Southwest Airlines 2 free flights credit card offer-What's the catch?

I obtained the credit card last year around this time with the same promotion. I am using the credits for tickets this March. I believe you need to use the credits about a year or so after you obtain the credit card ( had until early April to use them) , and you probably just need to make your reservations far enough in advance to make sure there are seats available on your intended flight to use the credits.

I did it the end of September and received my ticket credits online in about 5wks I think. I actually did 4 oneways and purchased 2 more oneways on SWA then did 6 oneways on United (I also had points to use with United). It is for spring break and they were still available in December. My total for the 4 oneways was $10 ($2.50 per ticket--one way)

Side note: the 2 tickets I paid for on SWA went down in price by $25 each so I received a credit for $50 which I used for an unrelated trip for my MIL

--

If you decide to go for the offer PRINT AND SAVE ALL DOCUMENTATION. I did it and when I called to activate the card (a week ago) they told me the offer was one round trip. I immediately corrected "Stephanie" and was told to fax my documentation. I did so Jan 29th, made my 1st charge Jan 30th and am waiting for my awards to post. I may have a battle ahead of me, but I am armed with all the documentation printed out and they'd better be prepared to honor the offer.

Always a good idea to save documentation of whatever offer you're applying for.

I received my 32 credits (2 roundtrips) without incident.

BobK/Orlando

Always a good idea to save documentation of whatever offer you're applying for.

I received my 32 credits (2 roundtrips) without incident.

BobK/Orlando

Hey Bob,

How recently did you apply / receive your credits? I am waiting, but hope to have them by 2/28/11 so I can convert them to one RT Freedom Award (there's a method to my madness...)

JC

Thanks Lidodeck for the warning! I know the flights I need are going to be posted on the 9th. If I find a good price go ahead and buy them, then decide to get this offer do you think I can get a refund on two of the flights once the point come in?

You would only get a refund if you purchased anytime fares. If you purchase wanna get away fares, you would receive credit, which you could use to fly up to a year after your initial purchase.

I got this offer last year in an email on May 6th and the first years fee was waived. I'm pretty sure I applied for the card within a week after receiving the email and it was probably about a week before I got the card in the mail. The credits were deposited in my RR account on June 20. So that was probably around 4-5 weeks after I first used the card.

Okay, I have been trying to do some research on this offer, but I just keep getting more and more confused because of all the rewards changes. :confused: We never qualify for any of the Rapid Rewards so we would not even be concerned with that.

My question is...my husband and I are going to WDW in October. Could I apply for the card, pay the $59.00 annual fee, use it once, payoff the card, and then cancel the card by the end of the year (after our trip) and receive the 2 round trip flights that I could use in October?

Thanks!

Yes..just don't cancel until they put the points into your rewards. Once they transer it you can cancel. We've done it a few times, because we always cancel the card, then they send a deal for two roundtrips and no yearly fee, because 'they miss us'. We also get one card for my husband and one for me...we do not put each other's names on the cards. We got (last time they did this deal) 4 round trips for signing up, and we each got 2 more each for resigning up for a total of 8 round trips! The problem is finding so many places to go.

My question is...my husband and I are going to WDW in October. Could I apply for the card, pay the $59.00 annual fee, use it once, payoff the card, and then cancel the card by the end of the year (after our trip) and receive the 2 round trip flights that I could use in October?

Thanks!

my guess would be to first see if they even give you a card. bad credit = no card and no 2 free flights.

Yes..just don't cancel until they put the points into your rewards. Once they transer it you can cancel. We've done it a few times, because we always cancel the card, then they send a deal for two roundtrips and no yearly fee, because 'they miss us'. We also get one card for my husband and one for me...we do not put each other's names on the cards. We got (last time they did this deal) 4 round trips for signing up, and we each got 2 more each for resigning up for a total of 8 round trips! The problem is finding so many places to go.

Thank you so much for your help! I do have a few more questions...

Is there a maximum amount the ticket can be? As of right now our trip dates are 10/8 (Saturday and would like the first flight of the day) and back on Wed 10/12 (later flight) but I was worried that Sat am would be more expensive, so we were considering leaving last flight out on Friday 10/9. If I have the 2 free RT flights, then it would not matter assuming there is no cap on price.

THen last question, while trying to read about the offer, many are talking about the new RR program changes and changing billing dates on the card so they can get credits, etc. I get so confused. :guilty: So will it be a problem that the flights we would be using these for, have not even been released yet? How long would the free flights be good for?

Last (for this post anyway!!) question, if I apply for the card will it be a problem booking a flight in my name and my husbands?

Again, sorry to ask so many questions, I wish there was a bit more detail on SW site. I am sure I will end up calling SW but I like to hear others experiences and thoughts incase that triggers other questions for me!!

Thanks!

Thanks Lidodeck for the warning! I know the flights I need are going to be posted on the 9th. If I find a good price go ahead and buy them, then decide to get this offer do you think I can get a refund on two of the flights once the point come in?

ONLY if you book a refundable (much higher) fare. If it's a holiday or really important trip, you might want to use the free awards another time rather than waiting to book.

my guess would be to first see if they even give you a card. bad credit = no card and no 2 free flights.

Well, I don't want to have an inquiry into my credit for something that is not worth it. That is why I wanted more information. I have excellent credit so I am not worried about that part.

Hey Bob, How recently did you apply / receive your credits? I am waiting, but hope to have them by 2/28/11 so I can convert them to one RT Freedom Award (there's a method to my madness...)
JC

A few months ago. People who earn awards before the switchover to points automatically can use them for a roundtrip ticket. So if you get the card now you can try to get the tickets you need, subject to current capacity control availability.

BobK/Orlando

I applied 2 weeks ago for another SW Chase offer. We got 1 free flight, after our first purchase. We just got the card and haven't used that flight yet. We also got $500 in GC/credit (?), which we haven't seen yet, either. I talked to the Chase rep I called to activate the card and she confirmed that we'll get all these things. I guess we'll see.

BTW, I have the Chase Disney Visa. I applied when they were offering $50 in Disney Rewards Points after I made my first purchase. They made good on that offer so I'm hoping they do the same for this SW card.

Thank you so much for your help! I do have a few more questions...

Is there a maximum amount the ticket can be? As of right now our trip dates are 10/8 (Saturday and would like the first flight of the day) and back on Wed 10/12 (later flight) but I was worried that Sat am would be more expensive, so we were considering leaving last flight out on Friday 10/9. If I have the 2 free RT flights, then it would not matter assuming there is no cap on price.
No, they just have to have available seats. Right now, the seats are limited, but if I book early enough and it's not a holiday, I've not had a problem getting seats. W usually use ours from NYS to CA..the best use of our free tickets.

THen last question, while trying to read about the offer, many are talking about the new RR program changes and changing billing dates on the card so they can get credits, etc. I get so confused. :guilty: So will it be a problem that the flights we would be using these for, have not even been released yet? How long would the free flights be good for?
They have to be used within a year of being posted to your reward account (make sure you have a reward account before applying for the card). Depending on when you get them, they may come as points and be under the new program...and those rules are different.

Last (for this post anyway!!) question, if I apply for the card will it be a problem booking a flight in my name and my husbands?

Again, sorry to ask so many questions, I wish there was a bit more detail on SW site. I am sure I will end up calling SW but I like to hear others experiences and thoughts incase that triggers other questions for me!!

Thanks!

Nope, no problem using them for anyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter