Southwest Airlines 2 free flights credit card offer-What's the catch?

Keep pestering them. I ran into that once, and got an extra free flight, because they took so long to give it to me.

I applied through the link that was posted here to get 2 free tickets. I used the card and my closing date was last week. When I checked my rewards account, I had been credited enough points for 1 flight (19,000). I called to ask about the 2 flights I was supposed to get and he said that nothing on my account indicated I was eligible.

They have now opened an "investigation" and said I will hear by mail in 4-6 weeks.

Anybody else have this problem? Thoughts or suggestions?

THANKYOU for all the input!!!!! I applied- got my card(s) used them-paid off balances right away- closing date Mar 23- got points in acct yesterday- called this a.m. and redeemed them! So easy,SWA rep was GREAT- I got the flights I wanted-(Sept/Oct) and saved 1500.00 with this deal! I am a convert....I too LOVE SWA!!!!!!!:thumbsup2:cool1::banana:
Hope you -all get your points too in time to book your flights!

I applied for my card in February and now have 4 credits for flights that expire on 03/15/12. Under the new program it states "Unlimited reward seats" and "No blackout dates". Is it safe to assume that since my reward was given on 03/15/11 that I will be able to choose any flight as long as there are open seats? My plan is to use my credits for flights Thanksgiving week so it is important to know if there will be limited availability or if there truly are "Unlimited reward seats".

I applied for my card in February and now have 4 credits for flights that expire on 03/15/12. Under the new program it states "Unlimited reward seats" and "No blackout dates". Is it safe to assume that since my reward was given on 03/15/11 that I will be able to choose any flight as long as there are open seats? My plan is to use my credits for flights Thanksgiving week so it is important to know if there will be limited availability or if there truly are "Unlimited reward seats".

Call them and ask. I ran into limited seats. :headache:

We were able to book eight seats PHL-MCO on August 23 with NO problems at all. However, coming home was a different story. My husband and I are staying til 9/6 -- we were very flexible and snagged a return at 2:00 p.m. My daughter and her family were supposed to leave on Sept. 1 --- eight flights with no "eligible" seats. There are blackouts attached to the promotional certificates and they can limit the number of seats on each flight. Her party is 2 adults and 3 children. On September 2, the ONLY flight with more than two seats was departing at 9:00 a.m. (very early with an infant and a toddler - considering Magical Express wants you ready three hours before your flight). My patient and kind son-in-law called customer service for Rapid Rewards and after going through a ladder of supervisors he found out that the certificates were issued under ther "old" terms meaning they expire in one year, do have black-out dates, and limits on the number allowed per flight. However, after pleading his case they are making an exception and they are able to fly out on the 2nd at 11:00 a.m. (better than 9:00 a.m. but not the 7:00 p.m. they wanted). All in all, be flexible, and willing to adapt a little and things can work out for you. Are we happy and satisfied? You betcha -- we redeemed 14 certificates for FREE flights, my daughter is using some of the money she saved and staying in Disney an extra night to get her flight out!!!!

From different boards I have been on, it appears it's when you applied. If you applied in Feb, and got awards, you should have to go by the old rules.
If you want to be considered as getting these in March (did you get points or awards? If points, then it should show up under your points, which is the new plan), then I would think you would only get what they offered in March, which is one ticket. If you would be happy with one, you should be able to trade in your two, under the old plan, to be one without the restrictions. I don't think we can have it both ways.
It does appear that some have had exceptions made, but the more that ask for them, the less of an exception it becomes and the less chance of getting one.
By the way, keep in mind, that when you look at SW seating, your seat is then 'held' for awhile, even once you get out of the url. If you get out of the booking process, and try to go right back in, it will show less available seats. I had to wait for 40 minutes the other night when helping someone book, for the seats we looked at to be put back available. Also, if you are looking for a large amount of people and say you put in 6..they may not have six, but may have 4..it just looks full, because you put it so many people.

It is very confusing because my certificates say "Chase Cert Expire 12 Months - No BO Date - V Class" which leads me to think that since there are no black out dates then it is following the new RR program. I will call SW tomorrow and try to get a definate answer and post back what I am told. Thank you all for your help.

That's correct..none of my old rewards have black out dates. However, they do have limited seats, even though they have award seats each and every day, they may have already been taken by someone. These awards have been like that for as long as I remember. The new point system, on the other hand..each and every seat can be an award seat. Plus, the old ones expire..the new ones don't.

This is what the old awards say:

"This Award has seat restrictions, but no systemwide blackout dates. Please plan ahead when making your flight reservations as certain holiday or peak travel periods will be in high demand and your desired flight may not be available for Award travel."

It is very confusing because my certificates say "Chase Cert Expire 12 Months - No BO Date - V Class" which leads me to think that since there are no black out dates then it is following the new RR program. I will call SW tomorrow and try to get a definate answer and post back what I am told. Thank you all for your help.

From different boards I have been on, it appears it's when you applied. If you applied in Feb, and got awards, you should have to go by the old rules.
If you want to be considered as getting these in March (did you get points or awards? If points, then it should show up under your points, which is the new plan), then I would think you would only get what they offered in March, which is one ticket. If you would be happy with one, you should be able to trade in your two, under the old plan, to be one without the restrictions. I don't think we can have it both ways.
It does appear that some have had exceptions made, but the more that ask for them, the less of an exception it becomes and the less chance of getting one.
By the way, keep in mind, that when you look at SW seating, your seat is then 'held' for awhile, even once you get out of the url. If you get out of the booking process, and try to go right back in, it will show less available seats. I had to wait for 40 minutes the other night when helping someone book, for the seats we looked at to be put back available. Also, if you are looking for a large amount of people and say you put in 6..they may not have six, but may have 4..it just looks full, because you put it so many people.

We can trade "old" awards for "new" ones on a 2-for-1 basis? We have 4 certificates that we can't use for the date we want to return home (no award seats available and the price of that flight is very expensive). I might want to trade them and get 2 free flights and pay for only 2, if that's possible.

No, you can trade two old ones for one old one that has more seats available. THey will still expire. You can pay to have them extended. But that might work for you..you would still get two free seats. I would post the old rules, about using two awards for one better one, but they are not easy to find anymore.

We can trade "old" awards for "new" ones on a 2-for-1 basis? We have 4 certificates that we can't use for the date we want to return home (no award seats available and the price of that flight is very expensive). I might want to trade them and get 2 free flights and pay for only 2, if that's possible.

No, you can trade two old ones for one old one that has more seats available. THey will still expire. You can pay to have them extended. But that might work for you..you would still get two free seats. I would post the old rules, about using two awards for one better one, but they are not easy to find anymore.

I found the page.

http://www.southwest.com/rapid_rewards/freedom_awards.html

You can exchange 2 "standard" awards for one "Freedom" award.

I searched the SW website and found this under the FAQ section: What are the Rapid Rewards Terms and Conditions for Transition?
(Effective March 1, 2011)

After the transition date, Members will no longer have the option to convert two Standard Awards into one Freedom Award.

Standard Awards issued after the transition date will NOT be eligible for reissue beyond their original expiration date.

Rapid Rewards Standard Awards are subject to seat restrictions, and seats will not be available for Standard Award travel on all flights on all days. It may be particularly difficult to secure a seat to popular destinations around holidays such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, President's Day, some weekends during Spring Break, Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day to popular destinations.

I am including the link in case anyone is interested. It is very helpful but took me a while to find.

http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/faqs.html?topic=rapid_rewards

That's a bummer about the Freedom Award.

I wonder what that means about the Standard awards issued after the transition not being eligible for reissue beyond expriation date.. yikes, I guess I need to plan a trip for the one I'll be getting soon.

I searched the SW website and found this under the FAQ section: What are the Rapid Rewards Terms and Conditions for Transition?
(Effective March 1, 2011)

After the transition date, Members will no longer have the option to convert two Standard Awards into one Freedom Award.

Standard Awards issued after the transition date will NOT be eligible for reissue beyond their original expiration date.

Rapid Rewards Standard Awards are subject to seat restrictions, and seats will not be available for Standard Award travel on all flights on all days. It may be particularly difficult to secure a seat to popular destinations around holidays such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, President's Day, some weekends during Spring Break, Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day to popular destinations.

I am including the link in case anyone is interested. It is very helpful but took me a while to find.

http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/faqs.html?topic=rapid_rewards

I booked our flights today. I had 4 certificates. I used 3 certificates for the trip to WDW for the 3 of us and paid OOP for the trip back. Now I have one certificate left over that will probably never get used. Oh, well.

Why didn't you use the other certificate for the trip back? Were there no seats?

Please don't let it go to waste. Make a wish would gladly use it, as will several other organizations...or even a college kid wanting to come home for a visit. So many places can use it.

QUOTE=dbarker;40488327]I booked our flights today. I had 4 certificates. I used 3 certificates for the trip to WDW for the 3 of us and paid OOP for the trip back. Now I have one certificate left over that will probably never get used. Oh, well.[/QUOTE]

No seats were available for the trip home.

I haven't given up hope, though. I will keep calling. Maybe something will be available.

Also, I am going to look into leaving out of Dallas instead of Austin. Maybe I will get a better deal. (still no seats available for the flight home).

FWIW, I hate the fact that you cannot look online yourself to see what is available.

I have a question for everyone that signed up for these offers...How long did you wait for your spending points to be transferred to your SW rapid rewards account? My account closed on the 16th (Saturday) and I assumed that the points would be there no later than Monday. Well, today is Thursday and still nothing. I am getting ready to cancel the card.:mad: Luckily my flights did not go on sale this week but I know it is going to happen soon and I am anxious!:hyper:

I have a question for everyone that signed up for these offers...How long did you wait for your spending points to be transferred to your SW rapid rewards account? My account closed on the 16th (Saturday) and I assumed that the points would be there no later than Monday. Well, today is Thursday and still nothing. I am getting ready to cancel the card.:mad: Luckily my flights did not go on sale this week but I know it is going to happen soon and I am anxious!:hyper:

About 3 weeks from when I used the card the first time - even before my first closing date.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter