• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Target December 10% Off Gift Card

OK, so they let you buy Target Gift Cards with Target Gift Cards. Thanks.

In stores, the POS/self-checkout shouldn't give you any problems, but cashiers might hesitate or tell you that you can't do that. One of my local Targets has a sign up at self-checkout for no alcohol or gift card purchases.

Online, I believe you will have to add a non-gift card item to your Target GC order to make paying with a Target GC work.

The Target app won't let you buy a Target GC with a Target GC.

Online, I believe you will have to add a non-gift card item to your Target GC order to make paying with a Target GC work.

Unfortunately this part doesn't work anymore, they closed the loophole in August. Your entire order will be canceled if you are purchasing a GC (entertainment card) and using a Target Gift Card as one of your payment methods.

Unfortunately this part doesn't work anymore, they closed the loophole in August. Your entire order will be canceled if you are purchasing a GC (entertainment card) and using a Target Gift Card as one of your payment methods.

That's true if you're trying to purchase a third-party GC by paying with a Target GC. You can't do that anymore [eta: on Target .com -- you still can in stores]. We're talking about paying for a Target GC with a Target GC. You can still do this on Target .com if you add a non-GC item to your GC order, otherwise the order will get cancelled. The Target app, however, will give you an error message that says you can't do this.

I did this yesterday with 2 Target GCs that I bought off Raise, ordered a $100 Target GC online to consolidate the two cards, and added a few household essential items that I needed anyway to my order. My order wasn't cancelled, and a new $100 Target GC was emailed to me within 20 minutes.

Last edited:

I'm confused. Will ALL gift cards (entertainment cards) be discounted 10% or just Target gift cards?
If it's just the Target cards... let's say I want to buy four $25 Disney cards. Should I buy a $100 Target gift card (for $90) and then use the $100 Target card to buy the four Disney cards?

I'm confused. Will ALL gift cards (entertainment cards) be discounted 10% or just Target gift cards?
If it's just the Target cards... let's say I want to buy four $25 Disney cards. Should I buy a $100 Target gift card (for $90) and then use the $100 Target card to buy the four Disney cards?

Only target GCs will be discounted. And if they are like the past few years, won't be good until the next day

I did this yesterday with 2 Target GCs that I bought off Raise, ordered a $100 Target GC online to consolidate the two cards, and added a few household essential items that I needed anyway to my order. My order wasn't cancelled, and a new $100 Target GC was emailed to me within 20 minutes.

This still works for me also. Just did it yesterday too after buying multiple cards on Raise :)

Only target GCs will be discounted. And if they are like the past few years, won't be good until the next day

But you can go the next day or next or whenever and use your Target gift card to buy a Disney gift card, correct?

But you can go the next day or next or whenever and use your Target gift card to buy a Disney gift card, correct?

Yes, Target GC to Disney GC still works in stores at Target, but YMMV whether an associate or manager will give you trouble about it. If you can go through self checkout, you might be able to save the hassle. Keep in mind that paying with a GC means you cannot stack the discount with a REDcard for another 5% off.

ETA: What @ellie05 says is true. Target has changed its policies regarding gift card purchases several times this year with no warning. So buy only what you're comfortable being "stuck" with.

Yes, Target GC to Disney GC still works in stores at Target, but YMMV whether an associate or manager will give you trouble about it. If you can go through self checkout, you might be able to save the hassle. Keep in mind that paying with a GC means you cannot stack the discount with a REDcard for another 5% off.

ETA: What @ellie05 says is true. Target has changed its policies regarding gift card purchases several times this year with no warning. So buy only what you're comfortable being "stuck" with.

Yup. I'm trying to think whether I would be comfortable with $900 of Target gift cards if I can't get Disney or any other gift card.

Hello All,

Does anyone know if there is a limit? To number of cards? Total value of cards? Is it for fixed priced Target gift cards, or all of them are variable load?

Can i end up buying $5000 worth if i wanted in one transaction?

Thank you.

Hello All,

Does anyone know if there is a limit? To number of cards? Total value of cards? Is it for fixed priced Target gift cards, or all of them are variable load?

Thank you.

Should be variable load (minimum is $10). The limit is $300 in gift cards per household, though I don't know how that would be enforced.

Should be variable load (minimum is $10). The limit is $300 in gift cards per household, though I don't know how that would be enforced.

Max you can put per gift card is $300 in order to get the 10% off. So if you want $5000, you might have to go to 17 different cashiers (unless you get one friendly cashier who will let you do it multiple times). The max I've ever done is $900 and I used 3 different credit cards. I have no idea if they can track by credit card number (like will the computer reject you?)

I I'll either be on a transpacific flight or at an airport on Sunday, so I've set up 4 different target accounts and will pay with 4 different credit cards. I did leave the address on each account the same, which may set off red flags.

Hello All,

Thank you.

Not if you wanted to get 10% off all $5000. If you only want it off the first $300, then yes. But if you want 10% off all $5000, then you'll need to do separate transactions.

Also, I believe all Target gift cards are variable loads. You can put $300 on one gift card to make it easier.

I think people here need to know that if you choose to buy target GC to pay to the GC this method works in stores right now, but that could change overnight. So make sure you are confortable with being stuck with those Target GC.

VERY good advice!

Several hundred dollars worth of Target gift cards would be no big deal for me to use even if I couldn't buy entertainment cards with them, but I'm seeing people planning on buying thousands of dollars worth, but if Target decides to stop the paying for a gift card with a gift card thing (as many other stores have) I can't even imagine being stuck with that much in Target gift cards. Of course I wouldn't want to push the $300 per household limit that far anyway, but that's just me.

One Target near me already shoots you down if you try to pay for entertainment cards (including Disney) with a Target gift card. It's the same store that randomly decided to enforce a 3 like gift cards per customer limit. I had an employee call a manager on that one since I figured he must have misunderstood, but the manager backed him up. I did talk them into letting me buy 6 Disney gift cards since they only had $50 cards that day and they normally carry $100 cards, but it was a hassle. I avoid that location when buying entertainment cards.

Definitely agree that it's cashier/manager dependent...last year with the buy 2 gift cards get $5 back I was driving 30 minutes to the "other" Target b/c the one closest to me enforced a limit. Then, when I had a stack of $5 Target gift cards they wouldn't let me use them for Disney gift cards. So I ended up buying Bose headphones that I gave away. Frustrating but a good learning point (not to waste time and money on that again).

Can the variable load Target GC's be purchased at the self-checkouts? Some places I've shopped only allow those to be rung up by a cashier.

I just saw on Corporate Target.com that the 10% discount lasts all day December 4, while the Target store is open. Online, the discount goes from midnight to 11:59 Pacific Time. They stated clearly that the sale will go on while supplies last, which may be referring to in store inventory. Good luck to everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter