TSA precheck... Anyone turned down?

focusondisney

DIS Veteran
DH & I had our interviews at the same time on June 8th. His KTN was showing by the 11th, 3 days later. He got his letter today. It's now 10 days later, mine still shows as under review! I'm getting nervous, lol! I wonder if they're having trouble with my fingerprints. I'm a nurse; we use
fingerprints to access our narcotic dispenser. I usually have to use the backup method because it won't read my prints. I also know a few other coworkers who have needed official fingerprints for some other stuff. They have all had issues & needed multiple repeat prints taken. They have been told this is pretty common for health care workers due to frequent hand washing or repeated computer work which can both sort of wear away your prints. I was actually surprised the interviewer just took the 1 set.

So has anyone had any issues with getting their precheck approval? Anyone taken longer than 10 days for their approval to show up on the website?? I'm just trying to anticipate what I can expect next. Thanks!!

I'm a fingerprint tech and I see prints that get rejected all the time. And unfortunately that can really slow things down when it comes to processing things like precheck and other background checks. If poor quality prints is your problem you should get a letter in the mail soon saying you need to go try again. I know they aren't supposed to speculate on whether or not your prints will pass but you can always tell them ahead of time that you usually have issues with your prints and they might try to get better image(though they SHOULD be getting the best one possible anyways!)

DH took 2 weeks to process and post a KTN (mine was 2 days in comparison, with interviews on the same day.) He did have some issues getting one of his hands to fingerprint clearly. He's also a dual citizen, so I wondered if that took some processing time as well.

I'm a fingerprint tech and I see prints that get rejected all the time. And unfortunately that can really slow things down when it comes to processing things like precheck and other background checks. If poor quality prints is your problem you should get a letter in the mail soon saying you need to go try again. I know they aren't supposed to speculate on whether or not your prints will pass but you can always tell them ahead of time that you usually have issues with your prints and they might try to get better image(though they SHOULD be getting the best one possible anyways!)

Thanks! I was waiting for the agent to say he needed to repeat them, but he said they were good. So I didn't question him. Maybe I should have! After spending 4 hours there as a walk in getting the interview, I hope they have a way to get me in quicker if I just need to redo my prints.

Thanks! I was waiting for the agent to say he needed to repeat them, but he said they were good. So I didn't question him. Maybe I should have! After spending 4 hours there as a walk in getting the interview, I hope they have a way to get me in quicker if I just need to redo my prints.

eeeeeeek That's a long wait! If you can, make an appointment, though I know some sites are very very backed up. I was lucky and our local office isn't one of those. I waited maybe 10 minutes at the most. Good luck!

DH took 2 weeks to process and post a KTN (mine was 2 days in comparison, with interviews on the same day.) He did have some issues getting one of his hands to fingerprint clearly. He's also a dual citizen, so I wondered if that took some processing time as well.

Thanks! I was hoping to hear some stories like that: one person clearing right away & the other took a little longer but still got approved. Did your DH have to go back for repeat fingerprints, or did they just have issues with his initial set? No dual citizenship, so it can't be that for me. I'm a good citizen: vote all the time, my DH usually only votes in presidential elections. Maybe they don't li,e who I vote for?? ;)

Although, I did get my first speeding ticket in March of 2015, after 40 years of driving. Hope they're not holding that against me.....:scared1:

eeeeeeek That's a long wait! If you can, make an appointment, though I know some sites are very very backed up. I was lucky and our local office isn't one of those. I waited maybe 10 minutes at the most. Good luck!

Thanks! We looked into an appointment, but the first 1 wasn't til end of July. We decided to do walk in coz we were on vacation with a no plans for the day. That took care of that day!!! LOL!! If I have to go back & get them redone without an appointment, at least I know the location & set up now. We had arrived about 15 minutes after they opened. There were about 10 walks ins before us plus full schedule of appointments. If I have to go back, I'll get there well before they open .

Thanks again for the help!!

Did your DH have to go back for repeat fingerprints, or did they just have issues with his initial set?

He didn't have to go back - she had a hard time getting an approval on one hand. She looked at it and said it was as perfect a set as she had seen and didn't understand why the computer kept saying it wasn't a good printing. She overrode it somehow.

We did our processing in May the week after there were all the TSA waiting line horror stories. I read somewhere that May applications more than doubled previous months, so I wonder if they are just really busy with processing.

I would think denials would be a rarity. Why? Because everyone in my family has been getting automatic TSA-Pre Check on every single flight from multiple carriers for the past couple of years. None of us ever signed up, never finger printed etc. So I would think that if they just hand it out without checks then denials for those paying would be rare.

I really want to do this can anyone guide me on cost and what/where I'd have to go

I had to wait eight days from my interview before receiving my KTN online. The letter from TSA also took a while to arrive in the mail, maybe about two weeks after the online notification. I do not recall any issues with the fingerprint process, just assumed that they were struggling with more applicants as the word got out about crazy security lines at certain airports.

He didn't have to go back - she had a hard time getting an approval on one hand. She looked at it and said it was as perfect a set as she had seen and didn't understand why the computer kept saying it wasn't a good printing. She overrode it somehow.

We did our processing in May the week after there were all the TSA waiting line horror stories. I read somewhere that May applications more than doubled previous months, so I wonder if they are just really busy with processing.

Thanks again. I didn't realize the computer would reject them if they weren't adequate. So maybe that's not it.

I would think denials would be a rarity. Why? Because everyone in my family has been getting automatic TSA-Pre Check on every single flight from multiple carriers for the past couple of years. None of us ever signed up, never finger printed etc. So I would think that if they just hand it out without checks then denials for those paying would be rare.

Good point! We almost always gent the extra leg room seats on JetBlue so we get pre check with that. I may be sorry I applied! :rolleyes:

I had to wait eight days from my interview before receiving my KTN online. The letter from TSA also took a while to arrive in the mail, maybe about two weeks after the online notification. I do not recall any issues with the fingerprint process, just assumed that they were struggling with more applicants as the word got out about crazy security lines at certain airports.

I'm at 11 days now. Still no determination listed online. The agent processed me first & DH right after me. His number was listed after 3 days. He got his letter yesterday. That's why I'm a little concerned. If it was just volume, wouldn't his be delayed too??

Is the date listed on your status page a current date, or is it from when you applied?

I know DH's was stuck on 5.16 for the longest time. It at least gave me an idea that the status page wasn't being updated in real time. The date never did change until 5.31 when his KTN was posted.

It still shows the date I applied. I just checked my DH's page. It shows the date he applied, not the date he was approved & he has already received his letter. Thanks for trying tho. The website says call if you don 't hear from them in 30 days. Hope I don't need have to wait that long. I'm so impatient, lol!!!

The same thing happened to me. DH got his approval within 24 hours, mine was "under review" for a couple of days. I called the office where I had my interview to ask if there was a problem. The person I spoke to said that whoever reviewed my application just forgot to click "Approved". He took care of it while on the phone with me.

My family of 4 went in for our interview on 6/9. Three of us had our numbers within 24 hrs. The fourth is still waiting. Date on site hasn't undated since 6/11. Hoping that number comes soon as we fly on 7/8.

Last edited:
I got my number in 2 days and it took my husband nearly 3 weeks. no explanation or idea as to why there was a difference (he even went first in the interview!) but they say it can take 30 days.

When I went for my appointment, the examiner was on the phone trying to explain to the caller that she could not tell the caller why they were rejected for the TSA Precheck, that all they did was to process the application and the TSA determined who qualified and the rejection letter outlined his only options. So I was a little nervous, but everything went smoothly. The appointment was on a Friday morning and the examiner said to check the website on Monday for my KTN and sure enough, Monday morning it was listed on website. So I know that some people do get rejected.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter