TSA precheck... Anyone turned down?

DH and I applied yesterday. We had our numbers when I logged in at 10 am this morning.

Glad you got yours so quickly. I decided to call just now instead of waiting til Friday. Got a helpful woman who said they are still waiting for my threat assessment to come back. As I said before, I am an RN, licensed in NY & have to report felonies, etc to keep that up. I have no criminal background, only 1 traffic ticket in 41 years of driving. Have never been anywhere out if the US except Canada & haven't even been there in years. I still don't get why it would take so long for a threat assessment. No religious or organization affiliations to report on. Anyway, this woman said that they have to wait the full 30 days, which will be the 9th. She said call back on the 10th (this Sunday so I will call Monday) & they can "write a ticket" to escalate it up for review. At least now I now what the next step will be as I have NO confidence my status will change before Sunday.

Updating my precheck saga: I called on July 11th as instructed. The woman said she "elevated my application up for review". Checked online daily for an update. FINALLY got approved this Saturday, July 23. That was 45 days after I applied & 12 days after the review request. I know there has been a big increase in applications, but that's a very long turn around time for someone with no out of country travel, no legal/ criminal record, decades long stable housing & employment records & no social media presence. Guess I shouldn't have expected anything different from the TSA.

Vgrandy, did you ever get your last approval?

Last edited:
I know you're just happy it's over and you're approved, but did you ever find out why it had taken so long? Also, if you hadn't called about it, do you think it would still be under review?

I know you're just happy it's over and you're approved, but did you ever find out why it had taken so long? Also, if you hadn't called about it, do you think it would still be under review?

No, they would just say they were still waiting for my security threat review to be completed. The website link says you can check your status, but that never changed from being reviewed until Saturday when it finnaly showed approved. It always said "status as of June 9", the day after I applied. My own theory is it was sitting on a desk somewhere & somehow lost/ misplaced. And finally processed when it was elevated after the 30 days. I think I would have waited forever if I hadn't followed up. There is no way in the world it took them over 6 weeks to check me out as a security threat. The only 2 questionable things about me: I got my first speeding ticket about 15 months ago. It was reduced to a parking ticket as is pretty standard around here. The other not normal thing: I have no social media accounts - no Facebook, Twitter, snapchat, whatever else. Pretty much only Disboards & MDE online, lol! Maybe that was the problem - must be something off about me if I don't Facebook, right?! Lol! :rotfl2:

I don't have Facebook and all those others, too. I've often wondered, in this day and age whether that's a pro or a con.

Not yet. since we were away we didn't call back until around day 38/40. We were told it was being escalated and we should have it by 8/1.

On another note, the 1 person in our family that is still waiting for her number got precheck with the rest if us anyway when we flew this month! Five minutes to get through security at both BOS and DTW .

Updating my precheck saga: I called on July 11th as instructed. The woman said she "elevated my application up for review". Checked online daily for an update. FINALLY got approved this Saturday, July 23. That was 45 days after I applied & 12 days after the review request. I know there has been a big increase in applications, but that's a very long turn around time for someone with no out of country travel, no legal/ criminal record, decades long stable housing & employment records & no social media presence. Guess I shouldn't have expected anything different from the TSA.

Yes, they are just as annoying outside an airport as they are inside one.
Ds16 and I applied in late May just before Memorial Day weekend and it took a solid month to get our back. Dh went on June 15 and we still haven't gotten it. I called last week and they said they would write a ticket on it but still nothing. I'm glad I applied so early. We're not flying until late August but it's so frustrating. I too have visions of piles of paper filling a room with one shmuck there moving extra slowly, and somehow dh's keeps getting put at the bottom.
I can't imagine what a speeding ticket would have to do with you be a national threat to our country. I don't think it actually takes this long to complete one person's file. I think they're just overwhelmed with requests and they can't keep up with the volume. We applied at a time when it was all over the news but ds & I went in as a walk in. Dh didn't want to wait around an hour like we did so he waited almost a month for his appointment time. By then they were swamped.

Vgrandy & ruadisneyfan2, sorry to hear you're both still waiting for approval. Hope you both get resolved soon. I get bring behind due to the increased volume. But you would think the timeline would be the same for everyone. It is annoying hearing about others (even members of your own family) who get approved in as little as 2 - 3 days and you have no idea what the hold up is for yourself.

Vgrandy & ruadisneyfan2, sorry to hear you're both still waiting for approval. Hope you both get resolved soon. I get bring behind due to the increased volume. But you would think the timeline would be the same for everyone. It is annoying hearing about others (even members of your own family) who get approved in as little as 2 - 3 days and you have no idea what the hold up is for yourself.
Our friends applied last Oct, long before it was discussed in the news, and they said no way was it a couple of days. I felt better then. Still, ds16 has no records except going to school and needing speech when he was in preschool. lol. It's not like he's worked 5 different jobs in different states, had a security clearance with the US Army, etc. There shouldn't be much to read about him or any big decisions to make.

My DD and I got our approval within 24 hours - still waiting on my husband. Hope it comes before we travel. If not my DD and I will take carry ons and let DH go through regular line. Seems crazy though - when we applied the person said my DHs prints were perfect.

We have been waiting on our daughter to get her KTN. We all applied on June 10. DH and I had ours within a matter of a few days. She finally got her number today. And for some reason, they told her that her application date was actually June 15, not the 10th, saying that was the day the enrollment center sent it in. Not sure why her info wouldn't have been sent at the same time since we all applied together, but who knows. Given June 15 as her date, that makes it day 49. She called at the 30 day mark and again at 45 days and was told both times they were just overwhelmed with applicants. At any rate, I am just glad she got it in time for our upcoming flight.

We finally got dh's KTN yesterday.
He applied June 15. I called them on Monday and was told that when they say 45 days, that means 45 BUSINESS days. :rotfl2:

I applied a few days ago and did my in-person yesterday. The online status showed they received it, and now tonight it says "Eligibility Determined" and telling me I'll get a letter in the next 10 days.

The problem is that no KTN is being shown. That indicates to me that I might be getting denied for some reason, as everyone seems to get their KTN online. I've never been in trouble, no arrests, etc. Got a speeding ticket for going 10 mph over the limit 17 years ago.

I did realize today I may have made an error on the application. It asked if I've ever had a different last name, and I said no. I completely forgot that I'm adopted and my name was changed when I was a child. My birth certificate was changed to my current last name. Sounds odd to forget, but I was young and don't really think of it unless something specific comes up to remind me.

Anyway, has anyone else seen an "Eligibility Determined" message online with no KTN, but still end up getting approved?

Jay

I applied a few days ago and did my in-person yesterday. The online status showed they received it, and now tonight it says "Eligibility Determined" and telling me I'll get a letter in the next 10 days.

The problem is that no KTN is being shown. That indicates to me that I might be getting denied for some reason, as everyone seems to get their KTN online. I've never been in trouble, no arrests, etc. Got a speeding ticket for going 10 mph over the limit 17 years ago.

I did realize today I may have made an error on the application. It asked if I've ever had a different last name, and I said no. I completely forgot that I'm adopted and my name was changed when I was a child. My birth certificate was changed to my current last name. Sounds odd to forget, but I was young and don't really think of it unless something specific comes up to remind me.

Anyway, has anyone else seen an "Eligibility Determined" message online with no KTN, but still end up getting approved?

Jay
I would call them and ask if your hunch is correct and see what to do. Don't wait for the letter in the mail.
Dh is a welder & often has trouble with any devices that read fingerprints. When his was taking so long, I asked if there was an issue with his fingerprints and was told No, they were fine and their computer would tell them if that was the problem.

Jay

Hi. I had my interview Wednesday and the "eligibility determined" but no ktn assigned since Friday. Last night I got an email from tsa and checked today and had my ktn! So hopefully that will be your experience!

Jay
Within 24 hours of appointment DH received an e-mail that stated "Eligibility Determined" without saying what the determination was. When I received my determination I got an e-mail first that stated I was approved. DH never received that e-mail. My KTN number was available online within 4 days after the appointment , his was available within 3 days. I found it odd they were handled differently but at least everything worked out well.

I THINK I GOT REJECTED for TSA precheck...

Can someone who was approved please tell me something, were you able to see your KTN online when you did status check? Ive been waiting for 2 months to get my approval, you just pay your money, easy right? Not for this girl.
I have no criminal record, no reason whatsoever to think i wouldnt be approved. I have been waiting 60 days to hear any news, was checking my status online and calling for two months straight. They told me to keep checking, keepcalling, they were backed up...I just checked right now and it still says KTN number unassigned and it says i got sent a letter in the mail but im out of town (flew here without being able to use the benefit i paid for by the way) and wont be able to read this mysterious letter in my mailbox for another week. How long do i have to wait to get a straight answer?!? So, allllll you happy approved people out there can you tell me if you were able to get your KTN online in status check or if it was only in letter sent to you? Sorry im extremely aggravated, im sure you can understand. If ive been denied and waited 2 mobths and they stole my 85 dollars im going to have a fit.

swindled by the US government.
DH & I had our interviews at the same time on June 8th. His KTN was showing by the 11th, 3 days later. He got his letter today. It's now 10 days later, mine still shows as under review! I'm getting nervous, lol! I wonder if they're having trouble with my fingerprints. I'm a nurse; we use
fingerprints to access our narcotic dispenser. I usually have to use the backup method because it won't read my prints. I also know a few other coworkers who have needed official fingerprints for some other stuff. They have all had issues & needed multiple repeat prints taken. They have been told this is pretty common for health care workers due to frequent hand washing or repeated computer work which can both sort of wear away your prints. I was actually surprised the interviewer just took the 1 set.

So has anyone had any issues with getting their precheck approval? Anyone taken longer than 10 days for their approval to show up on the website?? I'm just trying to anticipate what I can expect next.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter