mail.

If ive been denied and waited 2 mobths and they stole my 85 dollars im going to have a fit.

swindled by the US government.

You applied for a program that isn't a guarantee, that clearly states that it's nonrefundable. There's no swindling or stealing.

Are you a nurse, stone-layer, cardboard-box-maker, or other professions where your finger prints might not show up? That's one place to start to wonder about, while you wait to get home from your trip to read your letter.

I THINK I GOT REJECTED for TSA precheck...

Can someone who was approved please tell me something, were you able to see your KTN online when you did status check? Ive been waiting for 2 months to get my approval, you just pay your money, easy right? Not for this girl.
I have no criminal record, no reason whatsoever to think i wouldnt be approved. I have been waiting 60 days to hear any news, was checking my status online and calling for two months straight. They told me to keep checking, keepcalling, they were backed up...I just checked right now and it still says KTN number unassigned and it says i got sent a letter in the mail but im out of town (flew here without being able to use the benefit i paid for by the way) and wont be able to read this mysterious letter in my mailbox for another week. How long do i have to wait to get a straight answer?!? So, allllll you happy approved people out there can you tell me if you were able to get your KTN online in status check or if it was only in letter sent to you? Sorry im extremely aggravated, im sure you can understand. If ive been denied and waited 2 mobths and they stole my 85 dollars im going to have a fit.

Ours took almost 2 months and we applied back before Memorial Day so the backlog is probably worse now. Since you're already on vacation, why not just enjoy yourself and read the letter when you get home. Or maybe try one more time before you print your boarding passes. That way if you see your KTN you could add it to your return flight home, then print the BP.
Unfortunately, none of it is guaranteed. No guarantee to be approved or even after approval and getting a KTN, no guarantee you will always see Precheck on your BP every time. I would think they have to give people a decent reason why one would be rejected. It's a privilege, not a right.
I wouldn't quite call it swindled yet; just typical lack of efficiency by the TSA both inside and outside of the airports.
FWIW, dh is a welder and always has fingerprint issues. When his took longer than the rest of ours, I called to ask if there was a problem with his fingerprints and should we have that repeated. I was told no, there was no problem with obtaining his prints and that they were just backed up due to volume.
So call the help line and explain your situation. They were actually very kind & helpful on the phone. They can probably tell you what the letter says.

Last edited:
I THINK I GOT REJECTED for TSA precheck...

Can someone who was approved please tell me something, were you able to see your KTN online when you did status check? Ive been waiting for 2 months to get my approval, you just pay your money, easy right? Not for this girl.
I have no criminal record, no reason whatsoever to think i wouldnt be approved. I have been waiting 60 days to hear any news, was checking my status online and calling for two months straight. They told me to keep checking, keepcalling, they were backed up...I just checked right now and it still says KTN number unassigned and it says i got sent a letter in the mail but im out of town (flew here without being able to use the benefit i paid for by the way) and wont be able to read this mysterious letter in my mailbox for another week. How long do i have to wait to get a straight answer?!? So, allllll you happy approved people out there can you tell me if you were able to get your KTN online in status check or if it was only in letter sent to you? Sorry im extremely aggravated, im sure you can understand. If ive been denied and waited 2 mobths and they stole my 85 dollars im going to have a fit.

DD applied about 2 weeks ago. Within 24 hours I checked the status for hers and it showed KTN number unassigned and said letter was mailed. About 4 days after that we got an email that her number was available and I was able to sign on and check status and get her number. We got her letter a few days after that.

No idea what is going on with your number but one thing I can say with 100% confidence, you were not swindled.

Applied on September 1st, DH and myself. Mine came back approved in 12 days via email. We are now 50 days and still waiting on my husband's. He has called numerous times and the last time was told it is taking at least 45 days. Today his status is saying a letter will be mailed out, but no number is showing. He has also received no email. Still waiting....

My other half and I applied in early September and received our approval emails and numbers four days later. I wonder if the length of approval time has anything to do with how busy a specific application center is?

I wonder if they do something like randomly pulling every so many applications for a more in-depth review? For instance, 9 will go through with minimal screening but the 10th is pulled for something more involved? Just a wild guess

UPDATE: 54 days after the interview, my husbands number came in this morning.

Applied on September 1st, DH and myself. Mine came back approved in 12 days via email. We are now 50 days and still waiting on my husband's. He has called numerous times and the last time was told it is taking at least 45 days. Today his status is saying a letter will be mailed out, but no number is showing. He has also received no email. Still waiting....

In case anyone is interested, I applied on-line yesterday afternoon for the TSA Pre-check. My appointment was today, but unfortunately, we could not get a strong imprint of my fingerprints. He said it isn't uncommon and doesn't mean I will be denied. If the Government doesn't accept my fingerprint image as is, they will go to a more in-depth background check; which will naturally take longer. I will let everyone know the timeframe for when I am approved . . . or denied . . . for future historical reference. :o

I went through the application process on a Wednesday and received my KTN on Monday. I was shocked how fast it was!

In case anyone is interested, I applied on-line yesterday afternoon for the TSA Pre-check. My appointment was today, but unfortunately, we could not get a strong imprint of my fingerprints. He said it isn't uncommon and doesn't mean I will be denied. If the Government doesn't accept my fingerprint image as is, they will go to a more in-depth background check; which will naturally take longer. I will let everyone know the timeframe for when I am approved . . . or denied . . . for future historical reference. :o

It has now been less than 24 hours since my in-person appointment and I am in "Eligibility Determined" status [KTN unassigned] with the standard language that TSA has mailed a letter regarding my eligibility determination. I feel like this is a contest I have either lost or won, but don't know the results! :crazy2:

I had the same issue re: the fingerprints. I did get approved but DH (who applied the same time I did) got his approval right away, mine took longer.

My husband and I went in late August to have our interview and fingerprints. My husband had his KTN in 24 hours. I didn't get mine until 9 weeks later. I did keep calling and checking in. They said that if it has been 45 days and you have not received your KTN that a phone call will "expedite" your application.

It has now been less than 24 hours since my in-person appointment and I am in "Eligibility Determined" status [KTN unassigned] with the standard language that TSA has mailed a letter regarding my eligibility determination. I feel like this is a contest I have either lost or won, but don't know the results! :crazy2:

I finally received an email from TSA this morning indicating that I was eligible and my KTN was assigned [I had been checking periodically for several days after "Eligibility Determined" status but KTN was 'unassigned']. So a total of 4 days from the time I applied and 3 days from the time I had my meeting. I'm pretty impressed.

DH & I had our interviews at the same time on June 8th. His KTN was showing by the 11th, 3 days later. He got his letter today. It's now 10 days later, mine still shows as under review!

1) Mine took 1-day, as I was already listed by two airlines, due to my Frequent Flier status.
. . . I was issued Pre-Check on my tickets quite a long time ago, without applying for it.
. . . This was a benefit of FF-travel-levels on two carriers.
2) MrsRustyScupper approval took about nine days.
3) We applied well in advance of our trip, so her delay was not an issue.
4) ONLY from what I hear, a denial is done quickly, when applicable.

bringing this thread back to life....

DH and I enrolled online the other week and went in for the interview this past Saturday, 2/4. I just checked online today, 2/6, for status and like riduvall, i have the Eligibility Determined status now along with the note that a letter will be sent out in 10 days. I'm hoping for an email or an update in the next few days (but boy, am i impatient! LOL).

just curious to see if anyone who has been approved for pre-tsa check in....if you've had issues using it for an existing reservation? or maybe not having it print on your boarding pass?

just curious to see if anyone who has been approved for pre-tsa check in....if you've had issues using it for an existing reservation? or maybe not having it print on your boarding pass?
We did not. We had an existing reservation when we got it and had no problem adding it. Since we enrolled we have had it on every flight

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter