Sleep Apnea

hiwaygal

Only someone as wonderful as Donna can get my PM's
Well, I thought I would make good use of this new board as well.

I was just diagnosed with sleep apnea and I'm going for my second sleep study this weekend. This second study will determine the settings for a CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) machine to help me.

I posted something on the CB the other day and got lots of great advice and support (as usual!) and I'm hoping to start this thread for anyone out there who has sleep apnea (or thinks they might); for anyone who uses a CPAP machine (or VPAP or any other) and how they deal with using the machine for travel, etc.

Come share your stories and experiences!!!

I was suppose to have a sleep study done recently and I cancelled it......I probably should get it done as sometimes I wake up choking..like once a month. I do not sleep well at all and now with the added stress, I am up before the birds or the sun..

Please let us know how you are doing....and hopefully others will post and you can share...

My DH has Sleep Apnea, He uses a CPAP machine and has tried 4 different masks..
He really isn't fond of any of them. He keeps me awake with his snoring, and It is very frightning when he stops breathing 100+ times a night.
Be sure to get a mask you can live with..
Deb

Hi Rachel!! Glad you popped in! I hope you will share your experiences here too!!

Mackey Mouse...the sleep study wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I was pretty worked up about it before I went the first time. But the place was nice and I was able to sleep enough for them to determine there is a problem. After it was all said and done, it wasn't that bad...of course, I'm saying that now and still stressing a bit about the second test this coming Saturday :rotfl: From what I've heard (from the folks here on the DIS) if you have a problem and need the CPAP machine, it will help SOOOO much. I'm actually looking forward to that help...and feeling better! :grouphug: I hope you reschedule and start to feel better soon!!

Deb...the mask is one part that kinda worries me. I can probably get used to many of them, but comfort is key! I hope your DH can find one that is more comfortable for him. Does he feel the CPAP therapy has helped him?

I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea as well. I had an appointment with the sleep doctor yesterday to go over the report from my sleep study, and he has ordered my machine.

I am not looking forward to this on many levels - I felt a little claustraphobic with the mask on, and I am concerned on how the noise of the machine will bother my husband, not to mention what I will look like with the mask on. I always have to get up at night at least once to go to the bathroom, so I am concerned about how difficult it will be to stop the machine, and then come back and hook everything back up in the dark in the middle of the night.

I hated my sleep study because they told me I had to sleep on my back the entire time, and by the end of 7 hours my back was killing me. I usually sleep on my side. Of course the doctor told me yesterday that they should have let me sleep on my side part of the time!

I hope I can get this to work. I'd love to actually sleep through the night.

Denise

My husband and I both have sleep apnea ( I am betting our 5 year old does too but they said they usually wait till 6 or 7 diagnose because of the mask issue). We were diagnosed about 2+ years ago. I wear a mask that has 2 small nubs that fit into the nostrils and I find this works for me and doesn't give you a claustrophobic feeling. My husband is a mouth breather and so he needs a full face mask. I would NEVER sleep without it anymore and even if I go away for 1 night I bring it and wear it because even if i find it a little annoying I know that I feel so much better with it that it is worth the discomfort.

I used to get a sore throat at night and even when I woke up, I felt like I had swollen glands. I had to get up ever night to go to the bathroom and I felt tired all the time. Now I sleep all night and no more sore throat. I feel so much better.

The sleep study really isn't so bad and the benefits of the CPAP make up for the bother.

I have sleep apnea and right now I am using a full mask. The new machines are very quiet, and they shouldn't bother your spouse at all. As for getting up during the night to potty, I just unclip the mask and go. I do not find the mask claustraphobic at all, and I can't imagine sleeping without it.

Good Monday morning everyone!!

Well, I had my second sleep study on Saturday night. This was where they tested the CPAP machine on me.

I was a bit nervous, but it wasn't too bad.

We picked out two masks so if I wanted to switch during the night it could be quick.

I started with a full mask and thought that was going to be okay...but I guess about an hour or so after I fell asleep, something happened. Not sure what but it made me feel like I couldn't breath and I had to take it off. After that we went to the nose only mask and it turned out AMAZINGLY well!! There were a few moments of "panic", but really, that was to be expected (not being used to it and all).

When they woke me up to go home, I actually felt pretty good!

So, I go back on the 30th to see what happens next!

Thanks to Denise W, brytorlyn, and cassie for sharing your experiences!!! I hope those who have been using the machine can help us newbies learn how to adapt to all of this!!

hiwaygal said:
Good Monday morning everyone!!

I started with a full mask and thought that was going to be okay...but I guess about an hour or so after I fell asleep, something happened. Not sure what but it made me feel like I couldn't breath and I had to take it off. After that we went to the nose only mask and it turned out AMAZINGLY well!! There were a few moments of "panic", but really, that was to be expected (not being used to it and all).

When they woke me up to go home, I actually felt pretty good!

I'm happy to hear that the titration night went well and that you felt "pretty good" in the morning!

Just remember that if things aren't going quite right when you start using the machine at home to not stop using it per se. They can be adjusted in pressure, using BiPAP instead of CPAP, readjusting the mask, trying a new mask, trying CFlex or BiFlex, etc. There are so many other health benefits to using a CPAP machine beyond the obvious ............. for example, studies have shown a connection between OSA and CHF. Work with your doctor and the sleep lab until it works for you!

CPAP - it can change your life!

I have an appointment next week for the Medical supply company to deliver my machine and show me how to use it. They are bringing all the different masks so I can try them all. I'll let you know what happens.

Denise

GDUL said:
I'm happy to hear that the titration night went well and that you felt "pretty good" in the morning!

Just remember that if things aren't going quite right when you start using the machine at home to not stop using it per se. They can be adjusted in pressure, using BiPAP instead of CPAP, readjusting the mask, trying a new mask, trying CFlex or BiFlex, etc. There are so many other health benefits to using a CPAP machine beyond the obvious ............. for example, studies have shown a connection between OSA and CHF. Work with your doctor and the sleep lab until it works for you!

CPAP - it can change your life!

You know, I was really surprised at how I felt that morning. Of course, it wore off pretty quickly, but it was noticeable.

I am interested in the other machine features, but I'm not sure when those are "prescribed". They only used the CPAP on me (even though I did ask about the one that has a different pressure for inhale and exhale...is that the BiPAP?).

I didn't really have a problem with the regular CPAP and just the nose mask. Or at least nothing I couldn't get used to...except the dryness. I will definitely need some kind of humidifier. But I like the cold air...and everything else seemed fine.

My only question now is how long will it take to get my machine and everything so I can have one of these nifty things AT HOME!!! :teeth:

hiwaygal said:
You know, I was really surprised at how I felt that morning. Of course, it wore off pretty quickly, but it was noticeable.

I am interested in the other machine features, but I'm not sure when those are "prescribed". They only used the CPAP on me (even though I did ask about the one that has a different pressure for inhale and exhale...is that the BiPAP?).

I didn't really have a problem with the regular CPAP and just the nose mask. Or at least nothing I couldn't get used to...except the dryness. I will definitely need some kind of humidifier. But I like the cold air...and everything else seemed fine.

My only question now is how long will it take to get my machine and everything so I can have one of these nifty things AT HOME!!! :teeth:

Many of the options that I mentioned are prescribed - changes in pressure, CPAP vs BiPAP, CFlex, BiFlex, etc. The homecare company that delivers your CPAP will be able to answer these questions for you in the future should they arise. If you are having problems with dryness, definitely have a humidifer ordered. You should be able to change the heater plate temperature so that you can cool it down a bit. You might even have the option of turning the heater off so that you are just using the humidifer as a cool passover. Just remember that as you decrease the temperature of the humidifier plate, you decrease the amount of humidity that you are getting. It may take some trial and error but hopefully you can reach a comfortable setting of both temperature and humidity.

"They only used the CPAP on me (even though I did ask about the one that has a different pressure for inhale and exhale...is that the BiPAP?)." Yes, this is BiPAP!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

I got my CPAP machine 2 days ago. I had a great therapist deliver it and instruct me in the use of it. She felt that based on my sleeping habits that the mask that goes in your nostrils would be best for me (I mostly sleep on my side, and usually do not breathe through my mouth). She said they consider you "compliant" if you use the machine at least 4 hours during the night. She said I could start out using it perhaps 45 minutes and try to work up to a full night within 30 days.

The first night I used it for 3 1/2 hours and last night I used it for 5 hours. Both times I took the mask off when I got up to use the bathroom and just didn't bother to put it back on. I didn't feel too uncomfortable with it on, as she programmed it to "ramp" up the pressure over 45 minutes so that I don't get the full "blast" right away. I felt that was a good option and it worked well for me. So, so far I am happy with the machine, and am hoping I'll actually start to get a good night's sleep.

Denise

Denise W said:
I got my CPAP machine 2 days ago. I had a great therapist deliver it and instruct me in the use of it. She felt that based on my sleeping habits that the mask that goes in your nostrils would be best for me (I mostly sleep on my side, and usually do not breathe through my mouth). She said they consider you "compliant" if you use the machine at least 4 hours during the night. She said I could start out using it perhaps 45 minutes and try to work up to a full night within 30 days.

The first night I used it for 3 1/2 hours and last night I used it for 5 hours. Both times I took the mask off when I got up to use the bathroom and just didn't bother to put it back on. I didn't feel too uncomfortable with it on, as she programmed it to "ramp" up the pressure over 45 minutes so that I don't get the full "blast" right away. I felt that was a good option and it worked well for me. So, so far I am happy with the machine, and am hoping I'll actually start to get a good night's sleep.

Denise

That's great news!! Thank you so much for sharing this info!

I have an appointment today with my sleep doc...I'm hoping they will tell me I can get one of these machines. I just don't know how long it will take.

I like the idea of letting it "ramp up" to a higher pressure over time.

Does your machine have a humidifier too? I really think I will need one, but I do want COLD air.

I really thought I would breathe through my mouth, but I found with the nose mask and having the pressure, I was able to breathe through my nose and it was nicer.

Are you feeling any better? Did you notice a difference at all?

ETA: I just read back through your posts...I was trying to figure out how long it took for you to get your machine. It looks like about two weeks or so. I think the appointment you had with your doc (that you posted about around the 14th) is the one I have today...guess I'll find out later for sure! :teeth:

OMG!!! Great news!!! :yay:

I had my follow up with the sleep doc today.

They said the CPAP machine seemed to help and that my insurance allowed them to be the distributer...so I was able to bring a machine home TODAY!!!

I'm actually very excited!! I have it all set up next to my bed, DH bought me some distilled water for the little humidifier thingy, and I'm actually looking forward to using this thing tonight!

Basically...it's all "done"! I go back in February to make sure I'm using it properly. They said that it's considered a rental for the first two months, after that, if everything seems good, my insurance company will "buy" it.

So...I'm anxious to see how this all works!!!

Yes, my machine does have a humidifier and heater. So far I have it on a low setting but I think i will turn it up slowly. I am having to cough from a dry throat, so I think I need to turn it up. I actually got a call from the medical supply people 2 days after my doctor's appointment wanting to bring the machine over, so they musthave lots in stock.

My insurance covers 90% so I had to pay about $35 up front and then rent the machine for about $5 for 10 months and then it is mine.

Last night I didn't use it at all becuase of some other personal issues, but now that it is the weekend I want to try to use it all night tonight and tomorrow night.

I haven't noticed and difference yet in my sleeping, but it hasn't been that hard to get used to, so far.

Good luck to you!

Denise

Hmmmm...wonder if they ever did a study to find out if the name Denise causes sleep apnea! :rotfl: ;)

I think I did quite well last night...slept with it for all but maybe an hour or so. But I keep getting the feeling that I don't have the mask on right and it's leaking...so I'm afraid to move or anything. It's probably just that I have to get used to it

Good luck to you too!!!

Night 2 with the CPAP machine.

You know, when I woke up this morning, my nose felt weird...numb sorta! :rotfl: But I did feel like I got a good fit on the mask last night...kept it on all night, and managed to find a way to sleep on my side! :banana:

I'm not sure I'm using the humidifier thing right (too many buttons to figure out :rotfl: ) and I wish they would re-set the "ramp up" feature to go longer than the 25 minutes they give me...I need more like 45 minutes or more...

mmmm, something about the name Denise!!

I used my machine last night for the whole night for the first time, about 8 hours. I got up once to use the bathroom and disconnected the hose so I could keep the mask on. When I reconnected it in the dark (and being sleepy) I must not have gotten a tight connection, because when I woke up again in 3 hours I realized it was leaking air. But at least I made it through the whole night and the mask didn't bother me (too much). I think from now on if I have to get up during the night I'll just take the mask off.

What brand machine do you have? I need to read the whole book this weekend to make sure I am doing everything correctly, even though the therapist was very good about showing me the operation of it.

I know on my machine I can change the ramp up feature (of course I haven't figured out how to do it yet!), but mine is set for 45 minutes and that seems about right for me.

Denise

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter