Southwest Airlines 2 free flights credit card offer-What's the catch?

We are all set. Had to move around our dates a little, but it is actually better. We are leaving instead of Friday night, Saturday night but instead of flying home on Wednesday, our 15th anniversary, we are flying home Thursday night. I was able to change and add a 1 bedroom at BCV no problem this morning and then called and booked our flights.

I hope I did not come across as being ungrateful or anything about our tickets. This deal was just incredible and is making this anniversary trip almost free for us. We are purchasing our AP's in May, we have DVC and the flight is costing $10.00. Plus we are not cashing in our Disney Visa Rewards for the May trip (we already have almost 400) as we figured we would save them for October. How much really would we earn from June-Oct. This is a trip that my husband and I have been dreaming about for years and I think I was just so worried that if the SW points/reward/credit/certificates did not work out for us, I would just feel terrible. So I may have sounded a bit cranky last night.

The SW rep today was a lot mor friendly than the ones I talked with yesterday. I think that had me a little upset and frustrated too. But then again, they were probably spent because of people like me who did not understand the new booking procedure for these certificates.

Thanks again for everyone who answered questions on this thread and I hope everyone is able to have a great trip using their free flights!!!:goodvibes

To help those still waiting -- here is our timetable -- applied for card on February 20 -- received the card on 2/26 -- first use on 2/26 -- closing date for card 3/6 -- points appeared in our account on 3/17 -- booked flights on 3/18. So everything was done in under a month -- pretty impressive!

I did the offer, my husband did the offer, my daughter did the offer and her husband did the offer. Since we all did it in February, our rewards were granted under the "old" program. Meaning there ARE some flights they cannot be used on. We had a total of eight round trips -- My husband and I were charged $39 per card. My daughter and her husband were charged $59 per card. We all thought the charge was going to be $59 --so we are not complaining.

We called to do the booking since we wanted to travel together going down and we were giving my daughter's family two of the flights. We are flying August 23 -- all seven of us were able to get the flight we wanted going down -- PHL-MCO leaving at 11:20 a.m. My daughter was going to come home on Sept. 1 but there were NO flights at all available. They decided toi stay an extra day and leave on Sept. 2 -- the only flight they could get out is at 9:00 a.m (for five people). It will be an early morning but they are getting an extra day in Disney (only possible because of the FREE flights).
My husband and I are able to fly home on our preferred day and at the exact time we wanted on September 6.

In summation -- we received 16 certificates good for sixteen flights -- we are using 14 certificates which is allowing our family to travel to and from Disney for FREE. Daughter and her husband and three children (10 certificates) and Me and my husband (4 certificates). Plus, we still have two certificates to use in the future (by 3/18/2012). We had to pay five dollars per person for 9/11 fee. Husband and I are flying to and fro at the time we wanted and on the dates we wanted. Daughter's family had to make a minor adjustment but they are saving over $1000. Thank you Southwest Air!

We had a total of eight round trips -- My husband and I were charged $39 per card. My daughter and her husband were charged $59 per card. We all thought the charge was going to be $59 --so we are not complaining. !
I have seen where it says something in small print on the application about the $39 card. I thought if you got that card, you had something different than the other cards. Do you notice anything different from the other cards? One is a signature card and one is a classic. I think you get different amounts of poinst on your anniversary.

I see the fee is now $69 with the newest deal.

We found when hubby canecled his card, a few mos later they 'missed' him and give him another great offer. The one we kept, we got free round trips for every friend we gave a special number to, and they signed up..and they got one round trip as well. I love Chase and SW!

you got an email saying you had the credits???? ugh....our closing date was March 23- I haven't heard anything yet! so anxious.....to pp who got them and booked, how long did you wait from 1st purchase-1st payment to awards in acct?

My DH & I got our cards on 03/01. We made purchases right away. We got the emails about the 2 RT credits on 03/16. Checked rapid reward accounts and they were there. Our first payment date is not until 4/17. Don't worry. You should receive yours soon:):)

The advertised cards are a Signature ($59) and Classic ($39) card and there are differences. My daughter and her husband got the Signature and we feared that we were approved for the Classic but when we called they told us that due to our established credit we were awarded Platinun cards and the fee was set at the lower price -- however, we accrrue points at the same rate as the Signature card.

It sounds like it has differences:
You will first be considered for a Visa Signature card. If you do not qualify for the Signature card, you will automatically be considered for a Visa Platinum card. The Signature and Platinum cards have different credit availability and benefits. For pricing details, please see Pricing & Terms. Once your account is opened, please see Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Program Rules and Regulations and your credit card benefits materials for rewards and benefits details.

The one thing I like about my signature card is I needed a signature visa card to get the last discount off flights that SW offered (it had to say it on the card to qualify). I didn't even know they had different cards.

The advertised cards are a Signature ($59) and Classic ($39) card and there are differences. My daughter and her husband got the Signature and we feared that we were approved for the Classic but when we called they told us that due to our established credit we were awarded Platinun cards and the fee was set at the lower price -- however, we accrrue points at the same rate as the Signature card.

I got a packet in the mail this morning explaining how we accrue points under the new system -- 2 points for every $1 spent on all SW purchaes, 2 points for every $1 spent on all SW Vacation and giftcard purchases and one point for every $1 spent on all other purchases.

Okay, I think I have a new question. I got my points. When I signed up I was supposed to get 16 credits but wound up with 23,500 points, which is fine. But I have 2 old credits from a flight taken. I would like to change those to add to my points. But it says "click here to convert points to credits". That is where I am confused. I would rather convert my credits to points. Should I just call?

I am pretty sure you can only convert points to credits -- Per our enrollment materials: "You will have a one-time option to covert points earned in the new program back into credits from the old program at a rate of 1200 points=1 credit in order to reach a total of 16 credits and redeem them for one standard award."
I'm pretty sure it doesn't go the other way -- credits into points.

Good luck!

Well, why would I do that??? The way it is now, I have enough points for 2 round trip flights if I pay $97 each way. Which is very likely. I was planning on $79 each way, which I have seen 3 months out. With paying $97 each way I would be using a little over 11,000 points so for 22,000 points that is 2 flights. I guess they can keep my old credits!:laughing: If I convert to credits I would only get 1 ticket.

LOL -- I had the same impression as you -- I have four credits in my account that will sit there until their expiration date. I really think the conversion option is there for people who only need a few credits to complete their free flight -- If I had 14 credits already and only needed two more -- it makes sense.

I did the offer when it was 2 free tickets at the end of February and they gave me the 20000 points. I canceled the card right away and told them I was not interested. I even printed everything out and they would not honor it.

LOL -- I had the same impression as you -- I have four credits in my account that will sit there until their expiration date. I really think the conversion option is there for people who only need a few credits to complete their free flight -- If I had 14 credits already and only needed two more -- it makes sense.

You are probably right. Also, if someone is looking to go across the US it may work out better for them. But LI to MCO is usually a pretty inexpensive ticket. Which was why I never got the credit card before this. New plan works for us though.

Got my credits, window to book is open but I am hesitating because I know that I may have to change dates still. Does anyone know what happens to the credits if you need to change dates? Do they simply transfer over to the new flilght? If the price is less, are you credited back points? I'm so confused!

So are the odds stacked up against me thinking I will be able to use the 4 free flights for our trip in November:confused:

So are the odds stacked up against me thinking I will be able to use the 4 free flights for our trip in November:confused:

If you got in after 3/1 then you will be fine. If you earned awards prior to 3/1 there will be restrictions..

I don't understand..you were supposed to get 2 free round trip tickets and all they gave you was 20,000 points, instead of the 38,400 you should have gotten, that would then be converted, once SW got it into 2 free roundtrip tickets?

Something isn't right with that.

What did you do with the 20,000 points..the value of those would have only been enough for one round trip tix, unless you caught a really good deal. Sounds like they made a mistake somewhere. Did you send them the form you filled out that showed you were supposed to get two round trip tickets? Usually Chase if very good about that. Did you complain to SW rewards?

I did the offer when it was 2 free tickets at the end of February and they gave me the 20000 points. I canceled the card right away and told them I was not interested. I even printed everything out and they would not honor it.

Hello. I am new here and stumbled upon this site while searching google for problems that I am having. I got my promotional certificates on 3/15. Unfortunately, when I go to book the promo certificates, there are absolutely no flights available under the "certificate" heading. I've searched over 100 itineraries and dates and everything is just blank. Is anyone else having this problem. This is starting to become a huge disappointment.

Hello. I am new here and stumbled upon this site while searching google for problems that I am having. I got my promotional certificates on 3/15. Unfortunately, when I go to book the promo certificates, there are absolutely no flights available under the "certificate" heading. I've searched over 100 itineraries and dates and everything is just blank. Is anyone else having this problem. This is starting to become a huge disappointment.

Myself, and some others on this or other threads, have had to CALL in order to book our certificate flights. I did not find any flights 'available' to select when doing a search online. I had to call and speak to someone. My original date had no flights available, but the following day did have some available.

From BUF to MCO at the end of August, I was able to get nonstop both ways - but had to tweak my flight THERE back one day and my flight home back 2 days....So had to be somewhat flexible but likely saved over $1000 - so definitely worth it.

Try calling and see what they find.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter