Sleep Apnea

Hi! I hope that all is well with everyone! I just wanted to give an update on how my DH was doing with his sleep apnea. He is having a hard time falling asleep once the tube and straps are on him. It has been a couple of weeks since he started and he just can't seem to get used to it. I'm afraid that he's going to give up and I keep on encouraging him to keep on trying. The problem is that he is claustrophobic so when he went for the study they switched him from a mask to a nasal tube aparatus. It gets placed at the entrance of his nostrils and then straps around his head to hold it. He finds that when it turns while he's trying to sleep, it shifts and becomes annoying. I don't know what to do for him. He is getting even less sleep now since he'll stay up until the very early hours, hoping to be tired enough to fall into a deep sleep. he has a doctor appt. on Nov. 5th. Until then, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thanks!!!!!

UGH! I feel his frustration! I had that problem too. For me, a different mask helped a lot and then just getting used to it. One trick was to prop a pillow "just so" so that my cheek was actually laying on a corner of the pillow and the mask was kinda hanging off the side of the pillow. It seems to work for me.

My equipment provider was really good at helping me with all this...she also mentioned to me that no mask is totally leak free. There will be some leaks that just seem to happen (it's hard to get an "air tight" seal on your face...and be comfortable like that!). Your DH might want to play with the fitting/adjustment of the mask to minimize the leaks so that it's comfortable enough for him to relax.

To be honest, while I seemed to get used to the pressure really quick, it was almost 6 months or more before I felt truly comfortable with the mask.

The doctor may be able to prescribe something to help him get to sleep quickly as well.

Tell him to keep trying, change masks if he has to. I've had some other "medical problems" caused by the CPAP but my doctor agrees that not using the CPAP is not an option. The risks and health dangers caused by untreated sleep apnea far outweigh some of the "side effects" we have to deal with.

Even if he's only getting a couple hours of sleep...he's actually getting better quality sleep with the mask on.

I hope things get better soon!! They really will!!

I was suppose to have a sleep study done recently and I cancelled it......I probably should get it done as sometimes I wake up choking..like once a month. I do not sleep well at all and now with the added stress, I am up before the birds or the sun..

Please let us know how you are doing....and hopefully others will post and you can share...

I hope you will reconsider the sleep study, Marsha and make another appointment. I went last night (I did not want to go at all but my DH and our children really pressured me) and (I think) I'm glad I did finally do it. I fell asleep about midnight and woke up at 4:15am. I have a follow up on Nov. 27 with the doctor. However, the technician told me this morning that I certainly did not waste my night and that I probably should have had the test done a long time ago. I have no idea as to what this means and I haven't read through all the threads so I don't know what to expect.

I will let you know what the results show.

I hope you will reconsider the sleep study, Marsha and make another appointment. I went last night (I did not want to go at all but my DH and our children really pressured me) and (I think) I'm glad I did finally do it. I fell asleep about midnight and woke up at 4:15am. I have a follow up on Nov. 27 with the doctor. However, the technician told me this morning that I certainly did not waste my night and that I probably should have had the test done a long time ago. I have no idea as to what this means and I haven't read through all the threads so I don't know what to expect.

Hey! You are right about where I was a year ago when I started this thread! ;)

I hope the follow up goes well!

If the results show that you have apnea (so many "arousal" episodes a night) they will probably schedule a second test to see if CPAP will help you and what the settings would need to be.

If you need a CPAP machine, it will take some getting used to...but I got fairly used to it pretty quickly. Mostly I was amazed at how much easier it is to breathe at night.

I wish you the best:hug: Hang in there and let us know what happens! Sleep apnea is not something to mess around with!!

I need some advice....

I've not missed a night sleeping with my CPAP since I got it back in September. I LOVE it and can't imagine sleeping without it. I don't wake up with my heart racing in a blind panic anymore. :cloud9:

But, recently DH said that I am snoring even when wearing it. I've also started to feel very tired during the day again, and I'm falling asleep all the time.

I'm not sure what to do. :confused3

I need some advice....

I've not missed a night sleeping with my CPAP since I got it back in September. I LOVE it and can't imagine sleeping without it. I don't wake up with my heart racing in a blind panic anymore. :cloud9:

But, recently DH said that I am snoring even when wearing it. I've also started to feel very tired during the day again, and I'm falling asleep all the time.

I'm not sure what to do. :confused3

You need to let your doctor know, they may have to adjust your settings again.

I too seem to have the same problem. Recently, on a trip to Ireland, my friend said I was snoring :confused3 . I use a full mask,which I love, but it does let me sleep even with my mouth open. I may go back to the other one I first used which just covered my nose. I also find myself falling asleep at work..but that could be my boring job and the fact that I get up at 2:30 am for work :laughing:

So sorry I have not been in touch since this last post about sleep apnea. I have been using a CPAP machine since last Feb. I went from the mask to the nasal pillow (size M) and it has made a big change in my life. I can now stay awake all day and I do not fall asleep standing up as I almost did before the CPAP machine. I have to admit that there are some nights when I take it off about 4:30 am but most nights it is on until morning. I have to adjust the humidity on occasion or I am soaked because of the water running out of the hose and down my face! When I went for the last sleep study, I stopped breathing 571 times in the run of 4 hours which is a little frightening.

I guess my only suggestion to anyone beginning this new way of sleeping is to just hang in there and you will eventually get used to being Darth Vader!! If I can answer any questions, please either post them or pm me. Good Luck to all of you. Barbara

My husband has had this issue once or twice. There are a few things that can interfere with the quality of the positive air pressure you are experiencing. Sorry so much if any of these seem like no-brainers. They are all things that we actually had an issue with him starting to have issues again until we realized.

1. Check the filters - a dirty filter can definitely reduce effectiveness.

2. Have you gotten your mask and hoses replaced on a regular schedule? Those things get less airtight over time.

3. Make sure that the machine is properly calibrated - often the place you get the CPAP from will have some way to get the pressure checked periodically.

4. OK, this doesn't apply to women, but I'll mention it anyhow. My husband used to have a moustache and that was interfering with the seal he was able to get with the mask - once he shaved, he got a much better seal.

5. Do let your doctor know if you can't resolve it on your own. You may need another sleep study, different pressure, different mask or a different machine.

Good luck with this. It's incredible how much of a difference the CPAPs can make when they're working well, isn't it?

there is so much useful info in this thread and I just found it.

I am getting my cpap tomorrow so much of this info is helpful. I haven't heard from the dr. yet so I don't even know my test results. Just that I need the machine.

Glad you found it helpful!

The machine may take some getting used to but in the long run it will be worth it!!

Let us (me??;) ) know how it goes!

Thanks. I hope it will be helpful. I am tired of falling asleep at my desk and not having any energy. I also am always stiff and sore and my back has been hurting for 2 years. After my second sleep study using the mask, my back has felt so much better. I will check back in after I get the unit and let you all know how I am doing.

Hiwaygal~ are you still having success with the machine?

Yep! It's really become second nature to me now. I find it hard to fall asleep without it. Many of the symptoms you are describing (no energy, falling asleep at your desk, etc) are what I experienced too. I'm definitely doing a lot better now.

I never noticed the DRASTIC change that others describe, but I do notice a difference.

My friends DH just had his second sleep study last night and he's had so many problems (heart, blood pressure) that this will help!

It really will help you! Don't get discouraged if you have some difficulty adjusting to the machine.

Well I have had my machine for 2 nights now. The first night I only went for 10 minutes. All I could hear was me breathing and it sounded like Darth Vader. The second night I went for an hour and a half. I finally took it off because of condensation in the mask. It was dripping on my nose and tickled.

I use a pressure of 8 and found a memory foam mask. It is very light and comfortable. I just need to get used to having a hose attached to me. I know it will take a bit to become desensitized to the whole thing and actually sleep the whole night. I do like it because I can breathe. I found out I am a shallow breather and tend to hold my breath. When I took off the mask, it felt like something heavy on my chest.

Something else you may notice at first is that your chest feels uncomfortable in the morning. I think it's because the mask makes you breathe more deeply and kinda "stretches" your chest muscles. Mine would ache in the mornings then subside. I guess it did that for a couple of weeks/months and it's not an issue any more.

Getting used to the hose does take a little time...but it gets better. I always thought they should make them a little longer.

Do you have an adjustable setting on your humidifier? You might try turning it down (if you can) to keep the condensation to a minimum. I've only had that problem once or twice because I had the humidity set too warm/high. I tend to like cold air better so I rarely have the condensation problems.

It sounds like you are making progress!! Keep it up!!

I am making progress. I slept the whole night with the mask. I am still yawning alot during the day. I think I shallow breathe during the day too.

I still had condensation issues, but I just took off the mask, used a tissue to dry it and put it back on. I have the heater set at 1 which is pretty low. I think I will try covering the hose too.

I do like the feeling of being able to breathe more easily while wearing the mask.

Any of you on here that didn't know/feel you had a problem. Have you noticed changes and been happy with the C-pap?

DH didn't know he had an issue and when I told him he stopped breathing during the night, his response was "well I start again don't I". Now he's had the sleep test and he goes tomorrow for the second one with the machine and he's fully on board and everything but since he didn't ever notice any symptoms, I wonder if he'll notice any benefits?

I had no clue that I had a problem. I have other medical issues that I thought were making me feel tired all the time. After getting it all under control, my doc sent me for a sleep study. I was SHOCKED at how often I stopped breathing.

He will notice benefits. It may be right away or it may take a few months but he will notice.

The biggest thing to remind him is that there are so many problems that sleep apnea can cause (especially heart problems!) and that treating the apnea is much more important than people think sometimes.

I had no clue that I had a problem. I have other medical issues that I thought were making me feel tired all the time. After getting it all under control, my doc sent me for a sleep study. I was SHOCKED at how often I stopped breathing.

He will notice benefits. It may be right away or it may take a few months but he will notice.

The biggest thing to remind him is that there are so many problems that sleep apnea can cause (especially heart problems!) and that treating the apnea is much more important than people think sometimes.
He's totally on board with it. He knows it's an issue now that he's educated himself on it a little bit and been for the study. He's got a great attitude and is willing to use the C-Pap. We haven't heard the results of the test yet, just that he has it and needs the machine. I imagine he'll get his results when he goes for his 2 week follow up after getting the cpap.

It does sound like you knew that you were feeling tired all the time. He doesn't seem to think he is tired all the time.

When you say he will notice benefits, I wonder if you could tell me what kinds of things he might notice. Why would it take a few months to notice benefits? Wouldn't it be immediate?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter